Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Thrasophius posted:

I think the bug where republics build trade posts on the other side of the globe is still in (or at least it seems to be in my game)

It should have been fixed, is it an older save?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Farecoal posted:

It should have been fixed, is it an older save?

I actually completely forgot about that, it is indeed a save from before the hotfix so that explains it. Doesn't matter too much I've taken over the only merchant republics so I can form the roman empire so all the trade post have disappeared.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I've been enjoying the crap out of this game but one little thing that's kind of nagging; I started playing Venice and it feels like merchant republics are hideously powerful. That morale boost to pikemen makes them ludicrously difficult to break if they aren't hideously outnumbered. I'm just spamming pikemen retinues all over and eating everything. One successful crusade was all it took. Once I had Israel and 12 trading posts it was just "declare holy war, win holy war, repeat."

I feel like it's almost an exploit. Just spam pikemen and shock retinues, conquer everything that isn't Catholic.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

As someone from new Orleans thought I'd give you some advice if that's cool. There's a huge culture gap between the city proper and north Louisiana. I would def split it and make new Orleans a merchant republic. It would fit so well.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's bizarre. The game crashes every five minutes, I do the cmd workaround and disable all non-core DLCs. Game crashes instantly on startup. Then I disable RoI and suddenly everything is right as rain. Why? Are the Indian Portraits really that space-consuming?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I made one of my kinsmen into a Dodge but, he hasn't built any trade posts. Is there something I'm supposed to do to get him started?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Azuth0667 posted:

I made one of my kinsmen into a Dodge but, he hasn't built any trade posts. Is there something I'm supposed to do to get him started?

Cars aren't very good at building things :v:

Make sure the capital county the doge is in has at least one rank in Trade Practice tech.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I decided to try actually playing as norse pagan for real and I've conquered all of Sweden and Norway plus Sjælland for the third holy site, now I just need the 750 piety and 50% moral authority to reform the faith. MA was actually doing well for a long time but now it has dipped to 30%.

I've found out that sacking Rome and Venice is good business though since they're less well defended and they have a lot of money. Venice in particular since they can't really defend themselves once you've landed raiders.

Also, was the AI patched recently to be more aggressive against raiders in general or just against human controlled raiders because I don't think I've ever seen it actually go an attack raiders before.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MrBling posted:

Also, was the AI patched recently to be more aggressive against raiders in general or just against human controlled raiders because I don't think I've ever seen it actually go an attack raiders before.
Yes, it was in the patch notes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finally found out what happens when you add all the salt.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Cantorsdust posted:

Shouldn't Hollywood (and maybe Manhattan) be Jewish? Or South Florida?

Sea-raiding Cubans have long since retaken the global-warmingiflooded ruins of Miami.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahahh, my Petty King got the option to give his daughter in law a tumble.

A few weeks later he dies, his son inherits, then I get this popup:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

Ahahahh, my Petty King got the option to give his daughter in law a tumble.

A few weeks later he dies, his son inherits, then I get this popup:

That's hilarious. My current leader is Doge and has ten of his own kids, but has also sired at least ten other kids with the wives of his sons.

I never get the legitimize bastard pop-up, though. Is that a patrician thing, or because the child is already of my dynasty...or what?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tsyni posted:

That's hilarious. My current leader is Doge and has ten of his own kids, but has also sired at least ten other kids with the wives of his sons.

I never get the legitimize bastard pop-up, though. Is that a patrician thing, or because the child is already of my dynasty...or what?

Usually that goes hand in hand with "my son's an idiot and thinks it is his own!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also if you'll notice under the popup, I'm currently petty king of Brittany. I dont think there's anywhere I can really expand. France would squash me like a bug. Maybe I should try across the channel in england.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SynthOrange posted:

Also if you'll notice under the popup, I'm currently petty king of Brittany. I dont think there's anywhere I can really expand. France would squash me like a bug. Maybe I should try across the channel in england.

Make your powerbase in Ireland. It's the usual tourist destination in Paradox games.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

The exact same thing happened to me. I figured that since his heir was Orthodox I could just let it be but in the 20 years he spent on the throne after converting he flipped half the Empire, including Constantinople.

Once I realized that he'd converted all of his sons except his heir it was my duty as a good Orthodox Doux to have him stabbed to death.

Huh. The same thing happened to me as well. I ended up offering to be vassalized in order to begin my ascent to Byzantine Emperor as the former Count of Naples, and ended up converting to Miaphysism in order to be able to secure the elective succession.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So my uncle rounded up a band of adventurers to replace me as petty king. Fought him tooth and nail but in the end I lost and he revoked all my titles.

Then I became the man I hated. Literally? :confused: So now my former character is running around Europe nursing a hate-on for me now AND I lost my chance to sieze all of brittany because these two idiots were in-fighting and weakening the entire kingdom.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Is there any way to stop constant peasant uprisings in a massive empire? Right now I control Ireland, Wales, Lithuania, all of Africa but Abyssinia and Mali, the Arabic empire, half of the Persian empire, a chunk of Italy, Croatia, and parts of India. I have an uprising somewhere every damned week and it's a complete crap shoot if my vassals can deal with it. Sometimes they can but other times I have to raise a pile of levies and then remember that I did it. Is there a way to stop it? I only have on martial and using him to suppress a territory never seems to accomplish much.

Two of the territories in particular that have been non-stop revolts for a century are heretic strongholds and it just never goes away. It got so bad that I plopped 3,000-strong retinues in each of them permanently.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is there any way to stop constant peasant uprisings in a massive empire? Right now I control Ireland, Wales, Lithuania, all of Africa but Abyssinia and Mali, the Arabic empire, half of the Persian empire, a chunk of Italy, Croatia, and parts of India. I have an uprising somewhere every damned week and it's a complete crap shoot if my vassals can deal with it. Sometimes they can but other times I have to raise a pile of levies and then remember that I did it. Is there a way to stop it? I only have on martial and using him to suppress a territory never seems to accomplish much.

Two of the territories in particular that have been non-stop revolts for a century are heretic strongholds and it just never goes away. It got so bad that I plopped 3,000-strong retinues in each of them permanently.

I'm guessing there's a million cultures and religions going on in your empire. Pick a religion and try to convert everybody by getting correct rulers and using your council.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dante posted:

I'm guessing there's a million cultures and religions going on in your empire. Pick a religion and try to convert everybody by getting correct rulers and using your council.

I haven't really looked at cultures much but 90% of the territory is currently Catholic. I certainly expected new conquests to have issues but really certain areas just revolt all the time no matter what. I have my chaplain running around proselytizing everywhere and heresy hasn't really been much of an issue. The Lollards crop up every now and again but I almost always have 25 learning priests that deal with that real nice. My vassals also seem to do a fine job converting everything to Catholic. Oddly enough the Muslim territories have been pretty placid. It's Miaphysite or Aztec ones that are the biggest pain in the rear end. Though I wonder if that's because there aren't any Muslim empires anymore, with the exception of the last scraps of Mali. Does that affect things? The Muslims seemed to calm down when I wrecked the Fatimid's poo poo.

I'll have to check the cultures though, didn't think of that one.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I dont know if this is well known information but I was watching Arumba's Norse Rebirth campaign and he brought up that if you don't have army leaders assigned then you can't get siege events since they're tied to characters. That's one way to preserve your troops I suppose.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just had the dumbest idea for an Indo-Norse king title I have to share with you: Jarlharaja.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Norse holy roman emperor: Jarlemange

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SynthOrange posted:

I went from this position (actually just the Count of Leon) to King of Castille. So... try for Castille. It's totally a viable expansion path.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Bah! This revokation bug is really getting on my nerves!

The check for whether you can revoke titles is tied to the target's crown law, rather than your own.

This really caused problems for me trying to deal with a troublesome King; since I revoked his Kingdom, but he was a double duke, so I had to try to get rid of his second duchy too.

Unfortunately he didn't accept the second revokation, so we had a civil war. As soon as it started, he formed the Kingdom I just revoked and destroyed.

I don't think rebellions should be able to create new titles.

So I finished the civil war, but now I can't revoke his titles, since they are under a Kingdom with autonomous vassals, so revokation is not allowed.

Now I have to wait for him to raise his crown authority again before I can get rid of that king!

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
ROI has brought on some interesting bugs but this is ridiculous. A king who's the vassal of a duke? I can't declare war on him because he's not independent, but his liege only controls Nepal so I can't subjugate the area i'm interested in.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 19, 2014

Sulla
May 10, 2008
Are there any late Roman empire mods for CK2 yet? I'm thinking this could even be a good idea for a new DLC, now that we have unified revolters, invasion CBs, raiding and of course event-spawned hordes. Of course the proto-feudal structures wouldn't be 100% accurate but it's not like we have that now anyways. I think it'd be fun.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Sulla posted:

Are there any late Roman empire mods for CK2 yet? I'm thinking this could even be a good idea for a new DLC, now that we have unified revolters, invasion CBs, raiding and of course event-spawned hordes. Of course the proto-feudal structures wouldn't be 100% accurate but it's not like we have that now anyways. I think it'd be fun.

I remember there being a post-roman, pre-viking England mod from a while back.

e: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?633659-MOD-Britannia-479-AD-The-Winter-King

Looks like it's still being updated regularly.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 19, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Sulla posted:

There is one called 'Saeculum Obscurum' or something like that, but it's a few patches behind as the mod creator focused on university studies instead, though he's said he plans to work on it again soon.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sulla posted:

I had an one that worked for... 1.082 or whatever that was, I think. Most of the titles and characters were complete (using as many people from this as possible), but then I was away for over a month and I could never get the thing working with updates after that. Some fellow on 4chan's /vg/ made an effort to get it working again, some months back, and he kindly sent me a working copy of his update, but even that's a few patches behind now.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
So what retinues are/aren't worth using?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Any, except light infantry and light cav. Make sure to use culturally appropriate commanders.

e: I moved CK2 to my SSD but the autosaves, even early in a game, still take like 5 seconds. Coupled with how quick a month goes by that's hella annoying. :(

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

The Mattybee posted:

Today I discovered how devastating a 5k strong Welsh longbow retinue can be.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
This is the single most powerful AI blob I have ever seen, so I thought I'd share. At some point while I was playing around in India and not paying attention, the Sunni Caliphate passed from the Abbasid dynasty to the Zahirids, who proceeded to hulk out all over the place. They can call up almost 120,000 troops, four times more then the next largest state (the Francian empire, which resulted from all the surviving Karlings consolidating and then taking over England, Scotland, and Wales.) The Seljuks never really got rolling, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the ilkhanate fares when they show up soon.

That grey blob in Iberia is the Teutonic Order, which was granted the whole kingdom of Andalusia after the first Catholic Crusade in the 960's. They then spent the next century taking the rest of southern Iberia in holy wars. At some point during all that, the King of Asturias successfully converted most of his vassals to Waldensianism. Which probably would have worked out better if their new neighbors weren't a militant Catholic holy order who then spent a few decades gobbling up northern Iberia. They are currently trying to fend off a Zahirid holy war with the help of Franica.

Shortly after this screenshot was taken, the Byzantine Empire lost it's Georgian and Dalmatian holdings, and are now reduced to Rhodes, Crete, Venice, and southern Italy. They also converted to Sunni Islam at some point, so the King of Italy and like half his Dukes are racing to snap up the last of their Italian territory.

Talky fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 20, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Hahahaha, man that AI Iberian Teutonic Kingdom is something awesome. When batshit crazy things like that happen I like to wonder what major world events would be like with these powers at the helm instead of the OTL's. Would you be willing to share a save that I could convert for EUIV? Teutonic-Spain's a nation that deserves its own NI's.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

nutranurse posted:

Hahahaha, man that AI Iberian Teutonic Kingdom is something awesome. When batshit crazy things like that happen I like to wonder what major world events would be like with these powers at the helm instead of the OTL's. Would you be willing to share a save that I could convert for EUIV? Teutonic-Spain's a nation that deserves its own NI's.

Sure thing! I played like 4 more years, but nothing major's changed since that screenshot. I started this game with the goal of uniting India and exporting to EUIV, so I'm I'm playing as Lambakana over in India and am quite pleased with how crazy things are over in Europe.

I think this ought to work, let me know if it doesn't!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80298671/Lanka1042_05_25.ck2

Talky fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 20, 2014

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

The Mattybee posted:

I honestly don't think many cultural ones are bad. Basically gently caress Light Cav (can be fine if mixed with Horse Archers like some of the Altaic cultures get, because Horse Archer are crazy strong) and Light Inf. Greek Cataphracts and English/Welsh longbows are personal favourites (and for just about everyone, really). I've seen people swear by Pikemen but I've never tried them myself. Arabian Camel ones are terrible, worst in the game (although I haven't looked at them since Camels became their own unit type in RoI, but I can't imagine they tweaked the numbers that much when separating them out from Light Cav).

But my personal thing, when not playing Greek/English/Welsh, is to just build up the skirmish retinue though. It's 600 points for 500 men, and building up a stack of 10k of them allows you to instantly assault anything for very few losses -- archers do an enormous amount of morale damage when assaulting a holding, so you'll take even the most built up castle inside a week, usually 3 ticks or so. They're absolute trash in combat but that's beside the point, being able to run in and smash some border provinces for cheap warscore (and prevent a ticking warscore) has enormous value. They're also really strong early game against pagans because you can assault and run out to minimise the attrition penalty.

After that, if you're big enough, then just go hog wild with your cultural retinue, or do a mix of the knight retinue with the shock one for a super strong melee phase. (But once you get past 10k you're strong enough for it to not really matter, to be honest.) It's kinda hard to do badly with retinues full stop, really, most of them are workable.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
If I press the claim of a vassal's vassal will I remain his liege (even if by proxy)? He will be a duke after the war and his current liege is a duke as well. I'm a (3 time) king. No one involved is in my dynasty.

e:

eh, I have a vassal I can imprison with a terrible % of success. I'll just get him to revolt, crush him, strip his titles and land the guy so I can press his claim. Oh feudalism.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alright, so started playing against after my uncle crushed me and took over my position. I'm now in his place and looking at his 2k man army. His maximum army levies are only about 1300 men. I'm not seeing any mercenaries in there. Where did all these extra men come from?

Wait, I inherited 500+ gold as well. Where the gently caress did all this gold come from?!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 20, 2014

• Locked thread