Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

New theory, I have it all figured out. Check and mate Butcher.

The person behind the curtain controlling this entire masquerade is none of than Mrs. Spunkelcrief

Point 1: She alleges to be weak and hard of hearing. She's a loving liar.

Point 2: She's a motherfucking liar and also evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

PreacherTom posted:

Wow. By this logic, a claymore - with its wonderful load of ball bearings - would tear through a battalion of fae like Toot through a pizza.

Tell me this isn't something that Kincaid hasn't considered...

Even if Kincaid hasn't thought of it, you know John Marcone has.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

New theory, I have it all figured out. Check and mate Butcher.

The person behind the curtain controlling this entire masquerade is none of than Mrs. Spunkelcrief

Point 1: She alleges to be weak and hard of hearing. She's a loving liar.

Point 2: She's a motherfucking liar and also evil.

My god man. It all makes sense now!

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I know Butcher's said something that amounts to Justin being dead and never coming back to life, but has he actually said we'll never see him again? I mean, Dresden's travelling to the underworld in the next book, right?

I have a feeling we'll find out that Justin did all that poo poo for 'the greater good'. He obviously knew about the Outsiders, being able to summon one of them and all. My (pretty lovely) theory is that he somehow knew Dresden (and possibly Elaine) was a starborn, and was giving them the tough love training in order to make them as strong as possible. That, or he was corrupted by Nemesis, who wanted to use Dresden rather than just kill him.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Saith posted:

I know Butcher's said something that amounts to Justin being dead and never coming back to life, but has he actually said we'll never see him again? I mean, Dresden's travelling to the underworld in the next book, right?

We definitely know that dead ain't necessarily gone at this point in the series, whatever Butcher says.

quote:

I have a feeling we'll find out that Justin did all that poo poo for 'the greater good'. He obviously knew about the Outsiders, being able to summon one of them and all. My (pretty lovely) theory is that he somehow knew Dresden (and possibly Elaine) was a starborn, and was giving them the tough love training in order to make them as strong as possible. That, or he was corrupted by Nemesis, who wanted to use Dresden rather than just kill him.

Yeah, what we've learned of Justin over the years doesn't really suggest 'wacky megalomaniac' to me so much as 'paranoid dude preparing for the worst'. Having enthralled wizard guardians/foot soldiers who are some of the few mortals capable of affecting Outsiders can only be an asset to someone who, for example, thinks the White Council is hosed and figures that someone should stay alive long enough to deal with Cthulhu when he comes a-callin', and that someone is gonna be him.

Then again, He Who Walks Behind was Justin's pet monster (or possibly the other way around), which suggests that, whatever side he was backing, it isn't necessarily the greater good. (Of course, even with the Nemesis reveal, I don't think we know exactly what the sides are yet.)

Related to this, I think that Cowl (and I think he's probably a reanimated/re-engineered Justin, but even if he's not) and whatever faction he ultimately represents is all about fighting the monsters with their own tools and weapons rather than simply being evil for the sake of evil.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

docbeard posted:

Related to this, I think that Cowl (and I think he's probably a reanimated/re-engineered Justin, but even if he's not) and whatever faction he ultimately represents is all about fighting the monsters with their own tools and weapons rather than simply being evil for the sake of evil.

No one sets out to be evil. They make one turn then another because it seems right and before you know it you have a lair and are muttering to yourself about that blasted fool Dresden and his high and mighty ways. Cowl is evil in the black and white sense of the word and would probably be considered evil even by the most morally grey characters in the Dresdenverse.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Does this series ever go on sale as a whole or do I have to buy it e-book by e-book?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Wachepti posted:

Hello Urban Fantasy thread. Pact by the guy who did Worm is fantastic so far http://pactwebserial.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/bonds-1-1/ . Just a heads up.

... This is actually some amazingly good UF.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

builds character posted:

Does this series ever go on sale as a whole or do I have to buy it e-book by e-book?
there are 2 5 book ebooks on nook's shop, not sure about amazon

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

MasterFugu posted:

there are 2 5 book ebooks on nook's shop, not sure about amazon

Amazon does have collections of books 1-6 and 7-12, but they're $55 each - so it's actually cheaper to buy them all individually, since the collection is then $9.17 per book and most of them look to be $8.54 individually.

If it's too expensive, check your local library, a lot of them do ebooks now.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

builds character posted:

Could always go audiobook (Audible) for these (and use your credits for 'free' ones). James Marsters voice is Dresden to me.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 19, 2014

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Could always go audiobook (Audible) for these (and use your credits for 'free' ones). James Marsters voice is Dresden to me.

I also have gone the audiobook route, and Marsters does an excellent job. Ghost Story was a surreal experience, because Marsters wasn't the reader for that one. Thankfully, it seems that the parties involved are aware of the backlash, and Marsters seems to be locked into the position now.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I kinda wanna listen to some Dresden considering all the gushing praise I've heard over the years, but at the same time audiobooks are unbearably slow compared to reading and I dunno if I'd have the patience when it's just a reread.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 19, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Wolpertinger posted:

I kinda wanna listen to some Dresden considering all the gushing praise I've heard over the years, but at the same time audiobooks are unbearably slow compared to reading and I dunno if I'd have the patience when it's just a reread.

For this, there are short clips out there if you just want to hear what it sounds like.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Wolpertinger posted:

It's all about listening to them on your commute.

Kreega Bondola
May 28, 2008

Meinberg posted:

I also have gone the audiobook route, and Marsters does an excellent job. Ghost Story was a surreal experience, because Marsters wasn't the reader for that one. Thankfully, it seems that the parties involved are aware of the backlash, and Marsters seems to be locked into the position now.

I started with the audiobooks and thought that the guy who read Ghost Story was great. I actually wish they'd kept him for the rest of series.

At the very least you've gotta admit he made the perfect Butters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

docbeard posted:

I think Ferrovax, like everyone and everything else that was at Bianca's party, will prove to be important in some way, sure. I don't quite see Dude What Showed Up For Five Minutes This One Time as the secret power behind the throne. His being allied with/subverted the Black Council/Nemesis is certainly not out of the question, though I don't think we know enough to be sure either way.

Well, we did already have that plotline with the secretary that was subverting the White Council.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

EVGA Longoria posted:

It's all about listening to them on your commute.

This guy gets it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Do people listen to audio books when not commuting? Because that doesnt even make sense. Driving is the perfect time to listen books/podcasts.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Do people listen to audio books when not commuting? Because that doesnt even make sense. Driving is the perfect time to listen books/podcasts.

I'll sometimes have one on in the background when I'm playing a videogame or doing something largely automated at work, but if it's something I actually want to give my attention to, yeah, that's what long commutes (especially bus commutes) were made for.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Exercising as well.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

SpookyLizard posted:

I draw for a living so audiobooks are prefect background noise while I'm at my drawing table all day.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

SpookyLizard posted:

Dishes, laundry, yard work, etc.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

I generally only listen to them when I'm hunting, otherwise I prefer the dead tree version.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
:siren: Skin Game chapter 1 up :siren:

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

:siren: Skin Game chapter 1 up :siren:

Wasn't the first chapter already released in the back if Cold Days paperback?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

why oh WHY posted:

Some of us are addicts who can't wait for the paperback to buy the book :v:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

why oh WHY posted:

Those of us that bought the Kindle versions got screwed. You get a cover that promises it, but it isn't there.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
So, is that Merlin in the preview chapter?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I think it probably is, as it would be a neat reference to the old legends with crystal caves and whatnot.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
That's what I was thinking too.

Also, Parkour!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It would really bother me if Merlin speaks in a modern British accent instead of 6th-century Breton. I may be the only person this would bother.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It would really bother me if Merlin speaks in a modern British accent instead of 6th-century Breton. I may be the only person this would bother.

Could be worse, he could've sounded Irish like the actor in the miniseries some folks on the internet are upset about.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wade Wilson posted:

Could be worse, he could've sounded Irish like the actor in the miniseries some folks on the internet are upset about.

A thick Welsh accent might be tolerable.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Why? We already know he's a time traveler thanks to Demonreach. Maybe he's the doctor? :v:

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
It would kind of bother me if he's just got a regular English accent, but seeing as how every other magic being has the old world thou thus thine etc stuff, it'd probably be intentional.

I'd love it if he did have a Welsh accent but mostly because of :wales:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maybe they'll go with the whole backwards-aging thing for him and he has a modern English accent because he was actually born in 2035.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

docbeard posted:

Maybe they'll go with the whole backwards-aging thing for him and he has a modern English accent because he was actually born in 2035.

He could have a Modern English accent because accents are not some ingrained thing set at the time you learn to speak but change as you speak the language. Anyone who was actually immortal and living even vaguely in society would need to adapt their accent as time want on. That's one thing Iron Druid touched on in a good way, even if it did go a step too far with the internet memes.

You can even consciously gain or lose an accent given some time and effort. It's a common thing for actors from other countries to pick up an American accent specifically so it sounds more neutral to Americans.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

EVGA Longoria posted:

He could have a Modern English accent because accents are not some ingrained thing set at the time you learn to speak but change as you speak the language. Anyone who was actually immortal and living even vaguely in society would need to adapt their accent as time want on. That's one thing Iron Druid touched on in a good way, even if it did go a step too far with the internet memes.

You can even consciously gain or lose an accent given some time and effort. It's a common thing for actors from other countries to pick up an American accent specifically so it sounds more neutral to Americans.

Yeah, the problem with that is he's literally been living in a cave! >_<

Time travel's going to be the best explanation but it's gonna be hard to have a time-travelling Merlin character that isn't horribly lame. To be honest I'm also worried about the introduction of major time travel elements to the Dresden universe, it's another thing that could go horribly wrong, just like the alternate universe idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

To be honest I'm also worried about the introduction of major time travel elements to the Dresden universe, it's another thing that could go horribly wrong, just like the alternate universe idea.

Yeah, I mean I have a feeling that anything that gets introduced is going to have been carefully planned, but if there's a potential stumbling block for this series, this is it, right here.

Whatever happens (and something will clearly happen; the only reason to bother to make a magic law forbidding time travel is if you intend to break it sometime during the series) could end up being quite cool too, of course; I just don't want to see things undermined by (for example) FAVORITE CHARACTER X was Harry all along or FAVORITE VILLAIN X is actually evil alternate-universe Harry or whatever.

• Locked thread