Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Pentax: Weatersealing/crop only(no digital FF)

Nikon: Do you own an android? Like to janitor/research everything for compatibility or the cheapest gear?

Canon: Video/photojournalis

Mirrorless:

Fuji: Are you a vain hipster? If speed doesn't matter fuji is cool

Micro 4/3: Are you a nerd who shoots action or birds or esoteric glass something no one cares about? I have the system for you. Also it's light for you hikers/travelers who only shoot in daylight. Videographers can hang.

Canon M: no

Nikon V: no

Pentax Q: no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"
I've read hundreds of reviews, done all the comparisons. I went and looked at the Canon and Nikon line tonight and felt a little underwhelmed with the T5i and D5300. I was tethered to the display case so that didn't help. Maybe I just have too high of expectations for the price point I am shopping in. Of course this is how I felt about the build quality/general feel, without being able to take something home and play with it I can't comment too much on anything else. I would love to check out a Pentax K-50 but there's none in my area that I know of. I am currently looking online and the price point and weather proofing is a big plus for me. I am trying to decide if I should just take the plunge on the Pentax but am hesitant because of not handling one, no audio in, mono microphone. Those are things I could overcome though. If I do decide to go that route I guess my next question is should I just buy the body and a couple lenses separate? Or get one of the kit lenses? I'm looking at kits with the 18-55mm/55-200mm or the more expensive kit with the 18-135mm. Costco of all places has a Pentax K-50 2 lens kit with some other stuff for $649. But by the time you add in shipping, tax and not being a member, I'm looking at around $750. The 18-135mm kits are $850-900. Which is still cheaper than the T5i or D5300 with similar setups. I like the way the K-50 looks/setup and what I've read about the K-50. It takes some beautiful pictures. I'm just not sure if it'll meet my video desires. I know much of what I'm asking comes down to personal preferences but I differ to you guys to steer me in the right direction. I apologize to keep dragging this out like this and I truly appreciate all the input I've received.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Rent a camera and a kit lens for a couple days and see how you like it, what bugs you about it, etc.

None of us can answer your questions since you don't know what you want or what you're doing.

Also be prepared to be disappointed because cheap cameras generally have build/interface issues that get in the way of usability.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
If you're serious about this then I'd look more closely at your budget and see if you can't afford something like a used 60D. The build quality between entry level stuff and "pro-sumer" models is pretty steep.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, bumping up a notch from the lowest cameras could get you a bit more of a good feel. I suspect that Pentax will feel a little better since it has front and rear dials. For audio you could use an external recorder if you get that into it. It's a bit of a pain, but less so than it once was thanks to automated syncing tools.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

powderific posted:

Yeah, bumping up a notch from the lowest cameras could get you a bit more of a good feel. I suspect that Pentax will feel a little better since it has front and rear dials. For audio you could use an external recorder if you get that into it. It's a bit of a pain, but less so than it once was thanks to automated syncing tools.

This is basically what I do with video on my NEX 5N. If you're thinking about the Pentax, it doesn't have manual audio level adjustment so I'd say even if it had a mic input it'd be useless.

Even a cheapo voice recorder will have external mic input these days. What I do is stick the recorder in my pocket, put my mic on the camera with a coldshoe adapter, and shoot. Later I'll sync the audio with final cut or premiere. It works pretty well.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

feigning interest posted:

Pentax: Weatersealing/crop only(no digital FF)

Nikon: Do you own an android? Like to janitor/research everything for compatibility or the cheapest gear?

Canon: Video/photojournalis

Mirrorless:

Fuji: Are you a vain hipster? If speed doesn't matter fuji is cool

Micro 4/3: Are you a nerd who shoots action or birds or esoteric glass something no one cares about? I have the system for you. Also it's light for you hikers/travelers who only shoot in daylight. Videographers can hang.

Canon M: no

Nikon V: no

Pentax Q: no

holy poo poo you're an idiot

just thought i'd save everyone else the trouble of saying it

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

holy poo poo you're an idiot

just thought i'd save everyone else the trouble of saying it

How dare you reserve them their right

fascist

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

but im right so w/e

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

feigning interest posted:

but im right so w/e

Only about the last three systems, which are idiot piss garbage.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I work as a clown at the circus so I should know

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

8th-snype posted:

Only about the last three systems, which are idiot piss garbage.

Hey man, Canon M mount is up to THREE lenses now. :colbert:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

grack posted:

Three more than it needs.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

It's odd that Canon focused on the wide end for mirrorless and Nikon focused on the tight end. Both are rear end ends. Or bell ends.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If you are looking at T5i and D5300 new (about $750-800 for the body), consider an older used camera.
You can buy a D7000 or a Canon 60D (one generations behind the latest) for about $600 in like-new condition. Then pick up the appropriate lens to suit (Nikon 18-140 F3.5-5.6G ED DX AF-S VR BBQ for $364 or the Canon 18-135 F3.5-5.6 EF-S (I'm actually not sure about this one, I'm not a Canon owner) for $265) and you're set for $865-964.

Try a bunch of things out, check out photo stores, etc. Both the D7000 and 60D are in the prosumer category, and both should be better than the T5i and D5300.

I'm not really a fan of superzooms, so I'd say pick up something else, for example something in the 17-55 range, a 50-200, and a 35mm prime

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

404notfound posted:

But yeah, there's more to cameras than the pure numbers, plus sensor performance can be difficult to quantify as a single number.
The sensor is possibly the one thing where numbers give you a decent idea. I can guarantee you'll notice the added color accuracy and dynamic range on the nikon. What you don't know is whether it'll feel ok in your hand.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That goon doesn't want to bother with post processing, so the higher dynamic range isn't going to mean that much.

At this point the feel in hand and user experience is much more important for a beginner, I think.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

8th-snype posted:

Three more than it needs.

I really like my Eos-M. Obviously not as a primary camera, but for bike rides and vacations where you wouldn't want to bring a full size DSLR and several lenses.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eos-M could actually become a thing too, unlike Nikon 1 where the sensor size pretty much means you'll always be better off with M43.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

1st AD posted:

That goon doesn't want to bother with post processing, so the higher dynamic range isn't going to mean that much.

At this point the feel in hand and user experience is much more important for a beginner, I think.

yeah, if you don't want to mess with processing I'd vote for shooting a fuji in jpg mode all the time.

For video well I don't get why he wouldn't want to mess with post-processing but is looking for the ability to manually control things like audio inputs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

grack posted:

Given canon's history of releasing new lenses, I think this counts as a full-on, full-power, full-speed launch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You could always buy an adaptor and use their +20 yr old line of EF lenses :downs:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You could always buy an adaptor and use their +20 yr old line of EF lenses :downs:

Hey, it works for Sony, though generally you're using an adapter to use someone else's 30 year old lenses.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

bisticles posted:

I really like my Eos-M. Obviously not as a primary camera, but for bike rides and vacations where you wouldn't want to bring a full size DSLR and several lenses.

I just took mine to Disneyworld with us. Pancake for most stuff, 55-250 stm for animal kingdom, 90EX for fill. It got the job done and did not take up much space or make me hate lugging it around in the hot sun.

Super happy birthday girl alert

grack
Jan 10, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Eos-M could actually become a thing too, unlike Nikon 1 where the sensor size pretty much means you'll always be better off with M43.

If Nikon or Canon want either of their mirrorless systems to succeed they have to start treating the cameras like actual cameras and not rich toys for people who shoot in Auto all the time.

Also, Nikon needs to drastically reduce the MSRP because $1200 for a body with a lovely kit lens is laughable

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

grack posted:

If Nikon or Canon want either of their mirrorless systems to succeed they have to start treating the cameras like actual cameras and not rich toys for people who shoot in Auto all the time.

Also, Nikon needs to drastically reduce the MSRP because $1200 for a body with a lovely kit lens is laughable

You'd be surprised - I saw a LOT of moms with J1's @ Disney. I think the salesmen hook them with the "AF that can actually keep up with your toddler, without gigantic lenses your husband wants to show off his penis" line.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

timrenzi574 posted:

You'd be surprised - I saw a LOT of moms with J1's @ Disney. I think the salesmen hook them with the "AF that can actually keep up with your toddler, without gigantic lenses your husband wants to show off his penis" line.

I honestly believe it's as simple as interchangeable lens so it seems like an SLR and not like a p&s + known brand from SLRs + easily fits in purse. Also, the J1's got dirt cheap to the point where they weren't a bad deal. (are they still even for sale?)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

timrenzi574 posted:

Were they actually sold at a price that would generate Nikon any money? I see S1's old all over for $200 and given normal retail markups I have to believe that Nikon is taking a pretty big loss on each body sold. If it's being sold to Moms to take pictures of their kids they're probably not selling a heck of a lot of lenses or branded accessories, either.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I think Nikon's wondering that too.

quote:

Nikon has lowered its estimates for sales volume, sales amount, and operating income downward for the entire fiscal year, which ends on March 31st, 2014. Reasons for this include slow economic recovery worldwide, even worse compact camera sales than predicted, and slowed growth in mirrorless cameras.

The actions that Nikon is taking to improve the situation include:
'Reconsider product planning of Nikon 1. Nikon 1 represents the majority of sales volume reduction of 550,000 interchangeable-lens type digital cameras'
'Revise development plan for new compact [cameras]. Although our market share had been expanding in recent years, sales volume will diminish more than the estimated market shrink. Will maintain profitability as is.'
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/08/nikon-cuts-2013-sales-forecast-citing-poor-mirrorless-camera-sales

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

grack posted:

Were they actually sold at a price that would generate Nikon any money? I see S1's old all over for $200 and given normal retail markups I have to believe that Nikon is taking a pretty big loss on each body sold. If it's being sold to Moms to take pictures of their kids they're probably not selling a heck of a lot of lenses or branded accessories, either.

Yeah, I would imagine they probably bought them at cut rate prices - but, I guess in some ways if you get the bodies in peoples hands, there's a better chance of continuing the system than if not. Was just surprised to see so many of them

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Dren posted:

I honestly believe it's as simple as interchangeable lens so it seems like an SLR and not like a p&s + known brand from SLRs + easily fits in purse. Also, the J1's got dirt cheap to the point where they weren't a bad deal. (are they still even for sale?)

I think you can still get one with the 10-30 for 300-350 or so. I think the idea of a camera that small , that has AF that can actually keep up with a little kid is a very attractive package for a mom with little ones.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

timrenzi574 posted:

I think you can still get one with the 10-30 for 300-350 or so. I think the idea of a camera that small , that has AF that can actually keep up with a little kid is a very attractive package for a mom with little ones.

You're right about the AF being good but I've not met a non-camera geek who really understood AF and what it meant for the pictures they took. I don't think that's why moms are buying the cameras but heck I could be wrong. For 300-350 their better than a p&s in most every way and not much more expensive so I think that's the real reason. Besides, the J1 has (or had) lovely auto settings that set the shutter to 1/60 and would leave action shots blurry when the camera was totally capable of pushing the ISO and getting a good shot.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Dren posted:

You're right about the AF being good but I've not met a non-camera geek who really understood AF and what it meant for the pictures they took. I don't think that's why moms are buying the cameras but heck I could be wrong. For 300-350 their better than a p&s in most every way and not much more expensive so I think that's the real reason. Besides, the J1 has (or had) lovely auto settings that set the shutter to 1/60 and would leave action shots blurry when the camera was totally capable of pushing the ISO and getting a good shot.

Maybe - I was just putting together a scenario of a best buy sales guy dumping them on moms who came in complaining they couldn't take pics of their 2 year old running around like a miniature drunkard with their iphone anymore because he knows nobody else is buying them. I saw a lot of dads humping around giant bags of lenses too, which made me glad I brought my M. My precious family memories will have to live without covering every possible focal length.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

timrenzi574 posted:

Just noting for people who might be interested in one, they're about $250 on Amazon right now, actually.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You should still get a m43 of similar vintage instead.

Also I tried an x100s yesterday and realized how badly my DSLR spoiled my tolerance for lazy AF. There's no way I could use one as a daily camera 8(.

How much better is the XT1?

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
Just to reply to a couple of the posts. When I first started looking I didn't fully understand what I was getting into. I still don't fully but I understand that in order to do the things I want I'm looking at more than a camera. It's not that I don't want to do post processing but more I want to take good pictures. As for video, its obviously an exception and post processing would be a requirement. If I end up taking this seriously I will be investing in the proper equipment/software. I'm pretty excited to go down this road.

After lots of research and indecision I picked up the Olympus OM-D E10. I think it's a good starting point for someone like me. I really like the ergonomics and seems to be pretty feature rich. It doesn't have everything I was looking for but it comes close. I highly doubt this will end up being my only camera and am still eyeballing the K-50 or possibly 70D sooner rather than later. Right now, this camera is beautiful, feels great although the grip is a little shallow. Not to mention it takes great pictures. I'm really liking the EVF.

Couple of questions tho, I got it home late last night and noticed in the EVF there seems to be a single pixel that looks green somewhat. Its mostly apparent when I half press the shutter during autofocus. I don't know yet if this is a bad pixel in the EVF itself or on the sensor. I'm already wondering if I should exchange it or be concerned? Its not a huge deal but enough I noticed it right away without looking for it. Is there anything else that could cause this?

Second question, suggestions on some lenses? It came with the 14-42 R ii as a kit. What else should I be looking at that's affordable and a must have? I'd like to have a little more range, macro, maybe something for some decent bokeh shots. I read that effect is hard to get on a M43?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks again. Also, feel free to tell me if I made a bad decision and why.

Moonbloodsflow fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 20, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Moonbloodsflow posted:

After lots of research and indecision I picked up the Olympus OM-D E10.
Could do a whole lot worse. Next step is 20/1.7 and shoot shoot shoot.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The green pixel thing sounds like you have a stuck pixel in the EVF, if it really bothers you either Olympus or the store can replace the camera to fix it.

edit: This is the 20mm 1.7 he's talking about. I think most people consider it the best lens on the system. Remember that you can buy any Micro 4/3 lens, you're not restricted to just Olympus's.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 20, 2014

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

Could do a whole lot worse. Next step is 20/1.7 and shoot shoot shoot.

Got a particular lense suggestion? I'm still sorting out what will work on this camera and what won't. I see a 17mm 1.8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

20/1.7 is the panasonic 20mm f/1.7