Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Straker
Nov 10, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

BAC is easily quantifiable so it's used. Works well enough, too, since 0.08 will hit most people. Need to remember that objectivity makes it easier to enforce which is a great thing.
Yeah, I tried to gently allude to it without sounding too gbs kill all cops, but not going by BAC at all would give cops way too much leeway to totally ruin anybody's life for no reason. You could arrest people, hang out with them for a few hours, who cares if they're sober when they get back to the station because you can extrapolate that back to like .16 BAC if you pulled them over 4 hours ago, thanks MADD!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I typically get home on a bicycle. The cops camp outside of bars and try to hit everyone trying to walk home with public intoxication, but there's no way those tubby bastards are going to be able to pursue a BMX.
I really wanted to try to get a DUI on a bike my first year in Chicago; I'd just sell my car so as to not need ludicrously expensive insurance for a few years if I got nailed, but I'd probably get killed by a lovely sober driver first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
"Don't drive home, you'll get a DUI."
"Don't walk home, you'll get a Public Intox'."

Well now what?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Captain Trips posted:

Well now what?
Stay in bar.
Keep drinking.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
They kick you out eventually though. Life is hard that way.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I typically get home on a bicycle. The cops camp outside of bars and try to hit everyone trying to walk home with public intoxication, but there's no way those tubby bastards are going to be able to pursue a BMX.

I used to do this until the one time I drank to much Guinness and into a goddamn parked bus.

I just moved closer to town instead

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I spent my tax refund on four new tires, replacing a cracked motor mount, a new pair of boots, and beer. :feelsgood:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

If you drink and drive you're a terrible person.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
This evening I made both chilli (with beans :smuggo:) and bread in an amazing feat of personal co-ordination.

Dipped bread in chilli. Ate both. Proceeded to start getting late-autumn whisky drunk for warmth and funsies.

Praise the Jesus.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Captain Trips posted:

Well now what?

I'm a brit, i lived in the states for 3 years, my ex's brother got a DUI and had to do an AA course as part of the punishment. One of the sessions required him to bring a friend of family member, i went along.

There was a cop there telling all sorts of horror stories of driving drunk, then went round the room asking the companion how x person's DUI had affected them. My response was "it hasn't affected me at all, but what i dont get is why it's illegal to walk home drunk, we do it all the time in the UK cos driving drunk takes 5 mins but is 500x more likely to kill someone, so we walk home and at worst injur ourselves falling over"

the cop replied "well, yeah, but like, what if you were drunk and like, errr, i dunno... err... fell off a bridge", well pretty sure that would be my fault for being THAT drunk and while it may take some state/city resources to fish my bloated corpse from the river it's still less dangerous to others than driving. And hell, even if you walk home drunk in the states you'll still lose your license in some places cos it's just that drat retarded. It's nothing more than a cash grab.

Still, don't drive drunk, it's retarded, as is EVERYONE who goes "i'm just as good a drive when i've had a couple than when i'm sober", no, just no, you really arent.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain Trips posted:

Well now what?

Get trashed in somebody's apartment. Maybe I'm crazy but in the rare instance I want to get totally tanked I make sure it's at a place where I just curl up and fall asleep like, wherever, you know? Granted, I'm also a "have two or three people over, dispose of a bottle, don't get too wild" type so what do I know.

Even so, go somewhere you can plan on staying and then, you know, stay.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
So how does drinking in a pub fit into that plan?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

You know what would be really convenient? If you could like, ring someone and they would come get you and bring you home. I bet they could even make money off it too if that was their job.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Whoa whoa whoa whoa. You're not allowed to be drunk when you're walking home? That seems crazy to me. What about when you are going from one bar to another? Do you guys just not have pub crawls?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Taxis cost money and if I'm sober enough to stand up, it's not very cold and there aren't enough people to split the cost then there is no way I am going to get one.

Also, to be honest, when I'm at home one of my favourite things about the pub is walking home drunk through the fields and looking at the stars. It's pretty cool.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

redweird posted:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. You're not allowed to be drunk when you're walking home? That seems crazy to me. What about when you are going from one bar to another? Do you guys just not have pub crawls?

The laws vary by area but yeah a lot of jurisdictions will slap you with a PI if you walk home. In some places a PI is actually worse than a DUI. In other places the law exists but you only get a PI if you're being belligerent. Pub crawls also don't exist in certain areas. In Pennsylvania, for example, it's illegal to have an open container outside. I forget the exact details but drinking at a backyard barbecue is fine but if you buy a beer in a bar you are not allowed to take it outside by state law. Which, of course, means no "buy drink in place A, wander off, buy new drink in place B when drink is finished." Pub crawling doesn't exist because it takes more planning and beverage timing than drunk people are generally capable of.

It's a silly set of laws.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
A pub crawl is more "Buy and drink pint in pub A, walk to pub B, buy and drink pint in pub B, repeat for pubs C-Z as the crawl part becomes more and more literal", which sounds like it would still be illegal.

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The laws vary by area but yeah a lot of jurisdictions will slap you with a PI if you walk home. In some places a PI is actually worse than a DUI. In other places the law exists but you only get a PI if you're being belligerent. Pub crawls also don't exist in certain areas. In Pennsylvania, for example, it's illegal to have an open container outside. I forget the exact details but drinking at a backyard barbecue is fine but if you buy a beer in a bar you are not allowed to take it outside by state law. Which, of course, means no "buy drink in place A, wander off, buy new drink in place B when drink is finished." Pub crawling doesn't exist because it takes more planning and beverage timing than drunk people are generally capable of.

It's a silly set of laws.

Where I live you'll only get PI for being belligerent, but we have the open container law. Specifically, you're allowed to have open containers on private property (subject to the discretion of the owner of that property) but once you're on government land you can get a 452 for it. We do do pub crawls, we just finish our drinks before we move on and usually only end up going to 3-4 pubs. And the word "pub" is applied liberally.

I've sat on someone's front lawn with a beer in my hand while cops broke up the party at that house, but I've also seen people step on to the sidewalk and get fined or have to pour out most of a case of beer because the box was open and they were walking somewhere. Also we can get a DUI if there's any alcohol (even sealed containers) in the cab of the car, it's gotta be in the trunk.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
We have open container laws (in Australia). You can't have beers in public, but that rule is kind of loosely enforced. I've partied in parks drinking beers and the cops don't care as long as you are not a total fuckhead. I think if you are having a barbeque they are way less likely to come down on you.

You also can't drink beers in cars, but you can obviously have unopened cans of stuff in your car or on the street and you won't get busted.

There is some weird liquor licensing stuff though. Some bars you can't take a beer with you to sit outside, you have to buy it inside and then a waitperson takes it across the two meter threshold to the outside drinking area.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

you may die posted:

I've sat on someone's front lawn with a beer in my hand while cops broke up the party at that house, but I've also seen people step on to the sidewalk and get fined or have to pour out most of a case of beer because the box was open and they were walking somewhere. Also we can get a DUI if there's any alcohol (even sealed containers) in the cab of the car, it's gotta be in the trunk.
What the gently caress? That's the most asinine law I've ever heard of.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Always take a cab because you're 8 times as likely per mile traveled to be injured or killed while walking drunk than driving drunk.

Straker posted:

My first thought was that if it's any good, it'll immediately be coopted for benzo/alcohol overdoses like naloxone and opioids and will have a ton of research and experience supporting it in no time at all, unless I've misread what this thing does.

Really the other way around, someone perfectly sober (thanks to this drug) will have a high BAC and get pulled over for some random bullshit and have their life ruined thanks to MADD. You can already "drive with a BAC well over the legal limit and hurt or kill someone" by just, you know, drinking then driving :eng101:

edit: unless that's what you were saying - get into a perfectly legitimate accident and get hosed because people think you were drunk
There are a number of animal studies going on into treatment for alcohol poisoning and human studies for treatment of alcoholism. If they pan out, it could turn out to be quite an amazing medication. I can only speak from my experience using it "recreationally." Also worth noting that since it acts on GABA receptors, don't touch the stuff (or drink heavily) if you're on any medications that do the same.

Shannonmcn posted:

If you drink and drive you're a terrible person.
If you just have a few drinks and drive assuming your'e under the legal limit because you feel fine, there's a good chance you're wrong.

M.Ciaster posted:

What the gently caress? That's the most asinine law I've ever heard of.
Most alcohol-related laws make no sense whatsoever. In CT, they lowered BAC for driving to .08 but didn't look for other instances of that limit. The limit to carry a gun with a carry permit is still .10, so you can legally be too drunk to drive but not too drunk to carry a gun. We also recently legalized sale of alcohol on Sunday, but only from 10 to 5.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Straker posted:

Yeah, I tried to gently allude to it without sounding too gbs kill all cops, but not going by BAC at all would give cops way too much leeway to totally ruin anybody's life for no reason. You could arrest people, hang out with them for a few hours, who cares if they're sober when they get back to the station because you can extrapolate that back to like .16 BAC if you pulled them over 4 hours ago, thanks MADD!

Here in Texas they dont even give you a breathalyzer till you are arrested. By then it doesnt even matter if you blow a .00 they will not let you go. In Austin there is a guy being prosecuted even after blowing a .00 and taking a drug test proving he wasnt on anything at all.

If you drink at all dont drive, you can not "feel" your BAC. If you drink a lot buy a breathalyzer because even after sleeping 8 hours you can still have a BAC and being under .08 doesnt mean you wont get arrested.

edit:

GWBBQ posted:

Most alcohol-related laws make no sense whatsoever. In CT, they lowered BAC for driving to .08 but didn't look for other instances of that limit. The limit to carry a gun with a carry permit is still .10, so you can legally be too drunk to drive but not too drunk to carry a gun. We also recently legalized sale of alcohol on Sunday, but only from 10 to 5.

Texas doesnt have a legal limit for carrying, it is up to the officer's discretion.

JEEVES420 has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Apr 19, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

XMNN posted:

Taxis cost money and if I'm sober enough to stand up, it's not very cold and there aren't enough people to split the cost then there is no way I am going to get one.

Also, to be honest, when I'm at home one of my favourite things about the pub is walking home drunk through the fields and looking at the stars. It's pretty cool.

It's all a ploy by Big Taxi to steal your hard-earned beer money.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
Basically, be a hermit goon to avoid being arrested for bullshit alcohol laws. I go to a bar 2-3 times per year. That's it. I drink in restaurants more often, but cops aren't hiding in the bushes there waiting to make an arrest like outside the bars. A couple months ago, I went out because a friend begged me to. We had to walk 30 minutes from one bar to another, and I was terrified the whole time that I'd get a PI, even though I was acting like An Adult. All the others in my group were walking arm-in-arm, making it look like they couldn't stand on their own. Then on the way home, the cab had to pull over on a main road so that my friend could puke out the side. That's when the driver informed us that cops love to pull over cabs and give PIs. gently caress that, I'll just stay in for the majority of weekends. Any alcohol-related arrest would legitimately gently caress me. I will be a full-fledged RN in a couple months. It's just not worth it. My town, too, just started selling alcohol in stores on Sundays a few months back. We were only about 30 years behind on that one. Christ.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

whatshesaid posted:

That's when the driver informed us that cops love to pull over cabs and give PIs.

What the gently caress.

I thought our wonderful politicians were bad for not updating Easter pub opening hours, but this poo poo is completely Fyffes.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

If I'm going out to eat with friends and I have to drive, I'll have one beer when we first arrive before ordering food, and then that's it. If it's quick food and we're not going to hang around for at least an hour, I don't drink anything. It's just not worth it. I'd lose my job instantly, loving myself out of a fantastic career.

Just not worth it at all. I didn't know about the PI stuff, that's just terrifying. I was already blown away by the physical control bullshit where you still essentially get a DUI if you try and sleep it off in your car.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's all a ploy by Big Taxi to steal your hard-earned beer money.

Aha, I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of taxis but when it's a choice between walking for half an hour or spending £5, I know what I'm going to do. As a bonus, you can walk past the chippy and spend the money you just saved on delicious kebab. Just try to eat it all before you pass out because for some reason it's nowhere near as appetising in the morning.

Full disclosure, when I was 18 I managed to rip my hands open pretty spectacularly after I decided that running home was going to be much faster than walking. I learnt my lesson and haven't done that since, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'll just say that our local alcohol laws - all "no open containers in public places, anything above 4.7% in government-owned liquor stores only, no alcohol in stores after 8 (weekdays) / 4 (saturday), sitting drunk (0.02 BAC) in a driver's seat is an offense" of it - suddenly seem fairly benign. :norway:

(And the open container law is explicitly not enforced in parks in Oslo; the cops have said they have better things to do.)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

dregan posted:

What the gently caress.

I thought our wonderful politicians were bad for not updating Easter pub opening hours, but this poo poo is completely Fyffes.
There were a couple of instances in the past few years of police in Texas used PI laws as an excuse to raid gay bars. They literally arrested people drinking in bars for being drunk in public.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Columbus Ohio is weird with booze laws. Open Container is strictly enforced at Ohio State football, but not Columbus Crew soccer games. Both venues are on public property, too. Crew Stadium is owned by the team, but built on the State Fairgrounds.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Now all I can think about is kebab shops. It's pretty disappointing the limited range of food you can buy when you're wandering around drunk at 2am round here, it's mostly just kebabs, burgers and really bad pizza. I just want one late night burrito shop or something. I'd bet you could make a killing.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

XMNN posted:

Now all I can think about is kebab shops. It's pretty disappointing the limited range of food you can buy when you're wandering around drunk at 2am round here, it's mostly just kebabs, burgers and really bad pizza. I just want one late night burrito shop or something. I'd bet you could make a killing.

No Jimmy John's? Subs after closing time owns.

There's place here that will deliver cookies and brownies until 4am, too.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
The PA law for public drinking is so easily circumvented it's silly. Put a coozy on your drink, put your drink into something other than a beer can or whatever. If a cop asks you are allowed to not reply or say "my drink officer." Be an adult.

While Public Intox laws are harsh, police are still not mind readers. Don't be belligerent or fall down drunk. Be an adult.

DUI laws suck. Be an adult, call a cab if you've had too much.

Holy crap, life in America, Be an adult. Oh my god it's so difficult, like I don't know if I can stand it. People want me to be responsible and junk. It's so terrible.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

GWBBQ posted:

There were a couple of instances in the past few years of police in Texas used PI laws as an excuse to raid gay bars. They literally arrested people drinking in bars for being drunk in public.

Officers discretion for PIs. There is no legal limit for PIs so if you had one beer and a cop wanted to he could take you in for a PI; although they usually wont unless you are acting a fool. In Texas a PI is usually just a night in the drunk tank and a class C misdemeanor. Also here you wont get a PI in a taxi or as a passenger unless you get out of the vehicle. Which becomes a huge catch 22 when the officer asks you to get out.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

VendaGoat posted:

Holy crap, life in America, Be an adult. Oh my god it's so difficult, like I don't know if I can stand it. People want me to be responsible and junk. It's so terrible.

So you're saying that being an adult consists of knowing how to get away with breaking the law. Got it.
(Honestly, that's a law that needs changing, not something to be proud of having found a way to get around.)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Computer viking posted:

So you're saying that being an adult consists of knowing how to get away with breaking the law. Got it.
(Honestly, that's a law that needs changing, not something to be proud of having found a way to get around.)

*Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart*

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

GWBBQ posted:

God I'm so happy to live in Europe. The legal BAC limit might be .02, but I can just pop over to a supermarket and grab a case of whatever no matter the day or the hour, as long as I'm not stumbling-around-pukingly drunk, and there's no restrictions on drinking in public at all (but since cops are assholes they'll write you up for that anyway).

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

Even better, they did it on the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall protests supporting gay rights, and it was riot cops kicking in the door to the bar and beating the poo poo out of people, not just regular cops walking in and handing out citations. They even asked some of the women in the bar if they were straight, so they could leave rather than be assaulted and arrested.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

VendaGoat posted:

Be an adult.

Be an adult.

Be an adult

Be an adult.

Basically, this.

If you know you can't go out without drinking too much so as to not draw attention to yourself, don't go out. It took me a few years to get to where I can go out and get good and hammered but still be able to compose myself. It's fun to be stupid drunk, but no one wants to be that girl. I used to be that girl. One St. Patrick's Day, I fell down the stairs at a bar and was sitting outside because I'd been kicked out, and a cop drove by and asked me if I was alright. Yeah...I was lucky in my early 20s.

If you're a guy and you've had more than 2 beers, you can't drive. Period. Yeah, that's my arbitrary limit. I don't drive after one beer, because I have the foresight to figure poo poo out before I start drinking. That's what adults do.

Glad y'all reminded me, stores might be closed tomorrow so I need to make a liquor store run. :iamafag:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

whatshesaid posted:

Glad y'all reminded me, stores might be closed tomorrow so I need to make a liquor store run. :iamafag:

A good Bachelor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

DUI laws suck. Be an adult, call a cab if you've had too much.
It would be great if public transport ran until after closing time rather than until 11PM so it was easy to just catch the train and/or bus instead of spending $50 taking a cab 20 or 30 miles, so it's all about taking turns as DD around here.

• Locked thread