Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Oh, and at least where I saw Spiderman, the IMAX screening didn't have the mid credits bit (which is a scene from X-Men and unrelated to Spiderman) while the non IMAX did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Little_wh0re posted:

big spoiler discussion herein

See I didn't like the film as much as I wanted to, the relationship drama just stayed too long and the Gwen death was more pointless than interesting, Peter already has two deaths on his conscience to emo/with-great-power-comes-great-responsiblity about. It just felt narratively redundant.

Also, I remember thinking it during the last film but Aunt May knows, she knows theres no way that last conversation Peter has with her isn't an obvious hint.

I do admire the Chutzpah in having one of the major scenes in the trailers be literally the last shot of the film though.

If you didn't like it as much as you wanted to, I think that's totally fine. This is not a film for everyone, its calling back to fans in ways which might make your average viewer, and your die hard fans alike be turned off. What I think it does do well, is call out to the more casual fans. The ones who like spider-man enough to care about the films and cartoons and loved them as a kid, but not the ones who are going to be sitting there scoffing at each minute change from the comics.

That's also why I think the Gwen death works. Its dramatic and shocking, and to the people who are less read up on spider-man, its totally out of left field and brutal. To the hardcore fans, its a callback to one of the best parts of spider-man history. People called it the end of the silver age of comics, and for that alone it deserves its place in the film (in my opinion). Its the realisation that Spider-man can fail hard in these films, that the consequences are not over and done with after Peter learned his original lessons from Uncle Ben and Captain Stacy's deaths. He hasn't suddenly learned everything he needs to make sure that it never happens again, mistakes can and will be made. It adds a level of danger and uncertainty in the series that isn't really present in many other comic book films, kind of like in shows like game of thrones. You might think after Ned stark bit the dust, that GRRM might be done making GBS threads on the Starks, but you would be wrong. No one is safe, and that's an interesting prospect in the generally safe world of comic book films.

When I was watching scenes with Aunt May and Peter interacting at home, I did sometimes think to myself, How could she NOT know that he's spider-man? There is so much weird stuff going on in Peter's life and she really doesn't seem to be paying any attention to any of it. I wondered if there was going to be an ultimate spider-man style Aunt May who was aware and tried to accept the strange events but that didn't pan out at the end. What I DID expect was her to introduce Mary Jane (had I followed this films production a bit more closely, I would have known that it WAS going to happen but was cut), preferably with the classic "lets face it Tiger... you just hit the jackpot" line. It looks like she will be in the third film now and if they don't use that line, I will want to hunt down the responsible party and make them pay. Anyhow, I don't think she does know in the end, if she did they would have telegraphed it a bit more.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So is this coming out this week?

I thought it was coming out the week after?
http://www.theamazingspiderman.com/releasedates/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Charlz Guybon posted:

So is this coming out this week?

I thought it was coming out the week after?
http://www.theamazingspiderman.com/releasedates/
International release I guess.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

International release I guess.

Ah, I missed the colomn on the right with Europe. Why do they release so much earlier than Asia and the Americas? Doesn't that just encourage piracy?

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Spoilery talk...

Didn't Aunt May always know? I'm pretty sure on her death bed she told Peter she always know... Not sure about the Ultimate arc though.

What did the guy in the hat say his last name was? I didn't hear it properly, but he is the one who is putting together the S6.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Major spoiler talk:

Can someone give me details on how Gwen goes out? Do they bridge her? Do we get the neck snap?

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Major spoiler talk:

Can someone give me details on how Gwen goes out? Do they bridge her? Do we get the neck snap?

Going into detail here so if you don't want it all given away, don't read.

I thought it was done really well. She is falling and it goes in slow-mo, Spidey thwips his web and you think it's going to hit pieces around her as she falls, but he catches her at last minute. You hear the whole theater take a sigh of relief... Then you see her back bend and her head hit the floor with a really disturbing thump. The audience gasps and shrieked. It was done REALLY well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ExplodingSquid posted:

Going into detail here so if you don't want it all given away, don't read.

I thought it was done really well. She is falling and it goes in slow-mo, Spidey thwips his web and you think it's going to hit pieces around her as she falls, but he catches her at last minute. You hear the whole theater take a sigh of relief... Then you see her back bend and her head hit the floor with a really disturbing thump. The audience gasps and shrieked. It was done REALLY well.

Goblin? Or Electro?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Welp! The time has cone to leave the thread.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

TheJoker138 posted:

Goblin? Or Electro?

Its The Goblin. The whole scene is really intense and I have nothing but praise for how its handled.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

What I liked about that scene is that it's not a straightforward case of Osborn murdering her - it's a bit more circumstantial. Sure Osborn shoulders the blame, but you get the impression that it's an avoidable death, which ups the tragedy. Also I dug the web-hand' reaching out for her - it's super-cheesy but it works.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What I liked about that scene is that it's not a straightforward case of Osborn murdering her - it's a bit more circumstantial. Sure Osborn shoulders the blame, but you get the impression that it's an avoidable death, which ups the tragedy. Also I dug the web-hand' reaching out for her - it's super-cheesy but it works.

Yes! at this point in the film, I was laughing at how cheesy it had got! The hand had me rolling my eyes, only to be snapped back into how serious the situation was. It's a very good tone shift and it does a very good job at playing the audience. My house mate went to a different showing than me but said that there were people actually in tears because of that scene and the immediate aftermath.

EDIT: Also, your avatar certainly suits this discussion!

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Went and saw this last night and I've gotta say It was pretty predictable and didn't bring anything 'new' to the Spiderman movies that we already hadn't experienced. I enjoyed the opening sequence with the Parkers' doomed flight. Gwen Stacy lit up the screen whenever she popped up. However, once she started talking about England and Peter agreeing to come with her, you knew she was on borrowed time.

Gwen's death was telegraphed, but that final brutal slam was uncomfortable to watch.

Oh and that shithead kid running into battle against Rhino? He was the worst thing. (I AM A SYMBOL OF HOPE!!!!!) I was honestly wanting him to get blasted off just for his idiocy. (Also, speaking of of idiocy, NYC Residents CONSTANTLY gawking at a battle which inevitable turns sour and puts them in danger. UGH.)

Max's turn to evil was too easy. Finally, what good reason did Peter have for denying Harry his blood in the first place? Harry did have a pretty good argumentt. "It may hurt you!" "Well I'm already dying" "Oh well....Ughhhhhhhhh"

I wanted to like this, I think they had fantastic actors and a lot of potential, but it was so paint-by-numbers *SHOCKING DEATH!!!!*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ExplodingSquid posted:

Spoilery talk...

Didn't Aunt May always know? I'm pretty sure on her death bed she told Peter she always know... Not sure about the Ultimate arc though.

What did the guy in the hat say his last name was? I didn't hear it properly, but he is the one who is putting together the S6.

I think that's supposed to be Norman Osborn, right?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Anyone else find it funny that the last shot of the movie is in all the marketing! it's in the trailer and it's the main image I'm seeing posted everywhere at the moment.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Before I do leave this thread for spoilers.. please tell me... does the costume deliver?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Before I do leave this thread for spoilers.. please tell me... does the costume deliver?

It's the platonic ideal of what a Spider-Man suit should be.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think that's supposed to be Norman Osborn, right?

I thought the auto-voice says his name when he goes into the facility but I didn't catch it, I'll try and see if I can hear it another time

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I didn't like this movie. It was cornball and lacked focus. The character development felt ham-fisted. I felt like I was watching an episode from one of the lesser Spider-Man cartoons. It's especially bad when it comes to the villains. Harry Osborn is cringeworthy. There's a pivotal scene involving Gwen Stacy which Spider-fans have probably been expecting to happen eventually, and when it happened I just didn't give a gently caress. They tried to recreate one of the most emotional and pivotal moments in superhero comics and they flunked it.

I will at least give praise to Jamie Foxx's performance. I think he did the best one could do when given such terrible lines. He sells his role hard and there were fleeting moments I actually felt something for Electro.

The action scenes are awesome. The film is certainly a visual treat.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 17, 2014

FordGT40
Jul 4, 2012

ExplodingSquid posted:

Spoilery talk...

His name was Dr. or Mr. Fears/Frears. I'm assuming he's a character from the comics? I've just got back from seeing this and it was brilliant. Loved the web slinging and the ending...although I've seen it in every preview. You could see Doc Ock's arms in a few shots too, I can't wait to see how they handle him in the next film.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just saw it and it's a fantastic spectacle. I had a goofy grin on my face for most of the movie. The fight scenes are spectacular and cheesy in all the right ways and the movie's got the cutest most lovable couple in any super hero movie. The original trilogy has nothing on their chemistry - nothing at all

But the first movie was better. That movie had something - I'm not completely sure what - that made it more interesting and one of my favorite super hero movies. Perhaps... the emotions were more raw, more real and relatable. This one is more by the numbers - especially the drama which you could find in thousands of other movies. The love drama and the stuff about Peter's dad just wasn't interesting at all. Oh thank goodness dad was a goddamn saint what a relief.

Electro and Goblin were fine but I'm kind of tired of villains who completely change their personality after they become powerful. I felt something for Electro at first but all of a sudden he becomes a more villainous Dr Manhattan.

One other thing. The first movie worked even if you didn't know a single thing about the comics, but in this one they shoehorn in Goblin's power armor and glider in the worst way. They literally throw a line about experimental power armor that JUST SO HAPPENS to be just the thing Harry needs to survive. Also Rhino power armor out of nowhere. Even my mom could watch and appreciate she first movie (which is a good thing) but this one is going to loose her and fast.

The shift in tone is also pretty crazy. It starts off like a good version of the Raimi films (MUCH lighter in tone than the first) - seriously NO-ONE is hurt when Electro levels the square but then gets pretty dark with some disturbing imagery including torture. That scene was really well done, though. Had to hold back a couple of tears..

tldr:
Visually really impressive and the main characters are so charming you want to ruffle their hair, but the drama is by the numbers and uninteresting which in my opinion makes it less memorable than the first one. Astounding fight scenes you have to watch at least once, though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

There's a pivotal scene..

I really think it's best that stuff like this is spoilered. Just because it's predictable to comic fans doesn't mean it's obvious to everyone.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just want to add that I love how Spidey prioritizes saving people over beating up the villains and even takes the time to have pep-talks with nerdy kids and adults alike. It even seems like he enjoys his job! It's a fresh change from the other recent comic book movies.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I just want to add that I love how Spidey prioritizes saving people over beating up the villains and even takes the time to have pep-talks with nerdy kids and adults alike. It even seems like he enjoys his job! It's a fresh change from the other recent comic book movies.

The Spider-Man comics have always been like this and it's the reason Spider-Man is the best comic book series in history.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Like the first film, I found this one a bit of a mixed bag. It's certainly nowhere near as good as Captain America 2.

Garfield and, in particular, Stone are really likeable actors. They're definitely the best things about the reboot. I thought Dane DeHaan was good as Harry Osborn. I don't really read comics, so Gwen's death was a surprise. I thought it was well done and it's refreshing for a central character to actually get killed given that superhero movies are usually consequence free.

There was a whole bunch of generic stuff though. I inwardly groaned at Electro's origin scene. If someone bumped their hip on a desk at Oscorp it would turn them into Table-Man, the master of furniture. Plus the little kid at the end was one of the most irritating movie cliches.

Also it's not worth staying for the X-men teaser that's a couple of minutes into the final credits. It's basically just a out of context clip from the forthcoming movie, rather than the typical teasers you get in Marvel films. The whole thing reeks of doing something you're contractually obliged to do with the least amount of grace and effort.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Gah I'm so conflicted about this one. It's better than the first movie but I thought that got to be a bit of a mess.

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are great. And it's a shame they've not been better serviced by what they're given. The movie is overly long and thankfully isn't quite as packed with villains as the trailer makes out. However it's still just lacking something. The fights look great but it's almost 100% CG. The swinging scenes looked great though, particularly with where Webb decides to place the 'camera', it adds a little realism to it, like someone has strapped a GoPro to him.

Here be spoilers - Gwen's death was really well handled I thought, and I appreciate that they actually went though with it. I almost expected a fake out but they manage to land it. It's just a shame it doesn't belong to a better film.

And that's my issue with it. It veers between being good and...not. Some moments land and some don't. Again though it's nothing to do with the actors who are all great, but the script is just...lacking. Electro almost works as a sympathetic villain, until he literally goes power mad at the flick of a switch (I thank you). Harry comes off even worse than that. He goes between being disgusted that Oscorp are experimenting on people to turning into a gleeful villain..

I might need another viewing to get my thoughts in order, but most of the time I just thought I'd rather see this take place in the current Marvel universe. I have a feeling they would have a better focus on what they want their story to be.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
Sigh. At least I'll always have the great Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon in which poor Gwen remains alive

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
The Harry Osborne arc is a problem - Dane DeHaan is great in the role, as we'd all expect, but it reminded me a lot of Eddie Brock in Spider-Man 3 in that it's tacked-on and tries to rush through all the comic book history. Harry goes from Peter's BFF to a raging psychopath over two scenes, and I know they set up the inherited condition plotline but considering that Harry wasn't mentioned in the first film it was so hard to buy them as being close childhood friends based on one scene of them dicking around New York.

And yeah, it was pretty hard to grasp that Harry somehow knew he had to crawl into the supersuit that just HAPPENED to be there after he transformed. That in particular was incredibly rushed.

Gwen's death, as I said, is very well-executed and effective, and the fact that it was essentially an accident is something I would hope they go with in the next film. I'd love to see a conflicted "I didn't think she would actually die" angle for Harry, and how Peter handles that.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 18, 2014

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Is there an additional post credits scene besides the silly little X-Men bit?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Senjuro posted:

Is there an additional post credits scene besides the silly little X-Men bit?

No nothing. I don't think that needs spoiling though. It's just some weird cross promotion bit with an out of context scene from X-Men. So weird.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Yeah, that was weird. Apparently it has something to do with Mark Webb being under contract to make a film for Fox? The other people in the cinema thought it was hinting at a Spider-Man/X-Men crossover in the future, so I think it's not having the effect they were hoping for...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I knew about the post credits scene beforehand and it still felt really weird and out of place. The How to Train Your Dragon 2 trailer they showed before the movie was pretty strange as well. It was less of a trailer and more of a sneak peak of the first couple minutes of the movie. I had to check I hadn't entered the wrong salon.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Sigh. At least I'll always have the great Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon in which poor Gwen remains alive

They were going to kill her in Season 3.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Just came back from seeing it, FANTASTIC movie. I didn't found it too cluttered and everything got a (passing) explanation so there wasn't any asspulls. However it did felt like a preamble of sorts, like we were just seeing half of the story therefore lacking a real conclusion and plenty of plot hooks, in few words it was like seeing a comic book with actors with everything that entails (silly origins, weird character quirks, 'see you next issue' kind of endings, non-stop action).

Really pleased with it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Does anybody know the name of the track that plays over Peter moping about in his headphones when he first opens his dad's satchel?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Just came back from seeing it, FANTASTIC movie. I didn't found it too cluttered and everything got a (passing) explanation so there wasn't any asspulls. However it did felt like a preamble of sorts, like we were just seeing half of the story therefore lacking a real conclusion and plenty of plot hooks, in few words it was like seeing a comic book with actors with everything that entails (silly origins, weird character quirks, 'see you next issue' kind of endings, non-stop action).

Really pleased with it.

My issue is almost that it feels like the latter half one movie and then the start of another. It's a little all over the place. It borrows liberally from Spider-Man 2 as well, but I still don't think they've nailed the 'Good guy goes bad with power' quite as well as that movie did with Doc Ock, which both set him up as a believable good guy and then provided pretty good reasoning for him to turn the way he does. That's actually two movies now where they've tried and failed to get that right. This just has that weird stuff with BJ Novak that gets no payoff (Though you know there's an edit out there where he gets his commupance) and then you have Harry who goes from being I guess a good guy (but still sinister for no reason) to out and out villain without a thought.

It's just frustrating because I feel like there's aspects they absolutely nail and again, Garfield is fantastic, but there's some real clunky stuff in there.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's written like a cartoon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrVenkman posted:

My issue is almost that it feels like the latter half one movie and then the start of another. It's a little all over the place. It borrows liberally from Spider-Man 2 as well, but I still don't think they've nailed the 'Good guy goes bad with power' quite as well as that movie did with Doc Ock, which both set him up as a believable good guy and then provided pretty good reasoning for him to turn the way he does. That's actually two movies now where they've tried and failed to get that right. This just has that weird stuff with BJ Novak that gets no payoff (Though you know there's an edit out there where he gets his commupance) and then you have Harry who goes from being I guess a good guy (but still sinister for no reason) to out and out villain without a thought.

It's just frustrating because I feel like there's aspects they absolutely nail and again, Garfield is fantastic, but there's some real clunky stuff in there.

To be fair, I don't think we should thought of Max like a good guy. He was pretty unhinged before turning into Electro, he was just much of a coward to do what he really wanted to do.

Harry on the other hand was predictable and something out of a comicbook (or as Baron Bifford says, a cartoon), things wouldn't gotten so bad if Peter would've been honest with him since the beginning. I did found awfully convenient that his genetic defect made him goblin-like though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am rewatching Spider-Man on TNT right now. I don't know why people poo poo on it now, it's a pretty good movie and I do remember liking it when it came out.

• Locked thread