Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And he wouldn't be much of a promoter if he didn't have confidence in his product, so I'm sure he believes ECW was good enough to succeed if he'd gotten a good TV outlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yeah, either Heyman has been cooking up a good story about how ECW went bankrupt or he was telling the truth. Either way, it did sound like he was stuck where he couldn't run ECW as it was anymore without TV time, and was owed a bunch of money from the PPV providers.

In the end, he also says that he didn't come to WWF to be a commentator, but Jerry Lawler quit and Vince basically begged him to do it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ICHIBAHN posted:

Bubba is wresting smart. Let's make that distinction. He's still a loving moron.
He seems to know his trivia though if that episode of The Weakest Link is anything to go by

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I totally made Meltzer's point about the TNA brand being a negative draw in either this thread or the TNA thread, as compared to The AJ Styles Show ft. Random Jobbers Off the Streets.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

oatgan posted:

Wrestlehut Pisscast Episode 36: I'm Insatiable, oh yeah

we did another show if you don't know what to expect by now you probably don't care!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jstvab394v5rkvd/036+Wrestlehut+Pisscast.mp3

I still find myself laughing at oatgan calling Global Force Wrestling "Hee-Haw with wrestling matches".

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Has anyone listened to Roddy Piper's podcast yet?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

achillesforever6 posted:

He seems to know his trivia though if that episode of The Weakest Link is anything to go by

It's not.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gaz-L posted:

And he wouldn't be much of a promoter if he didn't have confidence in his product, so I'm sure he believes ECW was good enough to succeed if he'd gotten a good TV outlet.

(Not being snide but) did you listen to his interview? It's not about confidence in the product, it's about having good enough distribution to keep the product alive. That deal wouldn't have provided that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

(Not being snide but) did you listen to his interview? It's not about confidence in the product, it's about having good enough distribution to keep the product alive. That deal wouldn't have provided that.

I know. My point is that he's not lying, at least not consciously, about believing he had the product part of the equation, even though a big argument is that said product had niche appeal at best. It's hard to be a good promoter if you don't have faith in what you're promoting. The fallback TV deal would've been putting a braindead ECW on life support

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think I need to download Deer Hunter Two Thousand Fourteen on the app store or Google Play.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

MassRafTer posted:

I think I need to download Deer Hunter Two Thousand Fourteen on the app store or Google Play.

Don't forget to bring your shotgun as your backup weapon.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Don't forget to bring your shotgun as your backup weapon.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the Dollar Shave Club. I laughed as he read the ad, then he says "And you can get bi-monthly plans too" I was like "Perhaps this shave club is for me." He's also convinced me my electrified rat fence probably isn't tall enough either.

Back to the question on Heyman, after listening to it, that was definitely the most honest version of the story you'll get from Heyman but there is a thick coat of bullshit. He makes it sound like they were really close at the end but in reality there was a talent exodus due to the lack of pay and the debts were more than he's letting on. By saying they were 7 million in the hole, but 4 of that was too his family and he was owed 2.8 million by the PPV companies and you go "Wow, if they had that money, they'd be OK!" In reality the debts were 8.8 million with several "unknowns" on the slate, so it was likely well over 9. While the PPV companies owed him money, he also owed them money, so it isn't as clear cut as he said. So at the end of the day they would still have a bunch of debt. I hadn't heard about the daily Fox Sports Network show before, so that was interesting. I had only heard about an RSN deal in Ohio that Dreamer had found.

Overall it was a really interesting look at the death of ECW from Heyman's perspective, and if you remember Heyman is carnie for liar you'll learn something!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

I don't know, I'm not sure whether or not I can shoot animals as they attack me or not.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know, I'm not sure whether or not I can shoot animals as they attack me or not.

I'm also not sure if I want to track deer and engage in all of the stealth aspects of hunting, it'd be nice if I could just shoot some deer with friends.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

MassRafTer posted:

...and if you remember Heyman is carnie for liar...

...holy poo poo, that is subtly brilliant.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
I am listening to the Paul Heyman episodes and jesus christ I could listen to Paul talk literally forever

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I don't get it.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I'm also not sure if I want to track deer and engage in all of the stealth aspects of hunting, it'd be nice if I could just shoot some deer with friends.

Then Texas style deer hunting is right up your alley

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Of course he runs a marketing business, he can talk you into anything. His idol is probably that record executive he talked about who sold his indie label for millions and bought it back for pennies twice.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fiveace Attorney posted:

I am listening to the Paul Heyman episodes and jesus christ I could listen to Paul talk literally forever

As I was listening I found myself thinking it's a shame he's on the WWE roster because I want him to have a podcast, and then weighed whether I'd get more enjoyment from his promos or from hearing him talk about whatever for an hour a week. Decisions decisions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Best part is that the two interviews were several hours apart, and in those intervening hours Austin and Heyman CONTINUED to just shoot the poo poo and discuss stuff till Austin decided to start recording again.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

MassRafTer posted:

As I was listening I found myself thinking it's a shame he's on the WWE roster because I want him to have a podcast, and then weighed whether I'd get more enjoyment from his promos or from hearing him talk about whatever for an hour a week. Decisions decisions.

Give me the podcast in an instant. For as amusing as Austin doing copy material is, Heyman would be even better.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Fiveace Attorney posted:

The main thing to realize is a lot of the stuff he's saying is bullshit. Once you realize that it's fantastic.

The end of the firing story was pretty funny for an exclusive.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ICHIBAHN posted:

I don't get it.

Carny in this case refers to the language used by carnies, sometimes called pallary or something similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parlyaree

Luigi Thirty posted:

Of course he runs a marketing business, he can talk you into anything. His idol is probably that record executive he talked about who sold his indie label for millions and bought it back for pennies twice.

Yeah, the way he talked about this dude was with nothing but reverence and respect.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BlueArmyMan posted:

Give me the podcast in an instant. For as amusing as Austin doing copy material is, Heyman would be even better.

"Man, Paul's right, I could totally use an infected needle jammed into my eye!"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MassRafTer posted:

That Brock promo post Wrestlemania was almost worth the streak being broken for.

Also you could have given ECW 10 million to pay off all their debts and I still don't think they could have gone anywhere.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think the weird thing with Heymans story about the firing is... he seemed to not just explain what he explained to Austin "This is exactly what I was doing, I wasn't listening in, I was in bed, I didn't put the phone blah blah blah." The way he puts it made him sound like... well like when Vince called him out after the Rumble, the whole "That wasn't my voice"

Could have been the way he told the story, but all I was thinking was "Tell the truth"

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I thought it was all just build-up for the punchline, not that I would put it past Heyman to make something like this up. Great story either way.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Onmi posted:

Could have been the way he told the story, but all I was thinking was "Tell the truth"

I don't think that's possible for Paul.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Heyman's stories are made so much better by Austin's response to them. Hearing him slowly crack up as the firing story unfolded was great and you ended up getting quite how much affection they have for each other.

"Jesus Christ. You're a piece of work."

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

MassRafTer posted:

He makes it sound like they were really close at the end but in reality there was a talent exodus due to the lack of pay and the debts were more than he's letting on.

He even talks about it in the family friendly episode when Austin asks him whether ECW would've really had mass market appeal if they'd managed to land a decent TV deal considering how extreme and violent their product was, and Heyman explains they ended up gravitating towards bloody brawls because at the end all the talent capable of doing more than that had left.

You know poo poo is bad if Paul Heyman can't even really convince you it was ever going to work.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

Heyman's stories are made so much better by Austin's response to them. Hearing him slowly crack up as the firing story unfolded was great and you ended up getting quite how much affection they have for each other.

"Jesus Christ. You're a piece of work."

That story was amazing.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Where's part one of the Heyman interview? In itunes and on the podcast one site it just has part two and I want to listen to ALL of Heyman's bullshit.

Edit: Nevermind it seems it's a clean episode. Stone Cold, clean? Weird.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Poison Jam posted:

Where's part one of the Heyman interview? In itunes and on the podcast one site it just has part two and I want to listen to ALL of Heyman's bullshit.

Under "Clean"

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
Yeah I knew Paul was full of poo poo that entire story and the minute he got to the punchline I was like AHA! It's our ol' "I'm a booker and I've lied every day of my life but I'm telling the truth this time" Paul Heyman

Jayou
Mar 14, 2007

Sparkly Vampires are Wrestlicious!
On the basis that I enjoy Chris Hardwick's Nerdist Podcast I thought Id give their wrestling podcast a try, Wrestling Compadres, as they tend to get decent names from the industry on as guests - Booker T is a regular along with Nigel McGuinness.

Wow, it seems absolutely terrible - Annoying intro song, annoying sound effects (think morning radio sound clips) and incredibly irritating hosts. I had to turn it off after listening to the hosts interview Austin Aries who explained he is a strict vegan who only eats plants as milk causes cancer. With the justification being that babies drink milk to grow and if your an adult drinking milk the only thing you are helping grow is cancer. He also of course urged people to "Ask Questions" about food they put in their body.

Is this show always this bad?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Jayou posted:

On the basis that I enjoy Chris Hardwick's Nerdist Podcast I thought Id give their wrestling podcast a try, Wrestling Compadres, as they tend to get decent names from the industry on as guests - Booker T is a regular along with Nigel McGuinness.

Wow, it seems absolutely terrible - Annoying intro song, annoying sound effects (think morning radio sound clips) and incredibly irritating hosts. I had to turn it off after listening to the hosts interview Austin Aries who explained he is a strict vegan who only eats plants as milk causes cancer. With the justification being that babies drink milk to grow and if your an adult drinking milk the only thing you are helping grow is cancer. He also of course urged people to "Ask Questions" about food they put in their body.

Austin Aries is always that bad.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
Austin Aries is a sack of poo poo that started screaming about "false flags" mere hours after the Boston Marathon bombing. I can't speak to the quality of that show, but you should probably give it a listen when they have an actual human being as a guest.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Jayou posted:

It's good to know that Austin Aries didn't drink milk so he ended up 5'3". Drink your milk so you don't end up like Austin Aries, kids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Even now Aries is tracking down all of your twitter names, cackling to himself as he clicks the block button thinking "see I am the one with the power, and am in no way shape or form a thin skinned man child with terrible opinions about everything."

For you see he is the greatest man that ever lived.

• Locked thread