Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Were there any new franchises that fit into those five years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Xenoblade is probably the most relevant one.

After that I can think of Pandora's Tower, Endless Ocean, The Last Story, Disaster: Day of Crisis

On 3DS: Pushmo, Dillon, Sakura Samurai, Ketzal's Corridors, etc...

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 19, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raserys posted:

That's a depressingly huge gap between early Wii and the 3DS.

Not really? If you look at the one of the more likely leaks there would be something from 2009 (Rhythm Heaven) and 2012 (Xenoblade and Fire Emblem: Awakening) at bare minimum. That's ignoring other stuff which could easily fit into that, either in terms of characters or other material. (Pushmo/Crashmo as an assist trophy or stage is super-likely.)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Captain Pissweak posted:

Pushmo

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Also doesn't hurt to keep in mind that:

1. Some of those filled in years are just premiers of alternate versions of characters that were already there earlier.

2. Some of those filled in years are just new characters in existing franchises, not new franchises, that just happened to not make their appearance in the first game of the series.

3. When you have a pretty ridiculously massive stable of characters, there isn't much NEED to keep making new ones.

And 4. As people above have mentioned, there have been plenty of new franchises in the interim. It's arguable, but for the most part they haven't exactly skyrocketed to fame as past series.

:spergin:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
See in terms of offering characters, Xenoblade's really the only one (cursory glance at what Pushmo is exactly told me that the main character is a blob or something, and while it worked for Kirby and Jigglypuff it sounds more like stage material).

Though looking at my 3DS has reminded me Layton exists. How likely is it Level-5 would cooperate? A puzzle Final Smash would own, though it wouldn't really work on Wii U I guess.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Pushmo dude (Mallo) is a cute lil' sumotori with this face :3:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

It also shows 1994 was a very important year for baseball caps (or vice versa).

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Joramun posted:

This is informative

Didn't Animal Crossing start out as a Japan-only N64 game? Villager should be further back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

Didn't Animal Crossing start out as a Japan-only N64 game? Villager should be further back.

If you're going to nitpick the list there's a bunch of things. Like the Zelda trio is all in either original or TOoT's date but Zelda and Link aren't using their TOoT designs and Zelda's a separate character from Shiek anyway now, including having a TP design and Spirit Tracks attacks. If you're dividing characters up by when that versions of the character debuted, Zelda should probably be in 2006.

Edit: Also looking it up, 2001 is right for the n64 game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 19, 2014

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

horriblePencilist posted:

Nope, Animal Forest (the N64 original) came out in 2001 so thats when it started. He's in the right box.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Joramun posted:

This is informative

golden sun: dark dawn

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Mostly that image just reminds me that 1986 was a pretty cool year to be buying new NES games.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Your Friend posted:

golden sun: dark dawn

We don't talk about that game.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
We could talk about the other two though :allears:

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Raserys posted:

That's a depressingly huge gap between early Wii and the 3DS.

Captain Pissweak posted:

Here's a chart of stuff you may or may not have forgotten!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
It breaks my heart that I know for drat sure that none of the Wonderful Ones will be in the new Smash.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I'd love an Elite Beat Agents or Ouendan assist trophy.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Can't we talk about how well Isaac rocked a beard in that game?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

HJE-Cobra posted:

I'd love an Elite Beat Agents or Ouendan assist trophy.

It should be 3ds only, and actually make you play that horrid game for around 10 seconds or so.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Seshoho Cian posted:

Oh Magical Starsign and Glory of Heracles... I look right at your boxes pretty frequently and I forget you exist. :allears:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

When Dark Dawn came out I played it without using Psynergy or items to heal as a challenge and just used Djinn. The battles were actually pretty fun like that, and the final boss/bonus bosses were actually kind of difficult. Unfortunately every single character has to speak their mind during every single cutscene.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

It should be 3ds only, and actually make you play that horrid game for around 10 seconds or so.

I refuse to believe that there is a human being out there who hates Ouendan.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
A Doshin stage (or assist tophy) would rule.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I got a lot of enjoyment out of the GBA Golden Sun games after I used someone's mod to sharply tune the difficulty/exp gain up. The game itself is fine, it's just the stock difficulty is laughable. It's a kid's game though, so it's not really something that's worth arguing about.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Seshoho Cian posted:

TAP! TAP! TAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAP TAP TAP! TAP TAP TAPTAP TAP TAP TAP! TAPTAP TAP oh wait i broke my screen / wrist

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ignite Memories posted:

TAP! TAP! TAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAP TAP TAP! TAP TAP TAPTAP TAP TAP TAP! TAPTAP TAP oh wait i broke my screen / wrist

Sorry about your bizarre lack of strength control and also your young adult arthritis.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I animate for a living, it's actually pretty loving important to me that I not gently caress up my wrist with unnecessary stress

edit: and yes, arthritis is gonna hit me early and hard.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm an animator and EBA was fuckin rad. It got me through the wait in line for the original Wii launch in Times Square.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

edit: and yes, arthritis is gonna hit me early and hard.

It's not the only thing that's gonna if you keep talking poo poo 'bout Ouendan, punk.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hahahaha, alright, fine, you got me, I just don't enjoy the gameplay and music. The design is pretty ace.

But surely that doesn't change the fact that this actually would be the best way to do an EBA assist trophy.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Seshoho Cian posted:

WHERE'S MY KYLE HYDE, NINTENDO

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

Hahahaha, alright, fine, you got me, I just don't enjoy the gameplay and music. The design is pretty ace.

But surely that doesn't change the fact that this actually would be the best way to do an EBA assist trophy.

Too late now, the Ouendan Defense Force is already rhythmically knocking at your door.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

SilverSupernova posted:

Can't we talk about how well Isaac rocked a beard in that game?

Actually the character design was probably one of the best aspects of that game - Isaac went from generic anime teen to badass older dude:

to

I would totally dig a playable Isaac, as long as he used his Dark Dawn design and not his original GBA design

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rooreelooo posted:

I would totally dig a playable Isaac, as long as he used his Dark Dawn design and not his original GBA design
Considering they didn't use Ike's adult model, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Captain Pissweak posted:

See in terms of offering characters, Xenoblade's really the only one (cursory glance at what Pushmo is exactly told me that the main character is a blob or something, and while it worked for Kirby and Jigglypuff it sounds more like stage material).

Though looking at my 3DS has reminded me Layton exists. How likely is it Level-5 would cooperate? A puzzle Final Smash would own, though it wouldn't really work on Wii U I guess.

I know it's somewhat unlikely, but Layton is the only new character I really want in Smash 4. Considering many of the characters in Smash Bros. weren't in fighting games to begin with, he's not as illogical a choice as one might think. and Level-5 has worked with Nintendo quite a lot in the last few years (and indeed Layton has been virtually a Nintendo exclusive character).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terper posted:

Considering they didn't use Ike's adult model, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

They went with the Gamecube Fire Emblem Ike instead of the Wii one and I don't see what the problem is? :confused:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

They went with the Gamecube Fire Emblem Ike instead of the Wii one and I don't see what the problem is? :confused:
I'm saying that they're using the prettyboy/girl versions of the characters, so there's no way they'd use Isaac's adult one.

Don't get me wrong, I dig both of those designs, I'M JUST SAYING.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
If Isaac was rockin' his beard and his six-foot-seven-ness I would totally be down for having him, even over his son who has the advantage of having my name and being in the most recent one and pretty much no other advantage.

The only way I could see Isaac happening at all, though, is if he factors enough into the next one, which given the current pattern of release is still probably another five or six years out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Seshoho Cian posted:

There is a visible circle carved into my ds's touchscreen from that game.

• Locked thread