Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bob A Feet posted:

I really enjoyed this post. Yes I'm encouraging you. ATC fascinates me. Flying to somewhere like DFW terrifies me.

I was already a controller when I began my private pilot training. For one of my first dual cross country flights (longer flight with the instructor in the plane with me), I chose Fort Worth Alliance airport. I wanted to get into the Bravo and experience that type of busy environment, and I like that airport, my dad works there for American Airlines and there's neat stuff to see in the area from above.

Being a controller already, I was still taken aback by the rapidity of communications in that environment. My instructor had to prompt me a couple times to speak up and get my request in, I kept waiting for people to finish talking.....but they never finished talking. It was an eye opener. Still very fun. I've since been back through that airspace a handful of times and have always been treated very well by the controllers there, even in my slow Cessna 150. Once, they let me fly right past Dallas Love's departure corridor with jets stopping 500ft below me. It was cool. You get to go right over Downtown Dallas doing that as well, VFR city flying is a different kind of beast that's for sure.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Who's got two thumbs, and soloed this morning?

THIS GUY

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Congrats, PIC!

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

The Ferret King posted:

I was already a controller when I began my private pilot training. For one of my first dual cross country flights (longer flight with the instructor in the plane with me), I chose Fort Worth Alliance airport. I wanted to get into the Bravo and experience that type of busy environment, and I like that airport, my dad works there for American Airlines and there's neat stuff to see in the area from above.

Being a controller already, I was still taken aback by the rapidity of communications in that environment. My instructor had to prompt me a couple times to speak up and get my request in, I kept waiting for people to finish talking.....but they never finished talking. It was an eye opener. Still very fun. I've since been back through that airspace a handful of times and have always been treated very well by the controllers there, even in my slow Cessna 150. Once, they let me fly right past Dallas Love's departure corridor with jets stopping 500ft below me. It was cool. You get to go right over Downtown Dallas doing that as well, VFR city flying is a different kind of beast that's for sure.

My first solo xc was skirting underneath the eastern side of the dfw bravo. I was in a 150 and I think Dallas departure control was a bit annoyed at the flight following request while he was busy stacking southwest 737s. For my long xc I went to witicha falls, fort worth center is much calmer.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
So we're already out of reserve captains for my domicile at 8AM. On a day where severe WX is predicted at not only our base, but the entire Midwest. This summer is going to be brutal.

MrYenko posted:

Who's got two thumbs, and soloed this morning?

THIS GUY

Congrats! Did you lose half a t-shirt?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

So we're already out of reserve captains for my domicile at 8AM. On a day where severe WX is predicted at not only our base, but the entire Midwest. This summer is going to be brutal.

Im watching a storm roll in from the west here, too. Its gonna be a fun afternoon.

KodiakRS posted:

Congrats! Did you lose half a t-shirt?

No, I don't get that tradition at all. Instructor doesn't do it, either.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It used to be very loud with no intercom in planes, and the instructor always sat behind you. When they wanted your attention they'd pull on your shirt tail. Now that you've soloed, you're competent and no shirt pulling necessary. Thus it gets cut.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey Hey Hey....

I flew a 310 yesterday.

What up fully feathered prop. That's not so scary..............

Except the 'climb rate' at 120kts was -200FPM..........................................

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Captain Apollo posted:

Except the 'climb rate' at 120kts was -200FPM..........................................

You sure you weren't in a CRJ2?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

fknlo posted:

You sure you weren't in a CRJ2?

Can confirm, CRJ2s don't climb.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So I was supposed to have my instructor rating flight test today. Oral booked for 10am and flight for 11:30am, at 8:30am the weather still looks like poo poo outside and the TAF showing that it won't get any better than 300' vertical vis. Talk to the examiner and we decide its pointless so it gets cancelled. 10am rolls around and the sky parts open and we've got 6000' ceilings and the newest TAF says it'll hold through to 4pm. God damnit. As an added gently caress you, the weather looks like crap tomorrow (its snowing, what the hell YOW?) and I leave for like 10 days Wednesday morning. So I guess I'm doing my flight test on ~24th now?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
If it makes you feel any better, I was at the flight school itself til 10am, and the live RVR at that time was showing 22 g 28 and it got worse as the day went on.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MrYenko posted:

My Wednesday morning is better than your Wednesday morning.

Sorry for the late reply, I couldn't hear you over the sound of FREEDOM roaring overhead on Wednesday.

[Also on Monday, during the actual airwing fly-off.]

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Oh how I'd love to be a passenger for a carrier trap and launch. I doubt it'll ever happen though.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Oh how I'd love to be a passenger for a carrier trap and launch. I doubt it'll ever happen though.

I would do shameful things for this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I missed a C-2 ride by one day. I'm still furious about it.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Now, someone needs to quote Wingnut's post and reply with photos of their SR71 flight :unsmith:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Infinotize posted:

Now, someone needs to quote Wingnut's post and reply with photos of their SR71 flight :unsmith:

Followed by an astronaut with photos of the shuttle. :black101:

Cat shots are a pretty awesome rush, though I think spinning a T-6 still beats it by a slight margin. Granted, that's a cat shot in the back of an E-2; it may be a little more exciting when you can see where you're going.

On the other hand, sitting there on a pitch-black night, waiting to be flung out over the ocean in a little aluminum tube, relying on a hundred different things to happen, or not happen, is a wonderful time for some meaningful contemplation of life, the universe, and the desirability of ejection seats.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

MrYenko posted:

I missed a C-2 ride by one day. I'm still furious about it.

You missed riding in a flying emergency waiting to happen!

So the old rear end king airs we fly (C-12) have a chemical toilet in the back near the cargo area as well as a relief tube. Simple tube with a push switch, works off of the planes pressurization. Simple rule, you press the button and here woosh of air going into it, you're safe to pee. Sorry ladies. Tonight on a training flight I had flown my portion and another student hopped into the seat. I unstrapped, let the instructor know I was disconnecting, and went back. Well it was pretty loving dark and I left my headset at the front, so no lip light. Well how bad could it be right? I just decide gently caress it the 10 feet to my seat is too far, I pee. I put one finger on one side of the funnel and one on the other and figure if I feel pee on my hand, I'm missing. All good right? Wrongoooo turns out I just filled up the funnel faster than it could drain and ended up peeing the contents of a 20 oz mountain dew onto the back carpet of the king air.

So my genius idea was to turn off all the ball socket vents over the passenger seats except the one right over the toilet/tube area. It worked :smug:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

You missed riding in a flying emergency waiting to happen!

So the old rear end king airs we fly (C-12) have a chemical toilet in the back near the cargo area as well as a relief tube. Simple tube with a push switch, works off of the planes pressurization. Simple rule, you press the button and here woosh of air going into it, you're safe to pee. Sorry ladies. Tonight on a training flight I had flown my portion and another student hopped into the seat. I unstrapped, let the instructor know I was disconnecting, and went back. Well it was pretty loving dark and I left my headset at the front, so no lip light. Well how bad could it be right? I just decide gently caress it the 10 feet to my seat is too far, I pee. I put one finger on one side of the funnel and one on the other and figure if I feel pee on my hand, I'm missing. All good right? Wrongoooo turns out I just filled up the funnel faster than it could drain and ended up peeing the contents of a 20 oz mountain dew onto the back carpet of the king air.

So my genius idea was to turn off all the ball socket vents over the passenger seats except the one right over the toilet/tube area. It worked :smug:

And this is why you never get a job working on airplanes with lavatories. Because people are loving disgusting.

Content:

Due to my on-again off-again flight training, but general competencies and knowledge, my instructor is allowing me to use most of my prior hours to satisfy the requirements for certification, which means all I have left to do is ~2.5hrs of hood time, a night cross country, the long solo cross country, and enough solo time to satisfy the 10hr minimum. I'm going to ask him to review steep turns and turns about a point with me as well, since its been twenty years a little while since I've done them in a real airplane.

...And wouldn't you know it, it's weather season in South Florida. :negative:

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

MrYenko posted:

And this is why you never get a job working on airplanes with lavatories. Because people are loving disgusting.

Well, that would rule you out of flying a lot of planes.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
One of my most memorable moments from ground school was when my and my two buddies were crammed into a 4-seat cessna with the flight instructor, and one of them digs up a bright orange UCD from under the seat, and asks the dude what it's for. :v:

It took us a loooong time to realize what it was actually used for.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

brendanwor posted:

Well, that would rule you out of flying a lot of planes.

Not flying, wrenching. Chasing bluewater leaks loving SUCKS.

CONTENT:

Made my first solo cross country this morning. Also; Pahokee is still painfully boring.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Made my first solo cross country this morning. Also; Pahokee is still painfully boring.

Yep. I've landed there a few times.

Have they ever fixed PHK VOR? Also if you want to have a little fun land at Belle Glade (X10).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I tuned it in this morning, working normally. Is/was there something specifically wrong with it?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Flying from Corpus Christi to Saint Augustine to Key West tomorrow. Who do I get to talk to?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What time are you departing? If it's in the morning, not me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So my CPL written with a twist is Monday. The twist is that it's 70% pass, not 60%. Also, if I fail it I get a retake on Friday. If I fail that, my entire professional flying life is put on hold for a year so I can retake commercial ground school when it starts in January 2015. Anyone have any tips, or something? Been studying my rear end off and freaking the gently caress out already.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Learning plateaus suck, especially when trying to finish IOE.

I can get through a flight just fine as pilot monitoring, and 99% of a flight just fine as pilot flying, but for some reason my approaches always seem to go to hell at about 300ft (I end up chasing the glideslope and flight director), resulting in a long landing.

I think a lot of the issue stems from the fact that the control harmony on the Q400 is terrible (the elevator requires a lot of force to move, but has no feedback, the ailerons aren't bad, and the power levers are incredibly sensitive on approach), so I just haven't quite figured out how much force is needed to make the small, rapid corrections needed on short final without under controlling the pitch. The fact that approaches into Seattle (the only place I've had issues) require a pretty drastic speed change on final (crossing the FAF at 170kt, then slowing to ~110kt while adding gear and flaps before 1000ft AGL) probably isn't helping, but hopefully the next training trip will be my last.

The last couple of check airmen I've flown with have assured me that I'm making normal progress, so I'm really hoping I can get this figured out within the next couple of legs I fly.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm still at the "Save money and read everything about aviation you can find" stage of my flying (non) career, but I'm hoping nobody minds a pretty obvious question- on huge passenger planes like the 777, what is your workday like between takeoff and landing? I know it can't just be monitoring the radio and waiting for an emergency light to go on...

Chaindor
Dec 1, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm still at the "Save money and read everything about aviation you can find" stage of my flying (non) career, but I'm hoping nobody minds a pretty obvious question- on huge passenger planes like the 777, what is your workday like between takeoff and landing? I know it can't just be monitoring the radio and waiting for an emergency light to go on...

Based on reading Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) transcripts from NTSB accident reports it seems like that is the case. They run through checklist on the climb up to the flight levels, check in with center, and then start discussing internal airline politics most of the time. Might not be the best sample for how "professional" pilots should act, but they don't tend to publish their transcripts.

The best I've seen is from a guy named Guido Warnecke who flies a Citation V, and smaller things and posts awesome videos like: http://youtu.be/GdWQRWtTTAs

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Holy crap, these are incredible- I think I just figured out what I'm doing for entertainment + education this evening.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah that guy's great. Excellent video and audio, and he really tries to spell things out for the layman.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Omi no Kami posted:

on huge passenger planes like the 777, what is your workday like between takeoff and landing? I know it can't just be monitoring the radio and waiting for an emergency light to go on...

Things you're doing in cruise:

-Monitoring the autopilot to make sure it's actually doing what you told it to
-Monitoring the radio
-Monitoring fuel burn and comparing it to planned burn
-Monitoring weather, both at the destination and en-route. Also, trying to avoid turbulence.
-Monitoring systems (Oil, electrical, pressurization, hydraulic)
-Monitoring the navigation equipment to make sure you are where it says you are

You'll notice that most of what you're doing in cruise is making sure the airplane is doing what it's supposed to, and there's usually not much input required by the pilots. Currently most airlines have bans in place on doing anything other than keeping a traffic watch and reading company material.*

During climb and descent you tend to watch the airplane a lot more to ensure that it's climbing/descending the way you want it to and that you're going to make any altitude restrictions. You're also either preparing for approach or running after takeoff checks as appropriate.

*There is some debate as to whether or not the company stock ticker in U.S.A. Today means it can be considered company material.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So this may be a silly question then, but how do you keep from getting bored during cruise? I assume that unless there's a problem a lot of the stuff you're monitoring will stay within a fairly narrow range, and getting bored/sleepy/coma-ridden is exactly the kind of thing that would cause you to potentially miss critical things in the first place.

simble
May 11, 2004

I've always heard the job described as hours of boredom and seconds of terror.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

So this may be a silly question then, but how do you keep from getting bored during cruise? I assume that unless there's a problem a lot of the stuff you're monitoring will stay within a fairly narrow range, and getting bored/sleepy/coma-ridden is exactly the kind of thing that would cause you to potentially miss critical things in the first place.

It helps to have cool crew members. Thats why I love the DTW base for my company, most people are chill and you can have great conversations, or you can just shut up without awkward silence. Mostly we just read, do crossword puzzles, do our chart revisions, etc. Tablets and cellphones are common too but its supposed to be an unwanted distraction. In my opinion any "distraction" that actually helps keep you awake is a good thing. I always have my kindle with me to either study or read novels for longer flights. For short flights I just stay busy preparing for approach and taxi.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

Chitchat, studying manuals, reading the paper (only 1 person at a time), call for coffee, take a leak, counting down the miles until you get to take a nap. Trans Oceanic is probably the most boring if you have a routine day with no weather.

Longhaul flying isn't that glamorous when you are just trying to kill 12 hours. :unsmith:

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

azflyboy posted:

Learning plateaus suck, especially when trying to finish IOE.

I can get through a flight just fine as pilot monitoring, and 99% of a flight just fine as pilot flying, but for some reason my approaches always seem to go to hell at about 300ft (I end up chasing the glideslope and flight director), resulting in a long landing.

I think a lot of the issue stems from the fact that the control harmony on the Q400 is terrible (the elevator requires a lot of force to move, but has no feedback, the ailerons aren't bad, and the power levers are incredibly sensitive on approach), so I just haven't quite figured out how much force is needed to make the small, rapid corrections needed on short final without under controlling the pitch. The fact that approaches into Seattle (the only place I've had issues) require a pretty drastic speed change on final (crossing the FAF at 170kt, then slowing to ~110kt while adding gear and flaps before 1000ft AGL) probably isn't helping, but hopefully the next training trip will be my last.

The last couple of check airmen I've flown with have assured me that I'm making normal progress, so I'm really hoping I can get this figured out within the next couple of legs I fly.

How early are you turning the autopilot off? It can be very helpful to turn it off way early to get a feel for how the plane is flying, and it allows you to stabilize it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

simble posted:

I've always heard the job described as hours of boredom and seconds of terror.

After a few hundred hours as a flight instructor, my level of terror has dropped immensely as long as I'm the one in control. I welcome long flights where I'm not constantly talking someone out of killing me.

• Locked thread