Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

AlsoD posted:

What ways are there to win in standard without casting spells, other than Mutavaults? I suppose I could try and play cards like Akroan Horse, Brimaz or Pack Rats (which can take over games) before the Possibility Storm.

maze's end, azor's elocutors, biovisionary+progenitor mimic, 70 islands + death stare (win by decking your opponent)

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

AlsoD posted:

What ways are there to win in standard without casting spells, other than Mutavaults? I suppose I could try and play cards like Akroan Horse, Brimaz or Pack Rats (which can take over games) before the Possibility Storm.

Assemble the legion, planeswalkers (big jace, elspeth eg), keranos?

e: Azor's Elocuters is a interesting one.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."
Dave Humphreys was the lead developer on Journey into Nyx. Interesting that JOU looks so good, when the other sets that he was lead developer for - Gatecrash and Avacyn Restored - were thought to be pretty weak. Hope that Journey lives up to expectations in limited!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JerryLee posted:

The way you use those three cards (as I've heard it) is present them to your opponent face down and say 'Pick one for you and one for me.' It's not actually playing a RPS game, and I can't think of any way in which it would be less random than a coin flip unless your opponent somehow peeked.

That works too actually, pretty similar to what I mentioned. And it is pretty much 50/50 chance, so, as you said, pretty much a coinflip. :) Hadn't considered that, thanks.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sade posted:

My favorite part about the leadup to Conspiracy so far is people refusing to call Dank Finnegan by his real name.

I don't think he's been called by his real name once in all of the internet since he was revealed 2-3 years ago.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Applebees posted:

If you enter the Konami code on the Announcing Conspiracy page, it will reveal Dack's mana cost. There are also other secrets if you are into following the conspiracy. Code is U,U,D,D,L,R,L,R,B,A,ENTER.

1UR

I like you applebees, you posted the konami code as if everyone in this thread isn't a big enough nerd to know it by heart.

I truly truly like that :yaycloud:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Does anybody have the image of the master of waves altered to master of babes on hand?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't think he's been called by his real name once in all of the internet since he was revealed 2-3 years ago.

Only Wizards referes to Matt Damon, Greatest Thief in the Multiverse as his 'real' name anymore.

Do be honest, Donk Flaymen, Greatest Thief in The Multiverse probably deserves it.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 19, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

forbidden lesbian posted:

I like you applebees, you posted the konami code as if everyone in this thread isn't a big enough nerd to know it by heart.

I truly truly like that :yaycloud:

Shouldn't there be a Select in there as well? :spergin: Or was that only on SNES games?

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wait, what is his real name? It isn't actually Dack Fayden? I feel betrayed :(

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

C-Euro posted:

Shouldn't there be a Select in there as well? :spergin: Or was that only on SNES games?

"Select" was only used if you wanted 2 players. :spergin:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Select isn't part of the Konami code. Most people just add it because that's how you selected two players. :sci101:

E:fb

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Cauldron Moose posted:

Dirk Freeman

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Cauldron Moose posted:

Venser could have been the greatest thief in the multiverse if only he tried, and also if Maro hadn't loved him.

Also, "I want one ~ Kiora" is flavor text of the set.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 19, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

Venser could have been the greatest thief in the multiverse if only he tried, and also Mark loved himself.

Also, "I want one ~ Kiora" is flavor text of the set.

Yeah, but Venser really isn't the thief-y type. You got to have a passion for it after all.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

jscolon2.0 posted:

Venser could have been the greatest thief in the multiverse if only he tried, and also Mark loved himself.
Wasn't Venser an artificer? More of a DIY type, he'd probably make a better version of whatever it is he wanted. Now, Tezzeret, he'd totally steal it from you. Ajani would ask nicely.

Vraska would stab you.

Tibalt would try to stab you, but instead drop his knife and pick up a rock accidentally. Then he'd try to hit you with the rock, only to drop it and pick up a Phelddagrif that he wouldn't be able to use.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Sade posted:

My favorite part about the leadup to Conspiracy so far is people refusing to call Dank Finnegan by his real name.

To be fair, people have been calling Duck Faygo things that aren't his names since he first showed up in the comics, because Dock Fuddrucker is a stupid name.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Drink Faygo has got to be the most manchild of a character they've ever made and they made Jace.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Dirk Fuckriddle

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Dak Ralter. He was Luke's wingman on Hoth.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I just want a copy of Duluth Minnesota, I hate that he's probably going to be a Mythic (for good reason).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BXCX posted:

I know that it's probably expensive to do a single run of a custom image, but $35 to sleeve a deck and SB with 5 spares seems insane. I could get three packs of Hyper Mats for that. At least they come with the sleeve covers so they might last longer?

Sorry, but the concept of "sleeve covers" is hilarious to me.

Waiting for Sleeve cover covers so I can sleeve my sleeved sleeves in sleeves. But then the outer sleeves will still get dirty! Oh god, the dirt, the horror, nothing will ever be fully clean and protected!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

Sorry, but the concept of "sleeve covers" is hilarious to me.

Waiting for Sleeve cover covers so I can sleeve my sleeved sleeves in sleeves. But then the outer sleeves will still get dirty! Oh god, the dirt, the horror, nothing will ever be fully clean and protected!

Get your custom sleeves, put them on, then their sleeve covers, then KMC super fit clear, then KMC clear, then clear Dragon Shields.
On a Battle Of Wits deck. :getin:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Serperoth posted:

Get your custom sleeves, put them on, then their sleeve covers, then KMC super fit clear, then KMC clear, then clear Dragon Shields.
On a Battle Of Wits deck. :getin:

No toploaders?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cauldron Moose posted:

Doug Feldman

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
So has anyone decided what seeded colour they're choosing for the pre-release yet? Now that we have full spoilers and can see all the commons, I'm curious what everyone intends to play.

I'm still up in the air presently as to which I would like to go with.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

ManiacMatt posted:

So has anyone decided what seeded colour they're choosing for the pre-release yet? Now that we have full spoilers and can see all the commons, I'm curious what everyone intends to play.

I'm still up in the air presently as to which I would like to go with.

White or black. White's promo is busted but I enjoy black better and think its promo is at least 2nd best.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Veyrall posted:

Wasn't Venser an artificer? More of a DIY type, he'd probably make a better version of whatever it is he wanted. Now, Tezzeret, he'd totally steal it from you. Ajani would ask nicely.

Vraska would stab you.

Tibalt would try to stab you, but instead drop his knife and pick up a rock accidentally. Then he'd try to hit you with the rock, only to drop it and pick up a Phelddagrif that he wouldn't be able to use.

Nicol Bolas makes you want to give it to him, and then kills you for not doing it sooner.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Red and Blue's promos look to be pure garbage. White or Green give you some very efficient creatures, while Black is a bit of a build around.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

What are the promos?

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
If I go black, I'm hoping to ruin some people's day with Bloodcrazed Hoplite. Also possibly getting Athreos and Font of Return would probably also give people a case of the sads.

Blue has some really cool cards as well, just he promo is so expensive to cast.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

What are the promos?

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1468

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Elyv posted:

What are the promos?

White: Dawnbringer Charioteers
Blue: Scourge of Fleets
Black: Doomwake Giant
Red: Spawn of Thraxes
Green: Heroes' Bane

https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1468

Applebees fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 19, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Those Hero Artifacts aren't for use in the prerelease swiss tournament, correct?

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013

Pinwiz11 posted:

I just want a copy of Duluth Minnesota, I hate that he's probably going to be a Mythic (for good reason).

The precedent set by every planeswalker ever being Mythic does imply this

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

legoman727 posted:

Red and Blue's promos look to be pure garbage. White or Green give you some very efficient creatures, while Black is a bit of a build around.

How is red's not good, let alone garbage? If you play enough red you can potentially kill a creature (or possibly your opponent) and then leave a 5/5 flyer. As far as Limited is concerned, that's pretty good.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Devor posted:

Those Hero Artifacts aren't for use in the prerelease swiss tournament, correct?

They're for the Hero's Path event thing at I wanna say Gameday (?).

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

bhsman posted:

How is red's not good, let alone garbage? If you play enough red you can potentially kill a creature (or possibly your opponent) and then leave a 5/5 flyer. As far as Limited is concerned, that's pretty good.

It costs seven mana in a deck that doesn't have seven lands out t7.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

bhsman posted:

Similar with the Blue, it's a potential complete blow out given it's basically cyclonic rift on a guy.

a dozen swans posted:

It costs seven mana in a deck that doesn't want to get to seven lands in play.

The prerelease promos are used during Sealed, which isn't as quick OR synergistic as draft. Plus, there's not a lot here screaming that full block Theros is necessarily going to be as fast as BNG-THS-THS. This would be perfectly playable in triple THS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
All the promos seem pretty good cards for sealed.

Trouble with the blue one is that you're almost certainly not mono-blue, so it probably only bounces up to 3 or 4 toughness when you play it. That's still potentially a huge blowout on the order of Sea God's Revenge + a giant dude on board, but it really depends on the board. But still, this is sealed. You can probably get to 7 mana and even Unsummon + a 6/6 is not a bad curve topper.

• Locked thread