Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

a dozen swans posted:

It costs seven mana in a deck that doesn't have seven lands out t7.

Note my use of the Limited qualifier.

Zorak posted:

Similar with the Blue, it's a potential complete blow out given it's basically cyclonic rift on a guy.

Yeah, exactly. Best-case you blow up their best creature/send 7 to their face and still have a 5/5 flyer to potentially win you the game. That's great in Limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ashiok actually being relevant! :aaaaa:

Mostly due to a fuckup BUT STILL!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Ashiok actually being relevant! :aaaaa:

Mostly due to a fuckup BUT STILL!

Would you care expounding on that?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

bhsman posted:

Note my use of the Limited qualifier.

Yeah, exactly. Best-case you blow up their best creature/send 7 to their face and still have a 5/5 flyer to potentially win you the game. That's great in Limited.

I don't particularly like the blue guy since it has very little chance of bouncing any of the other promos. The one it has the best chance of bouncing is the dragon, which you don't want to bounce.
However, I'm pretty sure it will usually bounce enough creatures to break open any kind of board stall. An opponent is VERY unlikely to have more than 1 creature with toughness greater than, say, 5, so this does have a lot of potential. It's definitely no Shipbreaker Kraken.

Incidentally, I can't wait to see a blue vs blue matchup where both players have the promo and 6+ islands.
bounce your guys
bounce your guys
bounce your guys
etc.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AlternateNu posted:

Would you care expounding on that?

RUG planeswalkers had a Kiora, and plussed it against his Esper Control opponent, targeting Ashiok which was on 5. The Ashiok had already exiled a Stormbreath dragon. RUG had an elvish mystic that could have attacked to keep Ashiok from playing the Stormbreath, but because Kiora also prevents damage, he could not keep Ashiok from casting Stormbreath next turn. Stormbreath goes on to do a ton of work.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Devor posted:

RUG planeswalkers had a Kiora, and plussed it against his Esper Control opponent, targeting Ashiok which was on 5. The Ashiok had already exiled a Stormbreath dragon. RUG had an elvish mystic that could have attacked to keep Ashiok from playing the Stormbreath, but because Kiora also prevents damage, he could not keep Ashiok from casting Stormbreath next turn. Stormbreath goes on to do a ton of work.

Why would you ever plus 1 Ashiok with Kiora?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

traslin posted:

Probably just to tick it up to try for an ultimate.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

traslin posted:

No other target, want to build up loyalty?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cauldron Moose posted:

No other target, want to build up loyalty?

Kiora can target lands, though I guess making a Plains not deal or take damage is kind of counter-intuitive.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Kiora can target lands, though I guess making a Plains not deal or take damage is kind of counter-intuitive.

Precisely. She is worded that way I'm sure in part to deal with Mutavault.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
When you play a shock land off the top of your library using Courser's ability, does the card underneath become revealed before you make your choice of whether to pay 2 life for the land to come into play untapped? Or do you make the choice at the instant you move to play the land, before the card underneath becomes revealed?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MiddleEastBeast posted:

When you play a shock land off the top of your library using Courser's ability, does the card underneath become revealed before you make your choice of whether to pay 2 life for the land to come into play untapped? Or do you make the choice at the instant you move to play the land, before the card underneath becomes revealed?

You make the choice to pay the life or not while the land is still on top of the library, so you do not get to see the next card before deciding.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A previous turn he had plused Kiora targeting a temple, so he knew he could target lands too. He just wasn't thinking, hence "mostly due to a fuckup".

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

Sorry, but the concept of "sleeve covers" is hilarious to me.

Waiting for Sleeve cover covers so I can sleeve my sleeved sleeves in sleeves. But then the outer sleeves will still get dirty! Oh god, the dirt, the horror, nothing will ever be fully clean and protected!

"You're ruining my good coasters!"

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

If the decision was a trigger after it entered the battlefield, you could see your next card. Though because you could then tap for mana with the trigger on the stack that would be a really poor drawback, like Lotus Vale's original wording making it 90% of a Black Lotus under current rules. Because you make the choice as it enters the battlefield, you can't see the card.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

All the promos seem pretty good cards for sealed.

Trouble with the blue one is that you're almost certainly not mono-blue, so it probably only bounces up to 3 or 4 toughness when you play it. That's still potentially a huge blowout on the order of Sea God's Revenge + a giant dude on board, but it really depends on the board. But still, this is sealed. You can probably get to 7 mana and even Unsummon + a 6/6 is not a bad curve topper.

Is it just me, or do the white and green promos look better than the other 3 colors by a mile? Black might be decent on a 2nd tier, but there's no way I'm picking blue or red.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Patrick Chapin is a genius. Talking about the interaction of Brimasz, King of Oreskos with a Blightsteel Colossus or a Time Vault, correctly discerning that Brimasz wins the head-to-head against a Time Vault, but interacts much worse with Voltaic Key.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AgentSythe posted:

Patrick Chapin is a genius. Talking about the interaction of Brimasz, King of Oreskos with a Blightsteel Colossus or a Time Vault, correctly discerning that Brimasz wins the head-to-head against a Time Vault, but interacts much worse with Voltaic Key.
99% of the audience going "Who got vintage chat in our Standard tournament!"

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Northjayhawk posted:

Is it just me, or do the white and green promos look better than the other 3 colors by a mile? Black might be decent on a 2nd tier, but there's no way I'm picking blue or red.

I don't agree that green is comparable to white at all, or necessarily all that exceptional. It's a big creature given a mana investment, but compared to cards like Nessian Demolok and Nessian Asp, I don't think it's that much better (that said, those cards are both quite good). I think the card is around the same power level as black's.

Comparatively, I don't see how you can ever lose if you have the Charioteers and any sort of bestow. The play of Charioteers into bestow Observant Alseid, in particular, is just not beatable.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The SCG feed.

Naya Aggro player has a monstrous Fleecemane Lion on board, with Ghor-Clan and Boros Charm in his hand, and the mana to cast both. Opponent was tapped out, at 13 life, with an Elspeth and 3 tokens on board.

Naya player doesn't see the win. :(

Now he might lose.

Edit: He lost.

qbert fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 19, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Think it might have got lost in the last few pages of questions, but is there any decent replacement for Chord of Calling in a modern Pod deck? It's like the only piece of the deck I don't have, and of course it's the most expensive. It looks like a fun build and I'd love to try it out, but I'm not really interested in dropping like $120 on a playset to test it out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
If an attack creature has double strike and trample, and kolls all blockers at the first strike stage, does it deal damage in the regular phase as trample?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Patrick Chapin is good enough to make me watch Standard. "2 explore, or not 2 explore". :allears:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BizarroAzrael posted:

If an attack creature has double strike and trample, and kolls all blockers at the first strike stage, does it deal damage in the regular phase as trample?

Yes.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yes. Yes it does. Just like if you attack with a dude with trample, and the opponent blocks, and you Terror the blocker, it deals all it's damage to the defending player.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Think it might have got lost in the last few pages of questions, but is there any decent replacement for Chord of Calling in a modern Pod deck? It's like the only piece of the deck I don't have, and of course it's the most expensive. It looks like a fun build and I'd love to try it out, but I'm not really interested in dropping like $120 on a playset to test it out.

Uhhhh weird harvest? Summoners pact?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

It mildly annoys me that Obsidian Acolyte, a completely innocuous creature from Invasion, is selling online for upwards of a ticket for absolutely no discernable reason.

I just want to make Pauper Pestilence, dammit. :qq:

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
Alter Reality Games is starting a series of videos using Google Glass to record their feature matches for their Kaijudo tournaments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtFHBab0cig

Any thoughts? Even if not used as the primary video feed for feature matches, it seems like it'd be able to objectively prove cheating really well, since you can more or less see anything else the player can see. I doubt it'll be viable for general use, though.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

How busted would this be?

Value Hydra XG
Creature - Hydra
Spend only green mana on X
Value Hydra comes into play with X+1 +1/+1 counters on it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Froghammer posted:

Value Hydra XG
Creature - Hydra

Uh this is pretty much a worse mistcutter hydra so not busted at all.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Uh this is pretty much a worse mistcutter hydra so not busted at all.

Sorry, it's not worse because you can't put blue auras on your mistcutter

Checkmate

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Froghammer posted:

Value Hydra XG
Creature - Hydra

Not at all, because there's already multiple hydras that are much better than that. We do have a Card Design Thread if you're into speculation and design like that, though!

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
A creature that's on curve whenever you play it is not spectacular. Green Stompy always wants to be playing above the curve, and better yet with some sort of potential to grow. Miscutter Hydra only sees any play because it's haste/evasive.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Anybody here watching the open at detroit? I think I am a featured match next round, I might make a stairs reference

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Homo for Hitler posted:

Anybody here watching the open at detroit? I think I am a featured match next round, I might make a stairs reference

Play your lands facing your opponent so we know it's you

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Or, you know, tell us your name.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

What a Judas posted:

Or, you know, tell us your name.

My name is Peter Richards

See why that doesn't work

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Devor posted:

My name is Peter Richards

See why that doesn't work

I don't believe you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Just go on camera and say you're homo for hitler. I can think of literally nothing wrong with this plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Dispatched by Notion Thief aficionado Lauren Nolen. goondolences

• Locked thread