Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

I don't think that DW8 storytelling is that bad, but I would tell anyone who is unfamiliar with the Three Kingdoms to play 7 first as it has a lot more context and some surprisingly good moments.

Also make sure you watch the opening cinematic for the slow-motion closeup of Zhao Yun kicking Xu Huang's horse in the face. Actually, watch the whole thing.

Imagine how much better things would have been if Liu Shan and Bao Sanniang had died in that waterfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Bloodly posted:

The fuckery that was the DW4 Nanman Campaign couldn't and wouldn't happen as the game is today(I sound like I'm talking about an MMO...that's overly funny, really, given what happened with Online). It's a good thing...mostly.

Ahaha, holy poo poo if that wasn't an unbelievable slog. Do everything right and still win by the skin of your teeth with barely any time left. I don't even remember what you unlocked by beating Meng Huo all eight times but it must've been worth it, it must've surely :ohdear:

Selane
May 19, 2006

RentACop posted:

Ahaha, holy poo poo if that wasn't an unbelievable slog. Do everything right and still win by the skin of your teeth with barely any time left. I don't even remember what you unlocked by beating Meng Huo all eight times but it must've been worth it, it must've surely :ohdear:

You've spent an hour on this mission and survived the poison water and climate fatigue and all the other cheap bullshit. Now all you need to do is beat Meng Huo for the last time!

*steps into base, gets chain-trampled by elephants for twenty seconds*

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Selane posted:

You've spent an hour on this mission and survived the poison water and climate fatigue and all the other cheap bullshit. Now all you need to do is beat Meng Huo for the last time!

game owned so hard

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
So I just bought Dynasty Warriors 8 XL and it's downloading. I haven't played the original 8, and I'm confused by how this "standalone expansion" works. Am I only getting the new expansion content and I can't play through the old DW8 stuff?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Pretty much, yeah.

I think there's a chart a couple pages back that shows what you get access to.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

RentACop posted:

And by this time your allies are actually earning earning 300, 400 or more kills because that was what was required to survive-getting your morale under control(Usually via objectives) that they could do so and become somewhat self-sustaining. This in a game where you usually earned maybe 50-200 kills yourself and getting 1000 was such an effort that doing it effectively auto-won the map by setting the entire ally force into max-morale super-mode.

It's a bad time. But also oddly memorable. You always remember the bad times more than the good.

...I still miss bodyguards.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 19, 2014

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Nanman campaign was the best. I miss it being this harsh, unforgiving stage that is full of absolute bullshit

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises

kirbysuperstar posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

Huh. Kind of wish I had known that before buying it. Oh well.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Selane posted:

I remember that awful feeling when I whiffed the arrow shot to dismount him and that first person view of the elephant just getting bigger and bigger

Bloodly posted:

And by this time your allies are actually earning earning 300, 400 or more kills because that was what was required to survive-getting your morale under control(Usually via objectives) that they could do so and become somewhat self-sustaining. This in a game where you usually earned maybe 50-200 kills yourself and getting 1000 was such an effort that doing it effectively auto-won the map by setting the entire ally force into max-morale super-mode.

It's a bad time. But also oddly memorable. You always remember the bad times more than the good.

Definitely. I think the series has largely improved gameplay wise as time has gone on but I do also miss how the older levels were generally larger, longer and less tightly scripted than the new games, helps with it feeling like a 'real' battle more. Orochi games are still good for that though

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

... Wouldn't you have been tossed into a duel each time he showed up the first time though? I remember that every time you saw a general the first time you were given a 60 second (or something) duel to take him down for double weapon xp.

... why do I remember this?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Selane posted:

Also make sure you watch the opening cinematic for the slow-motion closeup of Zhao Yun kicking Xu Huang's horse in the face. Actually, watch the whole thing.
Replace all game intro cinematics forever with that horse.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Calax posted:

... Wouldn't you have been tossed into a duel each time he showed up the first time though? I remember that every time you saw a general the first time you were given a 60 second (or something) duel to take him down for double weapon xp.

... why do I remember this?

Dueling was a mess.

You leveled up and people in general would more and more often challenge you to a duel. You win, you kill the guy, get a morale up. You lose, you die. You refuse, take a morale loss. You time out, what happened was based on your rank/level. Lower ranks get a morale increase, mid-range get nothing, high ranks lost morale. And duels were deadly thanks to the counter system that everyone had(Attack while blocking. Someone hits you during the animation, invincible extra-strength counter) and grab specials. If people were super-powered, that carried over.

Oh yes, and in-battle saves weren't as useful as today.

Then you remember that even little troops were blocking and doing charges and were tougher in general....the game's changed a lot.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 19, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AzureRequiem posted:

Huh. Kind of wish I had known that before buying it. Oh well.

Then you should have asked here or put forth even a little bit of effort in figuring out what you were buying :thumbsup:
Now buy DW8 and enjoy a great game

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how does online work in dw8? Is it a separate set of missions for online or is it like co-op where 2p joins in on your mission?

Can I progress in the story and farm up harder content with online?

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Fauxtool posted:

how does online work in dw8? Is it a separate set of missions for online or is it like co-op where 2p joins in on your mission?

Can I progress in the story and farm up harder content with online?

It's co-op. You can play any of the levels, in story or free mode. You just pick Online, set everything up like usual, then wait forever for someone to join...then just switch back to Offline. They really need to add drop-in, drop-out online play or use the 7E system of ghost data. There's no edit mode in DW8 or 8XL, but it'd be cool if your leveled up officers could populate a friend's game and vice versa.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Games › Dynasty/Samurai/Anime Warriors: They really need to...

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
I just finished ambition mode and I got a weapon with the skill battleaxe. Once you kill 50 people attack doubles. Does that stay on permanently? Or is it on the 30 second timer where I have to keep killing dudes to keep it up?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

These things are never permanent. It's just 'you get the effect of the ATKx2 powerup after 50 kills'.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I've been out of the Warriors series for the longest time, I think the last I actually played was the original Samurai Warriors which I loved, but since Samurai Warriors seems to be largely relegated to only Japan for now, I'm trying to decide between picking up DW8 or Warriors Orochi 3. So.. anything to really sell me one way or the other? :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Warriors 4 is coming out in the West some time this year, I don't think they've given a date yet though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Oh? Well that's pretty great to hear! Hopefully they don't drag it out too long though, I'd love to give one of those a whirl again.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Yardbomb posted:

Oh? Well that's pretty great to hear! Hopefully they don't drag it out too long though, I'd love to give one of those a whirl again.

If you have a 3DS and want to get a preview, Samurai Warriors Chronicles is the best version of SW3 and also is more similar to how SW4 is going to play. Failing that, I'd suggest buying DW7 or 8 before Orochi 3, since the Orochi series is far easier to get into if you actually have some idea of the characters beforehand.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/19/handy-chart-everything-thats-dynasty-warriors-8-xtreme-legends/ vv Here it is.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 19, 2014

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

kirbysuperstar posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

Someone mind posting this? Can't find it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

UberJumper posted:

Thanks those tips were super helpful. Is it just me or does the story have a bunch of gaps? Like one minute its "we need to save the emperor" the next minute we are escaping with him. Etc.

The story IS gappy. I think most folks that are die-hard veterans of the series are reconciled to them butchering the original tale pretty badly. If you are genuinely interested in the story at all, I recommend hitting youtube for subtitled episodes of 'Three Kingdoms 2010.'

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

5er posted:

If you are genuinely interested in the story at all, I recommend hitting youtube for subtitled episodes of 'Three Kingdoms 2010.'

This show is all kinds of great and I'd recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Always impressed by how they managed to get unobtrusive and useful touch controls right in SW Chronicles then hosed it up completely for DW Next.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
So the 3DS SW game is actually good? It kind of fell off my radar.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

RichterIX posted:

SW Chronicles is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's pretty good, so much so that they're using one of its main mechanics for SW 4. Basically you control two different characters who can individually be sent off to do their own thing and you swap between them using the touch pad, which means there's a lot less of the 'there's an event happening on the other side of the map, good luck getting there in time if you didn't already know it was going to happen' thing that the earlier games had.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RichterIX posted:

I'm wondering this too. The only SW game I played was the first one, and I hated the constantly recycling inner castle areas and felt that the customization system was entirely pointless (IIRC, it was the first Warriors game to feature elemental affinities and such?).

So if I wanted to play a new SW right now, should I get 2 for 360 or the one for 3DS? I could do with a handheld version, but the focus on player created characters in these games always bothered me, so I don't know.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

This show is all kinds of great and I'd recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest.
You left out Cao Cao trollfacing Yuan Shao!

Seriously though, absolutely watch the show; for all its own liberties with the story it's still more faithful to the novel than DW7 was, much less 8, and although its scope is much more traditional -- I don't recall Nanzhong even being mentioned, while the penultimate episode is "Zhuge Liang's death" and the final episode is "Sima Yi's Death", and Wu is brushed off to the side after Yiling -- it's also more even-handed than both the traditional lore and DW (for which 7 and 8 buried Shu hard) in treating all the three relatively even-handedly. In particular Wu gets a lot of screentime, way moreso visibility than in popular lore, and personally I find its treatment of the family dynamic of the Sun clan a lot less "animu tropes" than DW's. (Oh, and its Lu Su is a walking, talking, gigantic gently caress YOU to the traditional depiction.)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Picked up DW8 along with a few other games the other day. This is the first Dynasty Warriors game I've actually owned.

gently caress Lu Bu.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm wondering this too. The only SW game I played was the first one, and I hated the constantly recycling inner castle areas and felt that the customization system was entirely pointless (IIRC, it was the first Warriors game to feature elemental affinities and such?).

So if I wanted to play a new SW right now, should I get 2 for 360 or the one for 3DS? I could do with a handheld version, but the focus on player created characters in these games always bothered me, so I don't know.

Guess you might want to skip Chronicles then, since it makes you play through the story missions with your original character first time through, though it's them plus up to three historical characters per mission. 2 is a decent game but the 360 version suffers from basically being a PS2 game with better textures, like all early last-gen Warriors games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Someone mind posting this? Can't find it.

Policenaut posted:

Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition content chart and PS4 version trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5LcWIB1y3I

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Guess you might want to skip Chronicles then, since it makes you play through the story missions with your original character first time through, though it's them plus up to three historical characters per mission. 2 is a decent game but the 360 version suffers from basically being a PS2 game with better textures, like all early last-gen Warriors games.

Well, I ain't buying a Warriors game for the graphics, so that's not a problem. Just wondering if 2 holds up at all. What about the expansions?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's the best version of DW7 to pick up, Empires?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, I ain't buying a Warriors game for the graphics, so that's not a problem. Just wondering if 2 holds up at all. What about the expansions?

It's still a good game. As for expansions, I haven't played SW 2 Empires much but a lot of people say it's thier favourite version of the Empires spin-off's and Extreme Legends just adds the usual extra characters, weapons etc, though the 360 version is DLC only and has never had its price revised so it's actually way more expensive than you can get the base game for now.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Yardbomb posted:

What's the best version of DW7 to pick up, Empires?

Depends on what you want. If you want a real story get the base DW7 game, and if you want to keep playing with your characters on new maps and such get the XL expansion afterwards. If you just want to goof around and conquer with your own empire (but no story) get Empires. It is hard to say which is "best" because the games have a totally different focus.

edit: the DW7 telling of the story is probably my favorite of the whole series, so I would highly suggest playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
So I decided to go ahead and pick up DW8 alongside XL. Is there anything I should know besides punch mans?