Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If I was a richass mofo I'd be trying my hand at a manuka honey mead. That poo poo is 30+$ a pound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

ShadowCatboy posted:

If I was a richass mofo I'd be trying my hand at a manuka honey mead. That poo poo is 30+$ a pound.

Another rare one to try that's supposed ot be really good is Meadowfoam honey. It's a weed that they use to replenish nutrients in the soil grass seed growers, so a new crop large enough for varietal honey is only planted once every 5 years or so. (it's still not 30$ a pound but its supposed to be like root beer flavored). Tupelo is another rare one.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
Meadowfoam honey is awesome. It tastes like marshmallows.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Anyone have a link to that HBT thread with the freezer volume analysis?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I have some Mead related questions, when making a mead what is the best type to get, the clear filtered stuff, the cloudy or the thick?
Like if I was going to make a mead with just honey I'd want the best type but I don't know what the best type is? And if making a fruit mead its a waste to use the best honey so go with something lower? I've ordered a book on mead but I just don't know about the basic mead honey stuff. :negative:

Also Marshmallow Blue is it cool to share your Blackberry mead recipe? :sun: (been hunting through your posts for it incase you already posted it but couldn't find it).

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Anyone have a link to that HBT thread with the freezer volume analysis?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/chest-freezer-specs-layouts-377518/ :)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 16, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

We need a variation of :spergin: for brewing.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Fluo posted:

I have some Mead related questions, when making a mead what is the best type to get, the clear filtered stuff, the cloudy or the thick?
Like if I was going to make a mead with just honey I'd want the best type but I don't know what the best type is? And if making a fruit mead its a waste to use the best honey so go with something lower? I've ordered a book on mead but I just don't know about the basic mead honey stuff. :negative:

Mead focusing on the honey should use the best quality, least processed honey. If you're going to bomb it with strong flavored fruit then generic honey is fine.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Thanks.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Mead focusing on the honey should use the best quality, least processed honey. If you're going to bomb it with strong flavored fruit then generic honey is fine.
Ok awesome, I'll most likely find out when I get my Mead book but 3.17kg / 7lb for 5 gallons, or is it alot more / alot less? 6.34kg / 14lb?

No problem mate! :D

Fluo fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 17, 2014

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Brew Update: Amber and Wheat beer made Tuse/Sat last week, respectively. Really nice to overfill the pipeline - had to buy more buckets (always a good sign). Wheat wine was still gassing off after two weeks+, it's likely done but thought it interesting how it was still burping a bit.

Also started the Skeeter Pee for the chef at work on Monday, pitched a white wine strain (~1/2 sachet) and a local hybrid yeast of 3711/3724 into it. Hope it comes out well, and we'll repitch on top of the yeast cake if so. Pretty excited to see how this comes out. It's so drat cheap and easy that it may be nice as a standard drinker in the summer.

As for questions: I've promised to make the wheat beer a vanilla lavender wheat. 1) is four vanilla beans enough/too many for a 5 gallon batch? Lavender; when I added lavender to my mead did a dry hop and it worked well enough, - but for this I was thinking of making a tincture and sizing it up maybe? Didn't know if another process would work better. Thoughts?

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

My fiancé and I bought a "Summertime Fruit Ale" kit from a local shop. I am very newbish, this is my only second brew ever. The first was a wheat, turned out ok, fiancé loved it. I post that as "ahhhh flooded by info!" Side notes. We want to do a fruit ale in time for out wedding in July. This way, if it needs more than 4 weeks time I can let it do its thing or if it's fast I have time to redo another if it sucked.
We don't really know on fruit but had the ideas of raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries.

Anyone have a suggestion for how much fruit for a 5g batch? How long do I let it sit w the fruit? Need a secondary? Or aka....anyone have a better recipe or suggestions for fruit beer?

I ask as the recipe doesn't jive w homebrew forum or other google stuff for time lines it seems. Here is the recipe that came w the kit. The yeast is white labs WLP008.

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 17, 2014

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice
What up Madison buddy :respek:

The recipe looks pretty standard, and this should probably be on the quicker end of things. As for the amount of fruit, something like 1-1.5 lbs/gallon should be good. Of the fruits you suggest, I think any of them would work pretty well. If you go with raspberries, you might go a bit more towards 1 lb/gallon and if you go with blueberries, you might go more towards 1.5 lbs/gallon, just because of the strength of flavors. I'm not sure what fruits are in season, though, but whatever those are might be your best bet.

For adding the fruit, you'll want to do that in a secondary fermenter (or after about a week in primary). Freezing the fruit will help break cell walls and make it easier to get the flavors and such out.

One thing I like to do is brew a full five gallon batch and then split it so you have 2.5 gallons of the normal recipe and 2.5 gallons to play with.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Fluo posted:

Ok awesome, I'll most likely find out when I get my Mead book but 3.17kg / 7lb for 5 gallons, or is it alot more / alot less? 6.34kg / 14lb?

No problem mate! :D

I usually go 2-2.5 lbs per gallon for full meads and 1.5-2 for lighter ones.

Blackberry Crush mead
Cyser Style Melomel
Mead using a blackberry juice blend.
Ingredients
Units for 1 gallon:
1.5 pounds Orange Blossom Honey
Blackberry Crush Juice to 1 gallon volume
Yeast : Red Star Cotes de Blancs
Starting Gravity: 1.095
Secondary: Med Toast Oak (French)

log: http://hivemindmead.blogspot.com/2013/11/blackberry-crush-mead.html

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Cpt.Wacky posted:

How much strawberries? Because I don't already have enough cider, drat it.

About a half pound? It could use a little more, to be honest, and as it is it's very subtle but tasty.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Harminoff posted:

So what are the chances that I kill my friends with oxyclean if I let my botttles soak in it overnight, rinsed them out with a swish, and then let the bottles sit in starsan for 20 minutes before bottling?

Also figured out that some craft breweries used some weird bottles that you can't recap.

These double lipped ones

Use Oxiclean free, rinse it out well and stop soaking them in starsan for so long. It only needs a few seconds of contact.

Kelley Geuscaulk
Jun 5, 2009

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Use Oxiclean free, rinse it out well and stop soaking them in starsan for so long. It only needs a few seconds of contact.

180 seconds to be exact. Well, from what the tech sheet suggests for soaking "brew tanks".

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Thanks for the info. I had them in the starsan before moving the beer to the bottling bucket and then just grabbed one out at a time and filled them.

The oxyclean I used was oxyclean versatile. as it's all I could find locally.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Find Oxy Free or pony up for PBW. The non "Free" Oxy has nasty other stuff in it that is not food safe.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zaepho posted:

The non "Free" Oxy has nasty other stuff in it that is not food safe.

It isn't dangerous or anything; it just involves tastes or smells that you might not want in your beer.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Harminoff posted:

Thanks for the info. I had them in the starsan before moving the beer to the bottling bucket and then just grabbed one out at a time and filled them.

Check Walmart, that's the only place I can find it. Don't use versatile.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

ieatsoap6 posted:

What up Madison buddy :respek:

The recipe looks pretty standard, and this should probably be on the quicker end of things. As for the amount of fruit, something like 1-1.5 lbs/gallon should be good. Of the fruits you suggest, I think any of them would work pretty well. If you go with raspberries, you might go a bit more towards 1 lb/gallon and if you go with blueberries, you might go more towards 1.5 lbs/gallon, just because of the strength of flavors. I'm not sure what fruits are in season, though, but whatever those are might be your best bet.

For adding the fruit, you'll want to do that in a secondary fermenter (or after about a week in primary). Freezing the fruit will help break cell walls and make it easier to get the flavors and such out.

One thing I like to do is brew a full five gallon batch and then split it so you have 2.5 gallons of the normal recipe and 2.5 gallons to play with.

Madcity, sup. thanks. Any suggestions for how long to ferment in the secondary w the fruit?
Also I like the split batch idea.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Duxwig posted:

Madcity, sup. thanks. Any suggestions for how long to ferment in the secondary w the fruit?
Also I like the split batch idea.

The sugars in the fruit will start a mini-ferment, so I'd say at least a week.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So my mead is heading into its sixth week in primary fermentation, which is kinda crazy to me since I didn't think it'd go for more than a month. I give the bottom of the carboy a few firm taps every day, and sure enough big ol' bubbles float up to the surface indicating that some fermentation is going on.

How long can this go on? How long before the lees starts imparting weird flavors to my mead due to autolysis? :confused:

P.S. The days are getting to be about mid-to-high 60s and the occasional low 70s in Fahrenheit.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
That's just CO2 coming out of solution, it doesn't mean there's any fermentation there. Take a gravity reading, I'm sure fermentation is done after six weeks.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

How long can this go on? How long before the lees starts imparting weird flavors to my mead due to autolysis? :confused:

I wouldn't even start to worry until 6 months, although racking after 2 months or so will help it clear up faster.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I noticed a lot of people here wash bottles in their dishwasher. Today I'm doing the same - I put about 40 bottles in my dishwasher with a half scoop of Oxiclean Free, but I can't control whether the dishwasher dispenses the blue rinse aid stuff. Will the rinse aid have any effect on the bottle or the beer? Will a couple good blats of star san from a vinator handle any residue the rinse aid might leave behind?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Wow posted:

That's just CO2 coming out of solution, it doesn't mean there's any fermentation there. Take a gravity reading, I'm sure fermentation is done after six weeks.

I don't think so... it's pretty obvious that the bubbles are coming up from the lees.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

ShadowCatboy posted:

I don't think so... it's pretty obvious that the bubbles are coming up from the lees.

ShadowCatboy posted:

I give the bottom of the carboy a few firm taps every day

:iiam:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
This year one of our local brewpubs is doing a "Coffee and/or Caramel" themed competition for fall. I'm assuming most of the entries are going to be porters/stouts, and I've tried experimenting with caramel extract without really getting what I want out of it. So I'm thinking I'll go a little off the wall and try something like this:

code:
WHITE STOUT CARAMEL LATTE

79% Maris Otter
7% Oats
7% Flaked Barley
7% Light Crystal
?% Lactose

30 IBU Willamette/Goldings

Caramel extract and whole superblonde coffee beans in secondary
Figure it should be a sensory freakout when you're drinking a coffee milk stout that looks like a pale ale. I might try some other methods for getting the caramel taste other than using extract, I'm just not sure that subtlety (like kettle caramelization) is the way to go in a contest like this.

e: What do you guys think of this nonsense?

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 18, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

This year one of our local brewpubs is doing a "Coffee and/or Caramel" themed competition for fall. I'm assuming most of the entries are going to be porters/stouts, and I've tried experimenting with caramel extract without really getting what I want out of it. So I'm thinking I'll go a little off the wall and try something like this:

code:
WHITE STOUT CARAMEL LATTE

79% Maris Otter
7% Oats
7% Flaked Barley
7% Light Crystal
?% Lactose

30 IBU Willamette/Goldings

Caramel extract and whole superblonde coffee beans in secondary
Figure it should be a sensory freakout when you're drinking a coffee milk stout that looks like a pale ale. I might try some other methods for getting the caramel taste other than using extract, I'm just not sure that subtlety (like kettle caramelization) is the way to go in a contest like this.

How much caramel extract you using for 5gallons?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

fullroundaction posted:

I don't know anything about caramel extract, but I know that despite being told what they were getting, my uncle was taken aback by Cascade's Pale Coffee Stout

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

I noticed a lot of people here wash bottles in their dishwasher

No...many people sanitize in their dishwasher. Cleaning and sanitizing are very different, you cannot sanitize something that is not clean. A dishwasher is not going to get water up in your bottles very easily or consistently. If your dishwasher has a sanitized dry cycle, it is probably acting as more of an autoclave then a dishwasher and pumps in steam long enough to reach sanitary levels, then pumps dry heat to evaporate everything. This is fine for bottles since the steam will get inside and the bottles will reach an appropriate temperature. Also, rinse aid will likely have a negative impact on your beers since I assume it's designed to break down proteins, which are essential to head formation. Try pouring a bottle of commercial into a glass kind of poorly to ensure a large head and watch how fast it collapses as an experiment.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

I wonder if some cooked down honey like you'd do for a bochet mead would contribute something unique? It might take a few trials to see what flavors come from cooking it down to various degrees and how much you'd need to add for it to come through fermentation.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Yeah I know I'm not going to nail this on the first try, so I plan on doing a few 1 gallon tests.

Fluo posted:

How much caramel extract you using for 5gallons?

So far I've found that .5-.6ml per 12oz glass is enough to make it noticeable but not push it to the point of tasting fake*.

* I've tested it in already-made homebrew, a brown, stout, tripel, and pale ale. The tripel was probably my favorite actually.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 18, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

Yeah I know I'm not going to nail this on the first try, so I plan on doing a few 1 gallon tests.

So far I've found that .5-.6ml per 12oz glass is enough to make it noticeable but not push it to the point of tasting fake*.

* I've tested it in already-made homebrew, a brown, stout, tripel, and pale ale. The tripel was probably my favorite actually.

Awesome! :D

By the way Jo3sh got around to doing my new bulk order so got the ingredients to make your Best Bitter :toot:, hope you don't mind that I changed the cascade with Fuggles and EastKentGold, as I gotta test these with "British best bitter bitter drinking best bitter" type people.

Gonna do that and also a Rye Saison and ferment 5 gallons with Brett Bruxellensis Trois and the other 5 gallons with Whitelab American Farmhouse Blend!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Fluo posted:

hope you don't mind that I changed the cascade with Fuggles and EastKentGold, as I gotta test these with "British best bitter bitter drinking best bitter" type people.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest - it's homebrew, so brew what works for you.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Daedalus Esquire posted:

No...many people sanitize in their dishwasher. Cleaning and sanitizing are very different, you cannot sanitize something that is not clean. A dishwasher is not going to get water up in your bottles very easily or consistently.
I should have clarified, I just want to rinse and sanitize bottles that are already clean but may have picked up a bit of dust from sitting around. Since I can't control the rinse aid dispenser I will just skip the dishwasher and do things the way I have been.

In other news I bottled a dry stout today that was so god drat tasty I pulled a pint from the bucket and just drank it while I was bottling. Glad to have good success with my 2nd generation WY 1084.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm brewing up a session IPA today and I'm planning to do a gradual hop dosing every 5 minutes throughout the boil with a blend of galaxy and citra hops and do a drop hop in the secondary as well. I'm planning on using 3oz in the boil and an oz in the secondary. I have two 1 oz nitrogen sealed packages of each, my question is that if I open them all to blend them and save an oz of it in a ziploc bag are they going to lose their potency for the week in a bag in the fridge? Would I be better off blending three of the packages and saving one of the sealed bags for the dry hop instead?

I also picked up an copper tube wort chiller a little while back that I'm finally excited to try out.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

rockcity posted:

I'm brewing up a session IPA today and I'm planning to do a gradual hop dosing every 5 minutes throughout the boil with a blend of galaxy and citra hops and do a drop hop in the secondary as well. I'm planning on using 3oz in the boil and an oz in the secondary. I have two 1 oz nitrogen sealed packages of each, my question is that if I open them all to blend them and save an oz of it in a ziploc bag are they going to lose their potency for the week in a bag in the fridge? Would I be better off blending three of the packages and saving one of the sealed bags for the dry hop instead?

I also picked up an copper tube wort chiller a little while back that I'm finally excited to try out.

I usually store opened hops long term (i.e., more than a day) in the freezer instead of the fridge. I have no basis for this being better or worse, but to me it seems like a way to minimize any aging. That said, I doubt much would happen over a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ieatsoap6 posted:

I usually store opened hops long term (i.e., more than a day) in the freezer instead of the fridge. I have no basis for this being better or worse, but to me it seems like a way to minimize any aging. That said, I doubt much would happen over a week.

Yeah, I just mixed them all up and re-bagged an ounce. I pushed as much air as I could out of it and threw it back in the fridge.

The bad thing I learned during my brewing is that my new stove can barely get my kettle to boil when it's at volume. Guess that finalizes my decision to finally buy an outdoor burner.