Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nihnoz posted:

Well it DOES live up to 13th age's design goals, which are a series of level appropriate encounters and some treasure so you can feel like you did something important where you play pretend between the fights.

So it's an RPG then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Design Goals:
  • A series of brief distractions on the way to the cold embrace of the grave
  • Momentarily silence the endless chattering of self-examination
  • Realistic vehicle combat

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Nihnoz posted:

Well it DOES live up to 13th age's design goals, which are a series of level appropriate encounters and some treasure so you can feel like you did something important where you play pretend between the fights.

Designing a game to be a fun rollercoaster ends up entertaining, rail like. DnDNext designers cry foul, saying designing towards goals is counter to the spirit of Gary

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

fatherdog posted:

Design Goals:

Dec 26, 2012

fatherdog posted:

Design Goals:

lol

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

don't forget
-grappling simulator

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there any game that has reasonable grappling rules? and not just due to lack of support I mean, is there a game where "I want to grab and wrestle with him" is a different choice from "I attack him" and the whole table doesn't just groan when you say it.

Fate maybe? is it just a "block" action and/or an aspect in that system??? a million question marks trailing off forever??

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My kickstarter for a grappling specific game firemages and floormats has ok grappling rules. You can rollplay a dragon born trained in Brazilian jujitsu. WITH NO ABILITY SCORES.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I am wise and brave and strong and in a headlock

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Deadlands Discussion

Mystic Mongol posted:

More Deadlands Discussion
drat it I miss everything cool when I put off reading this thread. Have either of you seen DL: Noir yet? There's lots of wonderful unintentional humor from having Kickstarter backers be the faces for all the NPCs.

Oh well, at least I have a new PbP Deadlands game to read -

quote:

Deadlands: The Towering Flame

Number of Pages Since Last Awkward Discussion of Race: 1 0
:geno:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Ralp posted:

is there any game that has reasonable grappling rules? and not just due to lack of support I mean, is there a game where "I want to grab and wrestle with him" is a different choice from "I attack him" and the whole table doesn't just groan when you say it.

Fate maybe? is it just a "block" action and/or an aspect in that system??? a million question marks trailing off forever??

Grappling in squad-scale combat in an initiative-turn system results in the same awkwardness as hand-to-hand combat creates in an army-scale combat where you end up arbitrating rules w/r/t shooting, retreats, and charges in the midst of the separate hell-dimension of close quarters assaults.

Wargames were firstly inspired by teaching tools used with regard for naval combat, resulting in progeny of my-turn-your-turn broadsides that break when presented concepts unique to dry land.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

LSTB posted:

It's easier to define when "Acrobatics" can't be used and "Arcana" can, than it is to define where "Bird" doesn't apply and "Batman" does.

It is easy to make systems where skill rolls have equal mechanical effect, and are not judged by the flavor of their text. Fixed-list-of-abilities is a valid design choice, but it's not a necessary one.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Doc Hawkins posted:

??? it affects rolls, which happen when two or more interesting alternatives are being considered, which affects ~the shared imagination space~

Even I think systems like this can have a problem where it's more interesting for multiple abilities to be used, but players have no reason not to use the biggest +n 100% of the time. In my lovely Icelandic Saga Wushu thing, I made every "stat" a pool you had to permanently spend to use, because it fit what I was going for. Plenty of games have multiple kinds of "health" (usually mental, social, and physical), in which you usually can only uses defenses of the same type as the attack (your character punches the guy insulting them, but but it doesn't make them feel any better), but that seems like it might only delay the problem a bit? Polaris had an exhaust-refresh pattern which I think could be really promising.

Oh, right, 4e had Dailies and some people houseruled them to be once per real-life-day, that sounds cool in theory.

the bonus is meaningless. insofar as success versus failure is important there's no reason no to just put +5 in your favorite trait and use that for everything, but to add insult to injury success versus failure is not itself important because a roll ends up determining the emotional character of some flavor text but not the actual accomplishment or loss of any concrete goal. what's the difference between bird +5 and bird +4? nothing.

i actually really like skills as individual mana pools/health bars - it's the same solution i've come up with (but not actually bothered to implement since i haven't been working on houseruling d&dlikes) for "why wouldn't i just use my +5 constantly" - because athletics 3 lore 1 means you can use athletics thrice and lore once, rather than that your athletics is forever better than your lore

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
4e has good grappling rules, although the numbers of "untrained" grapples are wonky

my group's wod/mage houserules also have good grappling rules, in the sense that they have none at all, and you're just free to describe yourself wrestling rather than punching if you deal some damage with a brawl attack or w/e

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

the bonus is meaningless. insofar as success versus failure is important there's no reason no to just put +5 in your favorite trait and use that for everything, but to add insult to injury success versus failure is not itself important because a roll ends up determining the emotional character of some flavor text but not the actual accomplishment or loss of any concrete goal. what's the difference between bird +5 and bird +4? nothing.

i actually really like skills as individual mana pools/health bars - it's the same solution i've come up with (but not actually bothered to implement since i haven't been working on houseruling d&dlikes) for "why wouldn't i just use my +5 constantly" - because athletics 3 lore 1 means you can use athletics thrice and lore once, rather than that your athletics is forever better than your lore

one thing i like about chuubo's btw is an effort to clearly define the differences between skill ratings and give examples of a skill at various levels, like the difference between long necked person 1 and long necked person 2

i still think it's a mistake that dr. moran is going with "miracle level equals your stat, highest miracle level wins" w/r/t magic powers though

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

what like "here are your X d12s for former bird, X d10s for batman, X d8s for the lucky hat" etc, and then refill the pools during the downtime?

cuz that reminds me of fiasco

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

something like that. i don't know if i would even give the skills different "base" or "at will" values... it's more like each skill would have at-will, per encounter, and per-day uses, and the more invested you are in the skill the more encounter/per-day uses you have available

this is hopping off an idea i had for making 3e-style multiclassing relevant in d&d. if you're a fighter 3/wizard 1, you effectively have a 3/3 Fighter pool and a 1/1 Wizard pool. doing dramatic stuff within a class costs 1 point, and you maybe regain 1 spent point after every encounter but all your points after a long rest

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

all grappling rules designed before affliction shirts are uniformly poo poo tho

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Any news on NEXT? They've been quiet recently.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Design Goals:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i debuted some rules for the duel arcane in last night's mage game based loosely on pokemon battles, time to write 'em up all formal like

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I have come to the conclusion that, unless you are playing a storygame were players can declare poo poo that exists, there is no point to select your skills at character creation. Someone picks "climbing" because he expects that there are things to climb, and then he adventures in the Endlessly Flat Plains of Aathor. Or someone builds the most suave motherfucker and is thrown into the Tomb of Ugdar The Sort Tempered Who Is Also An Actual Bear.

Skills, along with all other situational poo poo (damage vs. flumphs, affinity to avocados, etc) should be packaged with whatever constitutes an "adventure" for that system, and players can pick and choose what they like when they start it. That way you know what whatever is written on your character sheet will eventually be relevant, and you won't have to jump through hoops to convince the DM that Profession(wheelwright) can basically be used in any situation.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rexides posted:

I have come to the conclusion that, unless you are playing a storygame were players can declare poo poo that exists, there is no point to select your skills at character creation. Someone picks "climbing" because he expects that there are things to climb, and then he adventures in the Endlessly Flat Plains of Aathor. Or someone builds the most suave motherfucker and is thrown into the Tomb of Ugdar The Sort Tempered Who Is Also An Actual Bear.

Skills, along with all other situational poo poo (damage vs. flumphs, affinity to avocados, etc) should be packaged with whatever constitutes an "adventure" for that system, and players can pick and choose what they like when they start it. That way you know what whatever is written on your character sheet will eventually be relevant, and you won't have to jump through hoops to convince the DM that Profession(wheelwright) can basically be used in any situation.

Personally, I've always seen skill choices (whether write-ins or list form) as a way for the player to tell the GM what kind of adventure they want to experience. Then I try to adjust the adventure to match their expectations since, through proxy, I now know what kind of games they like.

Then again, I'm the type who only makes very light plans because I'm lazy (they're more like outlines) and is quick to just make encounters on the spot (because I forget to prebuild them) so it fits with my (lazy) style. For those who plan more, I guess that doesn't work as well.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Wow, "sperg" and "den" as pejoratives. I thought this thread was above that grognards.txt bullshit.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
there's two kinds of gms in this world: lazy people, and fascists

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Attorney at Funk posted:

there's two kinds of gms in this world: lazy people, and fascists

That's true. It's never a good thing when the GM actually cares about the fluff on your sheet, if you wrote down "has a pretty girlfriend" expect to get her fridged.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

LSTB posted:

That's true. It's never a good thing when the GM actually cares about the fluff on your sheet, if you wrote down "has a pretty girlfriend" expect to get her fridged.

my favorite thing to do when I'm playing a game is to leave some aspect of my character totally blank and make the gm make something up for it

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I'm a magic robot who killed my creator. who created me? good loving question. maybe it was almighty god. maybe it was urza planeswalker. maybe nobody will ever know. the important thing is it's not my loving problem anymore, mate

Covok
May 27, 2013

LSTB posted:

I know you're not talking about me, but just a concept and style I brought up. That said, I do want to say I probably wouldn't just have some npc important to someone's character randomly killed off to fill "dead air." Instead...

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm a magic robot who killed my creator. who created me? good loving question. maybe it was almighty god. maybe it was urza planeswalker. maybe nobody will ever know. the important thing is it's not my loving problem anymore, mate
...I'd probably do something more like this. I was once in a game where two people had shadowy organization after them in their backstory with no explanation given as to why or what the organization was about. So, I had it come up every session or so to make the characters feel like they were tied into the world. It also saved my rear end when I was too busy with school work to even prepare an outline while still making the session interesting.

I know you guys probably don't care, but I just felt like explaining that.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Covok posted:

I know you're not talking about me, but just a concept and style I brought up. That said, I do want to say I probably wouldn't just have some npc important to someone's character randomly killed off to fill "dead air." Instead...

...I'd probably do something more like this. I was once in a game where two people had shadowy organization after them in their backstory with no explanation given as to why or what the organization was about. So, I had it come up every session or so to make the characters feel like they were tied into the world. It also saved my rear end when I was too busy with school work to even prepare an outline while still making the session interesting.

I know you guys probably don't care, but I just felt like explaining that.

I don't mean any one style, either. I mean, that's actually directly what stuff like Apocalypse World tells you to do, get people to name poo poo that's important to them, then wreck it.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

LSTB posted:

I don't mean any one style, either. I mean, that's actually directly what stuff like Apocalypse World tells you to do, get people to name poo poo that's important to them, then wreck it.

You wreck it so they can protect it.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
That's the thing that makes ars magica so compelling to me, you don't have to go on a goddamn adventure for the sake of it, you're doing it to avenge a slight or get some kind of advantage. Wrecking poo poo that belongs to the players is cool as hell.

Dec 26, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

my favorite thing to do when I'm playing a game is to leave some aspect of my character totally blank and make the gm make something up for it

Attorney at Funk posted:

fuckin love it when players do this kinda thing, i always have fun with it

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Rexides posted:

I have kind of a problem with skill systems in general because of this. Skills, especially in systems with one-roll resolution, and especially-especially in systems with binary resolution, and even worse in systems where the difference between trained and untrained characters are too large, really easily strip the choices the players get to make away from play and connect it to character creation instead. I think this can kind of work in a system where what you choose in character creation is more about telling the GM what kind of game you want and less about what you want to contribute to the team, but even for that I think there must be better systems than skills.

That said, I don't really mind the idea that some of my abilities might only be relevant in some sessions, but I think that's largely because I prefer big campaigns where each player has a few different characters, so that just makes intel-gathering so you know who to bring into a part of the game.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ferrinus posted:

what's the difference between bird +5 and bird +4? nothing.

That does seem like a significant problem, but one orthogonal to closed-or-open skill selection!

Just remembered, Skills in The Mountain Witch are interesting: they're just things which you can always roll to attempt, instead of the GM being able to say "that's not something a average ronin would be able to productively attempt." (actual success and failure are dependent on player cooperation/betrayal, because that's the point of the game)

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

I think if you're gonna make a skill-less 4e, you should give everyone a seperate suite of powers for non-combat. Like the bard could have "Smooth Talk" and "Impromptu Performance", each would be a reasonable challenge to use against a creature of his tier's Will save. Give people powers that relate to their stats, so you don't have people who can't do poo poo because their class doesn't use Charisma. If you have Constitution, you can "Carouse", which is an important social skill and one that Conan is going to be good at.

I mean, that's just what I'd do for something trying to be D&Dlike. Write-in skills are cool for something like Fate Accelerated Edition, which I'd run in that case to save me the trouble of long combats.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

That does seem like a significant problem, but one orthogonal to closed-or-open skill selection!

Just remembered, Skills in The Mountain Witch are interesting: they're just things which you can always roll to attempt, instead of the GM being able to say "that's not something a average ronin would be able to productively attempt." (actual success and failure are dependent on player cooperation/betrayal, because that's the point of the game)

i wasn't complaining about the open-ended naming, i was complaining about the associated mechanics. now that you mention it, though, if they hadn't been so smitten with open-ended skill selection maybe they would've felt compelled to get off their asses and actually write rules for what a successful persuasion or lore roll or whatever actually goddamn does

in nobilis, the difference between having Domain (Birds) 3 and Domain (Batman) 3 is eminently clear, as is the difference between having Domain (Birds) 3 and Domain (Birds) 4. there are cases in which the two traits are interchangeable, but they're logical cases in which you'd expect them to be. 13A just fails entirely at everything i've listed here

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

I really wanna play a diceless game. I bought the one RPGpundit wrote, its actually kinda cool.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Ratpick posted:

That's the first anything I've seen from Project Eternity and those Reputations on the sheet look like a pretty sweet idea and I want to put something like that in my elfgames.

Project Eternity/Pillars of Eternity threatened to be a real letdown mechanically during the Kickstarter because pretty much every revealed class and feature was presented as being Like That One Thing From 3e You Remember, right down to that one class that's literally a psion

and then everything they've shown since the KS ended is all "yeah so combat and classes are basically 4e, because it's a great fuckin system for tactical combat in a CRPG"

if playing up the game's 3e influence during the Kickstarter let them take more money from grognards and then turn around and sell them a heavily 4e-influenced game, I'm all for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

LSTB posted:

I really wanna play a diceless game. I bought the one RPGpundit wrote, its actually kinda cool.

it's basically amber diceless so try that.

• Locked thread