Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Ratzap posted:

Do you mean this one? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24849-WIP-THSS-Tri-Hexagonal-Structural-Strut

Heh, good start but as you found out, a little too minimalist ;) Career mode will probably teach you how to make do with smaller lighter rockets too. One thing I'd point out to you about career mode is the amount of biomes near KSC. You can get a decent amount of early science to boost your initial designs by scraping them clean with cheesy pod+strut designs. Launchpad (yep, you can jump out and eva/sample there) and the runway are easiest to find but if you roll off the runway you will find another 2 - KSC is just off it and Shores is a little further. Join 2 pods end to end (or with box struts between) to roll straight off the runway.
Then there's water just a quick explosion away from the launchpad, a patch of tundra behind KSC along with grasslands, highlands and mountains.
You can find biome maps here: http://www.kerbalmaps.com/

I think this is what threw me off last night. I didn't realize I can get science by just poking around Kerbal. Instead I've been fighting and clawing to get orbit. Time to start the Terrestrial Inspection Team of Science!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

I would like to reiterate that I love airplanes.

This bastard has so much power and maneuverability it can practically poo poo in it's own mouth in a retina-detaching high G turn, and also break mach 3 at over 9000m ASL

edit: also zoom-climb to 63 kilometers lol

Did you build that from stock parts or is it a mod? If it had winglets it'd be a dead ringer for the Centurion from Wing Commander Privateer.

E: Also very YF-23 ish, of course

Phy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 19, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Kerbals are the greatest.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone want to share their rover designs. I'm trying to come up with something that works well while also fulfilling science objectives and I'm having problems designing something that is good all-round. If I try to build to size and weight constraints, it ends up being unstable. If I try to make it stable, it ends up being too big to launch seriously. I guess I just want to see the kind of stuff you guys are designing in order to give me a better idea of what kinds of things can be done.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

As a newb starting out in career mode, I'm wondering whether there are addons to:
  • Show which biome I'm over/on.
  • Display a checklist of science stuff (EVA/surface sample/crew report above/high above etc) by biome, so I can see what I have and haven't done.
Do they exist?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Jack the Lad posted:

As a newb starting out in career mode, I'm wondering whether there are addons to:
  • Show which biome I'm over/on.
  • Display a checklist of science stuff (EVA/surface sample/crew report above/high above etc) by biome, so I can see what I have and haven't done.
Do they exist?

Yes both are available, I know mechjeb will show what type of biome an area is when you hover over it in map mode, there is also a science plugin that alerts you of available experiments and can optionally pause warp when it detects something new if you like.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76793-0-23-5-ScienceAlert-Experiment-availability-feedback <- that's the science plugin.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Does anyone want to share their rover designs. I'm trying to come up with something that works well while also fulfilling science objectives and I'm having problems designing something that is good all-round. If I try to build to size and weight constraints, it ends up being unstable. If I try to make it stable, it ends up being too big to launch seriously. I guess I just want to see the kind of stuff you guys are designing in order to give me a better idea of what kinds of things can be done.

For my Minmus rover I just used a science lab on its side as core, then used girders to put wheels both above and below. Slapped on all the different experiments, solar panels, a couple of external command seats and RCS.

When I got to Minmus I just decoupled it and used the RCS to topple it off the rocket onto its wheels. Then I found out that the handling on Minmus is abysmal and wished I had put some engines on there so it could fly between biomes.

E: Pics

Geemer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 19, 2014

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

Then I found out that the handling on Minmus is abysmal and wished I had put some engines on there so it could fly between biomes.

Actually, the problem is the lack of gravity, if you have rcs thrusters you can push your rover into the ground to increase traction. Or you could use them to boost forward, but that can be unsafe. Boosting down toward the ground will never cause anything bad to happen.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Actually, the problem is the lack of gravity, if you have rcs thrusters you can push your rover into the ground to increase traction. Or you could use them to boost forward, but that can be unsafe. Boosting down toward the ground will never cause anything bad to happen.

Even with doing that, it took me 5 minutes to slow down from 20 m/s without toppling. My Minmus Rover has horrible traction problems.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Try updating/replacing your Toolbar mod to 1.7.1 and see if that helps. I had funky MJ window issues until I replaced my files and then they worked fine.

Edit: It's probably dumb to add, but make sure you're also using a MJ capsule or the control attachment piece. You won't see anything in the VAB (or outside it) until one of those are attached to your ship.

Huh that worked, I thought I had grabbed an updated version of Toolbar! Maybe one of the mods I dumped in had an older version I overwrote by accident. Thank you!

Yes indeed sir, that's the one. It looks fabulous and I want it for fancy ships.

e; On a side note, I grabbed ActiveTextureManagement because I wanted to try playing with the patched version of B9 aerospace, and I continue to crash from what appears to be memory issues (especially when transiting SoI). Anyone use that, or is there a better option? I fiddled with the config and think I'm using it, but I dunno if theres a better option out there.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 19, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Minmus is pretty much impossible to drive anything on. Short of building an absolutely massive rover, you'd be better served by making a minimal flying lander paired with an orbiting tanker.

I took this to every Minmus biome in one mission and it only cost a few hundred fuel. The other sensors are on the back.

Rovers are great on the Mun, though.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
gently caress this Eve return poo poo :-(

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Dramicus posted:

Yes both are available, I know mechjeb will show what type of biome an area is when you hover over it in map mode, there is also a science plugin that alerts you of available experiments and can optionally pause warp when it detects something new if you like.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76793-0-23-5-ScienceAlert-Experiment-availability-feedback <- that's the science plugin.

Awesome, thank you!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

thehustler posted:

Hah. Man, I should have warned you more. an Eve return mission is pretty much the end boss of KSP. Atmosphere soup, high gravity, no oxigen, ... It's a complete bastard to get out of. It's pretty much Australia in space.

Guys, we need to turn Venus into a prison colony.

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 19, 2014

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Falken posted:

Someone needs to get Better Atmospheres!

I'm going to go ahead and call it one of the "must have".

I'll bite: how badly does this tank frames?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Dramicus posted:

Ahh poo poo. That's what's been 'randomly' killing time warp on me recently! I totally didn't even realize it was doing this and had forgotten I installed this.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Spaced God posted:

I'll bite: how badly does this tank frames?

It uses the enhanced visuals mod, so if you can run volumetric clouds, this will run fine. It can be a little RAM heavy though since that specific mod uses some Hires textures. If you use heavy mods like B9 or KWR you might need to use reduced textures. Also, BA looks kind of wierd when launching at around 50km when the aura kicks in, but it's otherwise really pretty.

I have a dumb question: how are you supposed to use the LES that's now stock? As far as I know (I restarted career), there's no stackable parachutes so do you just slot a decoupler on top of your pod and then the LES, and just use radial chutes?

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 19, 2014

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

thehustler posted:

Indeed. Landing on the higher parts is hard due to their size and the slopes (been there, tried that). Then you not only need the correct amount of dV but also delivered in the right time frame to avoid going too far over terminal velocity. It doesn't help that the green vermin are horrible at climbing ladders to get back in and so much worse at it in heavy gravity.

If you're serious about it, try using Kethane jets or an Interstellar thermal jet design to return. Once you get to the 35-40km altitude area you're golden.

YF19pilot posted:

I think this is what threw me off last night. I didn't realize I can get science by just poking around Kerbal. Instead I've been fighting and clawing to get orbit. Time to start the Terrestrial Inspection Team of Science!

Last version I scraped Kerbin almost entirely clean without spending any science in one save as an experiment. Polar landings and low orbit works too and I ended up with 294.9 science. So unlocking some other experiments etc should get you close to 4-500.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

double nine posted:

Hah. Man, I should have warned you more. an Eve return mission is pretty much the end boss of KSP. Atmosphere soup, high gravity, no oxigen, ... It's a complete bastard to get out of. It's pretty much Australia in space.

This bothers the gently caress out of me. Oxygen has a y in it. Yes, I know it's oxidizer, but that's only because English is a hosed up language.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Holy poo poo I love FAR.

It's the difference between the KSO shuttle barely making orbit and easily making a 300km orbit.

gently caress the stock KSP drag model forever.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Green Calx posted:

Kerbals are the greatest.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
Is there a way to remove all of the donate/update buttons that have slowly been worming their way into the game? Intersteller and the Toolbar mod are just getting annoying.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Nazattack posted:

Is there a way to remove all of the donate/update buttons that have slowly been worming their way into the game? Intersteller and the Toolbar mod are just getting annoying.

poo poo isn't it. It's bad enough with them plastered all over the mod forums and download pages but them appearing in game as well is taking the piss. Max, please lay the law down on this and keep the in game experience free of nagware.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Nazattack posted:

Do everything you want to do in them. Stock. :dealwithit:

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Ratzap posted:

poo poo isn't it. It's bad enough with them plastered all over the mod forums and download pages but them appearing in game as well is taking the piss. Max, please lay the law down on this and keep the in game experience free of nagware.

If it was just a one off thing the first time after I install the mod, I can live with that. But I'm playing Sandbox and Intersteller keeps nagging me about a tech tree update. :argh:

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

Nazattack posted:

If it was just a one off thing the first time after I install the mod, I can live with that. But I'm playing Sandbox and Intersteller keeps nagging me about a tech tree update. :argh:

And here I was, thinking that I wanted to give Interstellar a try... I'll pass, now. The idea that making a game mod should be a way of generating income brings new meaning to delusion of grandeur, and anything that Squad can do to keep this behavior away from KSP's future would be welcome by me.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Ratzap posted:

Max, please lay the law down on this and keep the in game experience free of nagware.

It will be the start of the first great sperg exodus, but it's better to cut the tumor out now then letting it get worse. Now is the time to set your branding rules for the foreseeable future. NASA won't let you put a paypal donation link for your poo poo directly over their branding. It shouldn't happen to KSP either.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Nazattack posted:

Avoid bad mods? Fork 'em if one you like starts doing poo poo like that?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if it would be possible to make a general plugin that kills donation links from other mods. Doesn't the module manager give support for overwriting files from any mod?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Keiya posted:

I don't think it's beneficial to ignore the problem of people monetizing their mods until it gets so bad that someone gets a bitcoin miner coded into a DLL. The drama caused by just forking the code and removing donation buttons would be a sight to behold though. :munch:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Just learned why jettisoning a stage prematurely may be bad for a Kerbal's health. Granted, Jebidiah is still alive, but just. I had four SRBs mounted radially, and I hit space just before their fuel ran out. Instead of gracefully falling away like in all those videos I've watched of real space craft, they instead sped up, and simultaneously crashed into the rocket and destroyed the liquid fuel tank just under the command module. Which meant the larger SRB which still had most of it's fuel was still trucking along pushing the next two stages into space as Jeb drifted back to Kerba-firma.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

SocketSeven posted:

I don't think it's beneficial to ignore the problem of people monetizing their mods until it gets so bad that someone gets a bitcoin miner coded into a DLL. The drama caused by just forking the code and removing donation buttons would be a sight to behold though. :munch:

The idea of money and mods just causes a hellstorm in the KSP community. Remember when placeholder code for the Spaceport included the word "purchase" instead of download?
:munch: indeed, my friend.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

Instead of gracefully falling away like in all those videos I've watched of real space craft, they instead sped up, and simultaneously crashed into the rocket and destroyed the liquid fuel tank just under the command module.

I'm not an expert on rockets, but I think the real-world SRBs have a section of low-thrust packed in for when they decouple to avoid them suddenly becoming dead weight.

Spaced God posted:

The idea of money and mods just causes a hellstorm in the KSP community. Remember when placeholder code for the Spaceport included the word "purchase" instead of download?
:munch: indeed, my friend.

Doesn't the header still refer to it as an "Add-on Store"?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Because Radial SRB's are attached to the stack in the middle, their tops have a tendency to torque inwards towards the core rocket stack while under power. If you decouple the SRB's before burnout, they slide up your center stack, usually destroying stuff along the way. Seperatrons can prevent this by kicking the entire SRB away from the center stack when the decoupler fires. Make sure to mount them so their thrust doesn't damage your center stack! :eng101:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dramicus posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to make a general plugin that kills donation links from other mods. Doesn't the module manager give support for overwriting files from any mod?

Not really, because it would just prompt modders to code around whatever detection gets put into the game. It's an arms race that rapidly spirals out of control.

Keiya posted:

This is the most awesome solution, but none of the mods I use have popups or anything so :effort:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Forking a mod is the most :smug: answer when somebody might not know how to loving code.

That's like a Linux user's reply

Eve update: sacked it off and went to Laythe instead.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Speaking of Eve, doesn't the dense atmosphere make it very easy to get airborne with wings? Maybe using wings and the new and improved ion engines would make it easier.
Of course, you still need to get the rest of the way after you're done with the part where the wings and ions are useful.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ratzap posted:

I had a dig around in my memory and my mono install. You need 2 parttools zips from

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65356-0-23-PartTools/ and
https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/parttools/PartTools%20020.zip

Install Unity but add the parttools before you start it up by unzipping the 0.20 pack and tossing the unityPackage into <Loc>\Editor\Standard Packages
Then start up Unity, tell it to create a parttools project, save and exit. Go to where you told it to put the project, there should be an Assets folder, unpack the 0.23 in there to overwrite the 0.20 stuff.
I remember having to tell it where the KSP install lived too (so it could find the DLLs) but I can't recall if that was in Unity or Mono.

You are the best. Thanks. In a couple of posts you have yielded more information than I've been able to scrape from anywhere.

YF19pilot posted:

Just learned why jettisoning a stage prematurely may be bad for a Kerbal's health. Granted, Jebidiah is still alive, but just. I had four SRBs mounted radially, and I hit space just before their fuel ran out. Instead of gracefully falling away like in all those videos I've watched of real space craft, they instead sped up, and simultaneously crashed into the rocket and destroyed the liquid fuel tank just under the command module. Which meant the larger SRB which still had most of it's fuel was still trucking along pushing the next two stages into space as Jeb drifted back to Kerba-firma.

Fun, isn't it? I think it was said but if this is an issue for you just shove some separatrons on them and put them in the decoupling stage. get them to shove the SRBs out of the way. At least I think that'll work. Just don't hit space too early next time.
Also if you use separatrons be careful. They can cause the jettisoned stage to cartwheel back into the rocket under some conditions. In one of my active designs this happens with 6 or 8 of them. They cartwheel around, slam into some modular girders and make the whole rocket vibrate like a tuning fork.

For some reason I can't find the post, but dumping the science modules isn't hard if you get creative with design. You could have the modules on their own stage with tank and engine. That way you start out the return with a fresh tank, a properly sized engine and less mass. Or you could have radial engines and kind of have the craft poo poo out the science modules, or put them on top and jettison them with separatrons or something. Use your imagination.

I'd love to see fully interactive multiplayer in KSP. It'd be brilliant to terrorize someone re-enacting a moon landing while doing poo poo like this.

The active SRBs were jettisoned when velocity dropped enough.

Same rocket beforehand. Target in sight.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The Assembly Bay opens east, we'll just go from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

thehustler posted:

Forking a mod is the most :smug: answer when somebody might not know how to loving code.

That's like a Linux user's reply

Eve update: sacked it off and went to Laythe instead.

We're talking about a game that's literally about orbital mechanics. It's not unlikely that at least a few people using each mod have the skills to break the right part.

• Locked thread