Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Awesome, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
The good thing about having really weird taste in music/records is you don't have to wait in line for 6 hours because there's no RSD releases you actually want.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

MondayHotDog posted:

The good thing about having really weird taste in music/records is you don't have to wait in line for 6 hours because there's no RSD releases you actually want.

I stopped in at Sorry State here in Raleigh around 3 after running errands and picked up the Sunn/Ulver collab on gold vinyl :shobon:

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

Badly Jester posted:

Thanks for the heads-up re: Crimson King, sounds like I can't justify not getting it. Glad your story had a happy ending to it, too, druggie friend stories rarely do.

Also, :eurosmug: should be a thing. For all the horror stories I heard and read about RSD in the US, I just walked into two German record stores in the afternoon and got the poo poo I wanted, no lines or shoving involved. The only thing I couldn't find was College - Northern Council, but I can live with that.

Yeah dude, just as surprised as you are.
(Sadly, the whole story has a sad ending, because he passed away last year)

I live in southern California, and I have absolutely no idea about any of the horror stories besides what I hear.
Maybe it should be :socalsmug:?

Just got back from the record store again. I went through the RSD list again, and totally forgot about that Frank Zappa 7". Asked if they had a copy left, and they had one. Asked 'em to hold it for me, and I sped down there quick as poo poo and grabbed it.
Pressing #1016 out of 2100.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I got mostly what I wanted at my smallish shop. Apparently the 15 people in front of me were big Bowie (1984 and Rockaby Baby) and Devo (Live) fans because they were out of those releases.

Or perhaps the store only got one each of those. I felt bad for the first guy in line. He only wanted the LCD Soundsystem album, got in line at 5:30am, and was screwed out thanks to the store's "lottery" which gives everybody a "fair chance" for their first two choices regardless of how long they were in line. The guy was upset and after he left, one of the employees admitted the store only received two copies of the album.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Chuck D is signing records at Fingerprints in Long Beach if anyone is close. Dude is awesome.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Rough Trade NYC was totally hosed at like 3pm, there was a ~40-person, unmoving line out the door, and it looked like there were similar lines inside.

Instead, I hit up some smaller stores, and found this loving jam for $0.50 at Human Head:

So I consider this RSD a success!

(under that is a $0.50 copy of Yes's Fragile that seems to be decent quality, but I assume will sound like absolute rear end, because why else would it be $0.50?)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I can't wait to see how much I'm going to make on ebay today!

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Record Store Day haul.
David Lynch - The Air Is On Fire
Joy Division - An Ideal For Living
Das Oath - 2006 mini-LP
Drive Like Jehu - Self-Titled
Bastard Noise/Lack of Interest - The Hoak Sessions

Also, I took part in Secret 7" in London this year. 700 singles, each with a completely unique cover. Some guy on the other side of the world presumably owns a Black Sabbath 7" I did art for.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

CPL593H posted:

I can't wait to see how much I'm going to make on ebay today!

Hey, glad to see you got that Far Cry 3 soundtrack.

Someone please help me.

Dang, 2XL t-shirt. I meant XL. Oh well.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Surfingelectrode posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Amazon has several RSD releases up for reasonable prices.

Support your local record store, kids :thumbsup:

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Picked up The Space Project 7" set, the Velvet Underground - Loaded reissue, and the Ghostbusters theme song. Did y'all get your Pure Moods in Orinoco Orange or Deep Forest Green?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah I was pretty hyped about it. The store I went to thought they weren't going to get it at all, but I asked about it early enough that they were able to order it. I instantly fell in love with the analog Carpenteresque music of that game so I'm delighted to have it sit alongside my Death Waltz records.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's all the stuff I got:

Only things I couldn't find that I really wanted were:

The Moles - Flashbacks and Dream Sequences: The Story of the Moles 2LP+2CD
School of Seven Bells - Put Your Sad Down EP

Anyone got any leads on those?

What are the albums on the bottom row?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Abu Dave posted:

What are the albums on the bottom row?

Neon Neon - Days of Lead EP
Bjork - Telegram (not a RSD release but I found it at the store cheap)
DEVO / Flaming Lips split 7"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Arrived at my first choice around 10AM. They opened at 8AM, so there was a line of like 100 people snaking inside and they already had two pages of sold-out stuff. So I perused their outdoor $1 CD and $2 vinyl sale for a while and found some OK stuff.

As I was driving somewhere else I saw my second choice record store had one of those stupid crazy-inflatable-arm-man things and seemingly not a lot of people. I checked online and they open at 12 on Saturdays for some reason, so I headed in at 1:15. Lo and behold, boxes of RSD stuff at the front and like 10 people in line.

Got:
Soundgarden - Superunknown: The Singles ($45 :negative: )
Electroconvulsive Therapy Vol 2 (Italo-disco compilation - listening to it now; totally rad)
Sun Records sampler

I'm pretty happy.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Got about 30 records and only spent $25. Picked up the disclosure Apollo release since I like their ukg pop thing they got going. Snagged a stupid amount of hip hop for under a dollar. Almost bought the scientist dub box set but I couldn't justify $32 for 6 songs. Love me some dub but that's absurd for 3 10" vinyls, even if they're colored.

Edit:
Almost didn't get the disclosure release since some dude got it before me buy he ended up giving it to me for whatever reason. Real nice guy.

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008
Re-re-listening to the Blood Dragon OST on Spotify before I decide to open it up. It's great but is it $50 great? :sigh:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm pretty bummed to hear what's on the Devo Live album. Basically it's the exact same thing that's on Live: The Mongoloid years (which, to be fair, is long out of print) with 8 seconds of a David Bowie intro at the front. They advertised it as "the entire performance", which seems like it should have been more than the entire first set and only 1/8 tracks from the second set. It's a shame because there's still really interesting tracks from that second set that still haven't been heard outside bad bootlegs: Space Junk, I Need a Chick, and a long Jocko Homo performance.

I suppose if they would have done the whole performance it would have taken a double album, so I should have expected it. I still wish I could have gotten my hands on it today. It's still a great example of Devo's '77 shows.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

dalaamprince posted:

Re-re-listening to the Blood Dragon OST on Spotify before I decide to open it up. It's great but is it $50 great? :sigh:

Actually it's about $42, and it's a 3xLP.
I'd say go for it, but I'm a heavy spender.

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008

3dou posted:

Yeah my store marked it up to $50. Imagine my shock after seeing the Bull Moose price list -_- Listening to Space Project as well and kinda upset I didn't grab it.

EDIT: Ran back for their last copy of Space Project because I have no self-control and SPAAAAACE.

dalaamprince fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 20, 2014

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

dalaamprince posted:

Yeah my store marked it up to $50. Imagine my shock after seeing the Bull Moose price list -_- Listening to Space Project as well and kinda upset I didn't grab it.

You should show them this, haha.

That's the recommended price Alliance (record distributor) suggests store owners should charge people for each record.

I also have a list of what record stores payed for each album if you guys are curious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My store marked everything up by at least $2 and some of the bigger releases (Flaming Lips, Of Montreal, etc) were $7-$10 more than the retail price list going around. I'm all for supporting local stores, but the pricing is getting ridiculous.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I couldn't get to any store before five today, so I knew exactly how it was going to go. Everything from RSD was picked over with virtually nothing left at three stores. However, the last store had my favorite Dum Dum Girls album; small victory for me.

And ordered In The Valley Below's debut album last night knowing exactly how RSD would turn out for me.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

If anyone has an extra, or happens to see, Man Man - The Man in a Blue Turban with a Face, please, please give me it. For money.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My store marked everything up by at least $2 and some of the bigger releases (Flaming Lips, Of Montreal, etc) were $7-$10 more than the retail price list going around. I'm all for supporting local stores, but the pricing is getting ridiculous.

My store marks it up $3 at most I noticed.
If it's a 7" they don't even bother.
A lot of stores are doing this though; it's pretty hecked up.

Khorne Flakes posted:

I couldn't get to any store before five today, so I knew exactly how it was going to go. Everything from RSD was picked over with virtually nothing left at three stores. However, the last store had my favorite Dum Dum Girls album; small victory for me.

And ordered In The Valley Below's debut album last night knowing exactly how RSD would turn out for me.

a worthy uhh posted:

If anyone has an extra, or happens to see, Man Man - The Man in a Blue Turban with a Face, please, please give me it. For money.

I'll say what I've been saying: just wait. They'll be on discogs soon, and they'll be cheap. I just bought Colors_Live by BtBaM for $27, and on discogs...

You get the idea.
I mean, Colors_Live had a 1,400 pressing and Blue Turban had a 2,000 pressing.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

a worthy uhh posted:

call Papa Jazz Record Shoppe, they have a copy and they'll ship it out to you. Cheers

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Just found out people started lining up at my local store at 3 AM for a 10:00 opening :psyduck:

Nothing really caught my interest so I didn't go. Thank god. Still, congrats everyone who braved it and got cool stuff.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Distortion Records made some magic happen today.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Hummingbirds posted:

Just found out people started lining up at my local store at 3 AM for a 10:00 opening :psyduck:

Nothing really caught my interest so I didn't go. Thank god. Still, congrats everyone who braved it and got cool stuff.

I heard some people at my buddy's smaller store say they showed up at the big store in town a little before their 10am open and there was a ridiculous line and like the 25th person in line had been there since 5:30am.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

3dou posted:

It's a double LP, actually. But regardless the music is still fantastic and if you're a fan of the type of music Death Waltz puts out you'll be very happy with it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Dogen posted:

I heard some people at my buddy's smaller store say they showed up at the big store in town a little before their 10am open and there was a ridiculous line and like the 25th person in line had been there since 5:30am.

I waited in line with a couple friends at one of the larger record shops in Houston. We got there at 3am for a 10am opening, but the first couple guys in line started camping out at 2pm on Friday, which is insane. Camping out 7 hours beforehand is pretty nuts too, but I got 15/16 of the things I wanted, some of which was pretty limited stuff I didn't expect to find. So, no regrets.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Unless the poo poo they're selling comes with a free blowjob from Jesus Christ himself, there's nothing I can imagine that is worth standing in line for 7+ hours for.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Khorne Flakes posted:

In The Valley Below's debut album

I was out, man. :suicide:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I waited in line with a couple friends at one of the larger record shops in Houston. We got there at 3am for a 10am opening, but the first couple guys in line started camping out at 2pm on Friday, which is insane. Camping out 7 hours beforehand is pretty nuts too, but I got 15/16 of the things I wanted, some of which was pretty limited stuff I didn't expect to find. So, no regrets.

What were the 15 things

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
While we're all talking about our RSD pickups, I just put on The Last Goodbye and my god does it sound like heaven coming out of a speaker. Murphy worked on this fucker forever and mastered it for vinyl, and it shows.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Cactus? I showed up there around 12 and tried to get around but it was ridiculous* and I had a minor panic attack and had to bail. Went around to other shops and got some good stuff though.

*the line was easily 4 hours wait and people were drinking beers and had basically turned the line into weird party thing

Danimo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 20, 2014

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

Listened to Colors_Live, and wow. It doesn't even sound like a typical live album; it's REALLY good.
Listening to that fun. EP, and, well, it's a couple of demos. It's pretty good, and interesting to hear just how much the songs changed. Hint: a loving lot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Danimo posted:

Cactus? I showed up there around 12 and tried to get around but it was ridiculous* and I had a minor panic attack and had to bail. Went around to other shops and got some good stuff though.

*the line was easily 4 hours wait and people were drinking beers and had basically turned the line into weird party thing

Yep. Everyone was pretty chill when I was there and the store fed us Star Pizza and the usual Katz Koffee and kolaches in the morning. It honestly wasn't an unpleasant experience. I'm curious about how things were at Heights Vinyl and Vinal Edge.

I walked out with:

CHVRCHES Recover EP
Cut Copy 10"
Chuck Inglish/Chromeo 7"
Dodos/Magik Magik Orchestra 7"
Devo/Flaming Lips 7"
Flaming Lips 7SkiesH3 LP
Muppet Movie LP
Of Montreal Satanic Panic in the Attic 10th anniversary
Of Montreal Jigsaw 7"
Paranorman OST
Pink Panther OST
Saturday Looks Good to Me - Love Will Find You LP
The Space Project 7" Boxset
Tame Impala Live LP
Tears for Fears 10"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yep. Everyone was pretty chill when I was there and the store fed us Star Pizza and the usual Katz Koffee and kolaches in the morning. It honestly wasn't an unpleasant experience. I'm curious about how things were at Heights Vinyl and Vinal Edge.

Oh it wasn't hectic, I just can't deal with crowded spaces. I went to Cactus, Sound Exchange, Joel's Classical (not exactly a RSD shop but I'm into it), Black Dog, Heights Vinyl and Vinal Edge. I'm new to vinyl so I just sampled around.

I went to Heights at 5:30, they were busy but not really crowded and had a live group starting. Seems like a chill place. Vinal Edge wasn't that busy at 6 but they were wiped out of a lot of stuff.