Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I don't want to post in the pig head thread so as to not poo poo it up but do you guys really actually like head cheese? I mean, I've got to give the guy props on ballsiness and actually making it but IMO head cheese is gross. There's a reason it's the cheapest of all deli meats. I even tried heating it up once hoping that'd help but then I had a goo sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

:shobon: I think if you like the weird, gross parts of a ham (Like the cartilage) headcheese won't bother you. When I tried it I was really surprised that I actually did like it, I was expecting it to be a lot slimier and sloppier than it is but it's very firm and savoury.

I don't think sandwiches are really the best way to eat it either; not that it's much different but I prefer it with other deli meats, cheese, mustard and crackers.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I absolutely love headcheese. I can never make it though because the cost for having my pigs slaughtered is 50 cents per pound of packaged meat plus the stomach, which of course is the necessary organ for making the sausage, and which the butcher keeps for his own personal use. He never shares.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Geokinesis posted:

Yeah taking a quick look a cool oven is 90C, so yeah meringue icing, blech. I may make my own icing, then again tesco seems to have superfine sugar for baking so I might be able to keep closer to the recipe.

I'd imagined it to look like almost like meringue, I just liked the phrase firm froth. :shobon:

I've made meringue cookies with plain granulated sugar several times and haven't had an issue, but if you dont' want to/can't get superfine sugar, just toss the required weight of sugar in a blender and buzz it around a bit. Free superfine sugar!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I absolutely love headcheese.
Same here. The best discovery I ever made at the Mexican market (even better than then time mandarin oranges were 5lb/$1) was when I noticed the queseria offered not only cheese, but head cheese - some of it infused with jalapeno.

Thinly sliced head cheese, thinly sliced onion, splash of cider or malt vinegar. Eat on good rye bread. Or put a few slices in a Vietnamese roll, cover with pate, pickled daikon/carrot, and cilantro with a few slices of green chile. Or just stare at a slice and admire the stained glass window of charcuterie.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Sjurygg posted:

Berlin was good. So was the beer. I covered schewinshaxe, currywurst, döner and shitloads of crispy pork belly at a Chinese restaurant (rightly) famed for its grilled meat. I don't think I'm going to eat meat again for a while.

I felt the same way when we got back from Germany, and we were in the south where tradition reigns. So. Much. Meat....

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Head cheese is amazing. :colbert:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Casu Marzu posted:

Head cheese is amazing. :colbert:

Cook or Die: Smegma

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

I don't want to post in the pig head thread so as to not poo poo it up but do you guys really actually like head cheese? I mean, I've got to give the guy props on ballsiness and actually making it but IMO head cheese is gross. There's a reason it's the cheapest of all deli meats. I even tried heating it up once hoping that'd help but then I had a goo sandwich.

headcheese is fuckin great, and I say that unironically. don't buy headcheese from like, the deli counter - find someplace that is making their own and proud of it, or at least like a premium butcher or something.

I'm pretty sure a lot of vietnamese places on buford highway make their own - like Lee's bakery. the headcheese they use in their 'special combination' banh mi is mindblowingly good. same for quoc huong, etc. I think las tortas locas also has one made in house, but I am probably wrong about that seeing as its so cheap.

anyways, I love the texture (cartilage-y bits), and it has a more robust flavor that's not just hammy or whatever, but more like livery or something? mmmm

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

mindphlux posted:

headcheese is fuckin great, and I say that unironically. don't buy headcheese from like, the deli counter - find someplace that is making their own and proud of it, or at least like a premium butcher or something.

I'm pretty sure a lot of vietnamese places on buford highway make their own - like Lee's bakery. the headcheese they use in their 'special combination' banh mi is mindblowingly good. same for quoc huong, etc. I think las tortas locas also has one made in house, but I am probably wrong about that seeing as its so cheap.

anyways, I love the texture (cartilage-y bits), and it has a more robust flavor that's not just hammy or whatever, but more like livery or something? mmmm

Yup. There's a a butcher around here who still makes his own from his own pigs, and it's awesome. Still makes his own blood sausage too. He's retiring soon though. loving sucks.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I absolutely love headcheese. I can never make it though because the cost for having my pigs slaughtered is 50 cents per pound of packaged meat plus the stomach, which of course is the necessary organ for making the sausage, and which the butcher keeps for his own personal use. He never shares.

You don't need the stomach lining to wrap headcheese, just pack everything into a deep bread pan or similar. It'll still set. You don't even need a head, pickled pig's knuckles are just as good and usually (at least around these parts) much more freely available. It's even got a name, we call it "svenskesylte" ("Swedish brawn"). Allspice is very good in it, and mustard seeds. You can use salted and smoked knuckles as well, I prefer salted. Simmer the meat looong, three hours at the very least, then pick the meat while the stock keeps boiling. Set the picked meat aside, return the cartilage and skin to the pot and boil it further until it gets a glossy sheen. Pack the meat into the mould, ladle over just enough stock to bind. Not so much that the meat starts floating, it should be mostly meat.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

gently caress it I should just do a (not really that much) effortpost on it, but we mostly just make it for Christmas. I'll see what I can do.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Why do people sign their posts on forums and comment threads? I can see your name right there.

Dino

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

Why do people sign their posts on forums and comment threads? I can see your name right there.

Dino

Some people don't understand that they aren't writing a letter. Others do it out of habit because some corporations require everyone to use a signature in emails.

Either way, it's dumb and pretty embarrassing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

contrapants posted:

Either way, it's dumb and pretty embarrassing.

Says the man with a giant, animated-GIF signature block? :psyduck:

dino. posted:

Dino

It's a habit that goes back to 1986: in the early BBS days, people DID sign their posts. There weren't avatars, it was all text, so it made sense.
This was actually a difficult habit for me to squash. I managed to stop doing it during the Internet 1.0 era, though.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 18, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Test

Edit: Looks like I do still have a signature, yep!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

Says the man with a giant, animated-GIF signature block? :psyduck:

:thejoke:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of vietnamese places on buford highway make their own - like Lee's bakery.

I've only ever tried Pataks. Speaking of which, did you ever get to head over there? I'm telling you man, best meats in Atlanta even though it's outside of the perimeter.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Two day FDA audit done with ZERO REPORTABLE nonconformances!!

gently caress yeah!!!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Dang, yo. Get you a scotch.

How do you feel about federal regulation of smaller farms, such as the lovely cantankerous book everything I want to do is illegal?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
*trigger warning*

one time I put halved grapes on carbonara and it tasted good

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Vegetable Melange posted:

Dang, yo. Get you a scotch.

How do you feel about federal regulation of smaller farms, such as the lovely cantankerous book everything I want to do is illegal?

Ah, the poly face farms guy.

Everything he does or wants to do can be answered "yes, but..."

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I don't get why people sign their posts, .dino. I also have never tried headcheese. There are a couple of reputable butchers around here. I'll have to poke around to see if they do anything in-house. I'll pick up a little, and then I will...

Eat This Glob.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

NosmoKing posted:

Two day FDA audit done with ZERO REPORTABLE nonconformances!!

gently caress yeah!!!

Meanwhile, one of the most popular tapas places in Vegas - which last year gave over 300 people salmonella poisoning at their first location - managed to pull a C grade from the health department at one of their suburban spots. Something about a cook prepping raw squid, going to the ice machine to scoop ice, then returning to the squid without washing his hands ever, I don't know. Food hygiene is complicated. The media shitstorm was pretty impressive and ended with the owners closing the offending location in a huff even after it re-inspected to an A grade the next day.

Dear Nosmo please move to Las Vegas and become the food hygiene consultant to the stars.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I've been told by a coworker that it's basically impossible for a Vegas hotel to fail an inspection, because they can compartmentalize their kitchen into different "kitchens" that all get graded separately, is this true?

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Meanwhile, one of the most popular tapas places in Vegas - which last year gave over 300 people salmonella poisoning at their first location - managed to pull a C grade from the health department at one of their suburban spots. Something about a cook prepping raw squid, going to the ice machine to scoop ice, then returning to the squid without washing his hands ever, I don't know. Food hygiene is complicated. The media shitstorm was pretty impressive and ended with the owners closing the offending location in a huff even after it re-inspected to an A grade the next day.

Dear Nosmo please move to Las Vegas and become the food hygiene consultant to the stars.

Employee practices are the absolute make or break part of an inspection and the food safety system. You can have an incredibly well-designed system with all the safeguards and training in place that you can think of but if someone decided to not follow the rules they can gently caress the whole thing in the rear end sideways.

Helping people understand but why not just the one of their jobs and their behaviors is really important too. Storytelling is an outstanding way to communicate to people the importance of their job and the potential side effects if they neglect their job. The reality of the situation? If you gently caress up your job and don't do the things you are supposed to, you can kill people.

Large part of my job's motivation is I don't want to be the guy with CNN cameras in his face explaining why grandma or someone's baby is dead.

The other thing is you have to be willing to go through progressive discipline with violations of the food safety policy being very very serious offenses. Someone doesn't check their HACCP critical control point when they're supposed to once, that's something we can retrain to. Someone falsifies a sheet of paperwork saying that they checked their HACCP control point for the day because they forgot, that's something you get fired for, right loving now.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have the potential for a promotion to a Sous Chef spot in the future. Still at the fancy grocery store thing I've been doing for years now. But a new one is opening soon, and they need chefs. Rumor has it one of our current Sous' will become the new Exec at the new store, and he likes my work and knows I'm not a fuckup or slacker. So, good things. Assuming the rumors are true.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
He drew a deep breath. "Well, I'm back," he posted.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Guys, my parents are in Istanbul and then Scotland next week, what should I ask them to bring me back? I was thinking a bottle of scotch (obviously) and maybe some tea I'd never be able to find in the states would be cool from Scotland, but have no idea what else would be awesome.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Iron Lung posted:

Guys, my parents are in Istanbul and then Scotland next week, what should I ask them to bring me back? I was thinking a bottle of scotch (obviously) and maybe some tea I'd never be able to find in the states would be cool from Scotland, but have no idea what else would be awesome.

haggis

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Iron Lung posted:

A deep-fried Mars bar.

Turkish delight from Istanbul.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Iron Lung posted:

aci biber
mastika?
All the best experiences I had in Istanbul couldn't really be brought back though

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Iron Lung posted:

Irn Bru. Especially the zero calorie variety which is completely impossible to buy stateside.

Otherwise the essence of Scottish cuisine is wholesome, fresh, local food - kales and cabbages, turnips and potatoes, fish and lamb. None of these things travel very well. There is some particularly good cheese that come rolled in oats called Caboc that might make the trip.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

As a previous resident of Scotland, I can say that the only things that are good in Scotland that will survive the journey are whisky and shortbread. Scotland has a lot of wonderful food to offer, but it's either extremely perishable (like tatty scones and haggis) or terrible (like Irn Bru and deep fried pizza).

Actually, deep-fried pizza is amazing, but I wouldn't ask my parents to bring one back on a plane.

As for Istanbul, if you don't get some real Turkish delight from a bazaar, you're really missing out.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Irn Bru. Especially the zero calorie variety which is completely impossible to buy stateside.

Otherwise the essence of Scottish cuisine is wholesome, fresh, local food - kales and cabbages, turnips and potatoes, fish and lamb. None of these things travel very well. There is some particularly good cheese that come rolled in oats called Caboc that might make the trip.

I'm guessing one wouldn't be allowed to bring the perishable goods into the country.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You could ask for some turkish tea from Turkey as well. You can buy it in the states sometimes, but I bet they'd have more variety over there. They actually grow a lot of tea and drink it there within the country and have one of the highest tea consumption per capita worldwide.

You could also ask for some Sumac, although that can also be obtained if you look for it. It's kind of a fruity/lemony spice and an attractive deep maroon color.

You could ask for some fancy/exotic honey as well.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Ask for an harem maiden.

Or a turkey.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Scientastic posted:

or terrible (like Irn Bru

You take that back!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So I have been somewhat successful in catching some fish, white perch to be specific.

I have been looking at videos on how to clean and filet them and found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb7D0

I assume this is like Martin Yan deboning a chicken, it only works that easily once you have done it a thousand times. Anyone recommend a more reasonable method? There are a couple different one's I have found and am not sure how to judge them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions. I can get sumac here which I like a lot, but I'll pass on a few of those things most sound awesome. Especially the haggis, deep-fried pizza, and whisky.