Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
The RE-11A are great in the wet, and Advan Neova.

They just came out with the R-S3 in 195/50/15, that's what I wish I'd got (instead of the Bridgestones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Mantle posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified. Which street tires?

If its not standing water, "race" tires like the RS3 do just fine. Conti DW tends to be a decent rain tire choice for standing water. Michelin pilot super sport is sometimes recommended, but I haven't seen anyone actually run them.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I run NT01s in the rain :v:

I've never had to run in standing water though.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Brigdh posted:

If its not standing water, "race" tires like the RS3 do just fine. Conti DW tends to be a decent rain tire choice for standing water. Michelin pilot super sport is sometimes recommended, but I haven't seen anyone actually run them.

Super sports are way better than RS3/Z1s in the rain. I think Z2s might be even or have a slight edge but I haven't driven any in the wet yet.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
RE11's were fun to play with in the wet, they tend to communicate pretty well with AWD, and you generally can predict when they're about to go, but I definitely wouldn't use them as my goto for a TT day.

Starspecs were nothing to write home about, they just let loose if you even thought about playing with the throttle.

RS3's leave a lot to be desired in wet conditions, but supposedly the 2014 V2 compound change is supposed to fix the wet/cold issues somehow. Has anyone played with it yet?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I lost to a BRZ in the Z06. At least it was Bsamu :(

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Don't worry, the BRZ still lost at making its owner forget about male pattern baldness.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

z06 also had a terrifying set of teeth created with some tape. And an evil goatee!

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Hi im trying to find out if i can put a full srt8 suspension on a rt charger without getting bumped up a class? The rules state I can do an option package swap for the same model and year. Does that fall under that rule?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
You need to specify what class. If you're talking stock, it has to be a full conversion. Anything different between your car and the SRT8 need to be swapped, and that includes drivetrain. If you're in street touring it might be possible depending on specific suspension differences.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Well the car is completely stock but the handling leaves something to be desired was just trying to find a way to stiffen it up without going into a class I cant afford to race in.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Placed 2nd in STC, because leaning (my head) over helps the car turn.

http://youtu.be/FCAGR4DYPkA

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 15, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well of course it does, an overly stiff suspension will always cost you traction. :v:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

First event of the season isn't until May 10th! :argh:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

TrueChaos posted:

First event of the season isn't until May 10th! :argh:

Really? We just had one on Saturday, and have another on the 26th. Why wait until May 10th?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Literally snowed here less than 2 weeks ago, our first event is the 10th as well. Season usually finishes first week of october.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Do they run snowx events up until it stops snowing? I've seen a few advertised at Limerock and NHMS I think.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Brigdh posted:

Really? We just had one on Saturday, and have another on the 26th. Why wait until May 10th?

There's the potential of about 3" of snow today. Last year the first calabogie track day (first weekend in May) had a mix of snow/hail/rain for the morning sessions, warming up to a balmy 3C (~38F) in the afternoon.

Also life keeps getting in the way of prepping the car.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

There's the potential of about 3" of snow today. Last year the first calabogie track day (first weekend in May) had a mix of snow/hail/rain for the morning sessions, warming up to a balmy 3C (~38F) in the afternoon.

Also life keeps getting in the way of prepping the car.

Ah, Ottawa? Eh, I suppose I could see that. Most of the time when I hear folks complaining their season doesn't start until May, they are in California or something and typically shut up with confusion when they hear that we run year round in Colorado. Hell, we had an event on Saturday, and it snowed Sunday :)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ottawa area, anyway. This is the time of year in between the ice track melting (snow cross and ice racing, woo!) and getting the lot we use for autocross. We'd love to have April events, but our lot is one of the parking lots at the Senators arena, so hockey season (and the Sens not making the playoffs) have to end before they'll even give us dates.

Thankfully the Sens suck.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr3q1myNvG0&t=90s

The first event last year in Peterborough sleeted.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Muffinpox posted:

Do they run snowx events up until it stops snowing? I've seen a few advertised at Limerock and NHMS I think.

Sccnh did a snowx last year at nhms, no event this year though as I guess they are a pita to schedual with our oh so predictable weather

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
welp flushed the brakes got a helmet aired up the tires and cleaned out the car. First autocross tomorrow at Nassau coliseum hope I don't eat too many cones.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

look ahead

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Chriskory posted:

look ahead

Just got back from the 3rd autox of the S2000 club's series and this advice, more than anything helped. Huge difference between smooth runs where I looked far ahead, and choppy, sliding runs that were glacial. Controlled throttle application was another help. Still not fast, but I'm getting there.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Dear god this is the most fun thing ever and everyone is extremely helpful and friendly I am kind of pissed off I didn't go do this the second I got my license. The NER Novice program is absolutely fantastic and the instructors were amazing. The course was so fast and well designed that being a course worker was pretty entertaining (helps to be working when modified/street modified is running). No one even made fun of my dumb slow car. Anyone who owns a legal car should do this at least once.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 19, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Extra posted:

Dear god this is the most fun thing ever and everyone is extremely helpful and friendly I am kind of pissed off I didn't go do this the second I got my license. The NER Novice program is absolutely fantastic and the instructors were amazing. The course was so fast and well designed that being a course worker was pretty entertaining (helps to be working when modified/street modified is running). No one even made fun of my dumb slow car. Anyone who owns a legal car should do this at least once.

One of us, one of us :getin:

As a novice instructor, NOTHING brings a smile to my face like this kind of response.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

As a novice instructor, NOTHING brings a smile to my face like this kind of response.

Yeah, I agree. The Formula SAE team from the university comes out a few times a year, and they typically only have 2-3 people on the team who are actually allowed to drive (university requires full fire suits, etc) so we usually try and get them to bring their daily's out so everyone can drive. Had two students last year who are now regular attendees and it's awesome to see them progress :3:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Beach Bum posted:

I'm trying to reconcile that bubbly happy post with the bitter horrible poster I know from the gaming threads, and it's hurting my head.

Welcome to the crack-pipe Extra.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Apologies if this has been asked before, but are there any autocrosses in and around Waco? I'd go as far as 25-30 mile radius but probably not more unless you get a lot of runs.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

I placed 1st in STC and scored 945 points on pax.

Almost makes me want to prepare my car more seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6BK9unW69o

Also saw some cool cars during my photographer work assignment.

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 28, 2014

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

That Beetle is fantastic.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Chriskory posted:

I placed 1st in STC and scored 945 points on pax.

Almost makes me want to prepare my car more seriously.

Kinch in a local who owns a nationally competitive Civic and has won several titles with it. He can probably tell you exactly what to do if you ask on the local forums.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

That Beetle is fantastic.

What isn't shown is the exhaust pipe that sticks out 4 feet past the rear bumper. At least they had the foresight to bring their own cone to put next to it in grid so that people didn't burn themselves walking by.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Brigdh posted:

What isn't shown is the exhaust pipe that sticks out 4 feet past the rear bumper. At least they had the foresight to bring their own cone to put next to it in grid so that people didn't burn themselves walking by.

Brigdh posted:

Kinch in a local who owns a nationally competitive Civic and has won several titles with it. He can probably tell you exactly what to do if you ask on the local forums.

I talked with Kinch while helping push his civic onto the trailer after he broke an axle this winter. I'm trying to daily drive mine so I can't prepare it to that same level. Stephen Murphy has a red one that is national ready but he still drives to events. Tough balance.

You've got the silver RX8? or the purple blue?

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 28, 2014

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Jacking this from phone, I really want to see someone film an autox run from a drone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV0xFNpv-aA

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Chriskory posted:

You've got the silver RX8? or the purple blue?

Silver.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Muffinpox posted:

Jacking this from phone, I really want to see someone film an autox run from a drone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV0xFNpv-aA

I'd imagine it's ggoing to be, if not already, the same way most mototcycle racing/trackday orgs are now with a ban on multicopters.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Photos courtesy of SoloSnapshots

First off, of course, snow in May.

Going from heavy and awd to relatively light and fwd is taking a bit of adjusting. Add in that I have been off the track for two years and there's lots of adjustments to do before I become smooth through the cones again.

All in all it was a great time, huge grin on my face at the end of the day. Managed to go through 6 runs (4 timed, two fun runs) and only hit 2 cones on my last run, otherwise all clean runs. Once I figure out the dimensions of the car I should be hitting more cones.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I went out for the first event of the season yesterday and clinched 3rd overall in PAX out of 51 entrants. It was the first time I ran my new '14 Fiesta ST - bone stock G Street class. I did way way better than I thought I would, beat everyone in the 'street' class by a healthy margin in raw time. I can't wait to throw on some better tires!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3iI9S40LHY

Now I did have a lot of fun, but the only thing that bothered me was the way my division wastes time. It's a nice way to spend a sunday, but 95% of the time is just standing around. Registration CLOSES at 9AM and the first car doesn't start until after 11AM. Everything is done on paper, no online signups at all so it takes absolutely forever. Then there are 3+ people at each flagging station, and it seemed like one dude was calling shots for the entire course the whole day anyway.

I've come to the conclusion that AutoX is really just a way for old dudes to get away from their wives for a day, which is totally understandable, but for people who actually want to drive/compete, it's just a huge waste of time and can be frustrating. I got a total of TWO minutes of seat time and I was at the lot for 9 full hours.

I would love to start an autocross league, maybe even without SCCA affiliation that does all online signups and gets right down to business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Voltage posted:

I've come to the conclusion that AutoX is really just a way for old dudes to get away from their wives for a day, which is totally understandable, but for people who actually want to drive/compete, it's just a huge waste of time and can be frustrating. I got a total of TWO minutes of seat time and I was at the lot for 9 full hours.

I would love to start an autocross league, maybe even without SCCA affiliation that does all online signups and gets right down to business.

The solution in some cases is to volunteer to help make it better. Most regions I've participated in have run a much tighter ship than what you describe here, even the Kalispel group which was pretty casual managed to get 8-10 runs for everyone and only eat up 6-7 hours of the day or less (although they had a pretty light turnout typically).

Phoenix typically runs 110-130 competition entries with 4-5 runs, and 45-60 time only entries with another 4-5 runs and is off-site by 5pm (although start for equipment setup is 6am) with registration closing at 8:15'ish I think and first car out at 9.

Make contact with the organizers and see if you can help out. Volunteer to make a pre-registration site or whatever you are capable of doing to assist. Once you are seen as an asset to the club, then you can start working to change the format to make the events better for everyone.

• Locked thread