Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

movax posted:

Goddamn, I could have used that module a few months ago ;)
Heh. Well hell man, let me know! ;)

movax posted:

PetaLinux was bought by Xilinx as I'm sure you know, and they're big with the folks doing Linux on MicroBlaze and now the Zynq; I've been pretty happy with Xilinx Linux so far. Patches come fast from their guys (I'm pretty sure they hired on Michal Simek as soon as they humanly could), they reply to e-mails (I emailed them saying thanks once, and they replied back with their phone numbers and confusion that someone was willing to say 'thank-you'), and they're generally on top of their poo poo.
Yeah, I know it's a Xilinx thing. I don't know much about it other than that. I know it has some weird commercial license. The other guy who got it working internally would know more, I haven't played with it yet.

movax posted:

mnd: how many layers is the EX-800?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

hendersa posted:

I've been banging away with gprof to generate timing info for callgraphs of various emulators.

Use oprofile and the same gprof tools to view the results, you will get significantly more useful and accurate results.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
Finally finished adding multi document support to this xml editor i've been making, and it saves documents in the browser when leaving a webpage

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

please post butts.xml i need it for a project

ps It looks really great

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I've been working on a custom decoration for an application that I'm writing. My goal was to use the default Java look and feel Metal but to have the windows' decoration consistent across platforms. I tried to choose a palette that was complementary with Metal.

Over all, I kinda feel like I missed the mark. I'm going to abandon this 'feature' of my application in favor of something more maintainable and manageable. I also want to abandon the multi-window structure in favor of a single main window that with a tabbed pane.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
--

APOD is really, really cool and I loving love space pictures. They make absolutely fantastic desktop wallpapers very often, so I'm working on an application that automatically makes the new picture my desktop wallpaper each day at logon:

So far it seems to be functional and I'm working on fleshing out the options. The Automatic version check doesn't do anything right now, same with 'About' and I need an icon and to make some tooltips and I'd really love to make the Style something the user could really customize based on image dimensions. The storage management is probably a horrific coding nightmare of inefficiency to boot, but it's something I wanted to mess with a bit rather than an imminently necessary feature yet.

If anyone is interested in giving it a try, you can download it from here via the SourceForge link; the source code is available on that Git repo as well. Coded in C# using VS2012 Express, if anyone runs into any bugs or has suggestions I'm all ears.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 6, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

This might be surprising for some, a basic scrolling ticker takes up a lot of CPU and GPU time in a browser, example:

http://miru.hk/tmp/nyse/png/2cpu8.html

Maxed out single core and GPU surprisingly hitting hard, presumably just bit bltting.

Now offload the animation to the GPU but hook up with the CPU for content change at various animation points

http://miru.hk/tmp/nyse/png/2WAgpu8PRNG.html
http://miru.hk/tmp/nyse/svg/baa~timeditem.html
http://miru.hk/tmp/nyse/svg/baa~timeditem.html

Less than 5% on CPU and GPU. Using fancy new web animations API which is in draft and running in 100% javascript but surprisingly well.

I think this is where it is supposed to end up, 8x1 set of monitors in the middle and left, and the bottom of the big 4x4 on the right.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 11, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Screw "screenshot" saturday, my game shows better in video anyways, woo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSUu-VY3Nkc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj5qHWwxrcM

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Shalinor those (new?) features look great, and the graphics including the blur and lighting have always looked awesome. I know we've exchanged thoughts on this before, but I think there could be a lot of improvement when the hero takes a hit and the visibility toggles on and off. It's mainly that the character's visibility turns off for too long at first, but I think it could have a graphical element added to it. Have you considered adding a spiky flash graphic and having the character look a bit surprised? Then after do the quick visibility on/off effect.

The characters that came to mind that have this sort of effect are Kirby and Megaman, but could only find a Megaman sprite animation in particular.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Shalinor those (new?) features look great, and the graphics including the blur and lighting have always looked awesome. I know we've exchanged thoughts on this before, but I think there could be a lot of improvement when the hero takes a hit and the visibility toggles on and off. It's mainly that the character's visibility turns off for too long at first, but I think it could have a graphical element added to it. Have you considered adding a spiky flash graphic and having the character look a bit surprised? Then after do the quick visibility on/off effect.

The characters that came to mind that have this sort of effect are Kirby and Megaman, but could only find a Megaman sprite animation in particular.

I'm trying to draw a really hard line on introducing 2D elements into the scene, so an overlay would feel really weird and out of place aesthetically. It would also involve alpha, typically, which is another thing I'm trying to avoid (ie. no translucency). Part of it is that there is flat out no Pain animation right now, so that doesn't help, but I don't know if that's the answer either. Mega Man actually locks your input in pain frames, whereas I use that blink as a "get the hell out of the spike pit you dummy!" warning/user-friendliness window.

Dunno. The answer might just be to, as you say, tighten up the blink rate to something quicker, and drop the taper at the end. The taper was meant to give you some feedback as to when you were about to be "hittable" again, but strictly speaking, I don't know if that's necessary info. It isn't like players are going to sit there going "nah man I can sit here for at LEAST another half second, see, the blink is still going!", outside of speedrunners that would memorize the timing anyways.

Either way, you're dead on that Mega Man is what I'm emulating here (a lot of my movement mechanics come from that too), so I probably just need to fire it back up and emulate it more closely. (EDIT: I'm not ignoring your guys' feedback from earlier, I just haven't touched the blink since I posted it way back - I've been getting rolling on content design, implementing the stuff you see up there, conveyors and push zones most recently, and using them to build out the obstructions you hit in platforming, etc)

EDIT: Though on the 2D thing, one thing I am struggling with right now is that the FOV is such that to give objects noticeable depth when they're near dead-on, they're REALLY thick as they pan to the left or right of center screen. The chat bubbles look silly when they pop at the edges of the screen, for instance, and I'm not sure where I want to strike that balance. Eh. We'll see.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 7, 2014

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Don't stress too much about it, because it's not a major thing that's breaking the game. You'll figure something out, and maybe what I see is totally wrong and what you have will be fine.

I actually never thought of the gameplay being similar to Mega Man until you mentioned it. I just thought of the way it looks when the player takes damage in that game. I understand what you mean about the difference of taking damage in that game vs yours. Since you can still move in your game while taking damage, maybe you could have an exclamation point in a spiky bubble above his head, or white lines indicating surprise coming from all directions of his body or head, and they could still be 3D.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Spent a weekend in Belarus (about 12 hours from Estonia by bus) taking part in a 48-hour hackathon (Friday to Sunday evening) called Garage48. It was a lot of work, a lot of stress but also a lot of fun and I think that the result was great, I'm very satisfied with how our app came together in the end.
We managed to win the Microsoft special prize so I'll have a Lumia to play around with and to try some dev on soon :) (I suspect part of the reason we didn't get first place was because the first place prize was a trip to some events... in Estonia)

Our team consisted of 9 people, with me being the sole programmer on the game. I mostly worked together with our two designers and the only local we had in our team, a Belarusian girl who was actually a folk dancer - I have no idea how we'd have done the dance stuff without her help since none of us knew anything about that. The rest of the team was basically a bunch of marketers and a lead... I didn't have much time to interact with them.

Here's a video of our final pitch from Sunday evening. Check it out if you enjoy puns and can stand some slightly awkward English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2JD6Y2-iFI

Wrote it using LibGDX so Android and desktop versions were easy to make. Haven't had a chance to test the iOS porting capabilities - I don't have access to the necessary Apple products :(

Oh yeah, the game - it's a basic rhythm game with the idea of using folk songs from around the world for the songs. The author of the idea (our pitcher) had an idea for this to be a part of his final thesis in cross-media, revolving around the Estonian Song and Dance Celebration in July and so supposedly we're going to get some cool promotion from them and Estonian Public Broadcasting :) In any case, I'm going to be working on this for a while still to get it ready for the celebrations. Need more content!

If you'd like to try it then here's a link to a .apk for Android and also a Java .jar for desktop. The Android version should have leaderboards from Google Play Services but I don't think they work in the non-store version and it's a bit early to share our beta store link just yet. Just keep in mind that this was made almost entirely from scratch (we had the idea and I had been thinking of code a bit in my head but we had no designs or any code written down or anything like that) in less than 48 hours.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

For the past three years, I have been working on an emulation platform for the purpose of analyzing malware. It is called DECAF (Dynamic Executable Code Analysis Framework). It is an instrumented emulator based on QEMU with a plugin mechanism that allows you to construct tools to find stack and buffer overflows, keyloggers, backdoors, etc. on x86 and ARM (and soon MIPS) for Linux, Windows, and Android. It is open source and available here: https://code.google.com/p/decaf-platform/

I recently had a paper on DECAF accepted to the 2014 International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (ISSTA):

Our lab also published a technical report on the details of the data flow propagation logic used in DECAF:

There is no project that can't be made fancier by formally defining its behavior with first-order predicate calculus. :eng101:

Scaevolus posted:

Did you have a look at gpsp? It's less mature than VBA, but has more aggressive optimizations (including a dynarec).

I haven't dug too deeply into gpsp yet, but I did pull out the ARM Neon asm scaling routines and tried them out with some of the other emulators I am working with. They are working really well! I did have to fiddle around with them to get them to properly integrate with the other modules built by my ARM toolchain, though.

MrMoo posted:

Use oprofile and the same gprof tools to view the results, you will get significantly more useful and accurate results.

I still need to look at this, but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

See, this is why I talk about this stuff here with you guys. You seem to always throw things out there that I have not heard of that I can integrate into my bag of tricks.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Finally got the domain name I wanted, so here's a fun little project I did over my winter break. Because why the hell not.

placecosby.com

edit: For shits and giggles, here's a quick JS script I slapped together to replace all images on a page with Cosby.

code:
function replaceWithCosby(){
    var source = "http://www.placecosby.com/";
    var images = document.querySelectorAll("img");
    for(var i=0; i < images.length; i++){
        var image = images[i];
        var imgNum = Math.floor(Math.random()*30);
        image.setAttribute("src", source+"/"+image.width+"/"+image.height+"?image="+imgNum);
    }
}
replaceWithCosby();

Dad Jokes fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 11, 2014

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Placeholder? I'm going to start using

as a section separator.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
You should make your service return a random Cosby by default, and only give out a specific one if asked for.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

It actually does, but the randomization is limited to once a day to try the reduce the average number of images being generated. I'm on a free AWS hosting tier, and I want to avoid overloading it until I get a better feel for how much this service will be used.

edit: vvv I've never been prouder.

Dad Jokes fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 11, 2014

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Dad Jokes posted:

edit: For shits and giggles, here's a quick JS script I slapped together to replace all images on a page with Cosby.

code:
    for(var i=0; i < images.length; i++){
        var image = images[i];
        image.setAttribute("src", source+"/"+image.width+"/"+image.height+"?image="+imgNum);
    }
}
replaceWithCosby();

This is great!
I linked it to a friend and well, there's now a Chrome extension version.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Angryhead posted:

This is great!
I linked it to a friend and well, there's now a Chrome extension version.

Aaaaand Something Awful just got better

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Dad Jokes posted:

code:

for(var i=0; i &lt; images.length; i++){
        var image = images[i];
    }
}
replaceWithCosby();

Awesome. Feature request: detect if an image is already a picture of Cosby and, if so, don't replace it.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Additionally please replace any profanity with zips, zops and zoops.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Here is a Greasemonkey script for Firefox users: Luv Cosby.

I'm limited by the way Greasemonkey scripts are loaded so it will load the page first and then start replacing all the images with Cosby.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

Additionally please replace any profanity with zips, zops and zoops.

I'm envisioning a fully functional word filter. Complete with puddin pops, jello, ghost dads, and clippity cloppity.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Aaaaand Something Awful just got better

Cosby AV looking pretty good.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

My little Java OpenGL 2D engine is starting to resemble something usable!

MarsMattel
May 25, 2001

God, I've heard about those cults Ted. People dressing up in black and saying Our Lord's going to come back and save us all.
I've been working on a level of detail system for my voxel renderer. Its not quite fast enough and uses to much memory but it mostly works:

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

MarsMattel posted:

I've been working on a level of detail system for my voxel renderer. Its not quite fast enough and uses to much memory but it mostly works:

What is the source of the data; is the data a real-world sample or generated?

MarsMattel
May 25, 2001

God, I've heard about those cults Ted. People dressing up in black and saying Our Lord's going to come back and save us all.
I use a ridged multifractal 2D noise plus a high frequency noise 2D, scaled 80:20. That gives me a heightmap, which I can use to fake a density field. For any 3D point x,y,z density = y - (heightmap(x,z) * MAX_HEIGHT).

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

munce posted:

Can i ask what made you like what you saw? how much was based purely on nostalgia for the old game vs the gameplay shown?

It's incredibly clever, although probably not my kind of game

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
First time posting something in a long while. I've started work on a BSP File parser:

So far, loading planes, vertices and edges and thats all. Surprisingly the documentation is quite useful.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

An achievement calendar I am making for mobile browsers. Currently non-functional, but you can see how it actually looks in a browser here:
http://bit.ly/1hJbJgy

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev
Cross pic post from Making Games Megathread....

I've been working like a dog for 3 months on a huge new update for my game NeonXSZ. If you haven't heard of it before it's a cyberspace spaceship dogfighter. Think Quake meets Descent with some Diablo thrown in and then dump the whole thing into Tron with a rocket up it's rear end.

Here's the fruits of my labor in pic form:

Even better news, the game got Greenlit yesterday!

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Vankwish posted:

Cross pic post from Making Games Megathread....

I've been working like a dog for 3 months on a huge new update for my game NeonXSZ. If you haven't heard of it before it's a cyberspace spaceship dogfighter. Think Quake meets Descent with some Diablo thrown in and then dump the whole thing into Tron with a rocket up it's rear end.

Here's the fruits of my labor in pic form:

Even better news, the game got Greenlit yesterday!

I've been watching your progress for a long while now and this is some pretty wicked sick stuff. It looks like you've added some new crafts, yeah? Man, every time you post screenshots I think of how awesome it looks, but remarkably it somehow looks better and better each time. Most importantly, the game is fun as hell! Congrats on getting Greenlit!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Mapping project, d3.js + topojson + music. I've done d3 stuff before, but not anything with regards to cartography or topojson, so that's been interesting to play with. It's pretty awesome how simple it is to get a map going.

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

Woodsy Owl posted:

I've been watching your progress for a long while now and this is some pretty wicked sick stuff. It looks like you've added some new crafts, yeah? Man, every time you post screenshots I think of how awesome it looks, but remarkably it somehow looks better and better each time. Most importantly, the game is fun as hell! Congrats on getting Greenlit!

No new crafts. I try to limit what I show in screenshots so that those who eventually play have plenty of surprises. So I generally show off the same ships and areas. This time I needed to show off a couple of the new areas though because that's what the latest update was all about - adding new environments and challenge arenas.

Thanks for the support. Do you have the game on Desura? Sounds like you've played it.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I spilled a drink on my keyboard earlier this week and was worried if that killed any buttons. Since I couldn't find a direct way to test it, I decided it'd be the perfect way to learn Dreamweaver/HTML5/CSS3. I got that part down, now it's just a matter of getting the button presses registered and shown. I'm going to try and do it using Jquery/Ajax, but that's something for tomorrow.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
Making an Asteroids Clone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Vankwish posted:

No new crafts. I try to limit what I show in screenshots so that those who eventually play have plenty of surprises. So I generally show off the same ships and areas. This time I needed to show off a couple of the new areas though because that's what the latest update was all about - adding new environments and challenge arenas.

Thanks for the support. Do you have the game on Desura? Sounds like you've played it.

Yeah I had it on Desura about maybe a month ago? Is the version available for DL now the most updated version?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

Mapping project, d3.js + topojson + music. I've done d3 stuff before, but not anything with regards to cartography or topojson, so that's been interesting to play with. It's pretty awesome how simple it is to get a map going.

'sup d3.js + topojson buddy! I made a thing for the united way at a thing last weekend.

They and a group in town that tries to get people to hire immigrants wanted a neighbourhood map that let people visualize what ethnic background people have so that they could try and convince businesses to hire more diverse sets of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

'sup d3.js + topojson buddy! I made a thing for the united way at a thing last weekend.

They and a group in town that tries to get people to hire immigrants wanted a neighbourhood map that let people visualize what ethnic background people have so that they could try and convince businesses to hire more diverse sets of people.

Nice. Although it may be interesting to represent the % breakdown visually as well as hard numbers, just to make scanning easier.

Also: my thing has music now