Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Caballeros are good, if you're Spanish. Building a light cavalry retinue when it isn't your cultural retinue, and thus gets a big bonus is probably dumb. I've experimented with different types of Retinues, and they're all good in their own way, aside from maybe non-cultural Light Cavalry. Think about what you're having trouble with, who your enemies are, and so on, and build retinues that way. I mean, if you're not just being boring and building your cultural retinues.

Like, if your enemy has castles up the wazoo and is just plain annoying to try to siege down? Build a crap ton of archers. Unfortunately, the game is obtuse mechanics wise, and you have to utilize your strengths and your enemy's weaknesses, and that can be really tricky to figure out. Light Cavalry is pretty high on the list of wonky-rear end units. Your best bet for these guys isn't getting into a big fight, but blitzkrieging your enemies at the start of the war and massacring their levies before they have time to mass. You have to aggressively target smaller units, because when Light Cavalry wins, it wins big. Whereas with a different army comp, you'd probably want to be sitting around, waiting for your superior troops to win one big fight and then just ping-pong the enemy for a while.

God, I hate to say it, but you should probably actually think of fights even deeper than that and lord knows I don't, because -gently caress- that noise, and start using the split unit tabs after a big fight. Pull out your light cavalry and have them pursue other dudes while your other guys sit on a holding and siege it down. That way you're accomplishing two goals at the same time. But that's micromanaging to an almost crazy-person degree and I cannot wholly endorse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

SynthOrange posted:

Alright, so started playing against after my uncle crushed me and took over my position. I'm now in his place and looking at his 2k man army. His maximum army levies are only about 1300 men. I'm not seeing any mercenaries in there. Where did all these extra men come from?

Wait, I inherited 500+ gold as well. Where the gently caress did all this gold come from?!

Those are free event troops he got when he started his campaign to oust you. Not sure where the gold came from, maybe the same event.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ChikoDemono posted:

Those are free event troops he got when he started his campaign to oust you. Not sure where the gold came from, maybe the same event.

I'd like to know that as well, I ended up with 500 gold early game after getting elected Doge, no war, no nuthin'

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Allyn posted:

I honestly don't think many cultural ones are bad. Basically gently caress Light Cav (can be fine if mixed with Horse Archers like some of the Altaic cultures get, because Horse Archer are crazy strong) and Light Inf. Greek Cataphracts and English/Welsh longbows are personal favourites (and for just about everyone, really). I've seen people swear by Pikemen but I've never tried them myself. Arabian Camel ones are terrible, worst in the game (although I haven't looked at them since Camels became their own unit type in RoI, but I can't imagine they tweaked the numbers that much when separating them out from Light Cav).

But my personal thing, when not playing Greek/English/Welsh, is to just build up the skirmish retinue though. It's 600 points for 500 men, and building up a stack of 10k of them allows you to instantly assault anything for very few losses -- archers do an enormous amount of morale damage when assaulting a holding, so you'll take even the most built up castle inside a week, usually 3 ticks or so. They're absolute trash in combat but that's beside the point, being able to run in and smash some border provinces for cheap warscore (and prevent a ticking warscore) has enormous value. They're also really strong early game against pagans because you can assault and run out to minimise the attrition penalty.

After that, if you're big enough, then just go hog wild with your cultural retinue, or do a mix of the knight retinue with the shock one for a super strong melee phase. (But once you get past 10k you're strong enough for it to not really matter, to be honest.) It's kinda hard to do badly with retinues full stop, really, most of them are workable.

Pure Heavy Infantry retinues are worth getting, especially Huscarls.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

As Byzantines, is there a better way to get a CB on Rome than Fabricate claim?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Baron Porkface posted:

Nope

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Invite the pope's bastard to your court.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Robindaybird posted:

I'd like to know that as well, I ended up with 500 gold early game after getting elected Doge, no war, no nuthin'

Your heir inherits gold when you die.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
There's no way to split up fleets into smaller parts right? I have to use my entire fleet of 200 ships, which costs an assload of money, to ferry around my 2000 dudes. :sigh:

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Convert to Catholicism and create an antipope. Or Islam and Holy War! Or Norse and coastal conquest! If you're looking for a conquest of Rome, though, make sure if you control the two provinces below it (I think it's the Duchy of Capua) that there is a count directly below Rome and a Duke in the province below him as his liege. Seeing as they both border Rome, they'll both try and fabricate claims on it as well, so you can just press their claims if you're worried about the expense of fabricating claims.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

There's no way to split up fleets into smaller parts right? I have to use my entire fleet of 200 ships, which costs an assload of money, to ferry around my 2000 dudes. :sigh:

Are you raising your fleets from the one province? If so, I don't think so. Also, always raise vassal fleets if it's possible. Those guys have to pay for them and you're laughing all the way to the bank (with vassals too poor to rise up against you). If you're a Catholic Republic, it might be worth hiring a mercenary fleet as I'm fairly sure the mercenary fleets cost the same gold per month to use as regular ones.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 20, 2014

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

Merchant Republics are fun to play. I originally didn't like them as I felt there wasn't a lot to do. In this game, I started as a merchant republic, left it to form my own, conquered two kingdoms, spread orthodoxy everywhere, married into every great house in Europe, but I think my greatest feat is having 4 simultaneous lovers while my wife adores me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

THIS BLOODLINE IS CURSED.

So after being backstabbed by the uncle, then becoming that uncle, I had to put down another relative's attempt at the throne. Then he died in his sleep. A few months later, his son and heir ALSO dies in his sleep. Now his son inherits the petty kingdom of Brittany, arranges a marriage to the princess of bavaria. Pretty sweet. I get a call to arms the moment I'm married so I think, why not. I send a token force of 800 men to help with the fight. Get ambushed out of the fog of war by a 3000 man army which stomps me into the ground and I get a ridiculous head wound that renders me incapable, leading to the loss of all my troops, and no I havent had any children yet.

This game.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Hey, CK2 Goons who don't hang out in the other Paradox threads:
The EU4 Multiplayer Goons have just started a weekly CK2 multiplayer game for 8PM GMT on Saturdays. We played up to the mid-900s and had very few issues. It's a lot of fun!

Players are Khazaria, Svidjod, Jorvik, Arabia, Burgundy, and less successful Brittany (The Brittany you see is not the dynasty he played :ssh:) and Ormond. There were some other guys too but I forget who they were.
Anyway, the more the merrier. So if any of you guys want to try multiplayer, check out the thread I linked and join our Steam group, then show up on Saturday. Hope to see some of you there!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp, King Comatose died in bed. His heir is married to his cousin.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm holding rome but the pope still has three holding there and I can't declare war on him because the option is gone for some reason, how do I unite the schism now?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

What do you do when you win a crusade for a kingdom that is in the crosshairs of a terrifying Arabian empire? Give it all to the pope:

I'm sure he won't mind me taking a few ducats for my trouble...

I'd like to say I bankrupt him but I only took him from 45k down to 15k. Pope money is ridiculous.

Bonus: He lost it all five years later.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Welp, King Comatose died in bed. His heir is married to his cousin.

You're never penalized if you don't send troops to help your allies. Just play lip service and don't raise any troops.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

The entire Hashimid sultanate has fallen. After a failed revolt by some Omani emir who shall remain nameless that should absolutely not have been embarked on because the ruler was craven, the Shia sultanate of the Samoudahids came rushing in. They are just crushing everyone in their path from Georgia to Arabia, from Egypt to Persia. Some how the Abbasids are still around but they're definitely outnumbered.

It doesn't help that after the war Oman was broken up into it's five component parts (the sixth is still held by the Abbasids) and despite being within a hair's breadth of taking the one territory that would've given me cause to create it, the Shia caliph swoops in, creates the duchy himself, and hands it over to my father. The Mahrids have spent more than a hundred years running that! Just because everyone else is falling over themselves to convert doesn't mean I'm going to anytime soon.

I'll probably see this game through since it's on Ironman and I'm getting achievements but I can finally understand where everyone is coming from in bitching about the save times, they really interrupt the flow of the game. I'll have to find a more powerful person to get some conquest going the next time around. When people talk about uniting huge empires and conquering so many areas in such a short time, I'm assuming you start out as an already powerful king/emperor and not some dinky count, right? I just don't see how you can conquer such huge areas in such a short period of time since it takes me at least 6 months just to knock down one holding.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm holding rome but the pope still has three holding there and I can't declare war on him because the option is gone for some reason, how do I unite the schism now?

Yeah, that's a new bug. Try to get him to inherit one of the castles in Rome through liberal application of stabbings, then declare war for every other holding, then take the castle.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ChikoDemono posted:

You're never penalized if you don't send troops to help your allies. Just play lip service and don't raise any troops.

Don't you lose some prestige for being on the losing side in a war?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

I don't think you do, unless something's changed recently.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

occipitallobe posted:

Are you raising your fleets from the one province? If so, I don't think so. Also, always raise vassal fleets if it's possible. Those guys have to pay for them and you're laughing all the way to the bank (with vassals too poor to rise up against you). If you're a Catholic Republic, it might be worth hiring a mercenary fleet as I'm fairly sure the mercenary fleets cost the same gold per month to use as regular ones.

Yea, I'm a playing as Gotland and I can either raise 200+ ships from the island itself or like 20 from minor provinces I've conquered. It's always either too few or too many.

Just to make sure: If I keep Gotland out of the duchy it belongs to, de jure, it'll eventually drop out of it right? Because the dukes have given me quite a bit of trouble lately.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

cock hero flux posted:

Don't you lose some prestige for being on the losing side in a war?

I think you lose prestige if you participate, but not if all you do is accept the call to arms.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
What's everyone's opinion on Byzantines converting to Catholicism? Having a vassal pope when you form Rome would be a nice bonus, and it would actually let you do things to other realms, unlike Orthodox's autonomous patriarchs. But I'd lose out on mending the Schism.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Yea, I'm a playing as Gotland and I can either raise 200+ ships from the island itself or like 20 from minor provinces I've conquered. It's always either too few or too many.

Just to make sure: If I keep Gotland out of the duchy it belongs to, de jure, it'll eventually drop out of it right? Because the dukes have given me quite a bit of trouble lately.

Yeah, titular titles work just like others - if you hold Gotland for 100 years it should drift into being de jure part of the Duchy of Gotland.

Cantorsdust posted:

What's everyone's opinion on Byzantines converting to Catholicism? Having a vassal pope when you form Rome would be a nice bonus, and it would actually let you do things to other realms, unlike Orthodox's autonomous patriarchs. But I'd lose out on mending the Schism.

Catholic mercenaries and Holy Orders are so much better, Catholic excommunications are far more powerful, and a vassal Pope allows you to fabricate claims and get cash, making him so much better than vassal Patriarchs. It also makes it easier to pick up those pesky duchies in North Italy to reform the Roman Empire. Your vassals lose out on bishop-vassal income, but on the whole it's a massive power boost to the point of being broken.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Okay, this is weird.

I'm the independent Serene Republic of Finland. I own the duchy/republic of Gotland, of course, and the kingdom + duchy of Finland. I want to grant the duchy of Finland to a vassal, which I made count. Yet it doesn't show up in the menu, the only duchy/republic I can hand out is Gotland and that would mean granting lands I don't want him to have.

e: Ahahaha I can request money from the pope, donate it to one of the holy orders and use the 300 piety to request more money. :shepface:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 20, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Veryslightlymad posted:

Light Cavalry is pretty high on the list of wonky-rear end units. Your best bet for these guys isn't getting into a big fight, but blitzkrieging your enemies at the start of the war and massacring their levies before they have time to mass. You have to aggressively target smaller units, because when Light Cavalry wins, it wins big. Whereas with a different army comp, you'd probably want to be sitting around, waiting for your superior troops to win one big fight and then just ping-pong the enemy for a while.

Yeah. Just to add a theory perspective to this, the problem with Light Cav is that its strengths lie wholly in the Pursuit phase- which only matter once you have already won the battle. In Melee, the main event and (barring a successful Massive Longbow Volley), the part you actually need to win to get to Pursuit, they're mediocre at best. And they have lovely morale.

You're right about ping-pong with other comps, by the way. With Pike (I love Pike :3:), any low-morale stack just bounces off you. You're actually smarter to wait and let them regroup before finishing broken troops off. Dose battle result screens, though... :allears:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Cantorsdust posted:

Do both -- mend the schism, become a Catholic heretic, have Catholicism supplant Orthodoxy as the primary religion, have vassal pope, make all the money, be Rome, crush everything :getin:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Okay, this is weird.

I'm the independent Serene Republic of Finland. I own the duchy/republic of Gotland, of course, and the kingdom + duchy of Finland. I want to grant the duchy of Finland to a vassal, which I made count. Yet it doesn't show up in the menu, the only duchy/republic I can hand out is Gotland and that would mean granting lands I don't want him to have.

e: Ahahaha I can request money from the pope, donate it to one of the holy orders and use the 300 piety to request more money. :shepface:

Is the Duchy of Finland your capital? You can't give away your capital city as a Merchant Republic, nor change your capital.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Is the Duchy of Finland your capital? You can't give away your capital city as a Merchant Republic, nor change your capital.

Actually, the game says I can change my capital to Finland (the province) since it's the capital province of the kingdom. I guess that's the reason I can't grant it to anyone, too. Which sucks because Gotland is nicely upgraded and Finland is a shithole as usual.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah. Just to add a theory perspective to this, the problem with Light Cav is that its strengths lie wholly in the Pursuit phase- which only matter once you have already won the battle. In Melee, the main event and (barring a successful Massive Longbow Volley), the part you actually need to win to get to Pursuit, they're mediocre at best. And they have lovely morale.

You're right about ping-pong with other comps, by the way. With Pike (I love Pike :3:), any low-morale stack just bounces off you. You're actually smarter to wait and let them regroup before finishing broken troops off. Dose battle result screens, though... :allears:

Yeah, with my 10,000 strong Scots pike retinue I'll still only kill off about 300 guys if the enemy stack has no morale when the battle begins.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
In that case, maybe it makes sense to mix in a few off-type units? I was thinking about adding a few skirmishers to my housecarls, for example - I seem to remember there being some good tactics that were more likely with some archers mixed into all the heavy infantry.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Bobfly posted:

In that case, maybe it makes sense to mix in a few off-type units? I was thinking about adding a few skirmishers to my housecarls, for example - I seem to remember there being some good tactics that were more likely with some archers mixed into all the heavy infantry.

Feint seems really good. That's Archers + Heavy Infantry, I think.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Cantorsdust posted:

If you avoid vassal kings, having the Ecumenical Patriarch in your pocket is nearly as good as having the Pope. It's really easy to deal with troublesome vassals if you can excommunicate them.

Taking the rest of the Christian nations can be done by holy warring heretics or becoming a heretic yourself.
Of course, the lack of holy wars for expansion goes away once you reform the Roman empire, since the Imperial Reconquest CB is pretty useful.

occipitallobe posted:

Yeah, titular titles work just like others - if you hold Gotland for 100 years it should drift into being de jure part of the Duchy of Gotland.

Counties cannot de-jure drift, and I'm not sure titular duchies can de-jure drift into Kingdoms, since I think titular Kingdoms can't drift into empires until they have de-jure land.

quote:

Catholic mercenaries and Holy Orders are so much better, Catholic excommunications are far more powerful,

The Catholic holy orders can form for any of the original catholic heresies too. However, this ignores the mending of the schism, so they won't form for Orthodoxy or its heresies.

quote:

and a vassal Pope allows you to fabricate claims and get cash, making him so much better than vassal Patriarchs. It also makes it easier to pick up those pesky duchies in North Italy to reform the Roman Empire. Your vassals lose out on bishop-vassal income, but on the whole it's a massive power boost to the point of being broken.

I usually find excommunication of vassals is sufficient, and that can be adequately dealt with by avoiding vassal Kings.

Cash can be adequately gained and also weaken your vassals at the same time by repeatedly imprisoning and ransoming excommunicated vassals.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Edison was a dick posted:

Counties cannot de-jure drift, and I'm not sure titular duchies can de-jure drift into Kingdoms, since I think titular Kingdoms can't drift into empires until they have de-jure land.

I think he's playing as the Republic of Gotland (titular duchy) which will in time have the county of Gotland drift into it de jure.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I can only imagine what an adventurer thought he could gain by accepting my invitation to court. Thanks for making it easy. :ese:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It bugs the hell out of me that Persians get the Horse Archer cultural retinue but don't get the cultural tactics to go with it. I mean I play this as a game first so I'll generally just make a Turkish or Mongol guy in Ruler Designer, but it's kind of a drag since the Persian noble titles sound cooler.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Allyn posted:

I honestly don't think many cultural ones are bad. Basically gently caress Light Cav (can be fine if mixed with Horse Archers like some of the Altaic cultures get, because Horse Archer are crazy strong) and Light Inf. Greek Cataphracts and English/Welsh longbows are personal favourites (and for just about everyone, really). I've seen people swear by Pikemen but I've never tried them myself. Arabian Camel ones are terrible, worst in the game (although I haven't looked at them since Camels became their own unit type in RoI, but I can't imagine they tweaked the numbers that much when separating them out from Light Cav).

But my personal thing, when not playing Greek/English/Welsh, is to just build up the skirmish retinue though. It's 600 points for 500 men, and building up a stack of 10k of them allows you to instantly assault anything for very few losses -- archers do an enormous amount of morale damage when assaulting a holding, so you'll take even the most built up castle inside a week, usually 3 ticks or so. They're absolute trash in combat but that's beside the point, being able to run in and smash some border provinces for cheap warscore (and prevent a ticking warscore) has enormous value. They're also really strong early game against pagans because you can assault and run out to minimise the attrition penalty.

After that, if you're big enough, then just go hog wild with your cultural retinue, or do a mix of the knight retinue with the shock one for a super strong melee phase. (But once you get past 10k you're strong enough for it to not really matter, to be honest.) It's kinda hard to do badly with retinues full stop, really, most of them are workable.

I've been using Camels in RoI and they're actually pretty decent now. Statwise they're like heavy infantry who aren't completely worthless during the skirmish phase. They didn't have any tactics assigned to them originally but I think that's fixed now.

As for retinues, basically always use your cultural retinues (I usually throw in some skirmish as well for better besieging) unless it's defensive light cavalry or light infantry. Offensive light cavalry aren't too terrible, as light cav is basically an all-out offence troop anyway it's basically boosting the one thing they're good at.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Do you guys ever play from the TOG start date to the time limit? I was planning to do that, but now I am approaching the regular start date and Im already almost out of goals.

I started as the independent norse Jarl of Novrogod, became King of Rus, expanded fast praying on my weaker pagan neighbours, converted to Orthodox in 960, proceeded conquering the pagans around, changed to primogeniture and absolute-cognatic (Ive changed the game to allow that to orthodox). Now all that is left is to form the russian empire, and Im probably a just few provinces away of that.

What can I do after that? There are still almost 400 years of gameplay ahead. My plan was to play to the end and then export to EU4, but I fear I will grown terribly bored.

My nation is just too big to fail right now, I just have to manage the internal politics (bribe everyone) to keep the nobles happy and use my huge army against the occasional peasant revolt. Both are very easy, considering Im swimming in money and have a 4K retinue, just tiresome (considering how huge my realm is).

On external politics, the only nation who could beat me is the Byzantine empire, but they have been my allies since I converted to orthodox. There is no HRE. I could keep preying Cumania or I could advance over western europe, but there is no real challenge in any of that. And all the strong muslin states are too far and being contained by the byzantines.

What else could I do?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Elias_Maluco posted:

Do you guys ever play from the TOG start date to the time limit? I was planning to do that, but now I am approaching the regular start date and Im already almost out of goals.

I started as the independent norse Jarl of Novrogod, became King of Rus, expanded fast praying on my weaker pagan neighbours, converted to Orthodox in 960, proceeded conquering the pagans around, changed to primogeniture and absolute-cognatic (Ive changed the game to allow that to orthodox). Now all that is left is to form the russian empire, and Im probably a just few provinces away of that.

What can I do after that? There are still almost 400 years of gameplay ahead. My plan was to play to the end and then export to EU4, but I fear I will grown terribly bored.

My nation is just too big to fail right now, I just have to manage the internal politics (bribe everyone) to keep the nobles happy and use my huge army against the occasional peasant revolt. Both are very easy, considering Im swimming in money and have a 4K retinue, just tiresome (considering how huge my realm is).

On external politics, the only nation who could beat me is the Byzantine empire, but they have been my allies since I converted to orthodox. There is no HRE. I could keep preying Cumania or I could advance over western europe, but there is no real challenge in any of that. And all the strong muslin states are too far and being contained by the byzantines.

What else could I do?

Wait for Mongols and/or Sunset Invasion if you have that installed?

Speaking of which, have people actually had successful Aztec invasions in their games? Mine mostly peter out after they conquer Britannia and then they convert to Catholicism.

• Locked thread