Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

forbidden lesbian posted:

Kill all of humanity, let the octopi Cthulhu take over.

Fixed to represent the need for a :krakken:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

It's just even more blatant than lying about global warming though! You don't even have to look at a graph to know it's a bunch of lovely lies right? Like, you could just think: Wasn't the minimum wage raised a few times before and the economy didn't collapse and my village wasn't burned; so raising the minimum wage now probably wouldn't cause those things.

Haha look at me thinking that Republicans would stop and think for even a second.

This is a big problem. People around me at work; even the older ones; are not really aware that minimum wage increases are something that had to happen to get the wage where it is today. And those that are aware believe we are lucky that the last one didn't cause more trouble.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

reignofevil posted:

This is a big problem. People around me at work; even the older ones; are not really aware that minimum wage increases are something that had to happen to get the wage where it is today. And those that are aware believe we are lucky that the last one didn't cause more trouble.

And probably a good many of them think the minimum wage is perfectly generous as-is because they made $7,000 or something in their first year of work because the human brain has a huge blind spot for compounding functions.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

reignofevil posted:

That's probably true. I have met a few people that couldn't answer me when I asked them "What about the last few minimum wage hikes?" I have also linked people to numerous studies including one from loving PRINCETON that shows minimum wage hikes don't hurt the economy.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

ratbert90 posted:

How can Republicans with a straight face keep trying to shill the myth that raising the minimum wage will make people lose jobs? When in reality every single loving time the minimum wage has been raised, that hasn't been true at all and in fact almost every single loving time the minimum wage has been raised, it's been GOOD for the loving economy?

Not much truly pisses me off when it comes to Republican rhetoric anymore, but this bold face lovely lie is one of the few that truly make me red in the face.

The econ 101 explanation is that it decreases employment at the margins. If I have a job opening that will give me $10 an hour, I would be willing to hire someone to fill that position at any wage rate less than $10 an hour. Minimum wage cuts into these potential jobs, and decreases the number of legally available positions to be filled.

Of course in this example, I currently have employees who give me much more than $10 an hour, and these employees won't necessarily be fired if minimum wage rises. They will have more income to spend, and if they spend that money at my business, it will increase my business's income and by extension, the number of potential marginal employees I can hire.

This analysis requires more than econ 101, but like hell the Republicans are going to put that much effort into decreasing inequality.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Whiskey Sours posted:

The econ 101 explanation is that it decreases employment at the margins. If I have a job opening that will give me $10 an hour, I would be willing to hire someone to fill that position at any wage rate less than $10 an hour. Minimum wage cuts into these potential jobs, and decreases the number of legally available positions to be filled.

Of course in this example, I currently have employees who give me much more than $10 an hour, and these employees won't necessarily be fired if minimum wage rises. They will have more income to spend, and if they spend that money at my business, it will increase my business's income and by extension, the number of potential marginal employees I can hire.

This analysis requires more than econ 101, but like hell the Republicans are going to put that much effort into decreasing inequality.

That also implies the same thinking that the cost of goods are directly tied into the cost of the employee. Humans are terrible at thinking critically.

You want me to double the cost of employees? DOUBLE THE COST OF THE BIGMAC!*

*Ignores the cost of employees is only 10% of total business expenditures and the bigmac already makes a 35%+ profit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ratbert90 posted:

It's just even more blatant than lying about global warming though! You don't even have to look at a graph to know it's a bunch of lovely lies right? Like, you could just think: Wasn't the minimum wage raised a few times before and the economy didn't collapse and my village wasn't burned; so raising the minimum wage now probably wouldn't cause those things.

Haha look at me thinking that Republicans would stop and think for even a second.

You misunderstand, they do think. It's just that they only think about things from the frame of reference of privileged job creators. That forced wage increase is a monstrous theft of their money which they certainly never benefited from. Why if they can bootstrap their way to wealth from the humble beginnings of a son of ivy league graduates with enough disposable income to finance a luxurious entry into adulthood, then anyone can do it.

Remember Mitt and Anne Romney knew what it was like to be poor, having sold off bits of Mitt's birthday stock to finance their college living arrangements. Hell Neil Cavuto famously bitched about how back in his day 16 year olds got $2 an hour and were happy, which when adjusted for inflation is greater than the current minimum wage.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

That also implies the same thinking that the cost of goods are directly tied into the cost of the employee. Humans are terrible at thinking critically.

You want me to double the cost of employees? DOUBLE THE COST OF THE BIGMAC!*

*Ignores the cost of employees is only 10% of total business expenditures and the bigmac already makes a 35%+ profit.

I'm not disagreeing with the general point but it should be noted that labor as a percentage of costs isn't the full story since some percentage of the labor cost of the suppliers is tied up in the things they sell to McDonald's.

I'm just pointing this out because acting like only one business' workers is affected by a minimum wage increase gives people an argument of "well McDonald's has to pay more for materials if the truck loaders and lettuce pickers get paid more money too so your point is moot, checkmate liberals :smug:".

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Gyges posted:

Remember Mitt and Anne Romney knew what it was like to be poor, having sold off bits of Mitt's birthday stock to finance their college living arrangements. Hell Neil Cavuto famously bitched about how back in his day 16 year olds got $2 an hour and were happy, which when adjusted for inflation is greater than the current minimum wage.
My father tried pulling that poo poo.

"I was lucky to make 100 dollars a week working full time."

"Wow, you could pay for a semester of college with one week's pay? That's amazing, you guys really had it easy."

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I think this is where my dad started turning politically, when he realized that, during the wondrous Bush era he'd supported, I was unable to make enough money working in the restaurant industry full-time to pay for a public college. He paid his tuition to the same school working in a junk yard.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

IIRC in 2008 McCain had a few "has no idea how much the proles make" moments. My favorite was the debate at the small liberal arts college where he strongly implied that a large number of the faculty would be affected by Obama's plan to raise taxes on people making over $250,000/yr. I think he also thought farm workers got paid $100/hr.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

De Nomolos posted:

I think this is where my dad started turning politically, when he realized that, during the wondrous Bush era he'd supported, I was unable to make enough money working in the restaurant industry full-time to pay for a public college. He paid his tuition to the same school working in a junk yard.

Education costs have dramatically outpaced minimum wage levels over the past 30 years:

quote:

In 1979, a four-year private college required 1,112 hours of work at the minimum wage. By 2010, the cost in minimum-wage hours had increased so much that it was no longer possible to pay for a full year of a private four-year college — 3,201 hours — by working full-year, full-time (2,080 hours) at the minimum wage.

Even the minimum-wage hours needed to pay tuition for one year at a two-year college almost tripled between 1979 and 2010, from 156 hours to 403 hours.
Source

Got a minimum wage job? Maybe you should've went to college. Couldn't afford college on minimum wage? I don't know, maybe sell a kidney? You can't sell a kidney? Thanks OBAMACARE. :sweatdrop:

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

IIRC in 2008 McCain had a few "has no idea how much the proles make" moments. My favorite was the debate at the small liberal arts college where he strongly implied that a large number of the faculty would be affected by Obama's plan to raise taxes on people making over $250,000/yr. I think he also thought farm workers got paid $100/hr.

Mitt Romney betting Rick Perry 10 loving grand was pretty telling. Good call, offer a bet worth half what some people make in an entire year as though it were 5 bucks.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mo_Steel posted:

Mitt Romney betting Rick Perry 10 loving grand was pretty telling. Good call, offer a bet worth half what some people make in an entire year as though it were 5 bucks.

I could see a middle-class person making a ten thousand dollar bet in a "I'm so convinced I'm right that I'm willing to stake my life savings on it" kind of way and maybe Mitt thought that saying that would come off more like a strong conviction and less like "10 grand means nothing to me". Not that I think that's particularly likely but I'm pretty sure his camp was aware of his reputation for not really having any convictions at all and so it's at least possible that he was just (badly) coached to make it sound like he believed in something.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I could see a middle-class person making a ten thousand dollar bet in a "I'm so convinced I'm right that I'm willing to stake my life savings on it" kind of way and maybe Mitt thought that saying that would come off more like a strong conviction and less like "10 grand means nothing to me". Not that I think that's particularly likely but I'm pretty sure his camp was aware of his reputation for not really having any convictions at all and so it's at least possible that he was just (badly) coached to make it sound like he believed in something.

Maybe, but every time that's ever happened to me in real life it's been "I'll bet you a million loving dollars" because the point is to make it extraordinarily absurd.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Heh, I literally made a 10 grand bet on Obama beating Romney on inTrade.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

Maybe, but every time that's ever happened to me in real life it's been "I'll bet you a million loving dollars" because the point is to make it extraordinarily absurd.

The point is that Mitt Romney shouldn't be making bets, because 1) they highlight how much of a rich, out-of-touch plutocrat he is, and 2) He's Mormon, and betting is highly frowned upon in Mormon culture. Mitt was the LDS golden boy (except for us few Mormon progressives) and so he got away with it, but for any other Mormon presidential candidates, that kind of bet would raise a few eyebrows, at least. Huntsman probably would have been dinged a bit.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't understand it because I pay my employees like 30 bucks an hour to do work that's easy as poo poo and it doesn't impact me that much. I could definitely pay people 15 an hour and they would be making great money, but why the gently caress would I want to treat my employees like expendable trash? Saying that raising the minimum wage will hurt businesses is such a crock of poo poo. It's pure loving greed. period.

You hiring?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mo_Steel posted:

Hey now I'll have you know some of my best friends own NASCAR teams!:mad:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Heh, I literally made a 10 grand bet on Obama beating Romney on inTrade.

Didn't Arkane make something like a hundred grand betting on the election?

Anyway lots of rich people have no idea what middle class is or what its like not being Mega-rich. These people often think a person making several hundred thousand yearly is middle class. Not to mention we should probably be more concerned with our working/lower class then those in the middle since the former out number everyone.

Edit: Also McCain's best out of touch moment was not being able to remember how many houses he owned.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Earth posted:

You hiring?

I would move states to work for you.

Do you drug test?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Earth posted:

You hiring?

I don't have need for a ton of people right now because I already have around 30 people on call depending on where I need work done, (my "territory" stretches from Winchester VA to DC and down to Charlottesville, and DC all the way south to Newport News) and I also don't want to derail the topic with employment-chat. That being said I might have need of more people in the future. I'll make it known when that happens.

/derail

edit: who the gently caress wants to pay to have people tested for drugs? Either you can do your job or you can't, and it's pretty easy to tell which it is after a few hours. It's a waste of money and time. It also makes people feel like criminals. It's stupid.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Guys I'm pretty sure Terra Firmas got a Meth empire.

You need good muscle? I may not look it but I can break bones really well.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Guys I'm pretty sure Terra Firmas got a Meth empire.

If only.

I also want to let people know that I'm not trying to go "I'm a business OWNER i'm IMPORTANT" or anything. I just feel like not enough people who run their own show do enough to speak for those of us who aren't trying to actively screw over the people that work for us. There's a lot of "eat the rich" going on in here. I don't take full credit for my success because I have a lot of things going in my favor, but it's a little troubling to think that someone in my position can't have a liberal perspective and must be eaten along with the rest of the rich. I'm not rich yet though so I think I'm safe.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

On Terra Firma posted:

I'm not rich yet

Then you won't be. So why worry about rich people as if you had something in common with them?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Mo_Steel posted:

It was either in Liar's Poker or FIASCO by Frank Partnoy, but the author recorded that a Wall Street trader betting five or ten thousand was just an ordinary prop bet, as they bet many times that amount every day on whether interest rates would move by .02% or not. But when a trader bets $10, you know it's serious.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hedera Helix posted:

So, the rich are doing away with the convenient fiction of their wealth coming from hard work, as opposed to being inherited. It was only a matter of time before they fully embraced aristocracy, but it's finally happened.

What happens next?

If you read Capital in the 21st Century, this is basically the consequence of allocating so much in the hands of so few. We won't see very many (if any) new rich since all the capital is so concentrated. All we will see are old money families. Basically, it is patrimonial capitalism. With the studies that confirm the US is indeed an oligarchy, we're back in the Victorian Age. So, what's next is things like this grow more and more common. It's going to get worse long before it get better.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Then you won't be. So why worry about rich people as if you had something in common with them?

I don't worry about having anything in common with them, but I am doing exceptionally well for being one year out. I'll leave it at that so as not to start a derail.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

On Terra Firma posted:

If only.

I also want to let people know that I'm not trying to go "I'm a business OWNER i'm IMPORTANT" or anything. I just feel like not enough people who run their own show do enough to speak for those of us who aren't trying to actively screw over the people that work for us. There's a lot of "eat the rich" going on in here. I don't take full credit for my success because I have a lot of things going in my favor, but it's a little troubling to think that someone in my position can't have a liberal perspective and must be eaten along with the rest of the rich. I'm not rich yet though so I think I'm safe.
I think this is a fairly common problem in a lot of fields of endeavor. That said, I once talked to a guy who was the owner of a cupcake business and said he thought of himself as a moderate Republican, but that it was increasingly clear to him that the real enemy of the small businessman wasn't the government, it was the large businessman.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

On Terra Firma posted:

I'm not rich yet though so I think I'm safe.

You are rich. Not wanting to draw attention to it is a good reflex to have but protesting to much draws more attention than just acknowledging it and moving on. Nobody except the tippy top feels unusually wealthy because our communities are groups of economically homogenous structures so everyone around you is always living about as large as you are ... Sometimes on wildly different incomes but If you aren't the tippy top there is alway a more expensive neighborhood to look up to.

Although I'll chime in on how having more than enough money doesn't make you a corrupt, regressive, selfish, rear end in a top hat.

A big part of it is how you were raised. Not letting kids know the family is rich or flat out telling them there will be no inheritance because its all going to charity when dad dies is way better than "one day, this will all be yours" parenting. The former cultivates a work ethic while the latter cultivates an entitled, aristocratic, world view.

You can't respect the work of others when you perceive your own value to be based on who you are rather than what you have done. Which is a huge problem for the born rich and a much lesser problem for the self-made( you can, after all, respect your own work and still not respect anyone else's so the self-made aren't immune. )

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

more friedman units posted:

The first part of that sentence should be seen as a major problem, not an endorsement of the status quo. This is aristocracy with a thin veneer.

I'm not sure the fact that it's easier to convince a few wealthy individuals to contribute to a global health budget than to persuade Congress to allocate more than $100 million to the WHO is a sign of aristocracy. I agree with the general frustration about the increasing concentration of wealth in this country (world) but the answer is not to insist that anything a rich person does is inherently corrupt.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So this is one of the more infuriating articles I've read in a while. And the sad thing is that its about a piece of policy that is actually an improvement from the past.

quote:

Tribal police chief Michael Valenzuela drove through darkened desert streets, turned into a Circle K convenience store and pointed to the spot beyond the reservation line where his officers used to take the non-Indian men who battered Indian women.

“We would literally drive them to the end of the reservation and tell them to beat it,” Valenzuela said. “And hope they didn’t come back that night. They almost always did.”

About three weeks ago, at 2:45 a.m., the tribal police were called to the reservation home of an Indian woman who was allegedly being assaulted in front of her two children. They said her 36-year-old non-Indian husband, Eloy Figueroa Lopez, had pushed her down on the couch and was violently choking her with both hands.

This time, the Yaqui police were armed with a new law that allows Indian tribes, which have their own justice system, to prosecute non-Indians. Instead of driving Lopez to the Circle K and telling him to leave the reservation, they arrested him.

Inside a sand-colored tribal courthouse set here amid the saguaro-dotted land of the Pascua Yaqui people, the law backed by the Obama administration and passed by Congress last year is facing its first critical test.

The Pascua Yaqui, along with two other tribes chosen by the Justice Department for a pilot project allowing the prosecution of non-tribal men, received the go-ahead to begin enforcing the law a year ahead of the country’s other 563 tribes because tribal officials made the case they were able to protect the rights of the accused.

Some members of Congress had fought hard to derail the legislation, arguing that non-Indian men would be unfairly convicted without due process by sovereign nations whose unsophisticated tribal courts were not equal to the American criminal justice system.

“They thought that tribal courts wouldn’t give the non-Indians a fair shake,” said Pascua Yaqui Attorney General Amanda Lomayesva. “Congressmen all were asking, how are non-Indians going to be tried by a group of Indian jurors?”

Against that opposition last year, the Obama administration was able to push through only the narrowest version of a law to prosecute non-Indians. While it covers domestic and dating-violence cases involving Native Americans on the reservation, the law does not give tribes jurisdiction to prosecute child abuse or crimes, including sexual assault, that are committed by non-Indians who are “strangers” to their victims. In addition, the law does not extend to Native American women in Alaska.

“It was a compromise the tribes had to make,” Lomayesva said. “It only partially fixes the problem.”

Still, what will play out over the next months on the Pascua Yaqui reservation is being watched closely by the Justice Department and by all of Indian country. The tribe’s officials are facing intense scrutiny and thorny legal challenges as they prepare for their first prosecution of a non-Indian man.

“Everyone’s feeling pressure about these cases,” said Pascua Yaqui Chief Prosecutor Alfred Urbina. “They’re the first cases. No one wants to screw anything up.”

quote:

Urbina wanted to show Cantor that, as one tribal official put it, “Indians were not still living in teepees” and could dispense justice as fairly as any other court in America.

quote:

The prospect of exposing non-Native Americans to this system upset many Republicans in Congress. Rep. Doc Hastings (R-Wash.) said the legislation made “56 million acres of U.S. soil that happen to be called Indian Country . . . Constitution-free zones where due process and equal protection rights as interpreted and enforced in U.S. courts — do not exist.”

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) said it “would trample on the Bill of Rights of every American who is not a Native American.”

quote:

A member of the Rosebud Sioux tribe, Stoof remembers reading in law school about the 1978 O liphant v. Suquamish Indian Tribe case in which the Supreme Court held that Indian tribes had no legal authority to prosecute non-Indians who committed crimes on reservations.

“I never understood the logic of it,” said Stoof, 57, who wears his long gray hair tied in a ponytail. “The Supreme Court found that tribal courts couldn’t have jurisdiction over non-Indians because they were aliens and strangers. They didn’t participate in the political process, didn’t vote in elections and weren’t residents. And I said, wait a minute, that’s the same that would apply to a New Yorker who commits a crime in Los Angeles.”

For the next nearly four decades, as Stoof served as a lawyer and then a tribal judge on 10 different reservations, he watched in frustration as non-Native American men committed crimes against Indian women and were never punished. The tribes couldn’t prosecute, and the federal government, which did have jurisdiction, wasn’t taking the cases, he said.

“For a long time, the federal government was not prosecuting these crimes and they didn’t have to give any reason for declinations,” Stoof said.

He said this was partly because some reservations are rural outposts and hundreds of miles from a federal courthouse. In other cases, federal officials and the FBI might not trust that the tribal police did a good enough job investigating and preparing the case, he said.

In Stoof’s home state of South Dakota, he said, the federal government declined about 80 percent of assault and battery cases against non-Indians. But Stoof said that the number of cases declined by U.S. attorneys has dropped in recent years because the Justice Department has made an effort to prosecute more cases in Indian country.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ry.html?hpid=z1

Still can't believe that sexual assault isn't covered yet, and the Alaska exemption on its face seems undefensible, but at least some progress is good, right? :smithicide:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

And keep in mind that right now only three of some 500 federally recognized tribes are doing the pilot program, for the rest it's status quo.

I'd have to dig it up again, but I posted an interview with Senator Begich of Alaska in the midterm thread where he goes into some more detail about the Alaska Native exemption. Spoiler, states rights and a lovely attorney general.

Edit: Alaska Natives have always been considered separate from American Indians (I don't know much about native Hawaiians sorry); there's only one reservation in Alaska and the majority of the land belongs to native corporations thanks to Nixon and the ANCSA.

Also, in case your morning wasn't ruined enough already, one in three native women will be raped in her lifetime, and somewhere north of 70%, conservatively, of the rapists ar white men from off rez.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 20, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Axetrain posted:

Didn't Arkane make something like a hundred grand betting on the election?

After being away from the forums for a while after the election, he claimed he made something lie 200K betting on stuff like Romney getting the nomination and Obama winning the general election or something.

I have a bit of a hard time believing it because if it were truly those kind of bets he would probably have had to risk a lot more than that to make that much and it would be crazy to do rather than just investing it in a more conventional way, in my opinion, a lot of risk in case things turned sideways due to unexpected events.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Very unlikely. He'd have had to put down six figures on inTrade Obama/Romney nomination & general election trades given the odds were pretty even for most of election season.
And there's no way he could have bet that much earlier in the season when the odds were skewed - volume was extremely thin.

And judging by his posts on BFC stock picks, he's a relatively smalltime investor so I can't picture him putting the majority of his financial wealth on speculative bets especially since there was so much counterparty risk with inTrade.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Shageletic posted:

So this is one of the more infuriating articles I've read in a while. And the sad thing is that its about a piece of policy that is actually an improvement from the past.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ry.html?hpid=z1

Still can't believe that sexual assault isn't covered yet, and the Alaska exemption on its face seems undefensible, but at least some progress is good, right? :smithicide:

I can't believe that they aren't already allowed to prosecute people. The "but white peoe might not be treated fairly by the tribal justice system" defense is jaw dropping. I also find it darkly amusing that the same justification for not allowing US troops to be subjected to foreign laws is being used for Americans who beat their wives on reservations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SavageBastard posted:

I can't believe that they aren't already allowed to prosecute people. The "but white peoe might not be treated fairly by the tribal justice system" defense is jaw dropping. I also find it darkly amusing that the same justification for not allowing US troops to be subjected to foreign laws is being used for Americans who beat their wives on reservations.

It's funny that it's brought up the way the GOP has done it, because there's literally this fear that being tried in another country is literal hell. Because US justice is so even handed and not at all stilted against minority perps or victims.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
The Board of Trustees at the College of Charleston went off the list of candidates recommended by the search committee and appointed Lt. Gov. Glenn McConnell president.

Who's that? You may ask

Oh look, he's with smiling black people! Surely this guy will be good on diversi---

quote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/01/us-usa-south-carolina-college-idUSBREA301UA20140401

South Carolina college students decry next president's Confederate ties
BY HARRIET MCLEOD
CHARLESTON, South Carolina Tue Apr 1, 2014 3:42pm EDT

(Reuters) - Students and faculty at a liberal arts college in South Carolina are protesting the selection of the state's lieutenant governor as their next president, citing his record as an avid defender of Confederate history.

Students at the College of Charleston have held up signs reading "This is 2014, not 1814" during protests against their new president, known as a Civil War re-enactor and for his fight to keep the Confederate flag flying at the State House.

The College of Charleston's faculty Senate is expected to issue a vote of no confidence Tuesday night in the school's board of trustees for choosing Lieutenant Governor Glenn McConnell to lead the small, public college.

Although a largely symbolic move, it highlights concerns he would hurt the Charleston college's diversity efforts in the state where the American Civil War began after South Carolina and six other states permitting slavery set up the Confederacy in 1861.

McConnell, a longtime state lawmaker who once owned a Confederate memorabilia store, graduated from the College of Charleston in 1969. His selection last month as its next president has roiled the college, which was founded in 1770.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People circulated a 2010 photograph showing McConnell in a Confederate uniform while flanked by two black re-enactors dressed as slaves.

"Will students and faculty of color believe that they are welcome and valued at an institution whose president participates in re-enactment?" said faculty Senate Speaker Lynn Cherry.

McConnell, who served more than 30 years in the state Senate before filling a vacant lieutenant governor's seat in 2012, said he will work to improve diversity efforts at the college, where only about 6 percent of the 11,000 undergraduates are black.

His involvement in Civil War re-enactments is about bringing history to life, he said, noting the unit he belongs to "does both Union and Confederate."

"If you criticize me for loving history, that's a criticism I'll have to bear," he said in a phone interview on Tuesday. "To know where you're going, you have to know where you've been."

McConnell's critics say he fought to keep the Confederate flag's official presence at South Carolina's statehouse in 2000. Supporters credit him with brokering the compromise that removed the flag from atop the statehouse dome and placed it on the grounds, where it still flies.

"To me, the deeper issue is whether Lt. Gov. McConnell is a racist, as some claim," G. Lee Mikell, vice chairman of the college's Board of Trustees, wrote in the Post and Courier newspaper on Tuesday. "I am absolutely convinced he is not."

Supporters say McConnell could sway the state legislature, which has cut higher education budgets for years, to give more money to the college. Last month, the state House voted to cut the College of Charleston's funding by $52,000 because the school assigned gay-themed literature to incoming freshmen.

Those working to improve the college's reputation with minorities remain unconvinced McConnell will help their cause. The school sought to position itself as the only all-white college in South Carolina in the mid-1960s before desegregating later that decade, said professor Joe Kelly, co-director of the president's commission for diversity.

"Black students we are recruiting now, their parents and grandparents remember when they weren't welcome on campus at all," Kelly said. "We are going to have to do more work to sell the case that the college is not an inhospitable place for minority students."

Not racist, guys, just in my confederate memorabilia store selling products by a segregationist who was intentionally boycotted.

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2014/04/03/glenn-mcconnell-began-selling-segregationists-products-in-wake-of-boycott/

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Glenn McConnell posted:

"If you criticize me for loving history, that's a criticism I'll have to bear," he said in a phone interview on Tuesday. "To know where you're going, you have to know where you've been."

"Now, where's my hood and lynchin' rope...?"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

Students at the College of Charleston have held up signs reading "This is 2014, not 1814" during protests against their new president, known as a Civil War re-enactor and for his fight to keep the Confederate flag flying at the State House.

:ughh: 1864, guys, why wouldn't you say 1864. Nice round 150 years, doesn't make you look stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Defenestration posted:

Not racist, guys, just in my confederate memorabilia store selling products by a segregationist who was intentionally boycotted.

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2014/04/03/glenn-mcconnell-began-selling-segregationists-products-in-wake-of-boycott/

Not proud of the fact I correctly guessed it was Maurice's BBQ that photo was taken at.

• Locked thread