Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I wonder if we'll get Ikachan after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Today I bought a download copy of Professor Layton and if I click download now, it goes for awhile and does make progress, but after about two minutes the animation chains are empty instead of having the little data blobs and after awhile it gives me an error code that, when I looked it up, just claims to be a "generic error code."

I have a stable internet connection otherwise, on other devices, and if I click download later and then start the download again that does it but downloading my game shouldn't be a chore I have to monitor. I tried using download later but after 6 hours it had only downloaded 51%.

Any ideas what might be up? The current eshop status seems fine and I can't find anywhere else where someone has had a similar issue and gotten a clear answer.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Xik posted:

I mentioned it before but the crazy thing about the 3D version is that it is actually on the eshop here, it just says that it can't be purchased.

Basically every 3DS game is in the eShop, just not all of them can be bought. If a game has a trailer or whatever it's going to be in there.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

13/f/cali posted:

Today I bought a download copy of Professor Layton and if I click download now, it goes for awhile and does make progress, but after about two minutes the animation chains are empty instead of having the little data blobs and after awhile it gives me an error code that, when I looked it up, just claims to be a "generic error code."

I have a stable internet connection otherwise, on other devices, and if I click download later and then start the download again that does it but downloading my game shouldn't be a chore I have to monitor. I tried using download later but after 6 hours it had only downloaded 51%.

Any ideas what might be up? The current eshop status seems fine and I can't find anywhere else where someone has had a similar issue and gotten a clear answer.

For what it's worth, I was sleep downloading a couple of demos yesterday when they stopped downloading after a point, but they resumed when I turned the 3DS off and on again. I can't say if it will work in your case, but I guess it is a thing that works with the 3DS for whatever reason.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Elliotw2 posted:

Basically every 3DS game is in the eShop, just not all of them can be bought. If a game has a trailer or whatever it's going to be in there.

Are you in a region that doesn't have the game? Look it up. While other games have an entry that might just contain a trailer, this one has a trailer plus a game icon that just says "Not available in Nintendo eShop", instead of just not having the game icon.

Anyway, I feel like an idiot but how can I filter Virtual Console games by console? I can filter to only Virtual Console entries and then by Genre or Publisher but I can't see a way to filter say, only Game Boy games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Xik posted:

Are you in a region that doesn't have the game? Look it up. While other games have an entry that might just contain a trailer, this one has a trailer plus a game icon that just says "Not available in Nintendo eShop", instead of just not having the game icon.

This isn't just a Cave Story thing. Before you could buy digital versions of retail games, Nintendo just used to list 'em on the eShop for no particular reason, then later they went back and marked a whole bunch of those early games with "not available on the eShop" instead of just taking them down.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The stat-tracking page for Nintendo Pocket Football Club is live, for those who missed it:
http://microsite.nintendo-europe.com/NPFC/enGB/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

13/f/cali posted:

The eShop seems a little weird lately, make sure the 3DS is fully charged. I had the same problem downloading Pocket Football Club and that fixed it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Yeah the eShop seems to be experiencing hiccups, I downloaded the Mario Golf: World Tour demo yesterday and it also failed halfway through the first time. The second time it fully downloaded without any hitches. Didn't do anything specific to fix the problem (like charging the system) either.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The fact that you have to put a minimum of $50 on your account is dumb but it led me to rediscovering a game I had completely forgotten about: Wario Land 2. Holy gently caress is this game ever weird. It doesn't seem like it should be a good game but somehow all the strange little things end up working.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

PantsBandit posted:

The fact that you have to put a minimum of $50 on your account is dumb

Uh I don't think you have to do this, unless I'm confused about what you're saying.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You don't have to add any minimum amount, and certainly not $50. There's an "add exact funds" option that comes up during the checkout process, it's been there for years now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Ah, must've just missed that.

Edit: I meant adding $50 if you wanted to buy a 3DS game since they're all 40, which was still wrong but who really gives a poo poo? It's not like that's even what my post was about in the first place.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 20, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You don't have to add any minimum amount, and certainly not $50. There's an "add exact funds" option that comes up during the checkout process, it's been there for years now.

Even without that, I believe the four available options were always $5, $10, $20, and $50.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There are multiple games I want to buy on the eshop, I don't understand this world I am living in.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

PantsBandit posted:

Ah, must've just missed that.

Edit: I meant adding $50 if you wanted to buy a 3DS game since they're all 40, which was still wrong but who really gives a poo poo? It's not like that's even what my post was about in the first place.

You can pay the exact amount, you know.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Are there any good WiiWare games on the Wii shop? I have 2200 almost forgotten points to burn. And its pretty obvious that the shop isn't getting any more updates.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

MassRafTer posted:

There are multiple games I want to buy on the eshop, I don't understand this world I am living in.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can pay the exact amount, you know.

It'd be nice if they added a Cart feature too so that you could buy a few games and pay the exact amount for them in a single transaction.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

irlZaphod posted:

It'd be nice if they added a Cart feature too so that you could buy a few games and pay the exact amount for them in a single transaction.

Agreed

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Silver95280 posted:

Are there any good WiiWare games on the Wii shop? I have 2200 almost forgotten points to burn. And its pretty obvious that the shop isn't getting any more updates.

My favorite Wiiware games were Final Fantasy: My Life as a King and Final Fantasy: My Life as a Darklord. My Life as a King is part town building simulator and part RPG. You don't actually go out and fight anything though, you have town people you train and send on missions. *Warning* about that game though, the framerate gets kind of rough when your town gets huge.

My Life as a Darklord is a tower defense like game. You have a tower/castle and enemies are inside and you have to fill it with various traps to kill them.

I haven't enjoyed a console Final Fantasy game since the SNES and I still really enjoyed these games.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 20, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Silver95280 posted:

Assuming you're not talking about Virtual Console stuff, Cave Story, Mega Man 9/10 and World of Goo are all really good if you haven't already played them on a different platform. (Actually I didn't really like MM10 but I loved 9) My Life as a King and My Life as a Dark Lord are two pretty neat Final Fantasy spin offs. The first one is a town simulator type of deal and the Dark Lord game is more of a tower defence game. They both have a ton of DLC but I never really bothered with any of it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Silver95280 posted:

I'll second katkillad2's recommendations. La-Mulana is great, you should get that if you enjoy "Metroidvania" style games. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth is a throwback to the pre-Metroidvania-style Castlevania games which plays more like the NES games/Rondo of Blood than SOTN, and I really wish Konami would make more of those kind of games. Mega Man 9 and 10 are pretty good if you like Mega Man 2. And I don't know how everybody else felt about ExciteBike: World Rally, but I thought that was fun as well.

I'd say top priority should be La-Mulana, though.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I wouldn't mind Capcom porting Mega Man 9 and 10 to the Wii U and slapping the same "if you owned and transferred the WiiWare version, the eShop version is $2" thing the Virtual Console stuff gets personally.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Crawfish posted:

I wouldn't mind Capcom porting Mega Man 9 and 10 to the Wii U and slapping the same "if you owned and transferred the WiiWare version, the eShop version is $2" thing the Virtual Console stuff gets personally.

Nintendo should just do the porting for them. It's not like it'd be the first time Nintendo published a Capcom game in the US when Capcom wouldn't bother (Mega Man 6 on the NES, Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lost Winds 1+2 are also great, the second more than the first.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Crawfish posted:

This would be good because the anamorphic widescreen on the Wii did not play nice with the low-resolution art.

I understand the old shop was an absolute mess and probably a sloppy nightmare to manage, but Nintendo could have done a much better job upgrading and integrating it with the new shop, instead of leaving it to remain a weird legacy mess.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

At the very least, you'd think they would integrate the old Wii Shop Channel into the eShop, kind of like how the old DSiWare stuff can be found on the 3DS eShop.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

This would be good because the anamorphic widescreen on the Wii did not play nice with the low-resolution art.

I understand the old shop was an absolute mess and probably a sloppy nightmare to manage, but Nintendo could have done a much better job upgrading and integrating it with the new shop, instead of leaving it to remain a weird legacy mess.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > NINTENDO eSHOP: Nintendo could have done a much better job

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Another Kickstarter people may wanna take a look at:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/midgarstudio/hover-revolt-of-gamers

"Jet Set Radio meets Mirror's Edge, targeting a bunch of platforms. Hideki Naganuma (Jet Set Radio/Future) soundtrack and Wii U-specific asymmetric multiplayer modes are stretch goals.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

If we are allowed to post Wii U kickstarters, I would like to point out. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prismaticgames/hex-heroes It is a RTS hybrid with asymmetric multiplayer, with player one having an overseer role, and 2-5 having a specialized role being directed around to resources and mosters by player 1. It looks pretty neat and is over soon.

numerrik fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 21, 2014

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nintendo Pocket Soccer is very very very very fun.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

alf_pogs posted:

Nintendo Pocket Soccer is very very very very fun.

Yes. The online matches and rankings make it even better. Although I'm still in the beginners league, so I expect some serious trouble when my team gets promoted.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I was considering it since I have a bit over 13€ eShop credit left, but I rather spend it on NES Remix 2 I think. Also, I read that the game forces you to sit through every 10-minute-long match you play, is that not boring in a manager game?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Katana Gomai posted:

I was considering it since I have a bit over 13€ eShop credit left, but I rather spend it on NES Remix 2 I think. Also, I read that the game forces you to sit through every 10-minute-long match you play, is that not boring in a manager game?

Only with online matches. During other matches you can do substitutes and swap player places. And with subs, give some last minute adjustments on if they should do all-defence or offence (or both), what players to mark and adjust the zone of play. But the real meat is tweaking your team strategy outside of the pitch. Training your team to gel well together is the key here. It's not as elaborate as some football manager games where you set up certain maneuvers, this being more on the lighter side.

Anyway, I'd say that no, 10-minute long matches are not boring in this case. They can be quite tense, when your side are on their last legs and are trying to keep the lead while the opposition are pressing on with their fresh subs. No you dummy, don't pass it ther-- oh well. :smith:

EDIT: Remember that NPFC has a launch sale going on that lasts until May 1st, so keep that in mind!

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 21, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of April 24):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    NES Remix 2 - €9.99 / £8.49
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario Kart 8/Super Mario Kart digital promotion - buy Super Mario Kart on the VC, get a €7.99 / £5.49 discount on Mario Kart 8! Starts May 30, ends June 30.
    TNT Racers - Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until April 24
    Disney Epic Mickey 2; The Power of Two (Wii U) - €17.49 / £14.99 until April 24
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £7.7 until April 24

3DS eSHOP
    Sayonara UmiharaKawase - €24.99 / £19.99
    Bit Boy!! ARCADE - €7.99 / £7.19
DSiWARE
    Sea Battle (NES) - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Mario Golf World Tour on the eShop, get Mario Golf (GBC) for free! (promo runs from May 2-29)
    Nintendo Pocket Football Club (3DS eShop) - €11.99 / £10.79 until May 1
    Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until April 24
    4 Elements (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 8
    Jewel Quest Mysteries 3: The Seventh Gate (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 8
    Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 8
    Luxor (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 8
    Secret Mysteries in London (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 8

(there's some shovelware on sale that I can't be arsed to list)

Note: NES Remix 2 includes a special "championship mode" that's only available to people who own the first NES Remix. It also includes "Super Luigi Bros" ie SMB but mirror-flipped and with Luigi's high jump, but that's available by default, I think.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase was released in NA a few weeks back as Yumi's Odd Odyssey; it's the latest in a cult action series that started on the Super Famicom, and the first to be released outside of Japan. Obligatory Game Center CX link:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xydzbn_game-center-cx-s5-31-umihara-kawase_videogames

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Note: NES Remix 2 includes a special "championship mode" that's only available to people who own the first NES Remix. It also includes "Super Luigi Bros" ie SMB but mirror-flipped and with Luigi's high jump, but that's available by default, I think.

NES Remix 2 is only 10€? I expected it to be 15€, that's awesome. Hype as gently caress for that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The first one is the same price, isn't it?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Huh, you're right. I only remembered that it's $15 in the US and forgot how much I actually paid for it over here. I guess I'm just used to $ = € on every other platform that it didn't even occur to me that they could have adapted the price, especially since 10€ is actually less than $15.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
NES Remix~
Umihara~

A Good Week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is the first NES Remix worth getting? I see the sequel getting better marks.

Also I am kind of taken in with Rustys Real Deal Baseball. What the gently caress is wrong with me?