Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Das Volk posted:

That's money right there yo, a REAL BMW

It's gonna be money too, every time something breaks. :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nait Sirhc posted:

I just bought a 2003 745i for a stupidly low price. Like, really, ridiculously stupid low. Gave them my 330i too as a trade, so I upgraded 415i's!

more pictures when I go pick it up tomorrow

Does it come with the original wheels?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's gonna be money too, every time something breaks. :rimshot:

The $2,000 yearly navigation upgrade replacement will be killer. I loved my '08 750Li, nav and electrical were the only issues.

Yesterday it turned into this:

Custom ordered 550. Pretty much the only options I didn't were B&O, night vision, and rear wheel steering.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Dark Graphite snobbery represent! What color interior and did you spring for the leather dash?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

Dark Graphite snobbery represent! What color interior and did you spring for the leather dash?

Sophitsograu puhlease. It's gorgeous but weather has sucked to no good pics. Driving a gravel and dirt road yesterday also means it now needs it's first bath.

I got ivory nappa and thanks to getting M-Sport it is the classy Oreo interior. No leather dash, wasn't worth it to me.

I would say its perfect but after four hours and calls to both HomeLink and a BMW 'genius' the freaking garage door opener still isn't programmed. Hashtag first world problems.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the F10 garage door homelink thing is buggered, it works way worse than whatever version is in the E90's.

When I'm pulling up in the E90 I can start opening my garage door from about 50 yds away and it always closes immediately when I am leaving.

With the F10 I have to get up into my freaking driveway before it even thinks about working and about every 3rd time takes multiple presses and waiting and pressing again. Oh and I remember it being a huge bitch to program in the first place as well.

Real BMW owners should have one of their household staff members, maybe a carriage boy to just operate their 7 car garage doors manually. :smugdog:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 19, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I discovered the Homelink range is a lot shorter than it should be, and always shorter than the remote control unit you're programming with. When I lived in a condo I had to get right up next to the gate before it would open.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

1 week 335I update:

I love this car.

Every day I find a new luxury or convenience. Once I'm used to this it's going to be hard to not spend a ton of money on my daily drivers from now on.

My favorite feature by far though, is that engine. It's so lovely. I'm hooked.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Test drove the M235i today, it's a wonderful, lovely thing :yum: But it's more than I would like to spend, the 228i I'm comparing with the Mercedes CLA 250 4MATIC which ended being cheaper optioned up and more practical, especially in cold and infinite Canadian winters. In general the BMW handled and rode better, but gently caress them for making the automatic transmission a $1600 option :nixon: .

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

the F10 garage door homelink thing is buggered, it works way worse than whatever version is in the E90's.

When I'm pulling up in the E90 I can start opening my garage door from about 50 yds away and it always closes immediately when I am leaving.

With the F10 I have to get up into my freaking driveway before it even thinks about working and about every 3rd time takes multiple presses and waiting and pressing again. Oh and I remember it being a huge bitch to program in the first place as well.

Real BMW owners should have one of their household staff members, maybe a carriage boy to just operate their 7 car garage doors manually. :smugdog:

At least it's not me. Apparently some dealers have BMW geniuses and I have to go see one. Until then I push a different button on the dash and ask the wife to open the garage. Or use the handheld remote clicker.

The power delivery of the N63TU is pretty incredible. Super smooth and a great mate for the ZedF tranny.

But the best thing, it's the HUD. Speed limit, cruise control, and current speed. Navigation directions and lane and intersection guides. Telephone stuff. Playlists and audio stuff, where you can scroll the list with the thumb wheel on the steering wheel right in the HUD.

As for dynamic handling, I can't understand how people don't think that it is un bmw like. Comfort plus is spouse mode but still communicative, not unlike my E66. Dialing it up the three modes is progressive and sport is actually my preferred where big stuff is absorbed with no drama but is generally firm feeling.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cacator posted:

gently caress them for making the automatic transmission a $1600 option :nixon: .

What did you expect? It's a $1000 option on a loving $15k Ford Fiesta.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

As for dynamic handling, I can't understand how people don't think that it is un bmw like. Comfort plus is spouse mode but still communicative, not unlike my E66. Dialing it up the three modes is progressive and sport is actually my preferred where big stuff is absorbed with no drama but is generally firm feeling.

It's not the suspension people complain about on the newer BMWs, it's the electrically assisted steering. Not enough feedback to let you know what the front tires are doing at/near the limit. I'm going to guess that since you're in an automatic 5er, you're not an autocross or track day enthusiast and will probably never push the car hard enough for that lack of feedback to become all that apparent, much less even remotely relevant to your driving experience. If you're not tracking it or pushing the car hard on a regular basis it likely won't ever matter to you.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Cacator posted:

but gently caress them for making the automatic transmission a $1600 option :nixon: .

Or you could learn to drive a car :spergin:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cacator posted:

but gently caress them for making the automatic transmission a $1600 option :nixon: .

At least you're not in the US, where the 8 speed is standard and a manual is a "zero cost option". We're stuck paying for it whether we want it or not. The ZF is supposedly a great trans, for a slushbox, but it's disappointing when they have a nice DCT which would have fit better with the "M" badge.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's not the suspension people complain about on the newer BMWs, it's the electrically assisted steering. Not enough feedback to let you know what the front tires are doing at/near the limit. I'm going to guess that since you're in an automatic 5er, you're not an autocross or track day enthusiast and will probably never push the car hard enough for that lack of feedback to become all that apparent, much less even remotely relevant to your driving experience. If you're not tracking it or pushing the car hard on a regular basis it likely won't ever matter to you.

I suppose that is the case for the M5, but I wasn't going to pay 50% more for the incremental difference between the 550 and M5. I was sorely tempted though.

Manual wasn't available on the 550 at all and was discontinued on the 535 before my build date. While autocrossing may not be in the cards I absolutely love a good canyon run and probably push my cars more than the average freeway cruiser. With only 200 miles on it I don't really have an opinion on the steering yet. Nicely weighted, not much dead zone on center, but only one short canyon drive so far, and I didn't want to kill my new tires and unbedded brakes.

I still have an E61 so I will be able to drive them back to back to compare if there is interest. Now I am actually curious about it...

Overall the F10 is a massive improvement over the E66, I just can't fit 4 six footers easily any more. Two six footers and two average adults and a car seat work fine though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The 2014 steering is greatly improved over the 2011-2013 version according to nearly every tester/owner.

These big battle cruisers actually handle much better than most goons would think as I can easily take offramps at the same 85mph+ that I could in my E46/E90 and I don't even have the full sport suspension. You just don't "feel it" so much.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Keyser S0ze posted:

These big battle cruisers actually handle much better than most goons would think as I can easily take offramps at the same 85mph+ that I could in my E46/E90 and I don't even have the full sport suspension. You just don't "feel it" so much.

Because they haven't tried a well sorted example is my best guess. Hands down, my E60 was a blast to drive, and the torque of the V8 would make any one have a big smile on their face. I know its the same in terms of speed compare to an E46/etc, but the sounds were pretty awesome.

And really, at the time, I needed a 5 series. I traveled for work all the time and the ability to put all my poo poo in the trunk, have a few things in the back seat and be able to soak up the bumps on the road with the long wheel base was exactly what I needed.

The only disadvantage over others (and it was more not what you drove but how you drove it) was the MPGs.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Keyser S0ze posted:

The 2014 steering is greatly improved over the 2011-2013 version according to nearly every tester/owner.

Yeah, nobody's arguing that they don't handle magnificently, it's just that on the models with the disliked electric steering, it saps confidence when you can't feel the front tires starting to squirm as they lose grip, making it hard to push right up to the limits because its harder to tell where those limits are. It's the same problem that plagued the early 2010 Camaros when going head to head against the newer Mustangs, the Camaro was technically the better chassis and suspension setup (IRS, etc), but drivers were consistently faster in the Mustang on hot laps (despite the 1960s era rear suspension) because the feedback it gave the driver inspired a lot more confidence near the limits.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wolrah posted:

At least you're not in the US, where the 8 speed is standard and a manual is a "zero cost option". We're stuck paying for it whether we want it or not. The ZF is supposedly a great trans, for a slushbox, but it's disappointing when they have a nice DCT which would have fit better with the "M" badge.

The dct is nice and all but it's not great for stop and go traffic. In drive, it hesitates when under 5 mph. Frustrating mostly, but not as bad in sport or manual.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

The dct is nice and all but it's not great for stop and go traffic. In drive, it hesitates when under 5 mph. Frustrating mostly, but not as bad in sport or manual.

Have BMW really not figured out how to do an automated manual that works at low speeds yet? I know the SMG was pretty bad, and while I haven't driven a BMW DCT yet I just assumed since VAG and Ford had it right that BMW did too.

Still though, I'd tolerate a bit of jerkiness to have those lightning shifts if I had to have two pedals.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
They were updating the software in the DCT for a while to eliminate some of the problems people were complaining about, such as jerkiness, unpredictability and other issues. I don't know if they ever got it completely sorted out but even Porsche's PDK can be confused if you handle it aggressively. To me the ZF 8 speed sounds like the best of both worlds.

Edit: Looking around for "BMW DCT problem" is confirming my decision to stick to manual. There are no service parts for the DCT - it's replacement only, and at $13K plus labor that doesn't sit well with me for a car I'd keep long term. Leaser or get rid of it after a few years? sure, pile on the tech, it's the next guy's problem.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 20, 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Little M62 note for e38/e39 crew:

I've been annoyed by an exhaust tick for about six months that showed up and stayed like 30 seconds after start. I did a bunch of research a while ago and suspected that the copper nuts holding the cats to the rest of the exhaust were going, and that's where it was coming from.

not so! Late last night I found some forum posts that indicate the plugs back out on these all the time. Sure enough, #6 was just a tiny bit looser than the others - it was maybe at 20 ft-lb rather than the 30ish spec. Not like spinning or anything. I cranked it a quarter turn and sure enough, tick is gone.

Check the simple stuff first!

E: I'm also loving HORRIFIED at the shoddy casting in the heads for the threaded part that the head covers (the plastic bits that say BMW that bolt over the coils) bolt onto. There's a metal collar in the cover, and it looks like the PO overtorqued the cover's bolt and just shredded the cast part in the head. Looked like shrapnel and i actually pulled a piece off with my fingers. So, one cover bolt per side. no big deal, just a little bit of "what the gently caress, BMW"

EE: Casual inspection of plug wells indicate Exxon Valdez levels of oil and I now know where my oil leak is coming from. Valve cover gasket time.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 20, 2014

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I just bought a 1995 318i for $1000. 97k miles, 5-speed, only small amounts of panel rust, runs and drives fantastic, and the mechanic at my old job (who is extremely reliable) has been regularly servicing it for the last five years and hasn't had any issues with it. Is there anything specific to these cars I should preemptively take a look at? Or am I pretty much good to go?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This may be more of a question for the stupid question thread, since it may be more general, but do HID bulbs need replacement over time? I've got an '03 E39 with HID headlights and noticed that they are MUCH dimmer than my mom's A3 with HIDs when I saw them side-by-side. They're original headlights, would there be benefit in replacing the bulbs with new ones?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

OK, tell me where I went wrong today. I attempted to bleed the brakes on my proletariat-mobile E46 with a Motive bleeder. I followed the directions (connect to reservoir, leak check, then fill with fluid, reconnect and pressurise to 20 psi), but I didn't get any fluid to come out of the bleeder and into the master reservoir, and I also didn't get much fluid out of the caliper either.

Like I said, I'm kind of scratching my head as to what I did wrong here...it should have worked.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Finally installed the rear struts and springs from my GC coilover kit. But holy hell are my rear tires worn out from the few weeks I only had the front done. The outside tread on both rear tires is down to almost the wire and I bought these tires last year so only ~4k miles. Drove home 4 hours today from my parents after the install and it rained pretty much the whole way. Any of the smooth black asphalt where the wheel lane valleys form in the road would pool water was basically ice for my car and I couldn't go over 35 mph without sliding.

Well that's my own stupid fault for driving the car around with half a suspension installed and no alignment. The front tires looks fine so I guess I'll just order new rears and have it aligned and installed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

meatpimp posted:

This may be more of a question for the stupid question thread, since it may be more general, but do HID bulbs need replacement over time? I've got an '03 E39 with HID headlights and noticed that they are MUCH dimmer than my mom's A3 with HIDs when I saw them side-by-side. They're original headlights, would there be benefit in replacing the bulbs with new ones?

Yeah they do seem to dim and change colour with use.

The state of your lenses can make a big difference too though - if they're at all visibly cloudy it'll make a massive difference

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Popete posted:

Finally installed the rear struts and springs from my GC coilover kit. But holy hell are my rear tires worn out from the few weeks I only had the front done. The outside tread on both rear tires is down to almost the wire and I bought these tires last year so only ~4k miles. Drove home 4 hours today from my parents after the install and it rained pretty much the whole way. Any of the smooth black asphalt where the wheel lane valleys form in the road would pool water was basically ice for my car and I couldn't go over 35 mph without sliding.

Well that's my own stupid fault for driving the car around with half a suspension installed and no alignment. The front tires looks fine so I guess I'll just order new rears and have it aligned and installed.

Mount the tires reversed on the wheels, you've already done stupid so why not. please don't do this How is the GC kit? I've come across a basically free E30 rolling chassis and I'm leaning towards the GC kit. I should have ordered the GC kit for the E21 and still might since I haven't installed the stuff I did buy.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

meatpimp posted:

I'm not sure what the e39s have, but if they are ZKW take a look at the projector bowls. Some of that era were plastic with a metallic spray coating that would burn off from the heat. My ZHP headlights were so bad it was dangerous to drive at night.

MrChips posted:

OK, tell me where I went wrong today. I attempted to bleed the brakes on my proletariat-mobile E46 with a Motive bleeder. I followed the directions (connect to reservoir, leak check, then fill with fluid, reconnect and pressurise to 20 psi), but I didn't get any fluid to come out of the bleeder and into the master reservoir, and I also didn't get much fluid out of the caliper either.

Like I said, I'm kind of scratching my head as to what I did wrong here...it should have worked.

Try 25psi. Also, I prefer to not fill the motive with fluid because it makes a mess when you try to disconnect it, but you do have to watch the fluid level that way. The amount of fluid you get from the calipers depends on how much you crack the bleed screw. If you're getting fluid from the caliper you should be OK.

I finally got my M3 running right today. Pulled it out of storage and diagnosed a bad vibration as a cracked guibo, and immediately removed the poly trans mounts because they transmitted a ridiculous amount of noise.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 21, 2014

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

Mount the tires reversed on the wheels, you've already done stupid so why not. please don't do this How is the GC kit? I've come across a basically free E30 rolling chassis and I'm leaning towards the GC kit. I should have ordered the GC kit for the E21 and still might since I haven't installed the stuff I did buy.

Yeah if I wasn't so drat impatient about getting the car out of storage I would have driven the e30 until I finished the GC install. I love the kit so far, I don't have experience with any other coilover setups as this is really my first time making modifications to any car I've owned. The front feels very stiff like there is a heavy weight keeping it level, and this is without the sway bar connected (again my stupidity cause I broke an endlink bolt). I went with the GC kit cause I heard from multiple sources and friends that it was a solid setup.

I'm really just waiting to get some new rear tires and the front sway bar end links I picked up installed and then the setup will be complete and I can test it out.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ya Ok BMW.

Ya Ok MINI.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Das Volk posted:

They were updating the software in the DCT for a while to eliminate some of the problems people were complaining about, such as jerkiness, unpredictability and other issues. I don't know if they ever got it completely sorted out but even Porsche's PDK can be confused if you handle it aggressively. To me the ZF 8 speed sounds like the best of both worlds.

Edit: Looking around for "BMW DCT problem" is confirming my decision to stick to manual. There are no service parts for the DCT - it's replacement only, and at $13K plus labor that doesn't sit well with me for a car I'd keep long term. Leaser or get rid of it after a few years? sure, pile on the tech, it's the next guy's problem.

Yep, the ZF shifts would only be minutely slower than the 1 series DCT, plus you get a more refined drive without any of the quirks and likely better long-term reliability/longevity. BMW might say they are reserving any future DCT for the M2 but as far as I'm concerned that's no loss for the M235i, the auto is that good.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 21, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Crustashio posted:

Try 25psi. Also, I prefer to not fill the motive with fluid because it makes a mess when you try to disconnect it, but you do have to watch the fluid level that way. The amount of fluid you get from the calipers depends on how much you crack the bleed screw. If you're getting fluid from the caliper you should be OK.

Yeah, now that I think about it I was only opening the bleeder 1/4 or a turn or so; fluid would come out, but it was glacially slow. My larger concern was that the Motive wasn't feeding any fluid back into the reservoir. Additionally, I found a bunch of the blue lubricant from the piston floating in the fresh brake fluid once I gave up on the job...might have been for the best ultimately.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

My local Car-Max has a 2008 328i with 34k miles on it for $19,500. It has a listing for an accident report which it was supposedly towed away from. Is this a bad price? The blue-book value of the aforementioned 328 without an accident seems to be exactly 19k so I'm kinda skeptical- but anything around with with comparable mileage is substantially higher in price.

Is this a particularly good or bad deal? Should I run away? They have a few with higher miles (50k~) in a similar price range. I am alternatively considering scrapping an E90 entirely and getting a E34 for substantially less- but I need something that is a reliable daily driver. I have a Volvo 240 currently and it's pretty solid- but I've run into car stopping issues a bit more often than I'd like for a primary vehicle.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Buy an E34, don't pay 20 thousand dollars for a 6 year old BMW that has been in an accident.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

rscott posted:

Buy an E34, don't pay 20 thousand dollars for a 6 year old BMW that has been in an accident.

Like a million thousand times this. This isn't some rare car.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

50k miles on a six year old car isn't a lot. I'd take one of those over the smashed up car.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
CarMax usually prices their cars slightly on the high side, and they really don't negotiate on price. Unless you're relying on them to get you financing, or you just want to go in and pay sticker for a car, you can do better than that. Should be a shitload of 328's on craigslist/autotrader or whatever.

That said, their cars generally are pretty well sorted out, and they do offer a decent warranty for them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Have you looked at post facelift e90's? Much better I'm than the early models.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How long will it take to blow stock shocks on an E30 with GC coilovers as long as I don't cut and section the front? I was planning on going with G60 Corrado Koni in sectioned housings in a few months but I have some wheels already and don't mind blowing the stock shocks since they will soon be replaced anyway - I'm doing this either way, but I will probably delay if the answer is RIGHT AWAY.

Yes, I am a terrible person that cares for a little more form over function with a DD.