Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

SquadronROE posted:

So tempted to get into Deadzone after picking up and reading through the core rules today. Is the terrain that comes in the starter set pre painted or have decals?

It's pure grey, but it's a nice kind of grey

Here's how I told a friend about the mega pack I got which had a second box of terrain sprues http://i.imgur.com/TEDoSvZ.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

SquadronROE posted:

So tempted to get into Deadzone after picking up and reading through the core rules today. Is the terrain that comes in the starter set pre painted or have decals?

No to either, unfortunately. However, as a result, there are lots of places going over terrain effects right now, like hairspray weathering and the like.

Frankly, I've always been of the opinion that terrain need to only look OK, not great. Great terrain is super nice, of course, but basically so long as it doesn't look like an eyesore next to a painted force, it's doing it's job.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I just painted some scenery yo

(this is the upcoming £50 ruins set)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nice, way better than I'm going to be able to manage, but I don't have an airbrush. My plan is to use coloured sprays of the same sort I use to prime, maybe try that salt method with a second colour, and then hand paint highlights and use some stencils I've ordered for patterns and hazard stripes.

Also I don't have any ruins, and won't have them for months :arghfist::saddowns:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

I didn't use the airbrush on these :) I just used car primer from The Range. I don't think the salt spray method would work with spray cans though. It only works with airbrushing because the paint is so thin. I'd use the sponge weathering technique instead, which is what I used on these. It's much faster and doesn't look bad (not quite as good as salt weathering though).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Daedleh posted:

I just painted some scenery yo

poo poo like this makes me wish I had a use for the $200 crazy big preorder set, just to see it on my table

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does anyone have the infected teraton from Deadzone? Is there supposed to be a gaping hole where it looks like something is supposed to slot in on his crotch?

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

That's sadly an issue with the packing. The piece is on a sprue that's in another set.

Email Sarah.Clark@manticgames.com to see if they can sort you out (I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Doublecheck your bag, the part you want comes inside the baggie within the baggie that also contains the arms, heads and part of the tripod for the mortar team, looks like this

Daedleh posted:

I didn't use the airbrush on these :) I just used car primer from The Range. I don't think the salt spray method would work with spray cans though. It only works with airbrushing because the paint is so thin. I'd use the sponge weathering technique instead, which is what I used on these. It's much faster and doesn't look bad (not quite as good as salt weathering though).

I'll have to look up how to do that sponge thing, but seems like I came to the same conclusion as you about avoiding the hard work and using spray primer from a hardware store. Still, in a few months I have a bunch of interesting silicon stencils coming from a kickstarter that I'll by trying out on the tiles to see how it works, I have geometric shapes, warnings signs, stripes, camo patches, numbers, and arrows amongst other things.

Also, I got laid off the day before my 2nd survey paypal bill arrived. Slightly regretting spending a little over, but poo poo happens.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 20, 2014

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Doublecheck your bag, the part you want comes inside the baggie within the baggie that also contains the arms, heads and part of the tripod for the mortar team, looks like this

I'll have to look up how to do that sponge thing, but seems like I came to the same conclusion as you about avoiding the hard work and using spray primer from a hardware store. Still, in a few months I have a bunch of interesting silicon stencils coming from a kickstarter that I'll by trying out on the tiles to see how it works, I have geometric shapes, warnings signs, stripes, camo patches, numbers, and arrows amongst other things.

Also, I got laid off the day before my 2nd survey paypal bill arrived. Slightly regretting spending a little over, but poo poo happens.

Yeah the mortar team is in a separate booster pack, so if you buy the Teraton by itself then you'll not get the sprue from the mortar team. I don't know when it's going to be corrected.

Email Sarah about the survey if you need the money back. I'm sure there'll be no problem refunding you.

e: here's a sponge weathering tutorial: http://whiteswolves.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/deadzone-terrain-even-speedier-painting.html

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 20, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Daedleh posted:

Yeah the mortar team is in a separate booster pack, so if you buy the Teraton by itself then you'll not get the sprue from the mortar team. I don't know when it's going to be corrected.

Email Sarah about the survey if you need the money back. I'm sure there'll be no problem refunding you.

e: here's a sponge weathering tutorial: http://whiteswolves.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/deadzone-terrain-even-speedier-painting.html

Thanks, I'll give that a go. I'm fine with keeping my order though, it's not so bad, the real victim in this is the substantially more expensive overseas trip to my best friend's wedding I'll have to cancel if things don't change. I'll just have to console myself with working on Forge Fathers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Daedleh posted:

I didn't kickstart, I bought it retail, would she still be the person to contact?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah I've emailed her about a retail mispack before with the dreadball ultimate box.

Now I have a spare barricade.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I didn't kickstart, I bought it retail, would she still be the person to contact?

Yep. Sarah is the customer services person. You could go through the contact form on the website, but they all go straight into her inbox anyway.

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 21, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Speak of the devil, as of today they're 2 for 2 on incorrect items in my orders. So long as it gets sorted out I don't mind though.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

When are the wave 2 paypal payments due? I hit a bit of a financial snag and have to wait until May 1st to get my payment in. Is that too late?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TarDolphinorShark posted:

When are the wave 2 paypal payments due? I hit a bit of a financial snag and have to wait until May 1st to get my payment in. Is that too late?

They're not due until June 2, so you've got plenty of time

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I also may have gone somewhat overboard on the second survey.

I wanted all the walkers

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Phoon posted:

I wanted all the walkers

Join the club.

I also got a few more Forge Fathers than Deadzone really needed, so I'll have the backbone of a Forge Father Warpath army in progress well before that KS comes about next year. That way if they use the Mars Attacks pledge method I'll be able to sink more money into tanks and infantry I don't have, and if not I'll just have a whole lot of Forge Guard to go with a whole lot of Stormrage Veterans and a big group of Iron Ancestors and Jotunns, for the biggest, smashiest force of the best army of them all, space dorfs :unsmith:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

I have been ordered to start posting this about :

quote:

ITS THAT TIME AGAIN!!!!! The Mantic OpenDay!! 17th May.
Tickets include a £5 off orders over £15 voucher! Check out the bottom of this post for more deals on the day!
Come and play Mars Attacks
...Studio Previews: DreadBall Xtreme, Mars Attacks and Deadzone ,what's coming up next! The display cabinets with some unseen goodies!!
Massive Kings of War participation game – **Help us break the record for the most ever points in a game.**
All you need to do is bring your Kings of War army!
DreadBall Azure Forest Tournament – Limited spaces available, tickets are available in the Events on section on the the site.
Learn to play Deadzone in our Training Day mission.
DreadBall – Let us put you through your paces on the pitch of the far future
Learn to play Kings of War, LOKA and more!
An awesome Studio tour.
Battlezones Launch! Special pre-release Battlezones scenery launch only in the Mantic store.
Battlezones Tutorial - Sit down with Dave and learn all the tips and tricks to building the perfect building using our new hard plastic modular scenery tiles!
+
Ronnie and Jake will be doing seminars on Kickstarters, Q and A and generally getting the pulse of the community. Great opportunity to ask some questions...
Alessio will be running a Loka tournament. I really cant wait to see how this goes as its a cool looking game!
Warlord Games will be in attendance with Bolt Action and Judge Dredd demo's!
AND
The shop will have a number of show special offers.
Project Pandora for £10
Buy a Dreadball team or Booster and have MVP foc ,
Buy a Deadzone Faction Starter and have a merc foc ,
3 for 2 on KoW and Warpath boxsets
http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/events-and-tickets/product/may-open-day-2014-single-ticket.html

And don't forget:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For those Americans interested, Miniaturemarket has started taking pre-orders for Battlezones. They're offering the big bastard for $140.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:drat:

I'd go if I was anywhere near, but sadly I'm a world away.

So, has anyone ever thought they were being pretty clever with their paint choices, only to load up the company site and discover they've subconsciously copied the studio scheme?

My Ogre Warrior scheme test :negative: Gonna have to change a couple small things before I finish. So what do we think, Orcs have green blood right? Do any of the KoW races thus far strike you as ones that would have blue or purple blood?

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I like Kings of War but nobody here plays it, but hey, theres vassal right? Oh, nobody has finished a KoW mod yet, and the WHFB ones that could work are all gone. The alternative, Universal Battle, is kinda stinky. So why don't I just make my own vassal mod, can't be that hard, right?

Still a lot of work to go, but I present it's maiden voyage, 2k of my ogres vs 2k of Esser-Z's elves. Click for huge pictures.

Pre-deployment terrain:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/jGL3xLDm.jpg][/img]

Forces on the field:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/lpUsmgCm.jpg][/img]

Elf vanguard gimmick list moves in:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/R6T7e0sm.jpg][/img]

Ogre turn 1 end, I put out a couple damage, not much else:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/bOSE8mPm.jpg][/img]

Elf turn 2 end, he puts out a lot more damage, killing most of my goblins (that 96 wounds is just marking that they are wavering, a feature I haven't added yet):
[img]http://i.imgur.com/KmQlx4Rm.jpg][/img]

Ogre turn 3 end, chariots and berserkers start mounting a comeback:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/untgKhTm.jpg][/img]

Elf turn 4 end, we are trading flanks:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/mSNK2bqm.jpg][/img]

Ogre turn 5 end, middle is still a clusterfuck:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/XJoyBZ8m.jpg][/img]

Elf turn 6 end, things take a turn for the worse, for me at least, as my chariots are hurting and braves in the middle are gone:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/nj3Xli4m.jpg][/img]

Ogre turn 7 end, I attempt to stage a comeback but things look grim:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/2SkClgWm.jpg][/img]

Elf turn 8 end, hes just mopping up at this point, and I concede:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/d0KUedMm.jpg][/img]

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

That looks amazing. I've only used Universal Battle which is alright but far from perfect as you say. I'd be very interested to try it out if you need more playtesters or whatever.

haakman
May 5, 2011
That's my my problem with KoW. No one loving plays it.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

All this battle talk has made me think we should make a Mantic Map like the one the warhammer thread has. I've never made one of these but here is my attempt. I know of at least two people, me and a buddy of mine who is also a goon who play. Feel free to add your location or a FLGS to help new comers find players. http://bit.ly/1ikEOtX I'm going to have to check out the local game store scene to see who plays near me and add them since I usually just do pickup games at my house or a friend's house. We're probably a little too small at the moment to make a huge difference but who knows.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think there's a semi-official one on their own forums.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, but this one has goons. that's a 90% reduction in creep factor (to a total of 110% of a normal human being).

Also, someone mentioned Vassal Dreadball a few pages back, but nothing else really came of it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, but this one has goons. that's a 90% reduction in creep factor (to a total of 110% of a normal human being).

Also, someone mentioned Vassal Dreadball a few pages back, but nothing else really came of it.

Yep and I'd still like to organize some games but that was just me and 2 others. Lets get this off the ground!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hey also, I'm designing a custom pitch for me to get printed on a giant mousepad. I don't have the sin bins or bench or ref/entry markers up, but how are these colors? I'm goin for a tron theme, I still need to figure out something for the background and make sure the colors are all good. Thoughts?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They look good to me, clear and stylish. and you didn't make the mistake my friend did with his, which was putting the wrong colour score on the wrong side. I think he originally had them the right way around facing the outside of the area, then changed his mind and rotated them to fit inside without swapping the colours.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah I like it, got the Tron colours spot on. Maybe a light cycle arena style for the background, or a short of a tron-like city? Has to be something not very busy.

Also, added myself to the Mantica Goon Map :toot:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Added myself to the goon map. So lonely here in Atlanta

I'll get a spreadsheet made or something for Vassal game signups and whatnot, probably later today. I'll also see if I can't compile a simple rules sheet for people who don't know how to play (like myself)

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Grey Hunter posted:

Having finally managed to get a game of real life Dreadball in last night I'd definitely be up for this in a league system.

Also where is this Mantica goon map to be found? I had a brief trawl of the front page and thread but to no avail.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
http://bit.ly/1ikEOtX

It was only just made and posted a few posts ago. You still have that new map smell and everything.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I would really like to learn, and play dreadball so count me in on a virtual tabletop playthrough. I have wanted to play but can't find anyone here with an interest or the game. I can't justify getting the physical game after my massive Deadzone buy in. I'm sure I will buy a copy once my deadzone fever wears off and I finish up a spending spree on the hopefully soon to be Warpath Kickstarter.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

TarDolphinorShark posted:

I would really like to learn, and play dreadball so count me in on a virtual tabletop playthrough. I have wanted to play but can't find anyone here with an interest or the game. I can't justify getting the physical game after my massive Deadzone buy in. I'm sure I will buy a copy once my deadzone fever wears off and I finish up a spending spree on the hopefully soon to be Warpath Kickstarter.

The Vassal module for Dreadball is ridiculously good. Unfortunately mantic's rulebook app costs a pretty good chunk of change but it should be pretty easy to distill it down to the basics.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

signalnoise posted:

The Vassal module for Dreadball is ridiculously good. Unfortunately mantic's rulebook app costs a pretty good chunk of change but it should be pretty easy to distill it down to the basics.

There's a quick reference sheet on the website which is actually really useful:
http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/Gaming/DreadBall%20Seasons%201-3%20reference%20web%20december%202013.pdf

A new player will need to be guided through, but once they do they'll be sorted.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Daedleh posted:

There's a quick reference sheet on the website which is actually really useful:
http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/Gaming/DreadBall%20Seasons%201-3%20reference%20web%20december%202013.pdf

A new player will need to be guided through, but once they do they'll be sorted.

Yeah I was planning on using that plus a brief guide on how rolling works etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I plan on getting the whole collection from mantic digital so that is no problem. I just like to also have a friendly game or two with a helpful person when I am first learning a game, it usually helps me learn faster.