Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hella escapist fantasies can be p popular. See also: Sword Art Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

And on the other side of the pond, Top Gun.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Srice posted:

That doesn't fully explain it for me. I can understand why someone would want to be like Kirito, but I don't really get why a sane person would want to be like Tatsuya.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amazingly good at everything, has women fawning over him (including his hot sister, who to only-child Japanese nerds is like A GIRL who LIVES IN YOUR HOUSE) and yet is completely bland and personality free so you can project yourself onto him.

The real answer is: sane people don't.

Edit: Basically this for otaku:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4uuGvmAxTI

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Amazingly good at everything, has women fawning over him (including his hot sister, who to only-child Japanese nerds is like A GIRL who LIVES IN YOUR HOUSE) and yet is completely bland and personality free so you can project yourself onto him.

The real answer is: sane people don't.

I understand it up until the blandness, because in a way, he's not bland enough. There's a difference between having no distinctive personality traits and having things like shallow affect be your primary personality traits.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I only watched the first episode so maybe I'm confusing him with every bland harem character ever.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Dammit Shaft/Jin. :doh: The three-episode-test moment in Mekaku City Actors is now on track to be in episode 4. Marvelous.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Silver2195 posted:

I understand it up until the blandness, because in a way, he's not bland enough. There's a difference between having no distinctive personality traits and having things like shallow affect be your primary personality traits.

It's a power fantasy. The main character carries enough ideals and morality to be relatable but at the same time has super powers and special abilities that make him a cut above the rest. It's not so much that he has to be completely bland because if he was then the audience wouldn't care to relate to him.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
There is pretty funny about how the "boring yet perfect self insertion fantasy" protagonist who is still in high school & is surrounded by high school women who fantasize over him is so ubiquitous when the audience the works target are all basically graduated nerds who, theoretically, have jobs and, again theoretically, their own personal lives. I mean, if you look at an equivalent Western male fantasy like comic super heroes, the power fantasy is presented as something that 'you can dream of becoming', as it were, whereas it's a bit stranger to fantasize being a high schooler again so that underage girls can fawned over you!

The fact that manga/anime are so diverse and yet so completely obsessed with middle/high school is pretty hilariously sad to me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zorak posted:

There is pretty funny about how the "boring yet perfect self insertion fantasy" protagonist who is still in high school & is surrounded by high school women who fantasize over him is so ubiquitous when the audience the works target are all basically graduated nerds who, theoretically, have jobs and, again theoretically, their own personal lives.

That's a reeeeeal big theoretically.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

That's a reeeeeal big theoretically.

Yes, but it's also a bit overzealous I think to assume that literally no one who purchases this crap is making some kind of wage or has a personal life, if only because that's statistically improbable even in Japan's shrinking economy & population and because people are actually paying for this (which is why there's so much of it).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Having a job doesn't imply having a personal life, though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Having a job doesn't imply having a personal life, though.

Yes, but also it is pretty improbable that literally everyone who buys this poo poo (since these things are selling millions of copies) are paupers who interact with no other human beings ever :ssh:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Zorak posted:

Yes, but also it is pretty improbable that literally everyone who buys this poo poo (since these things are selling millions of copies) are paupers who interact with no other human beings ever :ssh:

Eh I don't disagree but most of them don't really sell millions.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-01/top-selling-light-novels-in-japan-by-series/2013

Although if anyone was wondering how Mahouka has an adaptation, well, there were two series in the top 22 which didn't have one prior to this season and they both do now.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Zorak posted:

The fact that manga/anime are so diverse and yet so completely obsessed with middle/high school is pretty hilariously sad to me.

I've had this presented to me (but at this point I couldn't tell you when/wear) that the average japanese adult wishes they could be in their school days again, as it's a common sentiment that ~Those Were The Days~ and once you graduate, everything else is terrible. Then you just actually have the demographic who are still in middle/high school. So you have 2/3rds of a readerbase who associate closely with school, and thus it ends up being the setting for everything.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Yeah, I have read many times from people with an obsession for young adult fiction from Japan telling people the Japanese are obsessed with high school.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
It does makes sense. You have actual high-schoolers seeking escapism from a soul-crushing society basically telling them to put their personal life aside and study to become productive members of society. And the adults seeking escapism from the responsibility of that reality to the point in their lives where they feel they still had a choice in the matter.

Western media basically does the exact same thing with college.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Emalde posted:

I've had this presented to me (but at this point I couldn't tell you when/wear) that the average japanese adult wishes they could be in their school days again, as it's a common sentiment that ~Those Were The Days~ and once you graduate, everything else is terrible. Then you just actually have the demographic who are still in middle/high school. So you have 2/3rds of a readerbase who associate closely with school, and thus it ends up being the setting for everything.

This isn't exactly a phenomenon exclusive to Japan. You hear a LOT of teenage/high school nostalgia amongst people around the world. Even in America, you very commonly hear perfectly normal adults say that their high school days were the best years of their life.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So Mekaku episode 2 was a thing. Specifically a SHAFT thing. There's something interesting hiding in the shadows of this series and I think the (likely) multitudinous plot threads will begin to show where and how they interconnect in the next episode.

Alternatively, it could be a gigantic clusterfuck but at least I'm not wasting it on Card Games

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One thing I love is that anime/manga targeted at adults totally glorifies high school, like a Kyoani show or Chihayafuru, yet when a manga is actually targeted at teenagers we get something like Assassination Classroom or Beelzebub, where school is basically hell.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Emalde posted:

There's a great post about it in the let's play Tokimeki thread

vibratingsheep posted:

Why are the Japanese so obsessed with high school, anyway?

To understand why so much Japanese media obsesses over high school life, you have to understand how Japanese society worked in the '90s. In general, Japanese companies used a "membership-based" model of employment, which was (and is) unique to Japan. The membership model of employment means that Japanese companies don't hire people to fill specific positions, instead hiring people based on how dedicated to the company they will be. To quote a fascinating article: "Instead of recruiting and hiring workers with specific skills to perform particular work when needed, Japanese companies have generally hired young people en masse immediately upon their graduation from college (or, especially in earlier days, from high school) by taking applications from students before they graduate and attempting to select ones with the latent ability to do any sort of work that the company may assign them."

This means that for most people about to enter the workforce, their actual college education was essentially meaningless unless they went to a trade school; they couldn't really train for a specific field of work because they had no idea what field of work they were going into, they just knew what kind of company they wanted to be hired by. The moment students were accepted into college, their quality of life for the rest of their lives had essentially been decided for them based on the prestige level of the school.

Let that sink in for a moment; imagine a world where your entire working life has already been laid out for you based on your college acceptance letters. Got into UC Berkeley or Oxford? Congratulations, you are guaranteed to be a hot commodity before you've even graduated. Forced to settle for community college? Good luck getting the third-rate jobs, loser.

This meant that for most people, high school was the last time in their lives where they felt like they had any freedom and control over their destinies. This is a big reason why high school life was so romanticized by Japanese culture. Today, while college educations have become a little more specialized to working life, high school still represents the last time in many Japanese people's lives where they can be carefree.

Anyway, are there any super-duper low budget shows out or have there been any "Our budget ran out" moments in this season yet?

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Postal Parcel posted:

Anyway, are there any super-duper low budget shows out or have there been any "Our budget ran out" moments in this season yet?

Dai Shogun, where the "animation" is mostly using warp filters in Photoshop.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

FortMax posted:

Dai Shogun, where the "animation" is mostly using warp filters in Photoshop.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Also, just caught Puella Magi Yugi MutohSelector infected WIXOSS: Angelic Layer
I definitely see how the Madoka stuff came up. I like the music and overall tone too.
Especially liking that, for now, the incest subplot is being shown as a thing to be ashamed of and not "Oh, it's totally cool you guys, even if they aren't blood related, but they are because they're twins".

I also like how Yuzuki calls out Ruko on her "demure personality" based on the reaction to the earlier despair bomb. It may not be too rare nowadays, but it's nice to see characters call out the "I want everyone to be nice, happy, and not mean" stance a lot of milquetoast characters seem to have.

e:Also caught Mekakucity Actors. Was this directed by the guy who did Soultaker or any of the -gatari series by chance? It's got that same feeling with all the cuts and what not. And holy hell was it weird.
Also, loved the intro with the bells. Very reminiscent of Utena. McA, you seem really cool.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 20, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Postal Parcel posted:

e:Also caught Mekakucity Actors. Was this directed by the guy who did Soultaker or any of the -gatari series by chance? It's got that same feeling with all the cuts and what not.

Shinbo being Shinbo, yup.

Also, stop making a show based on a series of Vocaloid songs sound like something I should check out, guys, you're freaking me out here. :psyduck:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The Devil Tesla posted:

One thing I love is that anime/manga targeted at adults totally glorifies high school, like a Kyoani show or Chihayafuru, yet when a manga is actually targeted at teenagers we get something like Assassination Classroom or Beelzebub, where school is basically hell.

That's not totally true given romcoms like Nisekoi, Seo Kouji's stuff, and lots of romance shoujo manga in general exist. Manga authors in general just like to place their settings in high school presumably for the reasons stated in the Tokimeki post. Beelzebub just draws from the same well of punk stories that Kyou Kara Ore Wa and Shonan Junai Gumi does, while Assassination Classroom succeeds a lot of teacher stories like GTO and Kinpachi-sensei. I wouldn't call it hellish, just more exploring a different glorification within the mind of the author of what high school could have been like with possible twists of demons/octoteachers.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I haven't watched first episodes of some of the animes I'm planning on looking at. However:

The File of Young Kindaichi Returns
Watchable. A tad over dramatic, but watchable. My only beef is that, if the Japanese are going to go somewhere and solve crimes, why can't they go to the USA. I mean,the USA is the center of the world, right? They should come here to solve crimes.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Yes. If the show can't be centered around the USA, I suppose Japan is fine. Why is Holly/Seika so weak? Also, why Seika? Did I spell that correctly? What happened to Joseph's mom? Isn't she near immortal? What about Joseph himself? Shouldn't he be near immortal? What's up with the gray hair?

Mushi Shi
Yes. Yes. Yes. After the first episode, I had to pour myself a couple glasses of sake.

Blade and Soul
Not sure about this one yet. I can live with the protagonist-ess being an emotionless killing machine if there is some reason for that. We just don't know yet. I suspect something has been done to her to make her the way she is. Cover up the drat butterfly thingy!

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
Not sure. Might be an interesting way to spend 3 minutes.

BNanana's Buried Treasure
So far, fairly interesting. I want to know why Banana won't tell people where she buried her stuff. Plus, they really didn't develop that whole storyline very well. Some 12-17 year old went around the world finding trillions of yen worth of treasures? What? Really? Also, she's now a ghost dwelling in some living room and the landlord/her good friend when she was alive, just rents the place out to some unsuspecting doofus with no rhyme or reason?

Whatever. Leave that as it may, I guess I want to see where this one goes.

Is the Order a Rabbit
I only watched this because I have realized that I need to give some anime a chance, even if I think I'm not going to like it. I didn't like this one. Not my cup of coffee (pun intended).

Chaiki -- the Coffin Princess
So far, fairly interesting. I suspect this one will be a keeper. (Please do make a thread for this one <-- the guy who said he would. Thanks)

No Game, No Life
Mixed on this one. Yes, there is a major creep issue with the brother-sister stuff. Plus, the protagonist is can be just plain creepy anyway. The idea is interesting, though. Also, it's fun to see someone who is overwhelmingly capable in one area yet so incapable in everything else.

Black Bullet
Not sure. One episode wasn't enough for me to really make a determination on this one. It has potential, yet....

Majin Bone
Even though this anime has cards, I will probably watch it.

The Comic Artist and His Assistants
The only redeeming thing about this anime is that it might actually provide insight into the technical aspects of someone who is a manga artist. Maybe not. Hard to say. I doubt I'll watch it, though.

One Week Friends
I liked 50 First Dates, so I will likely watch this anime.

Brynhildr in the Darkness
Not sure. I don't think this is a good show. I think she's his childhood friend but something happened to the moles, too.

Baby Steps
Not a fan of sports anime, but I will likely watch this one. Seems very interesting.

The World is Still Beautiful
Not sure. How old is the protagonist girl anyway? Should she be sleeping with an 11-year old boy?

The Irregular at Magic High School
This is not a good anime. However, if I could be any fantasy character, I'd be The Incredible Hulk. Just saying....but the smart Hulk.

Mekakucity Actors
After the first episode, I thought I knew what was going on (sort of). After the second, I realized I'm going to have to keep watching if I want to figure out what's going on.

Kamigami no Asobi
No, no, no, no, no.

Captain Earth
Yes because I had a boomerang too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
My Watch List is as follows:

Chaika
If the whole Unicorn bisection thing in ep 1 didn't sell me on this, then the fight in the second did. Genuinely excited to see where this goes.

If her flag breaks
Whilst the LN Fanservice could take a hike for all I care, the humour in this is just so drat bonkers that I just can't not like it. Could go totaly sideways but I'm hopeful.

No Game No Life
Again, LN Fanservice is ahoy in this but with Sora pretty much going "Nah, we're not doing the whole stich with Insest" I'm pretty much good for this. Also there's some great performances being done by the VA in this between Steph's Wryyyyy and Sora basicaly being Kirito on an all coffie diet.

The World is Still Beautiful
It's a soap to be sure but there's something to the characters and the world building in this one that is keeping me intrested.

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Star Crusaders
Because have some taste, damnit :colbert:

ViggyNash posted:

Sooo... does anyone understand what's going on in Mekaku City Actors at all? I'm starting to think it's just Shinbo's playhouse.

I get the distinct impression (After that whole stupid mess with Madoka: Rebellion Prince of Darkness) that all of Shaft is Shinbo's playhouse and god help you if you don't impossibly tilt your head in step with him.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 20, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Shinbo being Shinbo, yup.

Also, stop making a show based on a series of Vocaloid songs sound like something I should check out, guys, you're freaking me out here. :psyduck:

Hey, the nice thing about that sort of thing is that without a definitive source material, it gives a decent amount of freedom! Always good to let Shinbo run wild and that seems to be what he's doing here.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yuki Yase is directing Mekaku, Shinbo's name is just attached to it like its attached to every single Shaft show. Go look up how many of their recent shows have two directors.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
But it's so goddamn -gatari that I can't help but think it's Shinbo.

Most likely Shinbo's working on the -gatari OVA, so it makes sense that he's not lead director on Nisekoi or Mekaku City.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Shinbo basically works for Shaft training animators when he's not directing stuff. Shinbo may have founded the whole Shaft aesthetic, but he's basically created a brand new generation of head-tilters to replace him when he's retired.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

Shinbo basically works for Shaft training animators when he's not directing stuff. Shinbo may have founded the whole Shaft aesthetic, but he's basically created a brand new generation of head-tilters to replace him when he's retired.

god bless him

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This isn't exactly a phenomenon exclusive to Japan. You hear a LOT of teenage/high school nostalgia amongst people around the world. Even in America, you very commonly hear perfectly normal adults say that their high school days were the best years of their life.

There's a difference between saying that high school was the best years years of your life and having a high school setting dominate your media for anything that's not a game/variety show the way it does in Japan. When you have a grizzled combat veteran of a dozen wars or the hardened assassin who's killed a hundred people and they're 14, that's seriously weird. Or like Macross Frontier where everyone in school is either a famous idol or works part-time as a mercenary fighting aliens. The contortions some of these shows have to go through in order to maintain the high school setting when even college would be 100% more believable are pretty amazing. I think that's a bit beyond the occasional bout of nostalgia you get in other parts of the world.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Who would have known that an entertainment medium primarily made for kids and teens has a lot of stuff set in schools.

Why can't japan make more stuff for me, the gaijin who never buys merch.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I find it kinda hard to believe that the average middle aged working man/woman in Japan is glued to the TV watching a bunch of high school shows. Stuff like that is popular I'm sure, for the same reason Harry Potter is the by far best selling book series in history.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Redcrimson posted:

God bless that man. :salute:

aers posted:

Yuki Yase is directing Mekaku, Shinbo's name is just attached to it like its attached to every single Shaft show. Go look up how many of their recent shows have two directors.

Yeah, I went to ANN to check this, specifically, and saw he was down as a plain-old "Director" rather than "Chief Director" or "Supervision" or whatever; I figured that meant he was taking a more hands-on approach this time. :shrug: whatevs~

Though, on the subject of his name being everywhere- looking back, he's only listed as the presumably super-hands-off "Supervision" under his own name, and for the story boarding work he did there as "Soji Homura". Which I'm guessing he did so as not to overshadow Oonuma- but if he's got his name plastered everywhere today, regardless of what he's actually doing on a project, is that a sign that he respects Oonuma more than these new guys, or that his name carries that much more weight today than it did in 2007 or what? :raise:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Namtab posted:

Who would have known that an entertainment medium primarily made for kids and teens has a lot of stuff set in schools.

Why can't japan make more stuff for me, the gaijin who never buys merch.

look at this chump who doesn't own a single body pillow or figure

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atelier Escha & Logy is still going along fine. They're getting into original content territory but still covered the main mission. I think it's going to be interesting to see how they cram it all into 12 episodes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Am I doing this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Namtab posted:

Except the vast majority of this crap is aimed at 20+ year olds in Japan (ie the idiots who buy "merch"), and the fact that the vast majority of stuff made in the West for teens isn't set in schools :ssh:

Try to keep up, yeah?

• Locked thread