Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TARDISman posted:

Lulu, not Rikku. Rikku has one of the better overdrives in the game, but Lulu's is temperamental at best.

Basically, Fury works well with Trio of 9999 - you can basically easily get 16 rotations of something like Fire and hit for 16x9999 damage. Until you start to reach the point where you can easily surpass that damage (like with Attack Reels), it's not a terrible investment, even if it means needing two Overdrives to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
With expert grid it was trivial to have Yuna side step to get the -aga spells. I teleported rikku to the top left to get flare, which was just for Yuna to copy.

And you only have to capture the Kilikia mobs to get the items to give Yuna 1 mp cost. Nice.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Does haggling with Yojimbo in any way affect his chance to use Zanmato?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

MrAristocrates posted:

Does haggling with Yojimbo in any way affect his chance to use Zanmato?

IIRC, the amount paid doesn't matter, but which option of the three you pick before you start haggling DOES matter. You need to pick the "I want to destroy powerful enemies" one, or whatever it says.

There's a Yojimbo FAQ laying around that explains all the variables that go into Zanmato chance, it's pretty insane.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The short version is:

• When hiring him, say "I want to destroy the most powerful enemies" or w.e. that option is called. If you do this, for weak enemies the chance of Zanmato will be slightly lower than normal, for strong enemies like bosses it'll be slightly higher.
  • When you want him to Zanmato, make sure his overdrive gauge is full
  • Never pay him 0 gil
  • Never let him die
  • Never summon and then immediately dismiss him
  • Never pay him so little he gets his dog to attack (Daigoro)
  • Pay him dollar dollar bills and hope for the best

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm not sure how this happened, but Kimahri's become my strongest character. He's just been puttering around the bottom of the sphere grid, so that's probably how, but his strength is like, 15 higher than anyone else's. Just crushing the poo poo out of enemies. Too bad he doesn't do or say anything otherwise.

On that front, is there any place I can buy armor with ribbon on it (or at least confuseproof), or do I need to customize it? Kimahri wiped out my team when he got confused. :saddowns:

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm not sure how this happened, but Kimahri's become my strongest character. He's just been puttering around the bottom of the sphere grid, so that's probably how, but his strength is like, 15 higher than anyone else's. Just crushing the poo poo out of enemies. Too bad he doesn't do or say anything otherwise.

On that front, is there any place I can buy armor with ribbon on it (or at least confuseproof), or do I need to customize it? Kimahri wiped out my team when he got confused. :saddowns:

I think the only way to get ribbon armour is to either customize with 99 dark matter's or they can drop from the dark aeon's. Dark Yojimbo is probably the best source for this as you can essentially fight him as many times as you like.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wish my Kimahri was good. The instant I made it to the Calm Lands his ability to deal damage dropped off a cliff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've just reached the calm lands and I brought Kimhari down Rikku's path enough to get use/steal before doubling back down Lulu's path and now he's pretty useful but not as a physical attacker. The sphere grid is a really neat leveling system and I bet the expert grid is more interesting.

E: I do have a question about the grid. If I use one of the white or black magic spheres, can I then use a teleport sphere to jump development to a different region? That would be a neat way to flip Yuna and Lulu's roles if it's feasible

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Great Lakes Log posted:

E: I do have a question about the grid. If I use one of the white or black magic spheres, can I then use a teleport sphere to jump development to a different region? That would be a neat way to flip Yuna and Lulu's roles if it's feasible

You totally, totally can. Also, hot tip: You're about to get into a boss fight where you will be glad you taught Kimahri steal. Have him steal like there is no tomorrow. Like, 2 or 3 times from each enemy.

EDIT: Wait no, Teleport Spheres let you jump to any node that's been activated by any character _other_ than the one doing the jumping. Return spheres are what let you go to a node that the character themselves have activated, so they'd work with the idea you described. With teleport spheres you don't need to use the Wht/Blk magic sphere first.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I stopped using Lulu once I hit the calm lands and realized that Yuna had a DOUBLE Lulu's magic power.

It wasn't like I was doing anything fancy either, just sending Yuna down her white mage path and Lulu down her black Mage. Maybe the expert sphere grid hosed me?

The summoner shouldn't be critting flans for 4600 when the black Mage can only manage 1300.

No that's how Yuna always is. It's "Balanced" by the fact that Yuna doesn't have much in the way of offensive magic for most of the game... Unless you have Black Magic spheres or take her down Lulu's path for a bit. Oops?

At the moment I don't use Lulu at all (just reached Home). Yuna has more powerful magic and can summon.

My Kimahri has changed into a really weird utility guy. He has Dispel and Reflect WAY before Yuna does, he has Steal and Use alongside Rikku while having twice her HP and more defense. I think he's getting to the point where he's gonna become spread too thin soon but he's been very useful up to this point. Also it really doesn't help that his overdrives are pretty bad... I guess eventually Mighty Guard could see some use.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ugh, getting Blue Magic in FFX-2 is a pain. I've been confusing the Coeurls in Besaid, but every time I do, they use White Wind on themselves instead of me and cure their confusion in the process. Actually, they're using something called "White Highwind", does that still count or have I spent the last hour trying to farm the wrong monsters?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My Kimahri has changed into a really weird utility guy. He has Dispel and Reflect WAY before Yuna does, he has Steal and Use alongside Rikku while having twice her HP and more defense. I think he's getting to the point where he's gonna become spread too thin soon but he's been very useful up to this point. Also it really doesn't help that his overdrives are pretty bad... I guess eventually Mighty Guard could see some use.

Really, Khimari needs some sort of unique ability to gain overdrive twice as fast. His blue magic just isn't good enough to be locked away behind an overdrive that probably only activates once ever five or more battles.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

No that's how Yuna always is. It's "Balanced" by the fact that Yuna doesn't have much in the way of offensive magic for most of the game... Unless you have Black Magic spheres or take her down Lulu's path for a bit. Oops?

At the moment I don't use Lulu at all (just reached Home). Yuna has more powerful magic and can summon.

If you keep going down Yuna's path from where he got Dispel/Reflect he'll get Holy, that'll help keep him relevant enough and Yuna's grid is the ideal one to make his Overdrives actually useful anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you keep going down Yuna's path from where he got Dispel/Reflect he'll get Holy, that'll help keep him relevant enough and Yuna's grid is the ideal one to make his Overdrives actually useful anyway.

I think I have to double back and go the other way, I've been going backwards down her path at this point. Thanks for the tip though, trying to follow the Expert grid down the logical paths eventually gets really confusing when you're trying to do stuff like this. Also Kimahri got a Magic +20% weapon REALLY early, I think they give that to you for free in case you want the option of Magic Kimahri.

Either way I've already decided that endgame I won't be doing Lulu's or Kimahri's weapons, I'm doing Wakka's for sure (yep I'm that guy), especially since I managed to snag Nimrook the first time you get to Home and I already have Status Reels.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mighty Guard is like, the only useful one as the game goes on, to me. Before he decided to Hulk-out on me, I was using him as like 'Eh, I should have somebody else with that spell, just in case. He's closest.' Came in pretty handy when Yuna's out of the party for a bit.

I gave up on Lulu once Yuna got the mid-level elemental spells and was doing higher damage output than her high-level elemental spells. Her job now is 'person I equip the no encounter armor on when I just want to walk around'.

I really like the sphere grid system in this game, now that I've got the hang of it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kimahri's Overdrive is useful just for Stone Breath providing a useful "I am done with this fight" Button.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dr Pepper posted:

Kimahri's Overdrive is useful just for Stone Breath providing a useful "I am done with this fight" Button.

Stone Breath also lets you take out the henchmen in the fights with Seymour and Wendigo. In the Wendigo fight they won't even cast Protect and Shell on him if you petrify them :pseudo:

On the other hand, if you backtracked for the Jecht Sphere you'd have plenty of opportunity to steal Petrify Grenades from Basilisks on the Djose Highroad, and then the whole thing sort of becomes moot.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

Stone Breath also lets you take out the henchmen in the fights with Seymour and Wendigo. In the Wendigo fight they won't even cast Protect and Shell on him if you petrify them :pseudo:

Petrify Grenades do the same thing though right? I have like 30 of those.
Edit: I guess they do :v:

I need to figure out what some of the better mixes are early on because I'm too afraid to use Rikku's overdrive right now.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The majority of Rikku's mixes are elemental attacks of varying intensity - the higher tier ones inflict status effects on top of the damage. Where it really shines (apart from obvious ones like Trio of 9999) is in recovery and protection. A Hi-Potion and a Lv. 1 Keysphere will cure everyone of abnormal statuses and restore HP and MP to full for all 3 party members, even if they're currently KO'd. Two Healing Springs results in Ultra NulAll, which casts Cheer, Focus, Aim, and Reflex times 5, plus all four Nul-spells on everyone.

Stamina Tonic + a red sphere like Ability or Power doubles everyone's Max HP and casts Cheer x 5.

Lunar/Light/Star Curtain or Chocobo Feather + Lv. 1 Key Sphere will cast Shell, Protect, Haste, and Regen on everyone. Etc. etc.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The sad part is that between Use and Mix, Rikku does everything Kimahri's Overdrive does, but better. I think the only one that isn't invalidated outright is Bad Breath, but only because Bad Breath lasts longer than Calamity Bomb. Even then, there are no enemies that's affected by either that should take more than 5 rounds to kill.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blue Magic is just a terribly hard thing to balance. Either it's kinda useless because the easier-to-access spells are better or it's crazy OP.

I think it is at its best when it provides versility. Being able to hit enemy weaknesses you usually can't or having cool unique status effects or whatever, At the end of the day though Mighty Guard and White Wind tend to dominate everything, aside from a few breakout super-OP attacks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

The majority of Rikku's mixes are elemental attacks of varying intensity - the higher tier ones inflict status effects on top of the damage. Where it really shines (apart from obvious ones like Trio of 9999) is in recovery and protection. A Hi-Potion and a Lv. 1 Keysphere will cure everyone of abnormal statuses and restore HP and MP to full for all 3 party members, even if they're currently KO'd. Two Healing Springs results in Ultra NulAll, which casts Cheer, Focus, Aim, and Reflex times 5, plus all four Nul-spells on everyone.

Stamina Tonic + a red sphere like Ability or Power doubles everyone's Max HP and casts Cheer x 5.

Lunar/Light/Star Curtain or Chocobo Feather + Lv. 1 Key Sphere will cast Shell, Protect, Haste, and Regen on everyone. Etc. etc.

Ooh that Hi Potion x Lv 1 Keysphere seems really useful and doesn't use anything too rare, thanks. Still not at the point at which I can throw around Healing Springs and Stamina Tonics, and still way before I can do stuff like Trio of 9999 > Multi hit overdrives. I can also do Lunar Curtain + Lv 1 Key Sphere if I need it, I'll keep these in mind for the tough battles.

I know that once your party can easily break 9999 her Ultra Nul All and such becomes the most useful stuff.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
IIRC, the Trio of 9999 can only be done with some items you win in a mini-game, but you get like 99 from the minigame so you only need to do it once.

Also, it only owns if you don't have break damage limit.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

forbidden lesbian posted:

IIRC, the Trio of 9999 can only be done with some items you win in a mini-game, but you get like 99 from the minigame so you only need to do it once.

Also, it only owns if you don't have break damage limit.

Nah, it can be used for other stuff. The most prevalent strategy for beating up Penance uses a combination of Trio of 9999 and Auto-potion to take care of healing.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
YUNALESCAAAAAA! :argh:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I never thought I'd enjoy FFX-2, but the Creature Creator is such an addiction for me. I've just completed the Besaid sphere hunt in Chapter 1 and my lineup looks like this:

Tonberry
Zuu
Behemoth
Iron Giant
Protochimera
Chocobo
Adamantoise
and one free slot

Also if you complete an Iron Giant's fiend story, the ending cutscene shows that it was really being controlled by PuPu from FF8 the entire time. Meanwhile, Tonberry's fiend story is just him letting you know how happy and carefree Tonberries are. They all live underground and spend their days goofing and joking around with each other. :3:

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 20, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Knowing about the Mega Death trick going in I was able to beat Yunalesca first try, though if the fight had gone on much longer I was probably hosed. It's loving rough trying to heal in that fight, thankfully she occasionally does it for you. :v:

I had way more trouble with Spectral Keeper, which was as far as I had ever gotten in FFX prior to last night. Once I figured out a good strategy for that fight it was just tedious, though, besides the blatant dickishness inherent in giving a boss the ability to hit all of your party members on counter in addition to a regular attack that causes Berserk.

Anyway, the top item on the list of airship destinations is Sin. I assume that if I select that it's the point of no return, right?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Zero Star posted:

Also if you complete an Iron Giant's fiend story, the ending cutscene shows that it was really being controlled by PuPu from FF8 the entire time

Gilgamesh will sink to any old job, but PuPu only ever appears in the finest Final Fantasy productions. :cool:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

Anyway, the top item on the list of airship destinations is Sin. I assume that if I select that it's the point of no return, right?

Minor spoilers for your position: The point of no return is actually deep inside Sin, which is the final dungeon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

YggiDee posted:

Ugh, getting Blue Magic in FFX-2 is a pain. I've been confusing the Coeurls in Besaid, but every time I do, they use White Wind on themselves instead of me and cure their confusion in the process. Actually, they're using something called "White Highwind", does that still count or have I spent the last hour trying to farm the wrong monsters?

It still counts, also try messing around with the fiend tournaments it makes some of the skills (Cry in the Night) a lot more easier to obtain since you can't game over and after you fight a monster in the tournament you can fight whenever you want in the battle simulator.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

I need to figure out what some of the better mixes are early on because I'm too afraid to use Rikku's overdrive right now.

put http://drslice.com/games/ffx/mix in the thread title

And MrAristocrates, if you can save you can back out, so you don't have to worry about potentially getting stuck anywhere.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also mra go get godhand

Go get godhand right now

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Not being able to transfer Al Bhed Primers between different users on PS3 seems like such a dumb design decision.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Occupation posted:

Also mra go get godhand

Go get godhand right now

And don't believe IGN, it's really good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

YggiDee posted:

Give Brother the Gun Mage dressphere and he'll cast it. Can you get it from that?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got it, but why Godhand specifically as opposed to the other Celestial Weapons?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

I got it, but why Godhand specifically as opposed to the other Celestial Weapons?

No-one else's celestial weapon lets you Dragon Kick their rear end into the Milky Way Milky Way

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Godhand has Gillionaire on it, which as you might suspect, increases the amount of gil you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

MrAristocrates posted:

Probably because its the easiest to get, and then fully power up. Acquiring it just needs the password on the airship; Lulu's is also super easy to get, since its just chilling at Baaj. Problem there is lightning dodging.

Also Godhand has Gillionaire when at full power which helps a ton if you care about anything that needs lots of money.