Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
According to HERE, she used the sock pattern to make the cardigan.

The Rav page for the project is here

EDIT: That will teach me not to check before I post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I feel kind of dumb, I was looking for it on Ravelry and somehow never found it. Thank you!!!

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

jomiel posted:

I totally have this favorited on Ravelry :)

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/jettshin/nightingale
is the project

she adapted it from a sock pattern
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nightingale-2

Ah. I was looking at that sweater thinking that one make some awesome-looking socks. Well, I am currently working on my first sock (which has taken me about 6 months, and I just now finally finished the heel and gusset), so maybe in a decade or two my skills will be good enough to try this. :allears:

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question(I have not had much experience purchasing yarns online). When I buy certain yarns (like malabrigo) at my LYS, I notice that in comes in hanks that I can't immediately use, and I have to have it wound into useable skeins or balls). Are there websites that when you order these yarns will wind it into useable skeins/balls before they ship it to you? I don't own a yarn winder, and Although I try to support the LYS, they are 2 hours away and if I could order online it would help a lot.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

laertes22 posted:

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question(I have not had much experience purchasing yarns online). When I buy certain yarns (like malabrigo) at my LYS, I notice that in comes in hanks that I can't immediately use, and I have to have it wound into useable skeins or balls). Are there websites that when you order these yarns will wind it into useable skeins/balls before they ship it to you? I don't own a yarn winder, and Although I try to support the LYS, they are 2 hours away and if I could order online it would help a lot.

I am pretty sure Jimmy Beans Wool can do them. You pay a small fee and they can do it before shipping to you. I don't normally wind skeins until I actually use them (or start the project). I don't remember if Eat Sleep Knit will.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

laertes22 posted:

I'd rather have them as hanks. You can wind them by hand (though yes it's tiring and takes a while), but storing yarn as a ball wound by hand or with a winder can be bad for it since it's under tension, and especially with a stretchy fiber like merino it can be sort of stretched out of shape until it's blocked, then it resets and might distort your fabric a bit. I mean, it's a very small thing, but you never know when it makes a project look strange.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I ordered a ball winder from Knitpicks for $20 and a wooden table swift from Etsy for about $30. This is probably the cheapest way to solve this problem.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Peppercat posted:

I ordered a ball winder from Knitpicks for $20 and a wooden table swift from Etsy for about $30. This is probably the cheapest way to solve this problem.

I have the knitpicks winder as well and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. So handy!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Thirding this. I wound one hank of lace by hand and pretty much immediately bought the KnitPicks winder the day after because never again.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Thanks for all the answers to my question. Has anyone bought one of the KnitPick winders recently? $20 sounds like a good deal, but I've heard a lot about their quality going down recently. However, I think I might want an inexpensive, good quality winder, and $20 seems a good price.

edit: Also, any recs for an inexpensive, good quality yarn swift?

djinndarc fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 20, 2014

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
JoAnns does 50% off coupons fairly regularly and sells swifts on their website. That's how I got mine.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I got a swift from The Oregon Woodworker because it looked hard to break, and if it did had parts I could easily repair/replace myself.

It's not quite as adjustable as an umbrella swift, but I haven't found anything it can't handle yet. I got the Mama Bear version, their cheapest, for $55. (I realize I could probably have made a version of this myself for much cheaper, but I don't have any woodworking tools so am willing to pay somebody else to do it for me.)

They also sell Royal winders for $42.

Those are probably more than you are looking to spend, though. A winder makes so much difference-- get the one you can afford sooner rather than later!

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

laertes22 posted:

Thanks for all the answers to my question. Has anyone bought one of the KnitPick winders recently? $20 sounds like a good deal, but I've heard a lot about their quality going down recently. However, I think I might want an inexpensive, good quality winder, and $20 seems a good price.

edit: Also, any recs for an inexpensive, good quality yarn swift?

I bought the knitpicks winder maybe 6 months ago. If you decide to throw it across the room or kick it or something it will break, but I think for normal use the construction is solid enough.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

effika posted:

I got a swift from The Oregon Woodworker because it looked hard to break, and if it did had parts I could easily repair/replace myself.

It's not quite as adjustable as an umbrella swift, but I haven't found anything it can't handle yet. I got the Mama Bear version, their cheapest, for $55. (I realize I could probably have made a version of this myself for much cheaper, but I don't have any woodworking tools so am willing to pay somebody else to do it for me.)

They also sell Royal winders for $42.

Those are probably more than you are looking to spend, though. A winder makes so much difference-- get the one you can afford sooner rather than later!

That is more than I wanted to pay, bit I'd rather pay more for something quality that will last, over something inexpensive that might break. Thanks for linking that site. I like that they sell their yarn swift as a set with a royal winder. May save up to get that combo.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
They don't sell winders, but I bought my swift from theknitstore on etsy. Cheap and really good quality, nice solid wood. They don't have umbrella swifts either, but I'm clumsy and always worried about breaking one of those.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I also got my swift from theknitstore on Etsy. It's awesome. Easily collapses for easy storage. Never had a problem with it in the almost 2 years I've owned it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Wish I knew about them a few years ago! That's definitely a good price for a swift.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My mom gave me this tabletop swift last year as a replacement for my umbrella swift, which I always found annoying to use. Love the table swift. http://www.amazon.com/ChiaoGoo-Yarn-Swift-Wooden-Tabletop/dp/B0033F0A40
I have the KnitPicks yarn winder, it's been in regular use for about 6 years now, and still works fine. I'm sure there are better, smoother ones out there, but for normal home-knitter use, it will do just fine.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

I finally finished Alivia with only a few minor mistakes (aargh, lace).

I screwed up weaving in the ends in the garter section but it's only really noticeable when I hold it up to the light. Also, is there an easy way to fix a blocking wire that's bent to poo poo? One of mine looks like a wiggly snake.

This is just Knitpicks Palette wool in Bison that had been in my stash forever. I'd like to do it again in a silk or silk blend, if I ever manage to get some spun.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

I think I've pretty much made up my mind on saving up and getting a "mama bear plus" yarn swift and royal yarn winder combo pack from oregon woodworker/yarwswifts.com

I have a DPN related question. I finally finished my first sock this past Saturday/Easter-eve (yay me!), and I am thinking that making socks on DPNs is going to be my thing for a while. For the pattern I'm using next (and to match my foot measurements), I have to cast on 90 stitches, arranged over 3 DPNs (so 30 st per needle, i guess). The DPNs are obviously too short for 90 stitches, so I am probably going to cast on some, then slip some onto another needle...rinse and repeat until 30 st per needle. I am kind of dreading this. Is there a better way to go about this-for example, a way to cast on across multiple needles instead of slipping stitches? I should note that I use the version of long tail cast on where you hold your hand like a fake gun with yarn resting on thumb and index, and the bottom 3 fingers hold the ends of the yarn. Maybe there is a better way to cast on for what I am trying to do?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
90 stitches seems like a ton for a sock, are you sure? I think casting on and slipping stitches is actually the better bet with DPNs because it helps prevent any gaps between needles. Also, you might want to do a stretchier cast-on. I like the German twisted, unless that's what you mean already!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I do long tail cast on across multiple DPNs like what you want all the time. When I get the 30 or whatever on the first needle, I wedge the needle between my knees and then line the next one up and start casting on to the next. Once the first stitch or two are on the new needle, you can stop propping the first needle up and just let it hang out. Rinse and repeat for the remaining needles you add.

Biggest thing to watch for is make sure that nothing is twisted when you're done, but you have to check for that anyway.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

90 stitches seems like a ton for a sock, are you sure? I think casting on and slipping stitches is actually the better bet with DPNs because it helps prevent any gaps between needles. Also, you might want to do a stretchier cast-on. I like the German twisted, unless that's what you mean already!

Yes, the pattern calls for 90 stitches and is for a US men's size 13-14, which is what I wear.

e: Going to check out that German Twist CO. Thanks!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

TastesLikeChicken posted:

I finally finished Alivia with only a few minor mistakes (aargh, lace).

It's nice! And yes with lace I just assume it's a given that I'll have some mistakes because I never remember to have a security thread or whatever going through and sometimes if I'm 3/4 through a row and I realize I'm a stitch off I just say screw it, I'll compensate next row and block it a bit more.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Just wanted to give a shout out to the goon that hipped me to Oregon Woodworker/yarnswifts.com and the other goon who told me about the German Twisted/Old Norwegian cast on.

I ended up ordering the basic mama bear yarnswift with the high use upgrade/Royal yarn winder combo deal.

Also, German Twisted/Old Norwegian CO is officially my new favorite cast on, especially for anything that needs to be stretchy. Need to find me an equally stretchy bind off, and I will be in business!

Thanks for your help!

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Anybody in here speak Finnish? lol

I found a sweater I really want to knit, and of course the pattern is in Finnish. I ran it through Google translate and I think I understand the instructions, but the lace pattern sheet can't be translated and I'd hate to start something and get halfway through and realize I can't figure it out.

http://www.novita.fi/index.php?cms_cname=neulemallisivu&nlm_id=91565

That's the pattern. If anyone has seen another pattern (preferably in English!) similar to that, I'd love that instead.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I recommended the German twisted cast-on. Glad I could help someone else escape the long-tail cast-on. My favorite stretchy bind-off is Jeny's surprisingly stretchy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Nione posted:

I found a sweater I really want to knit, and of course the pattern is in Finnish. I ran it through Google translate and I think I understand the instructions, but the lace pattern sheet can't be translated and I'd hate to start something and get halfway through and realize I can't figure it out.

That's the pattern. If anyone has seen another pattern (preferably in English!) similar to that, I'd love that instead.
Here's the Ravelry link. At least one English-speaking person has done it, so I would try to get in touch with her (politely obv) if specific questions come up. It looks like googling "Finnish English knitting terms" will let you work out the lace chart symbols. Then you could always do a swatch of just one repeat of the chart to make sure it looks like it should.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Anne Whateley posted:

Here's the Ravelry link. At least one English-speaking person has done it, so I would try to get in touch with her (politely obv) if specific questions come up. It looks like googling "Finnish English knitting terms" will let you work out the lace chart symbols. Then you could always do a swatch of just one repeat of the chart to make sure it looks like it should.

That's a good idea, thanks. I found it on Ravelry, but I didn't even think to look and see who else had made it.

Suncut
Dec 23, 2008

Is the Baroness of Luge attending the ball? Poor thing! Her wigs are all so decidedly frumpy.

Nione posted:

I can help translate, though my English knitting terminology might a bit.. lacking. Just let me know which part you were having trouble with.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

laertes22 posted:

Need to find me an equally stretchy bind off, and I will be in business!

Here you go.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

laertes22 posted:

Just wanted to give a shout out to the goon that hipped me to Oregon Woodworker/yarnswifts.com

Thanks for your help!

Glad I could help! I've been very happy with both my swift & Royal winder.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
Just an FYI in case anyone is interested but Ravelry and Jimmy Beans Wool is doing another KAL (knit-a-long) for Game of Thrones:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/game-of-thrones-mystery-kal-2014

The "Fire and Blood" yarn looks pretty neat.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Nibblet posted:

Just an FYI in case anyone is interested but Ravelry and Jimmy Beans Wool is doing another KAL (knit-a-long) for Game of Thrones:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/game-of-thrones-mystery-kal-2014

The "Fire and Blood" yarn looks pretty neat.

Aaaa that's cool, thank you for the heads up

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
Can I just say that I really hate assembling toys? Does anyone know the best way of sewing limbs and ears and such on in an easy manner? I've just been looping them through the stitches on the surface and then pulling them up through each limb so the tail is gone, and then reinforcing with regular sewing thread. It's so tedious. ;_;

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So I did something insane while me and the GF were on vacation. We were going to be on a train for like 9 hours to get to our destination, so, you know, knitting. After a week I have this:

I want something throw blanket-sized, so holy buckets will this take a while, but it's pretty mindless.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Mad Hamish posted:

So I did something insane while me and the GF were on vacation. We were going to be on a train for like 9 hours to get to our destination, so, you know, knitting. After a week I have this:

I want something throw blanket-sized, so holy buckets will this take a while, but it's pretty mindless.

I started one of those to use up scraps when I finish a skein and don't have enough for a full project. I'm just going to keep adding to it and see how huge it gets.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

That is beautiful.
Is there a pattern for that? Or a name for that style of throw?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

laertes22 posted:

That is beautiful.
Is there a pattern for that? Or a name for that style of throw?

It's a 10 stitch blanket, a free pattern on Rav.

Finished a stack of orange projects lately. Slightly obsessed with this colourway so I decided to knit my winter accessories in it.

Dripstones Cowl

Minerva

Treads

And Smocked Sheaf Beret

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Gah I do not need more cowl patterns, I'm even working on one right now, but I like that pattern a lot.