Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
When I get powerful enough that the game is boring, what I like to do is switch to another ruler. Then you get to see how the AI handles your former empire, and if it's stable enough it could serve as an interesting opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

computer parts posted:

Wait for Mongols and/or Sunset Invasion if you have that installed?

Speaking of which, have people actually had successful Aztec invasions in their games? Mine mostly peter out after they conquer Britannia and then they convert to Catholicism.

I guess I could, but those are still a couple of centuries away, arent they? The aztecs probably could never reach me and for the mongols, I guess me and my pals from the byzantine can easily hold then.

Perhaps I should switch to another (far away) nation after I form the Russian Empire, so I can start again but still playing the same game world (which got pretty interesting). And it could be fun to watch how the AI handles that huge empire I left for it.

EDIT: ^^^^^^^exactly what I was thinking

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Speaking of which, have people actually had successful Aztec invasions in their games? Mine mostly peter out after they conquer Britannia and then they convert to Catholicism.

The last one I saw landed in Morocco and conquered all of Spain and the north coast of Africa most of the way to Egypt. They still control Spain but I had a few things to say about them occupying Africa. Right now they're Catholic and are in a dick punching competition with the HRE after being in a long-term dick punching competition with Aquitaine.'

The one before that landed in Ireland and completely wrecked my poo poo so I never saw how far they got beyond Ireland, Scotland, England, and France.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So I'm playing a Patrician in a Merchant Republic and I've just taken the coastal province of a city I own - but now I'm a count. I don't want to be a count, but I can't just give away the castle I took - how do I make the city the county's primary title?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Revoke a city in the province and it should automagically turn into the primary holding. If there isn't one to revoke, you'll have to build one.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

computer parts posted:

Wait for Mongols and/or Sunset Invasion if you have that installed?

I've had Aztecs conquer most of the Isles and Iberia, plus northern France, and were able to reform the faith.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Revoke a city in the province and it should automagically turn into the primary holding. If there isn't one to revoke, you'll have to build one.

I own a city in the holding, but there isn't another one for me to revoke. There's no way for me to make the city I already own the primary holding?

Building another city is going to be super expensive.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oh, hmm, that's a tricky one. You tried save/reload? Or letting it run until the end of the year? It should flip automatically; if it's not then the game's having a brainfart and you'll need to trick it into noticing what's going on. Maybe try giving away the city and then revoking it? You're still a republic, yeah?

Might be able to fix it with save game editing.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
Quick question: As a Muslim, is there any other way than manually revoking all Mayors/Bishops/Counts after a invasion? I mean as to get rid of non-believer rulers.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Oh, hmm, that's a tricky one. You tried save/reload? Or letting it run until the end of the year? It should flip automatically; if it's not then the game's having a brainfart and you'll need to trick it into noticing what's going on. Maybe try giving away the city and then revoking it? You're still a republic, yeah?

Might be able to fix it with save game editing.

Making a vassal from the city and then revoking it then worked.

...Means I've taken a big vassal opinion penalty though.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
I think i ran into a bug. My heirs cannot move the capital upon succession (muslim shia). I'd love to move it from tunis to cairo, because I am mainly expanding east. :(

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

wilbur.walsh posted:

Quick question: As a Muslim, is there any other way than manually revoking all Mayors/Bishops/Counts after a invasion? I mean as to get rid of non-believer rulers.

Occupy the top level holding in every province during the war.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

occipitallobe posted:

I think he's playing as the Republic of Gotland (titular duchy) which will in time have the county of Gotland drift into it de jure.

No, counties cannot experience de-jure drift.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

wilbur.walsh posted:

Revoke one county per duchy, grant it and the duchy to a good Muslim. All those infidel assholes are his problem now. :getin:

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
I think i have been playing muslim wrong. Every generation I have a huge amount of offspring which i consequently land. Because I read unlanded sons generate decadence. But that's apparently not the case anymore? So landing Dynasty members as muslim is not feasable anymore?

Now I have like 45% Decadence with like +1% per month, but mostly generated by family members outside of my realm. Anything I can do about that?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The Patrician thing is becasue both castles and cities are valid holdings for them so you gotta finesse it to get a city on top.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

wilbur.walsh posted:

I think i have been playing muslim wrong. Every generation I have a huge amount of offspring which i consequently land. Because I read unlanded sons generate decadence. But that's apparently not the case anymore? So landing Dynasty members as muslim is not feasable anymore?

Now I have like 45% Decadence with like +1% per month, but mostly generated by family members outside of my realm. Anything I can do about that?

Decadence is only generated by decadent characters, so landed or not landed, it doesn't matter any more.

Can't you tell decadent characters to straighten up on the Religion screen? You could always assassinate them if they refuse.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
To hop in on retinue chat, I think it's generally worthwhile to build your cultural retinues, yeah. Depending on the type of retinue you might want to mix in some of the generic units, too. For example, you'd probably want to mix in Shock retinues (400 Heavy Infantry, 100 Archers) with both elephant (470 Archer, 30 Elephants) and pure archer retinues. Archers are weak defensively and having too high a proportion of archers opens up nasty tactics for your opponent. You probably don't want to march 5,000 worth of elephant levies into a similarly sized army, a bad tactics roll or two and you'll eat high casualties and a ton of morale damage. I've been playing in India a fair bit and usually build 2 Shock : 1 Steel Bow retinues, which gives me 800 HI, 670 Archers, 30 elephants.

If you're strictly using retinues to beef up your regular levies it's not such an issue. But it's a good idea to mix in Heavy Infantry (Shock) retinues with archers and vice versa if you have pike or HI culture retinues (add some archers).

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 20, 2014

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Rejected Fate posted:

So I'm playing a Patrician in a Merchant Republic and I've just taken the coastal province of a city I own - but now I'm a count. I don't want to be a count, but I can't just give away the castle I took - how do I make the city the county's primary title?
FYI there is no problem when a patrician owns a castle and a count title, except for the fact your palace will move to your primary title capital province when you aren't doge. The whole moving palace may have sometime have advantages (like seeing all your rivals patricians' revenue turn to poo poo when the capital is raided while your palace revenue stay intact in province), other times it's a source of problem if it move in less taxes efficient province (when you aren't Doge). But as long as your top title is one rank under your republic top title, you are safe.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 20, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I've been playing in India a fair bit and usually build 2 Shock : 1 Steel Bow retinues, which gives me 800 HI, 670 Archers, 30 elephants.

You only need 1:1 Shock and Steel Bow in order to avoid Charge on Undefended. Going 2:1 just reduces you chances of getting the really OP Crushing Charge and Grey Wall tactics.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Playing the updated for Rajas Game of thrones Mod for CKII (v0.6.1)

Started a new game as Lord Selwyn the Evenstar (Brienne of Tarth's father). The Baratheons soon died out, Selwyn bent the knee and became Lord Paramount of the Stormlands. I'd been grooming Brienne for succession but Selwyn ended up producing a male heir (Brienne died a maid). I was mildly disappointed at first for RP reasons - then the heir developed the imbecile trait.

But apparently the little lordling was destined for greatness because in the midst of the Westerosi chaos, King Joffrey was forced to abdicate the throne to his eldest unmarried daughter, Tinessa. Selwyn survived to see his son become Idiot King Consort. He mercifully died before their marriage, or Tinessa rather, would make a mockery of the throne and all the vows of the kingdom.

Tinessa was truly her grandmother's granddaughter. During her multi-decade reign as Queen and later Queen regent, she birthed and legitimized (to House Tarth's shame) more bastards than true heirs. One by Oberyn Martell (can't really blame her for this one), one by a Kettleblack, another with the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard (and her cousin by blood), and the last with the High Septon of the Iron Throne. Probably Moonboy too for all I know.

The Idiot King Consort at least had enough wits to smother that last bastard (the only male bastard) to guarantee the throne for his true heirs, recouping some honor for House Tarth before passing away.

The kingdom is in shambles, the realm divided, and a boy king of suspected bastardy rules. All hail His Grace, Rhaegar of House Tarth, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm!

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 21, 2014

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I've run into a bug, I guess. I took Rome from the Pope as the Byzantines, but for whatever reason it just gave me the county title and not any of the baronies. One of the baronies was owned by Italy, so I snapped that up quick, but the rest are owned by vassal barons of the Pope. I can't declare war on the Pope because he has no landed titles and I can't declare war on the barons because the Pope is their liege so they aren't independent. I need the whole county to mend the Schism and the Empire.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Get him to inherit one of the castles. If there's only cities and temples left you're out of luck because those are only inherited by randomly created characters.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

grancheater posted:

Get him to inherit one of the castles. If there's only cities and temples left you're out of luck because those are only inherited by randomly created characters.

More on this: it should only cost 50 gold to stab anyone in the barony. I've noticed the pope gives the barony away immediately after he inherits it, so make sure you have the game paused before you stab the last guy before the pope inherits, then declare war immediately for a county claim on the cities or bishoprics available. Leave the baronies to last or your screwed. Also make sure your truce is up before you start stabbing, so you can declare without a penalty.

Edit: actually, I wonder if you can give the pope a barony if you own them both in Rome, might be away around that situation.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

grancheater posted:

Unfortunately it's a city and a temple so that's not gonna work.

I know that catholics can give him land but I don't think that's gonna happen since the only Catholics left are Italy, which has 3 counties, and Scotland, which I don't think has been at peace for more than a month at a time ever.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
This was posted about a couple pages back, I think the solution was to create the duchy of Latium as you can press de jure claims against the Pope? Not sure, but if you dig back you'll find out what it was

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

cock hero flux posted:

Unfortunately it's a city and a temple so that's not gonna work.

I know that catholics can give him land but I don't think that's gonna happen since the only Catholics left are Italy, which has 3 counties, and Scotland, which I don't think has been at peace for more than a month at a time ever.

Are you able to give him one of the baronies back?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Elias_Maluco posted:

Do you guys ever play from the TOG start date to the time limit? I was planning to do that, but now I am approaching the regular start date and Im already almost out of goals.

I'm in a similar situation...but a bit worse.

I always played on very easy, and even then I'd run into problems. Then I started watching YouTube videos and now I actually understand how most everything works. So I started as a count in Scotland to see what I could do, still on very easy.

The year is now 1175. The Empire of Alba is long gone, replaced by the Roman Empire. The Schism has been mended, and almost...everything is conquered. Rus still has a few counties, and then there's Perm and Cumania. The Arabian Peninsula is still fighting, but I'll get them soon enough.

I think my next goal is to convert back to Catholicism? Now that almost everyone is Orthodox, why not get them to switch back? I'm making 175 gold a month, but I feel like I could make more with a vassal Pope again. I might also end up doing the "play as someone else" strategy, but at this point there's nobody else really left to play as.

Next game I'll definitely be bumping up the difficulty.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The difficulty settings don't actually do much, though, do they? It's just a bonus to fertility and morale.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Are you able to give him one of the baronies back?

No, I'm Orthodox and it won't let me.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

cryptoclastic posted:

I think my next goal is to convert back to Catholicism? Now that almost everyone is Orthodox, why not get them to switch back? I'm making 175 gold a month, but I feel like I could make more with a vassal Pope again. I might also end up doing the "play as someone else" strategy, but at this point there's nobody else really left to play as.

Try some internal politics. Play as the weakest count in the empire and gain the emperorship.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

theDOWmustflow posted:

Playing the updated for Rajas Game of thrones Mod for CKII (v0.6.1)

Started a new game as Lord Selwyn the Evenstar (Brienne of Tarth's father). The Baratheons soon died out, Selwyn bent the knee and became Lord Paramount of the Stormlands. I'd been grooming Brienne for succession but Selwyn ended up producing a male heir (Brienne died a maid). I was mildly disappointed at first for RP reasons - then the heir developed the imbecile trait.

But apparently the little lordling was destined for greatness because in the midst of the Westerosi chaos, King Joffrey was forced to abdicate the throne to his eldest unmarried daughter, Tinessa. Selwyn survived to see his son become Idiot King Consort. He mercifully died before their marriage, or Tinessa rather, would make a mockery of the throne and all the vows of the kingdom.

Tinessa was truly her grandmother's granddaughter. During her multi-decade reign as Queen and later Queen regent, she birthed and legitimized (to House Tarth's shame) more bastards than true heirs. One by Oberyn Martell (can't really blame her for this one), one by a Kettleblack, another with the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard (and her cousin by blood), and the last with the High Septon of the Iron Throne. Probably Moonboy too for all I know.

The Idiot King Consort at least had enough wits to smother that last bastard (the only male bastard) to guarantee the throne for his true heirs, recouping some honor for House Tarth before passing away.

The kingdom is in shambles, the realm divided, and a boy king of suspected bastardy rules. All hail His Grace, Rhaegar of House Tarth, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm!

It's funny, the GoT mod is what got me to buy CK2 in the first place, but I just haven't been able to get into the mod relative to how much time I've put into the regular game. The first time I played I took Robb Stark during ACoK and beat back the Lannisters. Then Stannis took the the Iron Throne, executed Jaime, Cersei, and Tyrion and Tywin swore fealty to the North and with Riverlands/Westerlands/North combined managed to gain Northern independence. After that though it just didn't seem much to do other than try and find some way to claim the Iron Throne (how?) and wait for the truce to expire with Stannis.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Has anyone managed to find out what happens if you shank one of the horde leaders before they get a chance to do anything in Rajas of India? I'm thinking about giving a Zoroastrian game another shot since I was so close to success before the savegame-destroying patch, and it would be nice to know if I could end a few of those hordes before they begin.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Has anyone managed to find out what happens if you shank one of the horde leaders before they get a chance to do anything in Rajas of India? I'm thinking about giving a Zoroastrian game another shot since I was so close to success before the savegame-destroying patch, and it would be nice to know if I could end a few of those hordes before they begin.

I don't know if it's possible to kill horde leaders out of battle– when Seljuk showed up in the game as a courtier, I wasn't able to perform any plots against him. I took on his mini horde like a champ though, and it was a nice climactic invasion I repelled before I proclaimed myself the Shaoshyant. (If you don't have the Immortals as a vassal before then, you may be screwed.) I saved right afterwards, and I think I'll force Seljuk to accept that there are but two gods, and the one of light speaks through me. He'll be an excellent marshal. :black101:

EDIT: Speaking of Persia, is anyone else having GFX problems? My horse archers don't have horse archer graphics and instead show up as Western European Light Cavalry models.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Spiderfist Island posted:

EDIT: Speaking of Persia, is anyone else having GFX problems? My horse archers don't have horse archer graphics and instead show up as Western European Light Cavalry models.

Not as Persia specifically but I have definitely seen sub-saharan light infantry models on a german count's own levies after RoI.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Spiderfist Island posted:

I had tons of them, and eventually just reinstalled, which seemed to fix them all.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

edit: I'm an idiot. I thought it was 50% of de jure counties to form an empire.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

The difficulty settings don't actually do much, though, do they? It's just a bonus to fertility and morale.

There's a difficulty setting? :psyduck:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh look, France fragmented into a bajillion pieces. Time to make a move. For Brittany!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Does France ever not immediately explode into fragments? I've seen it happen in literally every game I've played.

• Locked thread