Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The new monster looks kind of like the alien from the start of Men In Black to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Did they paint part of the TARDIS green or is it a perspective thing that confuses my stereoblind mind?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bicyclops posted:

Did they paint part of the TARDIS green or is it a perspective thing that confuses my stereoblind mind?

It's light bouncing back off the green screen canvas they have erected just out of shot.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tomtrek posted:

There was some Series 8 filming today, and someone took a lot of pictures and put them all on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugim0e/sets/72157642563478994/

Highlights include:

Clara in a suit (very Season 11 Sarah Jane):

OMG they are SO doing Pertwee and I am going to LOVE every minute of it. :swoon:

The one thing that strikes me about those pics is how much fun they seem to be having doing the filming. :3:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:allears:

Calling it right now, this is going to be the best series of Nu Who.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Tomtrek posted:

Clara in a suit (very Season 11 Sarah Jane):

With the jacket pushed back like that, 12 looks like Doctor Dad.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm not usually one to make such comments, but drat Coleman (and Capaldi) are looking fine.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I hope the next photos have him driving Bessie or the Whomobile.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
So there's a rumour going around that the first three or four episodes of the next series will be about Clara having to re-teach the Doctor how to be the Doctor, presumably because of some post-new regeneration cycle :techno: that makes him all amnesiac or something.

It's a pretty generalised internet one, not one from people I personally know, so take it with a pinch of salt - but it does seem like the kind of raking-over-the-sandpit-to-better-suit-himself thing Moffat likes to do, does make Super Companion Clara once again vital to the Doctor's life, and the dialogue at the end of the last episode does kind of point towards it.

I hope it's bolllocks, though, because poo poo sucks.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
It's the perfect Internet rumor because it could go either way. My rational mind says that surely Moffat isn't hack enough (yet) to literally use the same plot device three+ times in a row, but deep down it feels frighteningly plausible.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope the next photos have him driving Bessie or the Whomobile.

At this point I have to assume there is no way this is NOT happening...

Barry Foster posted:

So there's a rumour going around that the first three or four episodes of the next series will be about Clara having to re-teach the Doctor how to be the Doctor, presumably because of some post-new regeneration cycle :techno: that makes him all amnesiac or something.

It's a pretty generalised internet one, not one from people I personally know, so take it with a pinch of salt - but it does seem like the kind of raking-over-the-sandpit-to-better-suit-himself thing Moffat likes to do, does make Super Companion Clara once again vital to the Doctor's life, and the dialogue at the end of the last episode does kind of point towards it.

I hope it's bolllocks, though, because poo poo sucks.

Amnesiac Doctor after regeneration is a fine vintage plot though. Maybe the Rani will show up? Of course, there was one particular Doctor who did that for a bit...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There had better be a scene where Capaldi makes a daring escape in a wheelchair then sings in the shower and pinches a guy's car because he likes the look of it.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

PriorMarcus posted:

Also I'm fairly sure that's the only spacesuit costume the show has.

That does kinda make sense though. I mean, the current NASA space suit has pretty much looked the same for decades, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the suit shown in some episodes (assuming within a certain timeframe) is the same suit design.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

James R posted:

That does kinda make sense though. I mean, the current NASA space suit has pretty much looked the same for decades, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the suit shown in some episodes (assuming within a certain timeframe) is the same suit design.

It's literally the same suit. Other pictures of the guy in it, you can clearly see the Sanctuary Base 6 patch on it still, making me assume the Doctor is lending it out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Looks like Capaldi will still be using the sonic:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/25/peter-capaldi-gets-his-hands-on-the-sonic-screwdriver-as-doctor-who-filming-continues-4677743/

and apparently an orange lab coat.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Isn't that what would be called a, "Warehouse Coat"?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pretty sure the orange coat's just weird lighting unless he's slowly turning into a carrot too

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Pretty sure the orange coat's just weird lighting unless he's slowly turning into a carrot too

It's a kind of orange brown under more neutral lighting. Also, the Doctor still runs funny.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Man, that run makes me think Capaldi's doctor is going to be a lot of fun.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

In other news, Clara may well now have a personality. In an interview with Doctor Who Magazine, Moffat played up that Clara is "clever, sceptical, hard-to-impress". Moffat implied in the interview that he's interested in exploring how this affects her dynamic with the TARDIS, which won't be boring and redundant after The Doctor's Wife at all. Also the episode in which Twelve wears the Warehouse or Lab coat is called Kill The Moon. Ben Miller is playing the Villain in a sci-fi take on Robin Hood called The Robots of Sherwood written by Mark Gatiss. Gatiss has poo poo'd the idea that the time lords will return because apparently making them into lame-o-zoid Oxbridge House of Lords dweebs is somehow less interesting than treating them as generic super powerful god-like aliens.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Republican Vampire posted:

Gatiss has poo poo'd the idea that the time lords will return because apparently making them into lame-o-zoid Oxbridge House of Lords dweebs is somehow less interesting than treating them as generic super powerful god-like aliens.

This is true though, it's why they're interesting when Troughton firsts meets them and get progressively less interesting throughout the Baker era.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

This is true though, it's why they're interesting when Troughton firsts meets them and get progressively less interesting throughout the Baker era.

I disagree. I absolutely love the idea of a seemingly godlike race actually being preening, senatorial and ineffectual. When Troughton meets them they frankly come off as pretty generic, arbitrary and boring.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also interesting to know his take if he's being groomed by Moffat as a future showrunner. It may mean that Moffat wouldn't bring them back out of deference to his successor, and Gatiss would never bring them back.

If of course there was any truth to the speculation that Gatiss is being considered, or that Moffat is even leaving soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

In other news, Clara may well now have a personality. In an interview with Doctor Who Magazine, Moffat played up that Clara is "clever, sceptical, hard-to-impress". Moffat implied in the interview that he's interested in exploring how this affects her dynamic with the TARDIS, which won't be boring and redundant after The Doctor's Wife at all. Also the episode in which Twelve wears the Warehouse or Lab coat is called Kill The Moon. Ben Miller is playing the Villain in a sci-fi take on Robin Hood called The Robots of Sherwood written by Mark Gatiss. Gatiss has poo poo'd the idea that the time lords will return because apparently making them into lame-o-zoid Oxbridge House of Lords dweebs is somehow less interesting than treating them as generic super powerful god-like aliens.

Ben Miller is loving awesome, can't wait for that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I always preferred the stuck-up, pedantic, obscenely privileged but still basically human portrayal of Time Lords - it's part of why I think Looms are dumb.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

In an interview with Doctor Who Magazine, Moffat played up that Clara is "clever, sceptical, hard-to-impress".

Yeah, that still sounds like every Moffatt-written female character ever.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
That sounds like Donna.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

I disagree. I absolutely love the idea of a seemingly godlike race actually being preening, senatorial and ineffectual. When Troughton meets them they frankly come off as pretty generic, arbitrary and boring.

Robert Holmes hated the original depiction of the Time Lords too, more specifically the idea of them being godlike superbeings dropping out of the sky to sort everything out. Which is why he turned Gallifrey into the Vatican in The Deadly Assassin.

This also led to probably one of the first recorded examples of FAN OUTRAGE courtesy of the president of the Doctor Who Appreciation Society - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxGpCeoE6Bk

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Looks like we'll be getting an episode get in the Medieval period?

http://theconsultinghobbit.tumblr.com/post/83023307261/caerphilly-castle-17-04

EDIT: Apparently it's for Mark Gatiss' episode which might be about Robin Hood, with Da Vinci's Demons' Tom Riley as Robin Hood.
http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/robin-hood-themed-ep-for-s8-update.html

Tomtrek fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 20, 2014

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Tomtrek posted:

Looks like we'll be getting an episode get in the Medieval period?

http://theconsultinghobbit.tumblr.com/post/83023307261/caerphilly-castle-17-04

EDIT: Apparently it's for Mark Gatiss' episode which might be about Robin Hood, with Da Vinci's Demons' Tom Riley as Robin Hood.
http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/robin-hood-themed-ep-for-s8-update.html

That should be a fun episode. Maybe we'll get lucky and actually get a Historical this season. That'd be very nice.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Nope. It's going to be about Robin Hood fighting a monster and it will most likely be a bit rubbish.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rumor is it's called something like "Robots of Sherwood".

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Isn't it the one with the return of the clockwork robots from GitFP?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Got a source on that? Because if that's true uggggghhhhh

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PriorMarcus posted:

Supposedly that's the first episode and this is the third episode.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Fungah! posted:

Got a source on that? Because if that's true uggggghhhhh

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about that rumor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Robots and Robin Hood sounds like it could be a lot of fun, you bunch of party poopers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

Robots and Robin Hood sounds like it could be a lot of fun, you bunch of party poopers.

Didn't we already have that back in the Pertwee era?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Didn't we already have that back in the Pertwee era?

Much like the dapper red lining, it was time for it to make a comeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

Much like the dapper red lining, it was time for it to make a comeback.

Man, the Time Warrior was so good.

• Locked thread