Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Twelve years of my fortress. Kids are finally growing up to be pump operators. So proud. :qq:

Anyone have a lot of fortress experience? I was wondering if it was sensible to kill off children with terrible stats while they were young rather than have them sponge up resources for 12 years and grow into worthless adults? Or can enough training make even the most miserable geek into a passable citizen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Twelve years of my fortress. Kids are finally growing up to be pump operators. So proud. :qq:

Anyone have a lot of fortress experience? I was wondering if it was sensible to kill off children with terrible stats while they were young rather than have them sponge up resources for 12 years and grow into worthless adults? Or can enough training make even the most miserable geek into a passable citizen?

Even low stat dwarves are capable of hauling, pulling dangerous levers or eating a first volley of invader arrows.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If and when you decide to start considering your dwarfs individually, the main concern should be their likes rather than their stats. Physical stats are the least of your worries: you can train a dwarf from feeble to mighty in a few months of danger room training, mining, or pump operating; often, the tasks you have these guys do are directly beneficial to the fortress while strengthening them for battle. Mental and social stats are a bit more worrisome, both because of limited opportunity to use them and because some of them can actively be detrimental to your fortress; for example, dwarfs socializing in the meeting area are simultaneously building their social skills and associated stats, building friendships that contribute to tantrum spirals, and doing nothing useful. And at the far end of the spectrum are the random likes and dislikes a dwarf has, which influence his good or bad thoughts and the quality of his work. You would be far better off training a weakling who loves steel to be your weaponsmith than to take a dwarf with high strength out of the box.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
Does anyone know why a baron would suddenly lose their title and go back to being a normal dwarf? They were listed as "miserable" but I've never experienced that before and I don't think emotions can influence nobility.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The only reason I can think of is that someone else got elected into that role, but I don't think barons or the other "proper nobles" fall under that category.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
My current fortress broke a little when my baron died... And became a ghost. The dwarves removed the title and nobody has been selected as a replacement. Oh well, no useless nobles!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Okay I hate success, let's play Kobolds for a while. (Actually I keep getting crashes in my Warlocks games so I give up)

e: if anyone's interested in a pretty easy start for warlocks, farm grave cats or some other fast-breeding domesticated critter and just wall up and buy the good poo poo with butchered souls from the demonic attorney

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 18, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I benched Necro Fort for now cause of a few bugs that cause infighting that is really annoying. Just randomly all of my mephits will gang up on a skeleton and sit there endlessly trying to kill him as their attacks bounce off him. Then one will throw a fireball in my meeting hall. It can't be a case of the skeleton going opposed to life and dfhack didn't make it non hostile fast enough cause I shouldn't even be losing control of a skeleton sitting in my meeting hall that not only has 2 pylons on each side of it but also all my idling warlocks.

Not just that though, but several times an enemy warlock will appear in an invaders army, and if any of my people actually kill that warlock it seems to have the same effect of ordering your dwarves to kill the dwarves of the dwarven trade caravan.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nietzschean posted:

for example, dwarfs socializing in the meeting area are simultaneously building their social skills and associated stats, building friendships that contribute to tantrum spirals, and doing nothing useful.

I've usually got quite a few idlers because I don't bother to micromanage, and by the time I hit 120 dwarves I just don't have that many things that need doing all at once so ~50 are idling at any given moment.

There's always a few that slip through the cracks, like a kid becoming an adult and me missing the announcement, that end up having no labors enabled.

I think these factors combined result in a class of dwarves in my forts that do no work and get super emotional over traumatic incidents. They are the most likely to be slaughtered by the still sane and useful working dwarves (who have no time to form many relationships), which I figure results in a somewhat self correcting cycle - assuming I have any tantrum spirals of course. Turns out a great dining room is mostly all they care about at the end of the day.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I've usually got quite a few idlers because I don't bother to micromanage, and by the time I hit 120 dwarves I just don't have that many things that need doing all at once so ~50 are idling at any given moment.

There's always a few that slip through the cracks, like a kid becoming an adult and me missing the announcement, that end up having no labors enabled.

I think these factors combined result in a class of dwarves in my forts that do no work and get super emotional over traumatic incidents. They are the most likely to be slaughtered by the still sane and useful working dwarves (who have no time to form many relationships), which I figure results in a somewhat self correcting cycle - assuming I have any tantrum spirals of course. Turns out a great dining room is mostly all they care about at the end of the day.

I figure Dwarf Fortress is saying something about society, but I'll be damned if I know what.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why don't you just set all of them to masons and just build something silly.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

I never have idlers. I make it my business not to have idlers, unless it is directly before conducting trade or slaughtering a bunch of livestock.

Currently I'm pumping magma up from the bottom of the world, although building 100+ glass screw pumps is slow going.

Give thought to cross-training your idle dwarves. You never know when a stray bit of thrown debris from a tantrum is going to fatally injure a legendary dwarf outright.

What can be dangerous is making pumps for all of your idle dwarves. Yes, this will build their strength/endurance stats and keep them from so many relationships. But on the downside, when they do snap they can wreak that much more havoc.

I cannot wait until I get my magma. The last time I achieved this I had a "magma tower" which was the most certain way to kill invaders. Yes, there technically was a path through the tower into the fort. Although the path was filling with hot death from the top down. Goblins never seemed to notice this until the winding catwalks above were dribbling lava down to the floor of the tower and blocking all escape. If I lucked out, only metal items remained after their gruesome end.

The most fun part was I had not entirely finished the tower roof. So after a successful melting, goblin-smoke would be shooting out of the top of the tower like some infernal engine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scamtank posted:

The only reason I can think of is that someone else got elected into that role, but I don't think barons or the other "proper nobles" fall under that category.

The entire noble system is pretty buggy. Last time I checked the noble position still isn't limited to dwarves so you can appoint any sapient pet to be mayor. Which causes a lot of conflicts when it comes to nobles actually doing stuff.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Welp, I'm not a Mountainhome, and I haven't seen traders in a year. No idea why, but I have a lot of half-rotted crap I want to get rid of. Why would this happen?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's been a while since that has happened to me but yeah I've gotten something like that in vanilla as well, in an isolated chunk of geography. Supposedly your dwarven civ bros can always reach you but I've had at least one fort where no one ever came to trade or raid, after like 10 years.

Unrelated, Kobold is pretty drat different!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh, this seems likely to be the cause of my crashing problem:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137558.0

a cool dude posted:

I've had a problem with crashes due to diggingInvaders, it's turned off in the GUI but dfhack still has it enabled which I guess leads to problems. There was something about it buried in the bug thread. Type "enable" in the DFhack console to see if DiggingInvaders is on. If it is but it's disabled in the GUI then that could be your problem. I've had problems with it while having digging off but razing on so you try disabling it completely even if you'd prefer it on and see if that helps.

Mine indeed does have diggingInvaders enabled!

e: yeah it's flagged enable in DFHack.init gently caress that poo poo

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 18, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Splode posted:

The dwarves removed the title and nobody has been selected as a replacement.

Yeah, if your ranking noble dies, they're never replaced, and you're permanently removed from the nobility chain.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Splode posted:

The dwarves removed the title and nobody has been selected as a replacement.

Is that what also happened to the subtitle for this thread?

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Ghostwoods posted:

Yeah, if your ranking noble dies, they're never replaced, and you're permanently removed from the nobility chain.

Wait, even if they have heirs?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not that you lose much by no longer having nobility, at least in vanilla.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Wait, even if they have heirs?

As far as I remember, yes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fun Masterwork Warlock emergent gameplay thing: Certain evil biome "Clouds of Abominable Murk" inflict a syndrome that makes ghouls into "murk husks", causing them to behave essentially just like skeletons. They don't eat or drink or sleep any more, but they keep their ghoul default skills and keep moving fast. Warlocks maintain control of them just as they do skeletons (line of sight). The cloud has no effect on warlocks themselves. The more you know!

e: they don't show up in Dwarf Therapist any more but they do continue to do their assigned labors which is fine

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 19, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If your king or queen dies you can make another dwarf the monarch with DFhack's 'make-monarch' command.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
So there is no way to promote my baroness even though now the queen is dead? Or will DFHack legitimately make her queen of the mountainhome?

The old queen was a vampire, so there was no way I was going to suffer her in my peaceful fortress.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's no way in the game normally, but Dfhack will legitimately make her the queen as far as the nobles screen is concerned.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Is Toady ever going to do anything with Nobles like he planned? I thought they were supposed to be good at some point in the feature rather then pointless.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

There's going to be an actual hierarchy between site leaders starting next version, actually. gently caress if I know what it really means, though, aside from some token "Urist Grafolömon was elevated to the rank of Baron by his mother county" mention in history.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

scamtank posted:

There's going to be an actual hierarchy between site leaders starting next version, actually. gently caress if I know what it really means, though, aside from some token "Urist Grafolömon was elevated to the rank of Baron by his mother county" mention in history.

Well, if the news posts aren't Toady finally losing it (more), it appears that he's also giving those (largely) useless social mechanics some use. So in Adventure Mode, bandit Red-One will distract you with chatter, while Bandits Red-Two to Red-Whatever-the-gently caress will spread out and then attempt to murder you.

At a guess, this means he's expanded social interactions, which may mean that dorfs can actually order other dorfs around now. But, as is often the case, we'll have to wait and see.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, most of his FotF replies are just him telling people what the new features aren't going to do.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

On the topic of domestic animals, do the animals domesticated by a given fortress remain so for another fortress from the same civilization? It would be kind of neat to do a series of fortresses in various biomes, all from the same civilization, with the goal of eventually domesticating as many creatures as possible. Like the plot of pokemon, if Ash Ketchum solved problems by getting drunk and randomly pulling levers.

There is something like this going on, in that whenever I tame a certain number of animals of the same species I get "The warlocks of MyCulture now know something about shitbird training." I dunno if it's quite that simple but in a little while I'll abandon this fort and check. I'm getting this message after taming 3-4 of a given species so I think there's more to it than that.

e: yes it does seem to require multiple stages of this, I just trained ~12 silvery gibbons now and I got "The warlocks of Fuckersvill have attained a general familiarity with silvery gibbon training methods"

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 20, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It looks like if you want to minmax that, you want to capture adults that breed and just tame offspring of the non-domesticated ones and butcher those (tamed infant animals become "domesticated" and their offspring can't be tamed further). I think I kind of blew it with this fort since I don't seem to be getting any more waves of wild animals any more but I'll keep fiddling with it.

e: When did Toady nerf the poo poo out of falling damage? I made a drop trap that drops invaders 25z and often they don't take any damage at all. What the gently caress gravity.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 20, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Flesh Forge posted:

e: When did Toady nerf the poo poo out of falling damage? I made a drop trap that drops invaders 25z and often they don't take any damage at all. What the gently caress gravity.

I think that's one of Meph's invisible Masterwork nerfs.

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
i've made an semi df lp\guide in russian. just in case there is a russian speaking dwarven overlords reside in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdlVTIWeiQw

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

On taming/domesticating, from the DF wiki:
Although a number of farm animals are domesticated by your civilization from the beginning of the game, your fortress cannot individually "civilization-level" domesticate a species.1

lame

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Flesh Forge posted:

Falling damage is still deadly, although it does depend somewhat on the weight of whoever is falling. I just had a kid remove a construction they were standing on. It did not end well for them and the two dogs they landed on. (Not even close to 25 levels, either.)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This was a pretty wide variety of animals and invaders, human, dwarven, elven and drow. I don't think ANY creatures died from falling 25z, and I dropped something like a hundred. Some were injured with broken bones and poo poo, ~40% were not injured at all.

e: I mean it's not like you can't easily set up an almost totally deadly entrance with other means, drowning pits, cage traps or whatever, but why falling damage it was funny

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 20, 2014

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Flesh Forge posted:

This was a pretty wide variety of animals and invaders, human, dwarven, elven and drow. I don't think ANY creatures died from falling 25z, and I dropped something like a hundred. Some were injured with broken bones and poo poo, ~40% were not injured at all.

e: I mean it's not like you can't easily set up an almost totally deadly entrance with other means, drowning pits, cage traps or whatever, but why falling damage it was funny

Build upright spears in a pit at the bottom and wall it off so that your idiot dwarves don't hurt themselves trying to loot?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Or just don't bother trying to dig a drop trap because it isn't very effective in Masterwork, vs cages/drowning/magma/smashing bridges/whatever else I guess.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Damaging Traps never seem to work very well at all for me in Masterwork.

My best defense has been to make the entrance to my fort be the barracks for my primary military group. It doesn't stop random woodcutters from getting shanked, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Evidence seems to indicate the problem is Masterwork.