Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

Except the vast majority of this crap is aimed at 20+ year olds in Japan (ie the idiots who buy "merch"), and the fact that the vast majority of stuff made in the West for teens isn't set in schools :ssh:

Try to keep up, yeah?

I disagree with that second part. Have you seen the kind of stuff the Disney Channel's been putting out for years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ViggyNash posted:

I disagree with that second part. Have you seen the kind of stuff the Disney Channel's been putting out for years?

Disney Channel stuff is 95% consumed by tweens who have yet to enter high school. A lot of Young Adult fiction in the US is aimed forwards of their target audience (tweens get stuff about idealized early high school, teens get stuff about idealized college, college-agers get stuff about being a burned out graduate with mysteriously upscale living conditions for their job) whereas the majority of japanese stuff is HIGH SCHOOL HIGH SCHOOL HIGH SCHOOL.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 20, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

mr. stefan posted:

Disney Channel stuff is 95% consumed by tweens who have yet to enter high school. A lot of Young Adult fiction in the US is aimed forwards of their target audience (tweens get stuff about idealized early high school, teens get stuff about idealized college, college-agers get stuff about being a burned out graduate with mysteriously upscale living conditions for their job) whereas the majority of japanese stuff is HIGH SCHOOL HIGH SCHOOL HIGH SCHOOL.
Well maybe there should be more American made high school stuff.
If there wasn't a high demand for high school translators would translate Japanese stuff that doesn't take place in high school.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

American teens just watch adult programming and teen wolf. They'd rather watch Archer than a "Cartoon 4 Teenz".

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, and Teen Wolf and CW programs might kind of look like adult shows but are basically for teenagers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dan7el posted:

I haven't watched first episodes of some of the animes I'm planning on looking at. However:

The File of Young Kindaichi Returns
Watchable. A tad over dramatic, but watchable. My only beef is that, if the Japanese are going to go somewhere and solve crimes, why can't they go to the USA. I mean,the USA is the center of the world, right? They should come here to solve crimes.

If some random teenager who spoke english poorly tried to butt his way in to a murder scene in the US he'd just get beaten half to death, tazed, and then charged with multiple crimes. Maybe not in that order. Hell, he'd deserve it for once. No way any charges would stand up in court if some tourist had been rummaging around the crime scene.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Devil Tesla posted:

Well, and Teen Wolf and CW programs might kind of look like adult shows but are basically for teenagers.

True that.

Teen Wolf and Arrow are both aces, though, and you should all watch them. :colbert:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think a universal constant, no matter where you live, is that 99% of all media is shite. It may come in different flavours: paedo/high school shite in Japan, Disney and superhero shite in the US. I live in the UK but I honestly don't know what's produced here nowadays apart from My Mad Fat Diary, which is actually a good show aimed at teens. Fortunately, very little of it takes place in high school.

tonberrytoby posted:

Well maybe there should be more American made high school stuff.
If there wasn't a high demand for high school translators would translate Japanese stuff that doesn't take place in high school.
Well, they do, but there isn't nearly as much of it out there. There are plenty of translated mangas about adults with jobs, but far fewer animes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Chas McGill posted:

Well, they do, but there isn't nearly as much of it out there. There are plenty of translated mangas about adults with jobs, but far fewer animes.

The stereotype in Japan is that only manchildren and actual children watch cartoons. Therefore cartoons are produced that are aimed at manchildren as well as actual children. We really shouldn't think of anime as at all representative of mainstream Japanese culture.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Clarste posted:

The stereotype in Japan is that only manchildren and actual children watch cartoons. Therefore cartoons are produced that are aimed at manchildren as well as actual children. We really shouldn't think of anime as at all representative of mainstream Japanese culture.

I guess that's true, there are plenty of j-dramas that aren't set in high school.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

XboxPants posted:

I guess that's true, there are plenty of j-dramas that aren't set in high school.

Luckily some still are, though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FafO9XHhCE

* Sailor Zombie *
starring AKB48 girls!!!

(oh god)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Doesn't every YA book and film take place in high school or whatever their fantasy equivalent is? Also a poo poo ton of live action in Asia does revolve around high school, some of them really long lasting like Kinpachi-sensei.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Here's a thread for Coffin Princess Chaika:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627204

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Davincie posted:

Doesn't every YA book and film take place in high school or whatever their fantasy equivalent is? Also a poo poo ton of live action in Asia does revolve around high school, some of them really long lasting like Kinpachi-sensei.

There's a difference between characters being teenagers and having the story actually set in a high school. I'm not an expert on YA fiction, but I'd be willing to bet you'd find the former was very common, but the latter was fairly rare. If you look at the stuff that's most popular with teenagers in Japan, it's stuff like One Piece and Naruto where the characters are around high school age but don't actually go to high school. It's when you start getting into late-night niche otaku stuff that you start seeing more of high school as an actual setting. I suppose you could say that dramas and stuff were also predominantly aimed at adults. And that's what makes it kind of strange.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
While were discussing the finer points of Japan's obsession, could someone explain the "this teacher/authority figure looks 10 but is actually really old!" It happens here in America, with Doogy Howser but no where near the frequency. Is there a cultural thing that makes this hilarious every time in Japan or is Occrums Razor leading me to lazy writing ?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ulta posted:

While were discussing the finer points of Japan's obsession, could someone explain the "this teacher/authority figure looks 10 but is actually really old!" It happens here in America, with Doogy Howser but no where near the frequency. Is there a cultural thing that makes this hilarious every time in Japan or is Occrums Razor leading me to lazy writing ?

Convincing oneself that a lazy cliche has some cultural origin to justify it is a hallowed tradition among Western anime fans.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

Convincing oneself that a lazy cliche has some cultural origin to justify it is a hallowed tradition among Western anime fans.

Only outstripped in popularity by saying "stories have no meaning, they're just words :shepface:", perhaps.

If there's an idea that catches on with a whole culture of people, and shows up repeatedly, it's silly to dismiss it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Only outstripped in popularity by saying "stories have no meaning, they're just words :shepface:", perhaps.

If there's an idea that catches on with a whole culture of people, and shows up repeatedly, it's silly to dismiss it.

The fallacy generally lies in the bolded words. Otaku culture is not synonymous with Japanese culture.

I'm not saying there's never a specific cultural reason, just that this type of argument tends to get overused as a justification for bad writing.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 21, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

The fallacy generally lies in the bolded words. Otaku culture is not synonymous with Japanese culture.

What's your point? Not all Japanese people are otakus, but all the otakus that these shows are targeted at, the ones that influence the show's success, those guys are all Japanese. You can't say with any credibility that Japanese culture doesn't have a pretty big influence on otaku subculture.

Or, you can, but you'd be an wrong.

There's are reasons certain kinds of shows and certain kinds of characters are popular among Japanese otaku, and it's not "a wizard did it".

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm not saying mistaking something that's good writing in its cultural context for bad writing can't exist (witness Confused Matthew's review of Spirited Away, where he criticizes it because various youkai-related things "make no sense"). It's just a lot less common.

XboxPants posted:

There's are reasons certain kinds of shows and certain kinds of characters are popular among Japanese otaku, and it's not "a wizard did it".

The reasons don't necessarily make it good writing; they're often as simple as "people copy from better shows."

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 21, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ulta posted:

Anime isn't allowed to have any characters over 20 unless they're grizzled old veterans so they just contort themselves in knots justifying having a 17 year old lawyer.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Joshlemagne posted:

There's a difference between characters being teenagers and having the story actually set in a high school. I'm not an expert on YA fiction, but I'd be willing to bet you'd find the former was very common, but the latter was fairly rare. If you look at the stuff that's most popular with teenagers in Japan, it's stuff like One Piece and Naruto where the characters are around high school age but don't actually go to high school. It's when you start getting into late-night niche otaku stuff that you start seeing more of high school as an actual setting. I suppose you could say that dramas and stuff were also predominantly aimed at adults. And that's what makes it kind of strange.

Got curious and looked up what was most watched on Japanese TV last week. Bear in mind, some of these just started so not the most accurate picture of what's popular. Ignoring variety shows (these actually rank up high, I'm just not sure how to judge them) and TV specials, top watched dramas of last week were:

Hanako to Anne - Japanese Anne of Green Gables 22.3
Gunshi Kanbee - Sengoku historical drama 14.9
Alice no Toge - Suspense revenge drama starring doctors 14.2
Yowakutemo Katemasu - High school baseball drama 13.4
MOZU - police investigation 13.3
Smoking gun - detective procedural 10.3
Border - police procedural 9.7

Anime-wise, you got your usual suspects of popular kids' shows, but obviously their viewership is not as high as variety shows and dramas.

Sazae-san 16.3
Crayon Shin-chan 11.1
Doraemon 11.0
Chibi Maruko-chan 10.8
One Piece 9.7
Detective Conan 9.6
Dragonball Kai 7.2
Happiness Charge Precure 5.6
Kindaichi Case Files R 5.5
Pokemon XY 5.3

Obviously this doesn't explain the proliferation of high school settings in manga, but turns out the general Japanese population generally likes the same kind of stuff the West does.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Anime isn't allowed to have any characters over 20 unless they're grizzled old veterans so they just contort themselves in knots justifying having a 17 year old lawyer.

That was arguably one of the least dumb things in Wizard Barristers. In the episode where they go to America, it's noted that there are no American lawyers as young as her, reflecting the fact that American law schools, unlike Japanese ones, are graduate schools. This is the only thing about real-world law the show gets right. :spergin:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I always thought they did high school settings so they could just everyone in the same two outfits and the ease of setting up storylines.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

jackofarcades posted:

I always thought they did high school settings so they could just everyone in the same two outfits

They hardly need to keep the setting actually in the school for that. See: every "girl whisked away to fantasy kingdom" anime ever.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Allarion posted:

Anime-wise, you got your usual suspects of popular kids' shows, but obviously their viewership is not as high as variety shows and dramas.

Sazae-san 16.3
Crayon Shin-chan 11.1
Doraemon 11.0
Chibi Maruko-chan 10.8
One Piece 9.7
Detective Conan 9.6
Dragonball Kai 7.2
Happiness Charge Precure 5.6
Kindaichi Case Files R 5.5
Pokemon XY 5.3

Obviously this doesn't explain the proliferation of high school settings in manga, but turns out the general Japanese population generally likes the same kind of stuff the West does.
Yes, only 2 of those 10 take place in high school. And only 4 out of 10 have high school age protagonists.
And of the ones that are offered to American audiences only 3 out of 5 have high school protagonists.
This clearly show that Japanese people like more high school in their Anime then Americans.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Storytelling in all cultures is full of references to previous works or outright copycats. In other words, less talented writers will just copy a successful idea and do their own take on it which ends up being the white noise that we associate with, well, mediocrity.

Like how all those mostly forgettable super robot shows aped Mazinger. Or how Guilty Crown was trying really hard to be Code Geass Again. Code Geass, of course, was popular because it twisted typical tropes around but still wouldn't have existed if it couldn't reference them.

So really the reason why everything seems to be so samey is that not everyone can innovate or even just renovate.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Decided to check out Chaika from the decent buzz it's getting. I certainly wouldn't call it the "best" anime of the season, but maybe "most" anime? Very typical fantasy medieval action fare, with all the strengths and flaws you'd expect. Neat magic & monsters, but sometimes it gets maybe too over the top, like a magic wand/sniper rifle operated by a clumsy cute girl that speaks in broken sentences "You. Me. Help." but has a secret tragic past.

She actually has a decent character behind the moeblob mask, though, and there are some interesting themes going on. Gonna keep watching.

Silver2195 posted:

The reasons don't necessarily make it good writing; they're often as simple as "people copy from better shows."

Well of course it doesn't make it good writing, not sure why it would.

Anyway, "people copy from better shows" isn't simple; what made them choose element over another to copy? A dice roll? If your answer is "they just thought it was cool", then what made them think it was cool?

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Decided to check out Chaika from the decent buzz it's getting. I certainly wouldn't call it the "best" anime of the season, but maybe "most" anime? Very typical fantasy medieval action fare, with all the strengths and flaws you'd expect. Neat magic & monsters, but sometimes it gets maybe too over the top, like a magic wand/sniper rifle operated by a clumsy cute girl that speaks in broken sentences "You. Me. Help." but has a secret tragic past.

I don't think anyone liked it for the generic setting or the main girl(I certainly didn't), or said it was the "best". The brother and the sister are more interesting (and have a normal relationship, thank god), the action is good, and the humor, although it's not the focus, is above-average. I was rolling my eyes like mad at the boring intro and opening, the speech quirks and the way they introduced the characters, but then it kept moderately surprising me, bumping it from "dumb crap" to "kinda good".
It's a show that everyone will forget in less than a year, but for now is defying expectations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This is pretty much the same thing that can be said about Scrapped Princess but this time every character is not named after a gun manufacturer.

RIP CZ

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Sir Gladu posted:

I don't think anyone liked it for the generic setting or the main girl(I certainly didn't), or said it was the "best". The brother and the sister are more interesting (and have a normal relationship, thank god), the action is good, and the humor, although it's not the focus, is above-average. I was rolling my eyes like mad at the boring intro and opening, the speech quirks and the way they introduced the characters, but then it kept moderately surprising me, bumping it from "dumb crap" to "kinda good".
It's a show that everyone will forget in less than a year, but for now is defying expectations.

Yeah, that post may have come off more negative than I meant. I'm enjoying it pretty well. Like you say, the action is well put together, and the siblings are both decent character, as well as being fairly funny. It's well done; at the least I think they're hitting all the beats they're going for.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Sir Gladu posted:

The brother and the sister are more interesting (and have a normal relationship, thank god)
I don't know if their relationship can be considered "normal" when she expresses desire to stuff him and in the first episode just starts attacking him because... he forgot to eat breakfast with her? And/or she was pissed at him for being a lazy rear end? It's certainly not typical incest poo poo, but it's pretty weird.

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 21, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Got around to finally watching the shows for this season after KLK withdrawal.

Kindaichi Case Files R
I still can't get used to anime Kindaichi's voice. Also, the case is... really outlandish, even for Kindaichi. It's strange how stuff that doesn't really bother me in the manga version sorta grates on me when it comes to the animated adaptations. Also shockingly I was able to understand how a murder was committed, something that I've never been able to do in the past 30+ cases or so. The transition from manga to anime seems to really screw over the story, since a lot of poo poo seems cut out. Accordin' to Wikipedia, the first case is the 13th case in the new manga series. I mean, I get that the first case of the new series was already adapted into an OVA, but why not start with the second case? It doesn't help that the story being set in not-Japan kinda blows my suspension of belief, since these people are all communicating in Japanese or something despite the setting being Hong Kong? Either way, I'm gonna try and stick around for one more case, to see how it is, and then figure out whether I want to drop it or not.

Also, and most importantly, who the gently caress names their son Long Dong? It's a loving dick joke. It's pronounced Ryong Dong in Korean, anyways.

Even So, The World Is Beautiful
Really digging this show. Nike is a great protagonist. My only issue is why a song sung in anime fantasyland would incorporate both English and Japanese but whatever, that's a minor nitpick. It's a loving keeper.

One Week Friends
Sweet and deeper than I'd expect from an anime that has a premise that resembles that Adam Sandler movie where he does Adamn Sandler poo poo. I think it was called Mr. Deeds or something. Also I don't care what anyone says, I liked the remake of The Longest Yard with Sandler in the leading role. Gonna keep watching for sure.

Is The Order A Rabbit?
Initially I watched the first two minutes or so and wasn't really impressed, then I got to the exchange about rabbits and after that everything was loving amazing. I dunno whether to place this or "Even So, The World Is Beautiful" as my favorite for this season but then again the two occupy different genres so who even cares, they're both great. Only watched one episode so far, but everything about it (sans fanservice) shows promise, and apparently the second episode doesn't even have fanservice? A resounding yes.

The Devil's Riddle
It's pretty interesting trying to figure what each character's deal is. Anime assassin / serial killer / crazy murderer schoolgirls all gather in one room to kill a helpless girl who's determined to graduate. Part of me wants to see awesome fighting scenes and assassinations, while the other part of me wants to see this anime become a darker rendition of "Kill Me Baby" where the normal girl is determined to make friends with each and every one of the girls aiming for her life. It's hard to keep track of all these names and characters though. Gonna keep watching for now.

Haven't watched Chaika, Nanana or Mekaku yet. Might not even give 'em a try, since 5 animes is a lot of animes to keep up with in a season. Maybe if I drop Kindaichi.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chaika is never going to win awards and won't make it onto anyone's yearly top 5 lists or anything like that, it's just a fun stupid show. Just entertaining enough to keep watching for now, not good enough to rave about.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

In news I never thought I'd hear(but are pretty psyched it's real), Masaaki Yuasa wrote, storyboarded and directed an upcoming ep of Adventure Time.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Pootybutt posted:

In news I never thought I'd hear(but are pretty psyched it's real), Masaaki Yuasa wrote, storyboarded and directed an upcoming ep of Adventure Time.

Holy poo poo, that is nuuuuuts.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Pootybutt posted:

This seems like the perfect fit. I don't watch the show but it's the kind of weird and goofy cartoon an anime director can get into.

How often do anime artists, directors and such cross over into western animation? Also vice versa?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

That's gonna be a really interesting episode.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pootybutt posted:

gently caress yeeeeeeeeeeeees. Universe, you are to good to me.. :allears:

So I watched the clip. And almost immediately thought, "Yup, this is a Yuasa-directed AT episode." Then they turned into birds. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Brynhildr is still a pretty trashy and silly show, but it does push my pathos buttons and the MC has enough presence of mind that I can get behind his motivations. I guess I'm a sucker for big dramatic reunions and fighting secret government organisations in the name of love.

And lo, what a cliffhanger to end on. Are we going to have a Madoka Ep3 already?

• Locked thread