Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Panama Red posted:

I'm curious -- are there any kickboxer/BJJ fighters out there? I ask because it would seem to be a good arsenal for a fighter to have, striking at long distance but also capable on the ground. Then again, I have to say I haven't seen a lot of well-rounded fighters in my limited experience; Maia is really good at BJJ, Okami is really good at GnP, Silva is really good at countering strikes and striking from the clitch, etc.

This is a relative thing. By all accounts Anderson Silva is a well rounded fighter, he's really only looked bad at wrestling against guys that were D1 All Americans or even legit Olympic level wrestlers. In general though, you'll find that everyone that isn't a college wrestler is probably a kickboxing/bjj guy. It's just how things work and it's one of the reasons that pretty much every top tier fighter is either an American Collegiate wrestler or somebody from Brazil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Four months into the year and Cowboy already has two wins. Here's to hoping he goes 5 for 5 this year so he can keep buying dumb poo poo.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Benson vs Cerrone III should happen before it can't happen. And really, I think that will end up being Benson's best UFC fight to date.

[fake edit] since I was curious, Donald Cerrone has had 15 fights since the last time he & Bendo went at it. There are guys in UFC that don't even have careers that long. :stare:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Khabib: "The top 10 at LW need to learn how to wrestle."

from the post fight. What a guy.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The fight order for UFC on Fox 11 was weird for me;
From the main card, only the headliner and Cerrone vs Barboza deserved to be on there imo. Neither Tate or Carmouche are ever getting near a title fight again, and looked sloppy.

Yoel Romero has potential, and showed greatness in little bursts but that fight is nowhere near worthy of the main card. Maybe if he's fighting someone top 10.

Meanwhile on the prelims we had top 5 lightweights Nurmy vs Dos Anjos, plus Alves and Mein both looking great in their fights. I don't get it.

This wasn't a PPV, there's no win from making the prelims look good to get buys. So they just hurt ratings and made the product look worse for mainstream folks who only saw the main card.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They treat fox cards just like pay per views. They also have a deal with fox and want FS1 to be as big as possible. They're always going to put a name or two on the prelims to get more people to watch them as well.

Also Browne breaking his rib in round 1 explains so much about his performance.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Browne did not break his own rib. Werdum broke Browne's rib. Browne looked like poo poo because Werdum made him look like poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't dispute Werdum put on a clinic, but Browne looked off.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

He was off because his opponent kicked him very hard in the rib, thus breaking it. He didn't go into the fight injured, he was injured by his opponent.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sprecherscrow posted:

He was off because his opponent kicked him very hard in the rib, thus breaking it. He didn't go into the fight injured, he was injured by his opponent.

I know. I never said he hurt it before the fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

You say this as if the latter was not caused by the former.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Mr. Nice! posted:

They're always going to put a name or two on the prelims to get more people to watch them as well.

During a recent scrum Dana White said that the preliminaries having a 'main event' is a thing, so it's not like it was a knock of Nurmy and RDA.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You say this as if the latter was not caused by the former.

Not in the least bit, but I'm left wanting because of it. Even Werdum said he took it easy and played it safe. Had he not broke Browne's rib he still probably wins the fight just because of how drat good he looked, but I wanted to see him have to work all five rounds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

-Atom- posted:

During a recent scrum Dana White said that the preliminaries having a 'main event' is a thing, so it's not like it was a knock of Nurmy and RDA.

He said it at the presser last night too.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I don't think Browne's broken rib diminishes Werdum's performance any, but it does make Browne look a lot tougher in retrospect. If he'd just gassed out in half a round from doing his usual dance, it would've reflected really poorly on him, but as it is, he just got battered by the better fighter. No shame in that.

Werdum's playground antics are funny (wish he would've pulled out the 'hey, your shoelaces are untied!' thing from the Nelson fight again), so I'm happy he won. At the press conference, he at one point wound up with two people translating for him, and also had every question translated to him in Portugese despite answering them in fluent English and even cracking a joke about his proficiency in language.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's always crazy when you hear about these guys ending up with broken hands/ribs/arms or other serious injuries and still finishing the fight whether they win or lose. Also puts into perspective how insanely painful stuff like liver shots and whatnot that drop a guy instantly must be.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Skjorte posted:

I don't think Browne's broken rib diminishes Werdum's performance any, but it does make Browne look a lot tougher in retrospect. If he'd just gassed out in half a round from doing his usual dance, it would've reflected really poorly on him, but as it is, he just got battered by the better fighter. No shame in that.

Werdum's playground antics are funny (wish he would've pulled out the 'hey, your shoelaces are untied!' thing from the Nelson fight again), so I'm happy he won. At the press conference, he at one point wound up with two people translating for him, and also had every question translated to him in Portugese despite answering them in fluent English and even cracking a joke about his proficiency in language.

I was cracking up during the post-fight. For a while it was really just Werdum holding court, with questions and answers in 3 languages, Werdum making jokes and high-fiving Romero, translators laughing. And then Cowboy was on the other side drinking beer and chewing tobacco.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Cowboy must be getting a shitton of money from budweiser because he went nuts. He brought a beer for everyone at the presser, had another six or so set aside for himself, one to spit chew in, and a bigass budweiser shirt on. He drank so loving much that he had to go piss mid press conference. Cowboy owns. I used to be on the fence, but he's awesome.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

With Cowboy it seems like he'd wear that shirt and buy everyone in the room beer just because he can regardless.

Getting paid sponsor money to behave like you normally would must be awesome.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 20, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's the redneck dream which might be why I feel such a strong connection.

Bell the Cat
Apr 5, 2004

Dirty pool old man. I like it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's the redneck dream which might be why I feel such a strong connection.

I feel the same way, which leads me to suspect that Cowboy is also a marketing genius.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It's always crazy when you hear about these guys ending up with broken hands/ribs/arms or other serious injuries and still finishing the fight whether they win or lose. Also puts into perspective how insanely painful stuff like liver shots and whatnot that drop a guy instantly must be.

Yeah, for sure. A broken rib makes your life miserable and every movement you do hurt like hell even if you're a sedentary fat dude sitting in a chair. And then there's Browne getting body shot and kicked in a broken rib over and over.

On that note, Werdum has the best snap in his kicks I've ever seen a heavyweight mma fighter have. He was hitting loving hard.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

attackmole posted:

On that note, Werdum has the best snap in his kicks I've ever seen a heavyweight mma fighter have. He was hitting loving hard.

Overeem

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not in the least bit, but I'm left wanting because of it. Even Werdum said he took it easy and played it safe. Had he not broke Browne's rib he still probably wins the fight just because of how drat good he looked, but I wanted to see him have to work all five rounds.
travis browne just isn't as good as you think!

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

And Hardonk. Pat Barry.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Mark Hunt too

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Meltzer had this to say about the disappointing ratings for Saturday's Fox card which had the worst/lowest ratings yet.

quote:

"Average fan losing interest. Biz model = as much content as possible. But appeal in US not going in + direction"

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

quote:

The ratings are disappointing considering the card and the fact that the event was a sell out in Orlando. Winning the time slot for network television was the annual Easter tradition of ABC showing of “The Ten Commandments.” The movie scored 5.87 million viewers and 1.0 rating among adults 18-49 with a 4 share. In terms of overall viewership, UFC on Fox 11 lost out to a rerun of Mike and Molly on CBS which received 2.20 million average viewers.

http://mmapayout.com/2014/04/ufc-on-fox-11-overnight-rating-1-99m-viewers/

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
lol only we watched

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
fight pass will probably be pretty good once they lose all their tv deals

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Outdrawn by Moses, holy poo poo.

I finally got around to watching the presser and Dana seems legit depressed that Browne didn't win

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

After Pettis stopped Cerrone with one, Fightland did an article about how the liver shot works physiologically. I found it pretty interesting. It's not actually the pain that stops guys cold, although it does hurt like hell. Getting popped in the liver apparently makes your autonomic nervous system think you're in imminent danger of death, and it shuts everything off to keep blood flowing into your brain.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Can't wait

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Solomonic posted:

Outdrawn by Moses, holy poo poo.

I finally got around to watching the presser and Dana seems legit depressed that Browne didn't win

I think he was mostly annoyed that Werdum played it more conservatively in the last couple rounds once he figured that the fight was in the bag. But yeah from a promotional standpoint you'd think he'd be better off pumping Werdum's tires a bit (and rightfully so given how good he looked through the first three rounds) rather than moping and talking about how he played it safe and Travis injured himself in the first round, etc.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

After Pettis stopped Cerrone with one, Fightland did an article about how the liver shot works physiologically. I found it pretty interesting. It's not actually the pain that stops guys cold, although it does hurt like hell. Getting popped in the liver apparently makes your autonomic nervous system think you're in imminent danger of death, and it shuts everything off to keep blood flowing into your brain.

Thanks for posting that - it definitely was interesting to read.

quote:

The fighter takes a shot, you get this nerve signal going into the autonomic nervous system, your blood vessels dilate, the heart rate decreases, the blood pressure suddenly drops, and the athlete collapses. You can’t control it. You’re down.

The reason for the collapse is, when your blood pressure’s going down, your body tries to instinctively control the blood pressure, and if it can’t raise the heart rate or restrict the blood vessels, it puts the body in a supine position so that it can maintain some blood flow to the brain. Because if you lose blood pressure to the brain, obviously it’s not compatible with life.

If a blow to the liver is severe enough you can lose consciousness. There can be a loss of consciousness caused by this cascade where you have the slowing of the heart rate and the dilation of the blood vessels, while at the same time you get a constriction of blood vessels in the brain. It’s like your body does everything wrong in that instant.

The human body works in crazy ways.

Edit: Someone posted this in the comments on that article

quote:

25% of the blood volume from each heart beat travels directly to the liver. The liver is very spongy in it's structure. When the liver is hit, it's effectively like squeezing the water out of a sponge, only with the liver the blood briefly back flows directly towards the heart. Which causes a serious problem for the heart when it tries to beat against this back flow. (fluids are incompressible) How serious this problem is depends on where in the beat cycle the heart is at the time. The heart is violently disrupted and effectively has to reboot itself, causing the radical drop of BP.

:stare:

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 20, 2014

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

It would be but UFC is going to sign a 10 year deal with FOX or some crazy poo poo once the contract runs out. There's a chance that Fight Pass could end up with all the PPV content eventually, but I think UFC is always going to have some sort of free TV deal and they're happy with FOX/FOx is happy with them.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheRationalRedditor posted:

travis browne just isn't as good as you think!

He's looked like poo poo in every fight where he didn't manage to land some stupid loopy knockout. Remember when he was outstruck and outwrestled by Cheick Kongo? I don't see how anyone thought he had a striking advantage over Werdum except for the very real chance of catching him with some flailing spaz strike, or how anyone thought that he would be very tough to take down. Also, how were they saying he'd never been taken down in the UFC when I remember Bigfoot taking him down twice?

I also figured that Barboza vs Cerrone was going to be Barboza whaling on him until either Cerrone's chin cracked or Barboza got knocked down, and that the latter was a lot more probable. The only fight that really surprised me was Romero vs Tavares, which I thought was going to be a lot more competitive.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah Romero looking like a legitimate good fighter kind of surprised me. I feel like he's gonna be caught be a disciplined striker sometime, but he seems pretty good. I just assumed he was built for hilarity rather than actually being a particularly good fighter, but his gas tank is holding up and he does cool stuff.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

He's looked like poo poo in every fight where he didn't manage to land some stupid loopy knockout. Remember when he was outstruck and outwrestled by Cheick Kongo? I don't see how anyone thought he had a striking advantage over Werdum except for the very real chance of catching him with some flailing spaz strike, or how anyone thought that he would be very tough to take down. Also, how were they saying he'd never been taken down in the UFC when I remember Bigfoot taking him down twice?

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It remains to be seen how good he is when he next faces a HW who retains the memory to not clinch him into the fence with their head down
:sagelynods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

attackmole posted:

Yeah Romero looking like a legitimate good fighter kind of surprised me. I feel like he's gonna be caught be a disciplined striker sometime, but he seems pretty good. I just assumed he was built for hilarity rather than actually being a particularly good fighter, but his gas tank is holding up and he does cool stuff.

I thought Tavares was that striker. he's been really good about controlling distance in the past, but Romero hit him with counter lefts every time he tried coming in and took him down every time he tried to jab and move. He had a Mighty Mouse-esque speed advantage

• Locked thread