Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

TinTower posted:

The Daily Mail: the rat's anus of journalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

This is what I thought of aswell. I've never used a food Bank, even when I was desperate. Partly out of pride, partly out of the fact that there might be people out there who need it more than I do. Thankfully I had family to fall back on, but there are people who don't have any support at all and that food parcel might literally be a matter of life or death.

That guy is a complete cock and I wish nothing but the worst for him. gently caress him and gently caress anyone who finds even the hint of worth in anything he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
In other news that's also awful, potential rapist to grill victim because he can't afford legal representation.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-grilled-court-alleged-rapist-3434274

quote:

A woman is to be grilled in court by her alleged rapist after he was refused legal aid because of Government cuts.

Family Court Judge Stephen Wildblood said he was shocked the mum faces being quizzed by her ex-partner during a custody battle over their three-year-old child.

The judge argued that as it is unlawful for rapists to quiz alleged victims in criminal courts it shouldn’t happen in family cases.

He said in a judgment : “One of the many serious allegations made by the mother is that she was raped by the father…

"His ­application for legal aid has been rejected.

"I invited them [the Legal Aid Board] to reconsider the father’s application for legal aid as a matter of urgency.

“I was told that the application had been reconsidered and had been rejected again.”

The Sunday Mirror has told how many women are being questioned by brutal ex-partners who cannot get legal aid.

Justice expert Harry Fletcher said: “It’s outrageous that a man accused of rape is able to cross-examine his victim because of the absence of legal aid.”

There we go. New Evil. You thought it couldn't be done in 2014 but we've found new ways to be evil.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My parents are literally in this room right now saying "there was this women on the telly who went to a food bank but she had a sky satellite dish"

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

KKKlean Energy posted:

My parents are literally in this room right now saying "there was this women on the telly who went to a food bank but she had a sky satellite dish"

I have a Sky satellite dish. It's not connected to anything.

Even if it were, it's entirely possible to have an active Sky subscription that you signed up for when you were actually solvent.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Besides, you can still use the dish even if you haven't got a Sky subscription; it's called Freesat.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This thread constantly avoids the Islamist plotting in Britain. Wake up and start dealing with these people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10776607/Islamist-plot-six-schools-face-Ofsted-special-measures.html

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

^^^ If islamic sleeper cells can do better than the current rulers, I say give 'em a shot.

It seems inescapable to me that government and media are brainwashing people into thinking that people on hard times deserve nothing more than the workhouse experience. Everyone needs to live within their means, but what about people that live on credit, to the point where they go bankrupt (like thatpoor Nick Griffin)? What is the difference between someone working who has x credit cards maxed out to someone on the dole who has a sky subscription?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Nonsense posted:

This thread constantly avoids the Islamist plotting in Britain. Wake up and start dealing with these people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10776607/Islamist-plot-six-schools-face-Ofsted-special-measures.html

Operation Trojan Horse.

People actually believe this isnt some far right false flag shite?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Now come on, some good old fashioned Mccarthyism is just what this country needs. Those reds.. Er, Muslims are loving everywhere. Surely this time it won't be a complete fabrication that will result in thousands of lives ruined. I hear some of them are even involved in Satanic rituals!

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Serotonin posted:

Operation Trojan Horse.

I've no doubt that it is being overblown and played for politics, but there does seem to have been some stuff going on which really shouldn't have a place in the school system.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Really? It's the exact same shite as Christians claiming that music is sinful. It obviously has no place on schools, especially secular schools, but it's not limited to Muslim beliefs.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Serotonin posted:

Operation Trojan Horse.

It sounds like Ofsted are taking it a bit more seriously than you so, yes?

No religious group should be subverting the leadership of schools and putting in place their own curriculum that supports their own dogma.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Pissflaps posted:

No religious group should be subverting the leadership of schools and putting in place their own curriculum that supports their own dogma.

Agreed. Ban CofE schools too.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Serotonin posted:

I think there's a place for Anglican, Romanic Catholic or Muslim schools - but that doesn't mean turning secular state schools into religious enclaves or then pretending it's not happening even when Oftsed put six schools into special measures because of it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I know of several Catholic schools nearby, who do I complain to?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Remove all schools that aren't state funded. Ban private schools.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The real villains of this peice are the Tories. Their education policies have let this happen.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Clearly they haven't gone far enough if Muslims can do what they're doing. Gove and his academies are clearly needed.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

twoot posted:

I've no doubt that it is being overblown and played for politics, but there does seem to have been some stuff going on which really shouldn't have a place in the school system.

Like I've heard about schools that dislike metal, emo, rock, rap or whatever but all music? Is that a common extreme Muslim thing?

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 20, 2014

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Really? It's the exact same shite as Christians claiming that music is sinful. It obviously has no place on schools, especially secular schools, but it's not limited to Muslim beliefs.

I Agree. If a Christian school was doing it I'd find it equally unpleasant.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Serotonin posted:

One of our local C of E schools has this just inside the front door

Yeah, gently caress that.

JoylessJester posted:

Like I've heard about schools that dislike metal, emo, rock, rap or whatever but all music? Is that a common extreme Muslim thing?

It's a common extreme protestant thing too. A lot of fundamentalist religions hate people doing anything but praying and obeying. See also: Oliver Cromwell.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

And yet the government's free school system is built around this :eyepop:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

JoylessJester posted:

It is definitely A Thing. Last year when I had a team of temps working with me one guy wouldn't sit in the same room as the radio. Went out of his way not to make a fuss about it, though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

It is definitely A Thing. Last year when I had a team of temps working with me one guy wouldn't sit in the same room as the radio. Went out of his way not to make a fuss about it, though.

It was one of the more (in)famous policies of the Taliban in Afghanistan too, and people wondered at the fact that Chinese bootleg CDs managed to be on sale in Kabul before the Coalition troops had even taken control of the airport.

As with all religions everywhere it's mainly just a stick to beat people with - it's certainly far from a mainstream view.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

JoylessJester posted:

Sorta. Music and poetry are definitely haraam, so anyone who takes a literalist interpretation of the qu'ran abides by this. The qu'ran also encourages a literalist interpretation by outright claiming to be a direct work of divine intervention, whereas the bible does not and so every Christian claiming this is doing so with no real basis.

My libyan housemate's father believes poetry and music are sinful and would be outraged to find out he listened to any. He was also outraged when he overheard him taking a drink of tea during ramadan on the phone. So I'd say such beliefs are what we'd think of as traditionalist, but Islamic countries tend towards literally interpreting what is and isn't haraam legally before promptly behaving like normal people provided the police of vice and virute aren't around.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What with alcohol, music, and masturbation/pre-marital sex being haraam, I'm not surprised there're so many nutters out there.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spangly A posted:

Sorta. Music and poetry are definitely haraam, so anyone who takes a literalist interpretation of the qu'ran abides by this. The qu'ran also encourages a literalist interpretation by outright claiming to be a direct work of divine intervention, whereas the bible does not and so every Christian claiming this is doing so with no real basis.

Dude no.
Hundreds of years of Fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence) contradict this.

It quite recently that literalist/fundamentalist thought has completely dominated the main discourse.

shrike82 posted:

What with alcohol, music, and masturbation/pre-marital sex being haraam, I'm not surprised there're so many nutters out there.

Really now?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 20, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dude no.
Hundreds of years of Fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence) contradict this.

It quite recently that literalist/fundamentalist thought has completely dominated the main discourse.

Fair enough, my experience is mostly first hand rather than based in the history of Islam.

What's changed then, that both Islam and Christianity have slowly started to go a bit strange about how everything actually literally happened?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's that Jim Jefferies joke, 'You take beer and bacon away from me and I'll fly a plane into a building'

So that thought has questionable company!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wasn't there an American ammunition company that sold bullets infused with pork?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Wasn't there an American ammunition company that sold bullets infused with pork?

The Gurkhas objected to ammunition that you had to bit the end off to load because it was sealed with pig fat, IIRC. This was british made ammunition.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Trickjaw posted:

The Gurkhas objected to ammunition that you had to bit the end off to load because it was sealed with pig fat, IIRC. This was british made ammunition.

Wasn't this what caused a riot in British ruled India?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Yep.

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/27/ammunitions_manufacturer_selling_pork_coated_bullets_to_fight_muslims_partner/

"Jihawg" ammo. God thats so perfectly redneck.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Gonzo McFee posted:

Then what will we use as feeder institutions for high office?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Then what will we use as feeder institutions for high office?

Unions.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

Wasn't this what caused a riot in British ruled India?

Yeah, I think so, I want to say it caused a seige where the Indians had to kill women and children to get the attention of the Brits, but I'm not too sure. I may be conflating it with something Ottoman.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Trickjaw posted:

Yeah, I think so, I want to say it caused a seige where the Indians had to kill women and children to get the attention of the Brits, but I'm not too sure. I may be conflating it with something Ottoman.

It was the Siege of Cawnpore in 1857 but i'm not sure women and children were hacked up for attention.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

It was the Siege of Cawnpore in 1857 but i'm not sure women and children were hacked up for attention.

Gracias. Always good to learn together. I blame Mrs Urquhart, my history teacher. I might have been confusing it with the siege of Constantinople.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Trickjaw posted:

Gracias. Always good to learn together. I blame Mrs Urquhart, my history teacher. I might have been confusing it with the siege of Constantinople.

Not Istanbul?

• Locked thread