Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, she's an EDI developer, and all she needs is the EDI application. But still, you'd think that at least allowing her to use her own master desktop image for her own use would be doable in VDI as I know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Oh, one size fits all policies... You will never get old.

Eesh. To be fair I would have found that really tempting as well.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

rolleyes posted:

There's a bit of a difference between "you don't get local admin rights" and "no right clicking for you!" though, isn't there. Context menus are kind of important in any serious IDE.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

There's certainly no harm in locking lots of stuff down, even for devs, but preventing them from installing packages and right-clicking is beyond ridiculous.
I'm like 90% sure they just meant right-clicking inside of the start menu.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

As a developer, I need to adjust so many things on my computer (handy tools, wierd bugs, hosts file, etc) that not being local admin would cause significant work slow down.

However, I came up as an IT Janitor/Programmer at the same time starting in high school so apparently that makes me special.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Eesh. To be fair I would have found that really tempting as well.

Most of those systems are automatic now.

Old job created a username angelass.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Gah, that's awful. And here I thought I was unfortunate. I had "nm". "nm" sounds all right, but the company used IRC for internal communication, and I'm sure you can see where this is going.

I got pinged, my phone buzzed, and I got a big distracting notification every time someone didn't want to spell out "never mind".

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A ticket came in from someone in the military, who literally just used "Nancy" instead of "November" for the phonetic alphabet.

Archer is real.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

scroogle nmaps posted:

A ticket came in from someone in the military, who literally just used "Nancy" instead of "November" for the phonetic alphabet.

Archer is real.

I intentionally use "M as in Mancy" with my friends now.

I may also be guilty of forgetting my NATO alphabet from time to time and using "Nancy" instead when sharing PSKs.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Dragyn posted:

I intentionally use "M as in Mancy" with my friends now.

I may also be guilty of forgetting my NATO alphabet from time to time and using "Nancy" instead when sharing PSKs.

We were at one time explicitly prohibited from making our own phonetic alphabet because "some people" were using it passive aggressively while on the phone with clients.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dragyn posted:

Back when I had my 70 mi commute, I made a game of reading back the letters on license plates I saw in the NATO alphabet in order to keep it fresh in my memory. My drive is much shorter now, but I still do it every now and then to keep from forgetting.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Your password is p@ssword3

P as in Phone
At symbol
S as in Seashore
S as in Seashore
W as in Wrench
O as in One
R as in Right
D as in Djibouti
And then the number three.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I had clients regularly who didn't know what an ampersand was.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

P as in Phone
At symbol
S as in Seashore
S as in Seashore
W as in Wrench
O as in One
R as in Right
D as in Djibouti

You're the worst kind of person.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

I'm like 90% sure they just meant right-clicking inside of the start menu.

No, the way we do programs for the VDI is that there's a few folders that share shortcuts to the programs themselves, installed on the master image. If the user doesn't have shortcuts, they have zero means of launching.

Users have no means of launching any executables - locked down via GPO. The Run window exists but nothing launches from it other than shortcuts they see.

All right-click functionality is disabled on the user's desktop. I dropped RDP shortcuts in the dev's home folder so she can at least RDP to what she needs, and right-clicking is enabled there.

If we need to change the resolution on the monitor/both monitors, we have to edit ini files for the MAC ID of the thin client terminal in question.

But yeah, this is a fairly good environment if nothing ever needs to change on the fly and if your user groups are fairly uniform, which ours are.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Widestancer posted:

How about tilde? :v:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

"...and then a backslash, that's the one above the enter key. No, that's a forward slash, the backslash is above the enter key. No, that's a dash, a slash is the up and down one. It's right above the enter key. Yes, that's it."

And yes I know on some keyboards backslash is somewhere weird, but not on any of the ones in our enviroment, and these people aren't exactly the kind to sneak in a special keyboard from home.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

How about tilde? :v:

Even more exotic, the pipe |

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Widestancer posted:

I bet they don't know what an octothorpe is, either.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knormal posted:

"...and then a backslash, that's the one above the enter key. No, that's a forward slash, the backslash is above the enter key. No, that's a dash, a slash is the up and down one. It's right above the enter key. Yes, that's it."

And yes I know on some keyboards backslash is somewhere weird, but not on any of the ones in our enviroment, and these people aren't exactly the kind to sneak in a special keyboard from home.

We provide keyboards in every language that was out there, German, French, Hindi, Ukrainian, Thai, you name it, we had it (We still do). When I was on the helpdesk I had great fun googling every keyboard layout under the sun so I could point out where the backslash was :negative:

anthonypants posted:

I bet they don't know what an octothorpe is, either.

As someone who pretty much exclusively works with VoIP stuff I must add this to my professional vocabulary.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dragyn posted:

Even more exotic, the pipe |

quote:

It may be called by various other names including the polon, pipe, Sheffer stroke, verti-bar, vbar, stick, vertical line, vertical slash, or bar, glidus, think colon, poley, or divider line.
:haw:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I thought the "think colon" was something I do on the toilet.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Knormal posted:

Phone tech support teaches you to describe everything as carefully and detailed as possible. Anytime I ask someone to type a slash I immediately follow it up with "The diagonal line that goes from bottom left to top right" along with telling them the exact key it's on("Same key as the question mark")

I also describe network, power and HDMI cables in overly detailed ways(Color, shape and size), as well as various status LEDs.

People still get it wrong occasionally. Sometimes you really feel like you're talking to a toddler that can barely comprehend basic shapes. Then you remember that these are the same people who will ask for a technician to come over because they're "not technical enough" to unplug and replug a power cable, or flip a power switch. Even if said tech can only come over several days later and costs money. Of course, this is nearly always followed with "But does that mean I can't watch TV for x days?" They also don't seem to be able to recognize the universal power symbol.

I'm glad I don't have to take calls that often. Instead I'm telling coworkers to do this, and often it turns out that they weren't descriptive enough.

As for the NATO stuff, our company's intranet has a page listing the NATO alphabet. Every time I hear someone getting creative with letters I send them a link to it. So far it's working.

Balzac Jones
Dec 26, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ours spit out the username madcock for a student named M. Adcock. She went through three years of law school without ever requesting a change, so...whelp!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Balzac Jones posted:

Ours spit out the username madcock for a student named M. Adcock. She went through three years of law school without ever requesting a change, so...whelp!

I'm just immature enough that if I had a name that could be made into a silly username like that, I would embrace the hell out of it. I would call attention to it and probably have trouble keeping a straight face every time.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

P as in Phone
At symbol
S as in Seashore
S as in Seashore
W as in Wrench
O as in One
R as in Right
D as in Djibouti

If a coworker is nearby, I'll invent brand new words for the phonetic alphabet just to watch him twitch. I'll have to remember Djibouti.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Another one today, on a similar call:
"Colon, the one with two dots?"
"There's another one?"

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
A call came in.

Had a user who didn't know that you had to be connected to the Internet to use the VPN.

She also didn't know what her home WiFi password was. :eng99:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Priss In Plate posted:

A call came in.

Had a user who didn't know that you had to be connected to the Internet to use the VPN.

Did you tell her to jam a paperclip into the little hole in the back of her router? I'm sure nothing bad would happen if you did.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

As a developer, I need to adjust so many things on my computer (handy tools, wierd bugs, hosts file, etc) that not being local admin would cause significant work slow down.

However, I came up as an IT Janitor/Programmer at the same time starting in high school so apparently that makes me special.

At my company this extends as far as adding your computer to the company DNS manually (!!!), installing everything from browsers to company specific tools that have zero install instructions and configuring the company mandated drive encryption. It's normal for a new developer to spend 2 weeks getting to the point where they have a working dev environment.

IT also shot down a move to Boxen because they didn't understand it, they even got it banned rather than letting dev teams create and maintain their own scripts.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Did you tell her to jam a paperclip into the little hole in the back of her router? I'm sure nothing bad would happen if you did.

Said she'd call back later when her husband got home. :shobon:

Nearly wanted to, though.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My favorite policy-username was a guy named Richard Tate getting tater. Hell yes he kept it. Also resulting in the nickname "Dick Tater".

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

My favorite alternate name for a punctuation mark is "Nathan Hale" for *. "I regret that I only have one asterisk for my country!"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

pr0digal posted:

I wonder how this monstrosity started out

"Internet goes out when we make coffee and toast at the same time. This is affecting breakfast!"

But seriously I don't see a ups and it appears they're plugged into the kitchen circuit. Have they not had frequent unexpected shutdowns?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

door.jar posted:

At my company this extends as far as adding your computer to the company DNS manually (!!!), installing everything from browsers to company specific tools that have zero install instructions and configuring the company mandated drive encryption. It's normal for a new developer to spend 2 weeks getting to the point where they have a working dev environment.

IT also shot down a move to Boxen because they didn't understand it, they even got it banned rather than letting dev teams create and maintain their own scripts.
I, uh, .... wow. We don't get that much freedom. I get a nicely imaged windows *whatever* t420 with office and all the regular stuff on it, with the drive encryption already set up, and then I get to install my developer stuff.

I just... don't get why a place would do what you said.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

I thought the "think colon" was something I do on the toilet.

It's from Lenovo's new range of medical implants.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

I just... don't get why a place would do what you said.

Neither do I. A better starting point for the Mac Book Pros that we hand out would save at least a week for every new start at a time when we have ~10 new starts per month due to growth.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Priss In Plate posted:

A call came in.

I get this almost every time I issue a laptop/vpn token, I always put an patch cable in the bag.

Once I get them connected via copper I tell them I don't support their wifi and at least they have solution, often to complaints of the fact they are sat in the porch or some difficult location

It's only really senior management who get laptops so I enjoy making fun of them because they can't connect to their own wifi.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sweet lord. :stare:

I have always called it the pipe because I have used Linux since I was 10. :psyduck:

cat ${SOME_DOC} |grep ${SOME_WORD}

You PIPE the output of cat ${SOME_DOC} to grep and search for instances of ${SOME_WORD}

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Sweet lord. :stare:

I have always called it the pipe because I have used Linux since I was 10. :psyduck:

cat ${SOME_DOC} |grep ${SOME_WORD}

You PIPE the output of cat ${SOME_DOC} to grep and search for instances of ${SOME_WORD}

code:
grep ${SOME_WORD} ${SOME_DOC} 
:goonsay:

I had a boss that chastised anyone who used cat where it wasn't needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

code:
grep ${SOME_WORD} ${SOME_DOC} 
:goonsay:

I had a boss that chastised anyone who used cat where it wasn't needed.

I use that syntax, I was just using a example of pipe. :colbert:
I am well aware of UUOC problems. :colbert: :colbert:

• Locked thread