Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mancalamania posted:

It's because when most people come up with a counterintuitive idea they can recognize it as a bad idea and abandon it, but when people who think they are smart come up with the same idea they convince themselves they have thought of a clever, outside-the-box idea.

That's why I was confused that everyone here and even on the show was so surprised by the Brains making weird moves, since it completely matches all my experiences with people who are told they are smart in real life (i.e. all of academia).

Yeah, I had Brawn pegged as the favorites early since they didn't have any real ego tossed in that title and in theory they've all done team sports/jobs that require working with people you don't necessarily get along with. That group turned on itself as soon as the option presented itself but they also showed they were more than capable of coexisting and winning poo poo as long as that was the mutual goal.

In my experience "Brains" are not only often the people who overestimate their own worth and the value of their ideas but they're also the people who can't work well with each other because everyone thinks they're the smartest person in the room. I completely expected them to self destruct and each other alive.

Beauties were the only ones who surprised me a little by being more competitive than I expected. But then again Morgan has perfectly personified the vain and entitled stereotype while Jefra and Jeremiah seem to personify the "pretty but not much going on" stereotype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Shakugan posted:

What I really want to see is a season where every single castaway is a prospective "Brain tribe" member. It's not even that they all have to be smart (I mean, we've seen pretty clearly this season that not all of the brain tribe members were particularly smart in a Survivor strategy sense), they just need to think that they are smart. Because smart people on Survivor often can't help themselves in overplaying due to a supreme belief in their own intelligence, and a season where almost every player overplays would be a gigantic clusterfuck... and therefore awesome.

This really would be the best season, as evidenced by the Brains tribe this season. It's not like it's hard to find enough people that think they're the smartest person of any group you put them in.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HvV Chat: JT just gave Russell his immunity idol. I can't believe what I'm seeing :stare:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

HvV Chat: JT just gave Russell his immunity idol. I can't believe what I'm seeing :stare:

Isn't King Russel the best? :swoon:

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

IRQ posted:

I bet he is returning back in next all-stars. Sure he is saying in twitter he has retired but if CBS calls him he probably will say yes in no time.
I mean for gods sake this man has as much passion for the game as Tony if not even more.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

No he took out my Boston Rob :argh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Nexal posted:

I bet he is returning back in next all-stars. Sure he is saying in twitter he has retired but if CBS calls him he probably will say yes in no time.
I mean for gods sake this man has as much passion for the game as Tony if not even more.

There have been rumblings about him doing another show. Big Brother came up recently, a handful of Amazing Race teams were floated as well. About a year ago Russell and Evel Dick were going back and forth about being an Amazing Race team.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
RUSSELL KILLED JOFFREY

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

"This is the chance to show you're not a villain." :downs:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Rarity posted:

My god, I really need to watch HvV, as soon as possible. Are there any seasons I should see to set it up first (I've seen most of Pearl Islands, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, most of All Stars, Micronesia, most of China, Gabon, the first 6 episodes of Palau, Tocantins, and Samoa)?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Spatula City posted:

My god, I really need to watch HvV, as soon as possible. Are there any seasons I should see to set it up first (I've seen most of Pearl Islands, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, most of All Stars, Micronesia, most of China, Gabon, the first 6 episodes of Palau, Tocantins, and Samoa)?

If your time is limited, finish Samoa and then dive in. If not, watch everything. It's all in YouTube somewhere

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Yeah, I had seen a healthy chunk of all the seasons before I watched HvV the first time and it was amazing. I've now gone back and filled in my gaps with watching Guatemala, Cook Islands, Fiji, China, Gabon, and now finishing up Tocantins. In the mix of that I did first time rewatches of Amazon, Pearl Islands, and Palau. Right after I finish Tocantins, I'm going to rewatch HvV and I am so excited not only to see the incredible season again - but to see it really knowing every character now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Honestly, I haven't found HvV that good. My three favourites all got voted out early (Sugar, Steph, Rob) and most of the season has been about Russell's alliance succeeding through other people being really loving stupid. I'm looking at you Tyson, JT and Candice.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Rarity posted:

Honestly, I haven't found HvV that good. My three favourites all got voted out early (Sugar, Steph, Rob) and most of the season has been about Russell's alliance succeeding through other people being really loving stupid. I'm looking at you Tyson, JT and Candice.

Sugar + Steph are you favorite? :)

I was really pissed that Cerie went out early.

edit: HvV had such a stellar cast, I really hope HvV 2 can match up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TheChad posted:

Sugar + Steph are you favorite? :)

Sugar was totally awesome on Gabon with her special brand of play that you couldn't tell was strategic genius or total stupidity. As for Steph, she's a badass in challenges and I watched Guatemala while I was playing Awful Big Brother and I felt like our playstyles were very similar. I wouldn't necessarily put them in my top 3 ever but out of the HvV cast, yes I would.

e: Why is everyone on Nicaragua just digging their own graves at tribal council? :ughh: Naonka is fabulous though :allears:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 22, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The problem isn't with Heroes vs Villains, it's that two thirds of your favourites suck at Survivor.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BGrifter posted:

The problem isn't with Heroes vs Villains, it's that two thirds of your favourites suck at Survivor.

I'll give you Sugar but Steph got game :colbert:

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Rarity posted:

As for Steph, I watched Guatemala and I felt like our playstyles were very similar.

terrible?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
To me HvV was especially cool because it was a lot more show-y than the seasons right before and especially after it. Some of the challenges were really huge and awesome, and a lot of people made big moves and had interesting personalities. I mean I like the currently airing season but it had someone who quit because they were too mad at somebody. I like to see people on who respect the game they're playing and I thought HvV was very exemplary of that. Though I prefer seasons where there's no pre-existing relationships I thought in HvV it at least made things entertaining.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
This season's amazing. I'm so happy this didn't turn out to be a dud, because we probably would have never gotten an all-newbie season ever again if this turned out to be more like One World -- whenever Jeff is confronted in interviews about the lack of all-newbie seasons in years past, he's always used One World as an example of "why all-newbie seasons don't work." Luckily, he won't have that excuse anymore. Plus, like what everyone's been saying upthread, having all-newbies makes the bigger characters shine more for future All-Star seasons. I loved how randomly awesome last season was, but I think we're all still confused as to why Laura and Monica were ever casted. There's a lot of easy returnee picks this season, including comedy option J'Tia. I will say that, Monica/Laura aside (and :fuckoff: Rupert), I'm still impressed by the inspired returnee casting of last season.

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's a neat idea, but both Yul and Danni have openly said they won't do it again. I doubt you'd see Todd able to, either.

Yul changed his mind sometime in the past few seasons and would love to come back. He won a top-tier season that Probst/Burnett are in love with so I'm almost confident he'd be on the short list of any All-Star season. Danni's been a no since HvV when she was first invited, but Tom said the same thing for years until he showed up on HvV so here's hoping -- she's an extremely underrated winner who survived a chaotic post merge and took advantage of alliance fractures. It's a shame about Todd's situation; kid looked like he'd love to return and it'd be interesting to see him play with the inevitable Amanda/James duo again, but I'm not sure if medical would ever clear him.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I am fearing and anticipating in equal measure the inevitable return of Abi Maria.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Cutthroat. People hated Steph v2 because she gave zero fucks and broke basically every promise she made.

Wizardryo posted:

I loved how randomly awesome last season was, but I think we're all still confused as to why Laura and Monica were ever casted. There's a lot of easy returnee picks this season, including comedy option J'Tia. I will say that, Monica/Laura aside (and :fuckoff: Rupert), I'm still impressed by the inspired returnee casting of last season.

Honestly? We got drat lucky.

Luara: dud, and also creepy
Monica: dud
Kat: dud
Rupert: :gonk:
Candice: :gonk:
Colton: :gonk:
Aras: "Most boring winner ever"
Gervase, I was happy to see him cast, but he ended up being terrible
Tyson: I was happy to see him cast, but his win was only barely more satisfying than Boston Rob's

But, a lot of the loved ones were pretty good and fun to watch, and we were blessed with the most marvelous boot order we could have asked for. I cringe to think what may have happened had RC made it on the island.

Spatula City posted:

I am fearing and anticipating in equal measure the inevitable return of Abi Maria.

I could see her playing a lot more like Jerri from All-Stars: "My strategy this time is to keep my drat mouth shut."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
More Nicaragua thoughts: Brenda is the best :swoon:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rarity posted:

This makes up for your Incorrect Opinion about Steph.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Gervase, I was happy to see him cast, but he ended up being terrible
Tyson: I was happy to see him cast, but his win was only barely more satisfying than Boston Rob's

I spent the entire season wanting to ring Tyson's skinny little neck. It didn't help that the producers threw the game his way either.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rarity posted:

Have you seen Caramoan yet?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you seen Caramoan yet?

Nope, I'm going in order

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

Nope, I'm going in order

Every season, or just the Highlights?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Lord Bude posted:

Every season, or just the Highlights?

Every season :)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

Outstanding.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rarity posted:

:rms:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Marty why did you give your idol to Sash? What the hell is wrong with you? I thought you were a good player :doh:

e: Wait, he didn't get voted out? What the hell? :stare:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 22, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

Marty why did you give your idol to Sash? What the hell is wrong with you? I thought you were a good player :doh:

e: Wait, he didn't get voted out? What the hell? :stare:

Keep up the commentary. It's fun to hear what you think of players and moments as you come to them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pinterest Mom posted:

This makes up for your Incorrect Opinion about Steph.

Steph's fake eyebrows always creeped me the gently caress out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

Steph's fake eyebrows always creeped me the gently caress out.

They're pretty much at right angles :gonk:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rarity posted:

They're pretty much at right angles :gonk:

They're gay, and also retarded.

HvV reunion picture, possible spoiler but unlikely:

Poque fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 22, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Naonka is the best trainwreck ever. I hope she gets another season at some point (don't tell me!)

It has just come to my attention that there's someone in this season called Purple Kelly who I haven't noticed at all. It's Brett from Samoa all over again.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wizardryo posted:

-- whenever Jeff is confronted in interviews about the lack of all-newbie seasons in years past, he's always used One World as an example of "why all-newbie seasons don't work."

I'm pretty new to survivor, I've watched a couple seasons since I have been enjoying the current season. Coincidentally, I'm watching One World now, and what is it exactly that makes it so horrible in relation to others? I can only assume it is the kind of rolling, safe play without much strategy. But to me, it seems like they did it to themselves by making the whole thing start women against men.

Colton for most despicable? How could it get worse?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If you're not done watching it then it's hard to talk about why it was bad, but basically, no dramatic tension whatsoever, and a lot of really stupid contestants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
The winner plays a great game without the benefit of having been on four previous seasons of Survivor, but they don't have a bunch of snarky confessionals and aren't muscular challenge monsters so no one cared. Most people ignore them because they thought they were too boring.

It's not a particularly interesting season of Survivor, but it was at least better than Redemption Island.

• Locked thread