Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably a dumb question, but if I bought naval strike now and decided to upgrade to premium later would I just have to eat the $15 or would it discount it off of the price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Probably a dumb question, but if I bought naval strike now and decided to upgrade to premium later would I just have to eat the $15 or would it discount it off of the price?

There's no discount if you already have some of the DLC.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

NESguerilla posted:

Never buy premium.

I say this as someone who used to buy season passes in the previous gen, and I have 140 hours in BF4.

Also, naval Strike has some bad rubberbanding from what I've been told. I tried played Paracel Storm last night, and the rubberbanding on it was really bad for some reaosn (maybe they broke it in a new patch+they obviously need new servers). I'm not going to buy Naval Strike until they do something about this.

Now, if we get custom servers with a full map rotation, maybe premium would be worth it, especially if you don't have any of the packs. I got China Rising for free, so it'd be only 10 bucks more for me to buy piecemeal.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Now, if we get custom servers with a full map rotation, maybe premium would be worth it, especially if you don't have any of the packs. I got China Rising for free, so it'd be only 10 bucks more for me to buy piecemeal.

Pretty much this. Custom servers can't come soon enough. That way I'll never have to play FloodRoofzone ever again.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
I'm hoping that they're waiting to release custom servers at the same time as the game servers get upgraded.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've come to the amazing conclusion that I play better when un-drunk. What amazing stories do you guys have?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

osietra posted:

I've come to the amazing conclusion that I play better when un-drunk. What amazing stories do you guys have?

I personally play best just a little over tipsy. Playing Battlefield completely sober is a bad idea.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The best mix seems to be a joint and a bottle of cider. The former heightens my tactical senses, and the latter inures me to the senseless mass murder that occurs.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So wait what is the smart way to buy this for ps4 then? I thought premium gave you all the dlc stuff saving you money?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Moochewmoo posted:

So wait what is the smart way to buy this for ps4 then? I thought premium gave you all the dlc stuff saving you money?

the smartest way is to not buy it at all, saving you money and many hours of aggravation.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Linedance posted:

the smartest way is to not buy it at all, saving you money and many hours of aggravation.

Awww man. :(

What if I have a lot of self loathing and fond memories of ps3 goons playing BF3? 100+ bucks for the game plus premium looks steep.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Moochewmoo posted:

What if I have a lot of self loathing and fond memories of ps3 goons playing BF3? 100+ bucks for the game plus premium looks steep.

you can't put a price on Stockholm Syndrome.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
If you didn't learn your lesson from BF3 premium, go for it. How many of the BF3 DLC packs lasted more than a few weeks after release? Its a shame, because I did like some of the maps but anytime we tried playing anything other than vanilla and maybe Back to Karkand, we killed the server

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Moochewmoo posted:

Wait for the inevitable premium edition that will package both the game and a premium code.

Though seriously, you guys are gonna buy the dlc anyway so what's the point. :v:

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wait for the inevitable premium edition that will package both the game and a premium code.

Though seriously, you guys are gonna buy the dlc anyway so what's the point. :v:

Eh fair nuff waiting seems like the smart thing to do. Reading the past few pages kinda reinforces the choice. I hope the unfuck things soon.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Moochewmoo posted:

Eh fair nuff waiting seems like the smart thing to do. Reading the past few pages kinda reinforces the choice. I hope the unfuck things soon.

It really is. As said before if we had a custom ps4 server where we could do map rotation from all the map packs, then buying premium might not be a bad idea.

As it is, each map pack is its own special rotation so you'll be rotating on the same 4 maps until you switch over. Also Apperently naval strike has some insane rubber banding issues and it's creeping over to the vanilla set too. I haven't bought a single map pack yet (China rising for free with a preorder) and I get frustrated enough with regular rotation maps.

Keep in mind, this is dice, we may never be fully unfucked.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

It really is. As said before if we had a custom ps4 server where we could do map rotation from all the map packs, then buying premium might not be a bad idea.

As it is, each map pack is its own special rotation so you'll be rotating on the same 4 maps until you switch over. Also Apperently naval strike has some insane rubber banding issues and it's creeping over to the vanilla set too. I haven't bought a single map pack yet (China rising for free with a preorder) and I get frustrated enough with regular rotation maps.

The gently caress? How is this a good idea? Why can't you just have a random map for you or your squad each round?

I actually really wanted the game to so I can do some multi with my shiney new ps4. Oh well I guess. I'll bookmark the thread in case things change.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Moochewmoo posted:

I got into BF3 like 6 months before BF4 came out, it ran well and was fun as hell with the ps3krew. Hopefully 6 months before BF5, they'll finally have all the bullshit fixed in BF4 :sax:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

...and that is when I'm getting the ps4 version. The game should be fixed by then, but then again :dice:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Moochewmoo posted:

The gently caress? How is this a good idea? Why can't you just have a random map for you or your squad each round?

I actually really wanted the game to so I can do some multi with my shiney new ps4. Oh well I guess. I'll bookmark the thread in case things change.

Yup. Here's the dumb thing. Until we get custom servers, the map rotation is always the same. Playing vanilla map? You always play operation locker after golmud rush.

Play on one of the dlc packs? It rotates among the same 4 dlc maps in the same order.

This is true for every game mode. It rotates in the same order. No matter what game type you play.

Bf4 is worth it for vanilla maps alone but I can't in good faith, recommend anyone buy a single dlc pack or premium. Now if we get custom goon servers on the other hand,that's a whole different story.

Edit: if it helps, it's the best multiplayer on ps4 for now, especially when it works.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Is later evenings a good time to play? I swear when I play at like 6-9pm est the game is entirely full of insufferable shitlords who know 3 things.

1. take transport/jet/attack heli as personal taxi and park on random rooftop.

2. snipe and go 3-2 after a 40 minute match.

3. use stinger from rooftop.

there is nothing else but the rooftop. always stand on rooftop. the rooftop wins you the game.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

You just described the Pubbie Guide to BF4.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Chalupa Joe posted:

...and that is when I'm getting the ps4 version. The game should be fixed by then, but then again :dice:

Or, you know, don't.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Does everyone but me hate BF4 now? I still think it's fun.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I still have fun shooting mans

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I miss BF4 but it seems broken right now. We'll all come back on the Bone eventually.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

a foolish pianist posted:

I've recently re-surfaced from :darksouls: to have a look at the new DLC, and gah. It's the rubber banding that's annoying everyone at the moment. It's no fun when you can't kill anyone or it's a 50/50 chance the bullets you fire are even registering.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

limited posted:

I've recently re-surfaced from :darksouls: to have a look at the new DLC, and gah. It's the rubber banding that's annoying everyone at the moment. It's no fun when you can't kill anyone or it's a 50/50 chance the bullets you fire are even registering.

This goes double if you're driving in a vehicle and trying to kill people as you drive by.

Or imagine getting a sweet rocket kill on a heli lined up, and oops, rubberbanding!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

can't it be both?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

The rubber banding was getting too me and the weather has started to get better so I haven't been on. I'll be back though, the battlefield franchise is really the only shooter I still have a lot of fun playing. Especially with a full squad of goons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Give it some time man. It's only been 7 months. I'm sure they are on it.

At least they "aren't releasing any DLC until it's fixed" so you know they mean business.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Talking about Bad Company 2 with Rhenasaurus a couple nights ago made me want to go back and play a few rounds. If anyone else on PS3 feels like having fun playing rush (:swoon:Laguna Presa), I'll probably hop on sometime this week.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm still playing...sort of. I let my Live sub lapse for a little bit on purpose while I finish up a couple other games and go back and get the single-player achievements in the campaign.

I only have a couple more levels to go, but it's been...interesting. I found out through the awesomeness of wearing my headset while playing late at night that when you are near a collectible dog tag in the campaign, a distinct sound rings out, which helped me narrow all of them down that I missed so far. The "collectible" campaign weapons, on the other hand, don't have the same jingle when you are near them and are a pain in the rear end to find. A bunch of them are in locations you would never think of going to. One of them was in such an obtuse location that I would have never found it without breaking down and checking online (which I absolutely hate doing but gently caress this game).

I also had a fun time in Kunlun last night where the level had trouble loading a lot of the level textures after meeting Irish, and after I took the elevator up, hardly any of the next part of the level loaded, and I had the distinct pleasure of watching a gunfight with almost a dozen people fight in the vast openness of nothing while endlessly falling through the level. The second I stepped off the elevator, I went sailing through the level and fell to my death. Reloading the checkpoint didn't work, restarting the game didn't work, so I had to restart the level and do it over again. Typical :dice:.

Oh yeah, and despite still having to play through two more levels, I already got the Tombstone achievement for beating the campaign on Hard. Yay! :confuoot:

I have to go back tonight and get the achievement where you have to get 20,000 points in Singapore. I can safely say that once I get the rest of the achievements and the other two multiplayer weapons, I'm never touching the campaign again. Why is it so loving hard for these people to make a stable campaign experience? Jesus.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Don't listen to these nerds, most of them will buy all the DLC in spite of complaining about it, be playing a year from now and buy the next game in the series. You guys know it's true. :colbert:

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don't listen to these nerds, most of them will buy all the DLC in spite of complaining about it, be playing a year from now and buy the next game in the series. You guys know it's true. :colbert:

not me gently caress this game haha.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

BF3 was fun, BF4 is fun. Never really disliked any of the DLC in either. Firestorm is great, and boats are cool. :smugbert:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

drat straight, the game's only a grind if you make it one. :smugbert:

revolther
May 27, 2008
I fire it up from time to time but rarely last a round before it's just frustrating. The game is such a bungle, I kinda hope those talks of a class action end up happening just so the industry takes notice. Or at least something like Epic/Atari did with UT2003, where the next turd Dice pushes out is reduced for BF4 buyers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Firestorm is great

You've never even played Firestorm, you're always up in the air! That poo poo don't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Look this game has problems but it's still fun as gently caress. Despite the rubber banding on NS the maps are a fuckin blast. I love burst firing at wookies across the islands in Lost Islands and destroying them before they know what's going on.

• Locked thread