Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Just look at that sad quivering face. And Rust's deadpan face is just hilarious.

Also to think, a few seasons later and he becomes The bat. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Edlund wrote the Scooby Doo episode so he already proved himself capable.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm not a huge fan of the Scooby Doo episode, but THIS DOG loving TALKS is one of my favorite lines in the series.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

notZaar posted:

Edlund wrote the Scooby Doo episode so he already proved himself capable.

Ben Edlund wrote the ~12 issues of The Tick, so he already has my undying gratitude. One of the greatest comic runs ever, by anyone. :patriot:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jack Gladney posted:

I think it's the other way around: they animated it to Rozalla assuming that they'd replace it with something cheaper, but they liked the song they chose too much.

Wouldn't the animation be normal speed then? It all just moves way too fast. It's distracting. And I hate that there's anything that detracts from that sequence as a complete package.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sash! posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the Scooby Doo episode, but THIS DOG loving TALKS is one of my favorite lines in the series.

I'M NOT HERE TO TALK TO THEM! YOU ARE THE HAND CHOSEN BY THE MASTER. YOURS IS THE VEIL OF BLOOD. YOURS IS THE SWORD OF MICHAEL.

I love that episode.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

prefect posted:

For me, the weird part is looking at it from after having watched the episode and realizing that Doc is running away from his life in general, not because of any grief over Hank and Dean.

(Doc Orpheus is still completely awesome, even in retrospect. :allears:)

I dunno considering what we saw in the episode where they went into Rusty's mind, I'd say that every time the boys died it ate at him, even if it was just a little bit(due to Doc being kinda messed up in the head), although if it happened now that clones are no longer a solution it'd probably break him

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Doc becomes less terrible by retconning degrees. He's come a long way since the man who butchered an orphan to make a private masturbation chamber.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

he didn't use the whole thing

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh he's still a jerk. Goddamn Palemon episode basically tells you if you work for him, it's probably going to end up all ScyFy orginal feature film pretty quick. :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shindragon posted:

Oh he's still a jerk. Goddamn Palemon episode basically tells you if you work for him, it's probably going to end up all ScyFy orginal feature film pretty quick. :v:

Hell, it's still weird to go back and see what he did to poor Scamp. :ohdear:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jeffrey posted:

I'M NOT HERE TO TALK TO THEM! YOU ARE THE HAND CHOSEN BY THE MASTER. YOURS IS THE VEIL OF BLOOD. YOURS IS THE SWORD OF MICHAEL.

I love that episode.

Everything Groovy said was great.

prefect posted:

Hell, it's still weird to go back and see what he did to poor Scamp. :ohdear:

You like pretty girls, don't you :colbert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am always partial to "until you're nothing but a pelvis wearing a belt!". The inflections on Fred/Ted slay me. That and the usage of iold school hanna barbara sound effects for really horrible stuff was great.

I'm always curious, how many of you guessed who everyone was the first time?

Internet Alias
Dec 5, 2005
Mirrors are more fun than television.
I also loved that episode, but I'm pretty sure The Tick has made me biased towards anything that has Ben Edlund's name attached to it, especially a writing credit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Brock's dream sequence is a cinematic masterpiece.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Doctor Venture is a great super scientist, it's just that almost every successful project he undertakes is a sin against man and god. He is amazing at bringing things back from the dead, for instance. Hank, Dean, Venturestein, that one congresswoman, Major Tom, and almost Hitler.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

He's a great supervillain, who just got caught on the wrong side of the good/evil split.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
The Walking Eye could sorta be used for good I guess.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
DARK HORSE TO PUBLISH THE ART OF THE VENTURE BROS. http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1677/dark-horse-publish-art-venture-bros?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=venture%20bros

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Doctor Venture is a great super scientist, it's just that almost every successful project he undertakes is a sin against man and god. He is amazing at bringing things back from the dead, for instance. Hank, Dean, Venturestein, that one congresswoman, Major Tom, and almost Hitler.

He had that kid from the day camp back up and breathing (and decancerized) in a few hours!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Another great episode with Henry Killinger. It is probably one of my favorite Rusty episodes because the writings on the wall. Rust is a jerk, he's no good guy. He's selfish, clearly only cares about himself and hates his twin brother.

But is he a bad guy?

What do you think brock?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Aaaand pre-ordered. Has any concept art been revealed before?

revolther
May 27, 2008
Eh, I think Rusty being evil or villainous is kinda subjective. It kinda seems like Rusty is honestly emulating his father without the rose-tinted glasses. It's just not socially acceptable in the modern age to break a few eggs for your science omelette.

I mean we've seen that Jonas Sr in spite of being seen as a heroic icon was capable of some monstrous behavior in the name of science; the guy gassed a group of orphans touring his facility and abandoned them, also abandoned the growing/shrinking team member Dr. Entmann in the same accident, dooming major Tom in another, and experimented with brain washing for military purposes. He also abandoned Hector and Swifty in the manufacturing wing for 20 years, and kinda ran Team Venture like a personal hit squad. All beyond being a completely self obsessed swinger who would pawn his kid off on anyone to chase strange.

All sorta makes Rusty's indifference to orphan bodies, militarizing reanimated corpses, groupie humping, and lackadaisical parenting as an apple fallen not too far from the tree.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

revolther posted:

Eh, I think Rusty being evil or villainous is kinda subjective. It kinda seems like Rusty is honestly emulating his father without the rose-tinted glasses. It's just not socially acceptable in the modern age to break a few eggs for your science omelette.

I mean we've seen that Jonas Sr in spite of being seen as a heroic icon was capable of some monstrous behavior in the name of science; the guy gassed a group of orphans touring his facility and abandoned them, also abandoned the growing/shrinking team member Dr. Entmann in the same accident, dooming major Tom in another, and experimented with brain washing for military purposes. He also abandoned Hector and Swifty in the manufacturing wing for 20 years, and kinda ran Team Venture like a personal hit squad. All beyond being a completely self obsessed swinger who would pawn his kid off on anyone to chase strange.

All sorta makes Rusty's indifference to orphan bodies, militarizing reanimated corpses, groupie humping, and lackadaisical parenting as an apple fallen not too far from the tree.

Rusty is his father's son - at least character-wise. If anything, he hates his twin because 1) he reminds him of his father, and 2) everyone likes Jonas Jr. more even though it's been shown he has a good amount of his father's contempt for and penchant to use and abuse 'the little people.' But he also has *just* the right amount of 'desire to help his fellow man' that it makes Rusty hate him all the more because he's completely incapable (both morally and physically) of considering doing something that doesn't have a profit margin attached to it.

If anything, I've always thought Brock was there to *keep* Rusty from becoming his father. Sort of like a really hosed up six-and-a-half-foot-tall moral compass with a really sharp point. Also, don't forget Rusty's Superego - it was basically a red-headed Jonas Sr.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 21, 2014

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If anything, I've always thought Brock was there to *keep* Rusty from becoming his father. Sort of like a really hosed up six-and-a-half-foot-tall moral compass with a really sharp point. Also, don't forget Rusty's Superego - it was basically a red-headed Jonas Sr.
I almost hope they do more with the Superego. And not just because I want to see Billy and White as Eros and Thantos again :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Brock was there to keep an eye on the Orb. :tinfoil:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Now that Rusty has basically assembled his own Team Venture, I want to see them start to fill the role of the old team. Maybe some tragedy wipes out the established superheroes and forces the OSI to turn to Rusty. Just something to merge the OSI and Venture storylines.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I almost hope they do more with the Superego. And not just because I want to see Billy and White as Eros and Thantos again :allears:

You pinched my nipple!
That's 3rd base!!!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

prefect posted:

I know, but at the same time, Brock HAS been shown to actually care about the Venture family. He even mentions them as being his family in Victor, Echo, November.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 21, 2014

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

prefect posted:

Could be one and the same, or one as a natural outgrowth from the other. Stopping him from activating the Orb is stopping him from doing something that even Jonas didn't do.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how Don Hell is the joke name. I think that is my favorite season 5 episode.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jeffrey posted:

I missed the post-credits scenes when I first saw season 1, I think the season 2 premier worked better without knowing they were clones.

Oh boy, hate to drag this up again, because I know it's "I quit"/"I acquit" all over again*, but Doc says "get their clothes" in the post-credits sequence.

If anything, "Are you There God, it's Me, Dean" was the confirmation they were clones, with Doc saying he should have fixed the testicular torsion problem in the prototype phase. And "The Incredible Mr.Brisby" lays down the groundwork for the cloning stuff, too.

Though I do remember the fun speculation on how the series would continue. Clones was the primary front-runner, but other popular options were that the twins would be gone entirely, and "The Venture Brothers" would just mean Rusty and Jonas, or Dr.O would resurrect them with his magic, or perhaps even using Grover Cleveland's Presidential Time Machine to go back in time to rescue them.

*Actually, I think this aired a couple years before that episode of The Office, so really, I quit/I acquit is a re-hash of "clothes/clones."

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I think that "clones"/"clothes" thing was intentional, they set up a lot of different red herrings in season 1, and then they ran through them all in the season 2 opener.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh boy, hate to drag this up again, because I know it's "I quit"/"I acquit" all over again*, but Doc says "get their clothes" in the post-credits sequence.
Wow I'm gonna re-listen to this when I get home - I was certainly primed to hear clones since I had seen the next episode already.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DrBouvenstein posted:

Though I do remember the fun speculation on how the series would continue. Clones was the primary front-runner, but other popular options were that the twins would be gone entirely, and "The Venture Brothers" would just mean Rusty and Jonas

That's one of the reasons I still love the Season 2 opener. Little things like the intro being changed to show Rusty and Jonas Jr. running around, and Jonas saying "But we're the Venture Brothers!" Nice fake out.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
It's "clothes", clones makes no sense. The boys die all the time, sometimes in ways their bodies can't be recovered, and there are literally hundreds of slugs. Rusty is just too jaded and cheap to see beyond the 10$ of clothes on their back.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The Venture Brothers Thread: Celebrating Ten Wonderful Years of "Clones"/"Clothes" Conversation

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

CoolCab posted:

It's "clothes", clones makes no sense. The boys die all the time, sometimes in ways their bodies can't be recovered, and there are literally hundreds of slugs. Rusty is just too jaded and cheap to see beyond the 10$ of clothes on their back.

Hey man, good kerchiefs aren't cheap!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Naylenas posted:

Hey man, good kerchiefs aren't cheap!

You have to admit, he can still rock a kerchief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DrBouvenstein posted:

Though I do remember the fun speculation on how the series would continue. Clones was the primary front-runner, but other popular options were that the twins would be gone entirely, and "The Venture Brothers" would just mean Rusty and Jonas, or Dr.O would resurrect them with his magic, or perhaps even using Grover Cleveland's Presidential Time Machine to go back in time to rescue them.

I keep seeing this and have no clue what people are talking about!