Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
No.

Dan is pretty much the only reason to watch, and he's been appearing noticeably less. The minimal amount of fucks Arin or Ross give about quality couldn't be more blatant.

Also they added a subscribe pop up.

Raserys fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Raserys posted:

No.

Dan is pretty much the only reason to watch, and he's been appearing noticeably less. The minimal amount of fucks Arin or Ross give about quality couldn't be more blatant.

Also they added a subscribe pop up.

I'm glad Jon left to be honest, it's clear he understood the channel was sucking away all his creativity, and he seems like he's bouncing back with a lot of energy to make his own videos. Arin has just totally dropped every working on anything that isn't Game Grumps related. That Sequelitis he promised like a year ago seems like it's never coming out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OldTennisCourt posted:

So has anyone been watching Game Grumps lately? I stopped watching a while back, is it worth getting back into?

Their Spore game is pretty funny, Ross keeps making horrible dick monsters and Dan keeps getting legitimately horrified and disgusted by the mechanics behind them. Pokemon is decent, it's a pokemon LP so half of it is just walking around but there have been funny conversations.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Who needs actual content when you can be a lazy racist with the eternal cash cow of Game Grumps? I can't remember a single episode in months that didn't contain fart/dick jokes or awful rapping.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Raserys posted:

Who needs actual content when you can be a lazy racist with the eternal cash cow of Game Grumps? I can't remember a single episode in months that didn't contain fart/dick jokes or awful rapping.

WOAH there, where'd racism come in?

also, yeah I've totally dropped game grumps, two best friends play is where the real LP happens.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Game Grumps put out a really, really awful rap album about video game memes? That's something besides just LP'ing all day, isn't it? :v:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Their Spore game is pretty funny, Ross keeps making horrible dick monsters

Making dick monsters in Spore. Truly, the height of creativity in comedy.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Game grumps are pretty alright as passive entertainment, I cant even imagine the kind of person who would actively watch their stuff. But yeah, Dan is pretty much the only reason I still listen to them, Arin has completely dropped any pretense of being funny or good at anything.

Edit:

dsriggs posted:

It's mostly Dan getting noticeably angry and uncomfortable with the dick monsters that makes it funny.

prahanormal fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 20, 2014

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
Game grumps is not funny and juvenile, it was better when the other guy made gay/dick jokes.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Al-Saqr posted:

WOAH there, where'd racism come in?

also, yeah I've totally dropped game grumps, two best friends play is where the real LP happens.

Arin rapping, Arin beatboxing, Arin pulling off ebonics (shiiiit that bitch just got GANKED son! oh dayumn!). It's not any worse than Jon dropping nigga some 10 times in succession and supporting Ron Paul.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dsriggs posted:

It's not the dicks that's funny (though in fairness he did one crazy rear end design for it that was kinda legit impressive) but more that Dan legitimately gets uncomfortable and grossed out by them.

I was gonna try to say where the pokemon stuff got funny but then I remembered the Super Best Friends are doing a Nuzlocke run that's a billion times funnier and involves the story of DMX the pokemon trainer.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Raserys posted:

Arin rapping, Arin beatboxing, Arin pulling off ebonics (shiiiit that bitch just got GANKED son! oh dayumn!). It's not any worse than Jon dropping nigga some 10 times in succession and supporting Ron Paul.

I think you're going way overboard, chill out dude rapping is free for everyone.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Game Grumps is sorta impressive in that they are possibly the only two people on the planet that are bad at Kirby's Epic Yarn.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Raserys posted:

Forums Poster Raserys declares Rap is only for the Blacks, gently caress whitey, cultural appropriation and so on.

Anyways, Game Grumps is about the same as it was when Dan took over--there are less lows, but not as grand of highs. The show is still pretty funny, and Dan's good-nature tends to bring a fun atmosphere to whatever. I think their recent Shadow of the Colossus videos are absolutely worth watching, especially the first two and the last two.

The new subscribe button bullshit is pretty annoying, though, I'm not gonna lie. The show hasn't really declined at all, but Ross isn't very funny and there's a bit of fatigue going on, as it is clearly evident that all of the members of the group are doing a bunch of other side projects and making music albums, so a lot of Game Grumps lately has been semi-lucid ramblings at two in the morning, which sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't.

In a way, I kind of miss Jon's outrageousness, but he's done really well on his own now, and Danny manages to be...less inflammatory, I think, outside of his obsessive reliance on Jew jokes.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jon's a grown manchild that will jerk himself off over wacky "Hitler's K/D ratio" jokes tho. Seeing him ramble on twitter on how he was a psychology puppet master for making people yell at him a few months back with Total "Gazillion IQ Fantasy Misogyny CUMING RIGHT INTO THIS TOP HAT BOITISH MAAITE" Biscuit was honestly souring.

Recently I got to read Super Mario Bros 3: Brick by Brick, the book by MovieBob.

It felt like a chore to read. He doesn't acknowledge that game analysis level by level hasn't been done before (and better), appointing himself to be the pioneer. He messes up grammar and sentence structure a few times. He takes TWO MONTHS to finish Super Mario Brothers 3. At some point he compares watching The Wizard to 9/11. He doesn't show much his other strengths on this, only putting a few references here and there to media (To show an example, here's BrainEater's Gamera Review). His analysis is really base at best, to the point you can tell he didn't bother to boot up a rom of Doki Doki Panic to fool around with other than quote it over and over again. The In-Betweens during the play through come across as awkward, writing about a dying grandmother in the midst of milquetoast game analysis.

I tried to read it with an open mind given how much issues I had with MovieBob, but even ignoring my grievances with the guy I had an hard time trying to scrape something remarkable from this.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 20, 2014

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Forums Poster Raserys declares Rap is only for the Blacks, gently caress whitey, cultural appropriation and so on.

As someone who is not white, yes, gently caress whitey.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You would have to be stupid or 14 to like that poo poo.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I want to see Brad Jones write a book; that dude's gotta have a million stories.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Kunster posted:

Recently I got to read Super Mario Bros 3: Brick by Brick, the book by MovieBob.

It felt like a chore to read. He doesn't acknowledge that game analysis level by level hasn't been done before (and better), appointing himself to be the pioneer. He messes up grammar and sentence structure a few times. He takes TWO MONTHS to finish Super Mario Brothers 3. At some point he compares watching The Wizard to 9/11. He doesn't show much his other strengths on this, only putting a few references here and there to media (To show an example, here's BrainEater's Gamera Review). His analysis is really base at best, to the point you can tell he didn't bother to boot up a rom of Doki Doki Panic to fool around with other than quote it over and over again. The In-Betweens during the play through come across as awkward, writing about a dying grandmother in the midst of milquetoast game analysis.

I tried to read it with an open mind given how much issues I had with MovieBob, but even ignoring my grievances with the guy I had an hard time trying to scrape something remarkable from this.
Anyone who's interested in this subject should check out Drsparkle's Chrontendo blog. It's really well done, he chronicles every game released for the NES, Turbografx, and Sega consoles, and also puts the games into a wider historical context. It's done in three formats, a text version on his blog, a youtube series, and a 60fps version hosted on archive.org.

The video series is easily 100+ hours long at this point, so here's some random excerpts:
A brief look at the Computer Games of 1987
The complete legal clusterfuck that was Tetris
From Chronturbo Episode 2,The very first ever wave of ridiculous games on CD
1988 Arcade Roundup

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
OneOfUs.net is my new favorite podcast/movie review site ever since Spill.com shut down. In fact, the site was founded by Chris "Cyrus" Cox and Brian Salisbery. Martin "Leon" Thomas is a regular guest on "The Original Gentlemen" and the film reviews. This week, the Us have posted reviews for the latest Johnny Depp trainwreck Transcendence and the new Jude Law film Dom Hemingway which sadly isn't a film about the seminal author and all-around badass.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If we're mentioning old spill crew, Korey and Martin also review movies Here. They're going to have a website around June, I guess making a full-fledge website takes a long time.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Kunster posted:

Jon's a grown manchild that will jerk himself off over wacky "Hitler's K/D ratio" jokes tho. Seeing him ramble on twitter on how he was a psychology puppet master for making people yell at him a few months back with Total "Gazillion IQ Fantasy Misogyny CUMING RIGHT INTO THIS TOP HAT BOITISH MAAITE" Biscuit was honestly souring.

I generally like his movie and Big Picture stuff, but the weird thing is that the general quality of his stuff is inverse to how much he cares about it. If it's just stuff he is causally likes, he can be pretty interesting/insightful but as soon as he is a fan of it, he goes full sperg and becomes insufferable by insisting he is right and everybody else an idiot.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There's a point where the quality improves, which makes me think there was a point where he didn't even have a copywriter or remembered he had a background in Film. Until then it's crap like "The Wizard was my personal 9/11" and not bothering to notice that Amaterasu wasn't a "Fox God", which gets really jarring when you notice he bothered to look at Kappas and Ksitigarbha. I'm mentioning the Fox God segment since he could have added an aside about said "unknown flying game"

It doesn't help he keeps going on about it being THE GOLDEN AGE OF VIDEOGAMES either. It's a love letter to SMB3, but for a love letter it doesn't go deeper than a few ganders on a strategy guide and the occasional reminder that He Watched Movies And Read Arthur Conan Doyle once.

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

Anyone who's interested in this subject should check out Drsparkle's Chrontendo blog. It's really well done, he chronicles every game released for the NES, Turbografx, and Sega consoles, and also puts the games into a wider historical context. It's done in three formats, a text version on his blog, a youtube series, and a 60fps version hosted on archive.org.

The video series is easily 100+ hours long at this point, so here's some random excerpts:
A brief look at the Computer Games of 1987
The complete legal clusterfuck that was Tetris
From Chronturbo Episode 2,The very first ever wave of ridiculous games on CD
1988 Arcade Roundup

There was discussion on the previous thread about Chrontendo, and recently Sparkle has been sooooort of trying to get back to posting videos. And as another example, check the RetroNaut Pocket episode where they have him on and he talks on how progressive rock was a thing on videogame soundtracks.

Re Brad Jones: Given his stance on Michael MedVed and The Razzies, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tripod or geocities page laying around with a way younger version of him with reviews, in response to trying to find something to counter act both of those.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 20, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Has there been anyone that has really broken down modern fairy tale adaptations and tried to explain why "Grim Dark" became a thing?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 21, 2014

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Raserys posted:

As someone who is not white, yes, gently caress whitey.

Seems pretty racist to me to make public declarations that certain races are not allowed to rap, beat-box and/or say "dayum".

I say this also as a non-white if it matters (and it most certainly does not).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BigRed0427 posted:

Has there been anyone that has really broken down modern fairy tale adaptations and tried to explain why "Grim Dark" became a thing?

Well fairy tales themselves were actually pretty loving dark if you read the original versions of them. Modern movie adaptations are a lot closer in tone to them than the Disney versions are.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BigRed0427 posted:

The little mermaid ended with her dead and/or a ghost to scare children. Disney made up a lot of bullshit happy endings.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Cannot Find Server posted:

Well fairy tales themselves were actually pretty loving dark if you read the original versions of them. Modern movie adaptations are a lot closer in tone to them than the Disney versions are.

I get what you're saying, but I think BigRed is talking about something else. Not just any sort of "dark" content (or even the horror component of the original Grimm fairy tales), but that Hot Topic/Johnny Depp/Tim Burton/Lemony Snicket/Angstfest "Grimdark" that someone at Disney discovered was really profitable in the mid 00's.

And honestly, that's all it is. Something makes someone a lot of money, so we get a slew of imitators. The Lord of The Rings makes more money than God, so now the new Narnia, Snow White, and Oz have to have big battle scenes.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

My review of Theodore Taylor's 1969 young person novel, The Cay. In which I attempt to tackle the uneasy subject of white people writing stories about racism.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I get what you're saying, but I think BigRed is talking about something else. Not just any sort of "dark" content (or even the horror component of the original Grimm fairy tales), but that Hot Topic/Johnny Depp/Tim Burton/Lemony Snicket/Angstfest "Grimdark" that someone at Disney discovered was really profitable in the mid 00's.

And honestly, that's all it is. Something makes someone a lot of money, so we get a slew of imitators. The Lord of The Rings makes more money than God, so now the new Narnia, Snow White, and Oz have to have big battle scenes.

Yeah, this. I brought it up because I found a old book I had called The Child Thief which is a grim dark retelling of Peter Pan. (My avatar pic is actually from that book) It's actually pretty terrible. Everything you could want in a Grimdark story (Blood, swearing, unnecessary sexual moments) plus it misses the goddamn point of the original story and instead gives us a anti war and anti christian story. (one of the main villains is a Priest instead of Captain Hook)

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

SFDebris just posted his review of Transformers. I am just about to leave for school so I don't have time to watch it, so I don't know if it's any good or not yet. Maybe one of you guys could check it out and see.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh hey I wasn't aware Josh Hadley and Brad Jones' hero for boxing unfit movie critics and putting some random guy in blackface Uwe Bowl made a third In The Name Of The King.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Kunster posted:

Oh hey I wasn't aware Josh Hadley and Brad Jones' hero for boxing unfit movie critics and putting some random guy in blackface Uwe Bowl made a third In The Name Of The King.

Wait there was more than one of these? All I remember is the one with Jason Statham and Ray Liotta awkwardly yelling as an evil wizard and that was actually sorta amusing in the bad way? Along with their horrible special effects.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yes, that's where more or less the third one is sort of based on.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

poparena posted:

My review of Theodore Taylor's 1969 young person novel, The Cay. In which I attempt to tackle the uneasy subject of white people writing stories about racism.

Yeah, it's a fine book.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Kunster posted:

and that why he put 3 of his films on his worst films of the year list in 2011?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

BigRed0427 posted:

(My avatar pic is actually from that book)

No poo poo, for the longest time I thought it was fan-art of a Dragon Age character.

Anyways speaking of fairy tales the Nostalgia Critic reviews "Swan Princess".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Cyron posted:

and that why he put 3 of his films on his worst films of the year list in 2011?

His opinion got a hell lot more brighter after the RadioDrome Uwe Boll interview! I'm not saying this should have been a piece where they dragged him through the mud, but them being fanboyish after the interview really tells a lot.

(And Brad saying he's not bigoted because he called the Chuck Berry scene on Back To the Future Racist kind of proves my point. "Hmmm, my friend won't stop demonizing black people, says that n****r isn't a racial slur, stated being afraid of black churches for potential *reverse racism*, shits on handicapped places saying it will lead to priveledged black and gay parking places, calls Al-Jazeera a honeypot of terrorism and anti-americanism, defended Michael Savage over screaming at a gay guy to go get AIDS, his facebook page has him saying that Save The Pearls is a good commentary on racial politics, defended the gently caress out of George Zimmerman and this could go on, but one time, one time only he made a Cracked-type "progressive" quib which negates every single ounce of bigotry that could exist on that bo- MY GOD PURE IDEOLOGY)

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Kunster posted:

His opinion got a hell lot more brighter after the RadioDrome Uwe Boll interview! I'm not saying this should have been a piece where they dragged him through the mud, but them being fanboyish after the interview really tells a lot.

(And Brad saying he's not bigoted because he called the Chuck Berry scene on Back To the Future Racist kind of proves my point. "Hmmm, my friend won't stop demonizing black people, says that n****r isn't a racial slur, stated being afraid of black churches for potential *reverse racism*, shits on handicapped places saying it will lead to priveledged black and gay parking places, calls Al-Jazeera a honeypot of terrorism and anti-americanism, defended Michael Savage over screaming at a gay guy to go get AIDS, his facebook page has him saying that Save The Pearls is a good commentary on racial politics, defended the gently caress out of George Zimmerman and this could go on, but one time, one time only he made a Cracked-type "progressive" quib which negates every single ounce of bigotry that could exist on that bo- MY GOD PURE IDEOLOGY)

he left radiodrone for 6 months and it clear that he don't think highly of josh anymore if you listen to him. and that twitter was him making fun of josh. brad is not racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I didn't gather that, I thought he was being vaguely apologetic or something.

(He still holds Uwe Bowl at a higher standard than 2011.)

• Locked thread