Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SybilVimes posted:

Looks like farage has gotten too close to actually being relevant and the push back to ensure that the UKIP is kept as a distraction only has started:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/20/marine-le-pen-nigel-farage-slander-antisemitism-claims

(Not only does Le Pen essentially say that Farage is a liar trying to bolster his public image, but the founder of UKIP has stated that Farage is a alcoholic, dim, racist, who once described black people as n*****s)

Farage is a shite trying to have it both ways by calling her racists while praising her achievements(how does that work?), but Lepen is infinitely worse because she sues every time someone suggest her party might be populated by racists or even far right.

I mean, I could respect him trying to distance his party from the more fascistic elements of the mainland, but then he praises people like her and Putin anyway, I don't understand what's his strategy at all.

I'm mainly glad she won't be able to recruit him into her crusade-for now anyway.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Pissflaps posted:

Wasn't this what caused a riot in British ruled India?

It was a mutiny by Indian soldiers that led to a rebellion which lasted for a year and forced the British government to dissolve the East India Company and take charge openly. Calling that a riot is one hell of an understatement.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kassad posted:

It was a mutiny by Indian soldiers that led to a rebellion which lasted for a year and forced the British government to dissolve the East India Company and take charge openly. Calling that a riot is one hell of an understatement.

And similarly that didn't all happen just because of some animal fat in the ammunition.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I remember when I was in the Scottish Youth Parliament; the first sitting we had after we launched our marriage equality campaign was held in a catholic schools in Saltcoats that not only had some really creepy displays about the pope's visit of Scotland, but had a bunch of stickers from Scotland for Marriage stuck to random windows around the school. I know that religious schools on the west coast of Scotland is a little controversial; but I didn't think that they would be allowed to do that sort of poo poo.

Abolish the lot of them; religions have no place in running schools; although they should be involved in religious education; since knowing about religion is sort of an important thing. One school trip that I remember from being a kid was a trip to the local Islamic Centre, which was quite an interesting experience for a kid brought up by a Church of Scotland mother and a dad that didn't give a poo poo and would rather play golf...

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Trickjaw posted:

The Gurkhas objected to ammunition that you had to bit the end off to load because it was sealed with pig fat, IIRC. This was british made ammunition.

This is a common misconception - while sepoys' willingness to believe the rumours of greased ammunition indicate that the Company government was still alien and not well-liked, the Company was well aware of caste problems with using greased ammunition and the ammunition used by soldiers in the Indian Army was sealed with wax, not fat. It was sadly an example of a malignant rumour snowballing into tragedy, and local measures to try and calm the disquiet (orders were made by India's Military Secretary for cartridges to be supplied unwaxed and soldiers to wax them themselves, or to adjust drills so cartridges were torn by hand rather than bitten) actually only exacerbated it by making soldiers suspicious that there was something wrong with the cartridges in the first place, "no smoke without fire" and so on.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 20, 2014

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM

IceAgeComing posted:

I remember when I was in the Scottish Youth Parliament; the first sitting we had after we launched our marriage equality campaign was held in a catholic schools in Saltcoats that not only had some really creepy displays about the pope's visit of Scotland, but had a bunch of stickers from Scotland for Marriage stuck to random windows around the school. I know that religious schools on the west coast of Scotland is a little controversial; but I didn't think that they would be allowed to do that sort of poo poo.

Abolish the lot of them; religions have no place in running schools; although they should be involved in religious education; since knowing about religion is sort of an important thing. One school trip that I remember from being a kid was a trip to the local Islamic Centre, which was quite an interesting experience for a kid brought up by a Church of Scotland mother and a dad that didn't give a poo poo and would rather play golf...

There's a really good historical basis for state funded Catholic schools in Scotland. That said, this isn't 1918, and all selective schooling is fundamentally dodgy.

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM

kapparomeo posted:

This is a common misconception - while sepoys' willingness to believe the rumours of greased ammunition indicate that the Company government was still alien and not well-liked, the Company was well aware of caste problems with using greased ammunition and the ammunition used by soldiers in the Indian Army was sealed with wax, not fat. It was sadly an example of a malignant rumour snowballing into tragedy, and local measures to try and calm the disquiet (orders were made by India's Military Secretary for cartridges to be supplied unwaxed and soldiers to wax them themselves, or to adjust drills so cartridges were torn by hand rather than bitten) actually only exacerbated it by making soldiers suspicious that there was something wrong with the cartridges in the first place, "no smoke without fire" and so on.

Except many cartridges were, initially, greased with tallow or lard. In reality, the mutiny was about pay, promotions and proselyting. The regiments that hadn't recruited from high caste Hindus or wealthy Muslims didn't revolt, nor did the Sikhs. Once the mutiny started, however, there were many other tensions involved in Company rule that led to a general revolt.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Zero Gravitas posted:

Not Istanbul?

Yeah, why did Constantinople get the works?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Iohannes posted:

Except many cartridges were, initially, greased with tallow or lard. In reality, the mutiny was about pay, promotions and proselyting. The regiments that hadn't recruited from high caste Hindus or wealthy Muslims didn't revolt, nor did the Sikhs. Once the mutiny started, however, there were many other tensions involved in Company rule that led to a general revolt.

I've read a Flashman book about this and can confidently say that it was about overbearing Company chaplains and sepoys getting sick of being called friend of the family and kicked.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TinTower posted:

Yeah, why did Constantinople get the works?

That's nobody's business but the Turks.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's quite interesting, as someone who's known a few Muslim people, to see who will happily go to a pub and who won't.* I'd say it's almost the same proportion as will cover their head (outside a mosque) compared to those who don't.
Which, by itself, tells me it's more of a cultural than a religious issue. (Although, if you were to argue that there's no point in going to a pub if you're not going to drink alcohol, I doubt I'd disagree with you.)

On the music/poetry front, that strikes me as a quasi Salafi-st interpretation of the Quran. I've known someone who converted to Islam and was given the whole "No music" line and proceeded to overlook it, on the basis that it was the only way she could support herself. Pretty much no-one else I know who's a functioning member of society gives that notion the time of day.

* - Not suggesting they'll drink alcohol; just go to a pub for social reasons.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

kingturnip posted:

It's quite interesting, as someone who's known a few Muslim people, to see who will happily go to a pub and who won't.* I'd say it's almost the same proportion as will cover their head (outside a mosque) compared to those who don't.
Which, by itself, tells me it's more of a cultural than a religious issue. (Although, if you were to argue that there's no point in going to a pub if you're not going to drink alcohol, I doubt I'd disagree with you.)

Depends on the pub, really.

I don't know if it's because I just got home from work or the cider or what, but this is completely hilarious.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 21, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Australia: "dad, Look what I'm doing"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-20/disability-pensioners-may-be-reassessed-kevin-andrews/5400598 posted:

The Federal Government is considering using independent doctors to examine disability pensioners and assess whether they should continue to receive payments.

Currently family doctors provide reports supporting claims for the Disability Support Pension (DSP). But Social Services Minister Kevin Andrews is considering a measure that would see independent doctors reassess eligibility. "We are concerned that where people can work, the best form of welfare is work," Mr Andrews said at a press conference. "We want to help people to be able to stay in work wherever possible."

About 830,000 Australians currently receive the DSP - every week 1,000 more join that tally. A single person over the age of 21 can claim a maximum of $766 per fortnight on the DSP. Mr Andrews says the cost of funding the DSP will rise from $15 billion each year to $18 billion by 2016-17.

He says reassessing everyone would not be cost-effective but a more targeted program to return people to the workforce could help. "We are not aimed at the great bulk of people on the DSP," he said. "It's really looking at whether or not particularly younger people - say under the age of 30 or 35 - who prospectively might go on to the DSP, if we can keep them in work," he said. "We know that's a better outcome for them and, overall, a saving for the taxpayer."

The Government has received an interim discussion paper by Patrick McClure as part of a review into the welfare system. Mr Andrews says he plans to release the paper in the next few weeks and begin consultations with the community. His office says nothing has been decided yet and the Government would have to choose an appropriate timeframe for the reassessments.

Disabilities group slams proposed changes

But a group representing people with disabilities has labelled the proposed changes cruel. People With Disabilities president Craig Wallace says the timing is inappropriate. "This is a time when people are meant to be spending time with their families," he said.

Opposition employment spokesman Brendan O'Connor agrees. "People would have woken up very concerned that their very modest income is under attack," he said. "I mean what a way to engage with hundreds of thousands of Australians, to have to wake up to news that their incomes may be cut."

Disability Discrimination Commissioner Graeme Innes says the move would punish people who are already disadvantaged. "If you look at the level of Centrelink fraud, it's very small in this area," he said. "I wouldn't like to say that there'd be no cases, but I think that there would be very few, if there are any."

UK: I couldn't be more proud.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Nah, the kid's not going nearly far enough. I mean, they are only aiming at the young instead of ALL layabouts, and worse the assessors are still going to be doctors. Probably got things like "a shred of objectivity" or "medical ethics" or "basic loving decency" to interfere with.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Zero Gravitas posted:

Not Istanbul?

Tch, Byzantium.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Spangly A posted:

What's changed then, that both Islam and Christianity have slowly started to go a bit strange about how everything actually literally happened?

It is part of a general cultural movement that elevates the authority of written words over personal power hierarchies. (See: science, protestantism.) When literacy becomes widespread, anyone who has a disagreement with the authorities is now able to claim a rival authority, and has a reason to elevate its importance.

Also, the increasing possibility of atheism means the less conservative lose influence in churches by leaving them - the 20th century basically saw the collapse of Liberal Christianity. Those left in develop something of a siege mentality against the modern world, making ancient books even more appealing. Especially if the modern world is dominated by invading foreigners, while the book feels like part of your own culture.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Oh dear me posted:

Especially if the modern world is dominated by invading foreigners, while the book feels like part of your own culture.

One day I shall find a societal problem that doesn't somehow involve the human response of "gently caress foreigners" and I'll feel a bit better.

At least the daily mail article has caused a surge of donations to charity. We shouldn't need them, but at least enough people can see through the bullshit to and realise something has to be done for it to be noticable.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Hello UK megathread, I'm looking for a good history book on The Troubles! Any suggestions? Thanks!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

One day I shall find a societal problem that doesn't somehow involve the human response of "gently caress foreigners" and I'll feel a bit better.

At least the daily mail article has caused a surge of donations to charity. We shouldn't need them, but at least enough people can see through the bullshit to and realise something has to be done for it to be noticable.

Well it's more "gently caress the other people" than "gently caress foreigners", although of course foreigners are easier to otherise. It was probably the very first demagogic trick and it's worked well ever since. In fact you can pretty much boil all right-wing politics (and yeah I definitely consider the radical wings of any religion as political movements) down to "gently caress other people" with the rest just being footnotes about who the other people are.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

it's been hours since the last housing chat
how's this for a catastrophically stupid move:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/apr/21/new-garden-cities-low-cost-homes

quote:

A Tory planning minister has admitted that the coalition's new wave of garden cities would not have to contain a single affordable home, despite Nick Clegg's claims that they would offer low-cost accommodation and help solve the UK's housing crisis.

As the government unveiled plans for new garden cities containing 15,000 homes each, it emerged that developers would not need to reserve a certain proportion of the properties for those struggling most with the cost of living.

Asked by Labour whether the first garden city in Ebbsfleet would contain low-cost homes, Nick Boles, a Conservative minister, said the government would "not impose a particular level of affordable housing for housing schemes".

"Unrealistic Section 106 agreements [which specify how many affordable homes should be built] result in no development, no regeneration and no community benefits," he added.

Under changes brought in by the coalition, developers can challenge requirements for affordable housing imposed by councils, with some firms arguing that they depress the prices they can get for properties in the rest of the development.

Clegg said a new wave of garden cities would "provide affordable homes, good schools, and jobs for the next generation, whilst at the same time preserving the countryside" as he invited communities to bid for funding from a £2.4bn pot to host the new developments by 2020.

However, the prospectus launched by the government only said that local areas "may wish to consider" mixed-tenure homes which were "affordable for ordinary people". It added: "The government does not wish to impose any definition of what garden cities are, but instead intends to work with localities to support them in developing and delivering their own vision."

Clegg said he hoped that a new set of cities would help create an "ark of prosperity" in the south-east, where people wanted to live but were currently unable to find houses.

Labour accused the government of failing to tackle the housing crisis early enough and of ignoring the issue of whether any new homes would actually help those struggling to find affordable accommodation.

Roberta Blackman-Woods, a shadow communities and local government minister, said: "The government is failing to tackle the housing crisis and as a result, home ownership remains out of reach for too many low and middle-income earners. It is vital that the government takes affordable housing seriously in any plans for new development, but so far they have avoided such a commitment. We would expect that any proposals brought forward for new garden cities to address the growing need for affordable housing."

A spokesman for the Department for Communities and Local Government confirmed there were no Whitehall targets for the number of affordable homes in garden cities.

"The government does not wish to impose any definition of what garden cities are," is a pretty odd statement. It's already a fairly well defined term and not anything to do with this current lot.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well it's more "gently caress the other people" than "gently caress foreigners", although of course foreigners are easier to otherise. It was probably the very first demagogic trick and it's worked well ever since. In fact you can pretty much boil all right-wing politics (and yeah I definitely consider the radical wings of any religion as political movements) down to "gently caress other people" with the rest just being footnotes about who the other people are.

Just right-wing?
The "All [insert chosen group of others here] Are Bastards" template pretty well covers exactly the same sort of unthinking knee-twitch.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

EmptyVessel posted:

Just right-wing?
The "All [insert chosen group of others here] Are Bastards" template pretty well covers exactly the same sort of unthinking knee-twitch.

ACAB etc certainly uses that same template. The difference being it's factually accurate.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

EmptyVessel posted:

Just right-wing?

Because you're born a cop and a cop til the day you die...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

EmptyVessel posted:

Just right-wing?

Only if you buy into the '[foreign/ethnic group] systemically work in concert to further their secret agenda' talk

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Spangly A posted:

ACAB etc certainly uses that same template. The difference being it's factually accurate.

I disagree.
(anecdote: i)The last two police I had to deal with - a few months ago - were actually pretty nice especially considering that they were interviewing me under caution, they pretty quickly made it clear that they thought the allegations being investigated were bullshit and did their best to minimise the stress I was under.
(anecdote: ii) I have been screwed over/robbed/etc. far more by junkies than I ever have by the polis. You happy for me to take away from that that All Heroin Users Are Bastards? (They are not, but a fair proportion are pretty lovely.)

Factually accurate -> We Are All Bastards In Someone's Eyes

SybilVimes posted:

Because you're born a cop and a cop til the day you die...

So an individual's value can be determined by which box or label another group puts them in? And you would be fine with a similar approach being taken towards yourself?

E: @ baka kaba But people do this all the time? ie. All Blacks/Irish/Gypsies Are Lazy/Thieves/Dirty.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 21, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

EmptyVessel posted:

E: @ baka kaba But people do this all the time? ie. All Blacks/Irish/Gypsies Are Lazy/Thieves/Dirty.

Yeah, that's my point. It's not the same thing as 'the police are systemically corrupt, closing ranks and defending abuses of power while punishing anyone who dissents'. That's because the police actually is a formal institution, one whose members occupy a position of power and authority in society. Sweeping paranoia and prejudice against members of minority groups is a little different

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

How do people fail to understand ACAB? It's really loving simple.

It's not a judgement on the personality of any individual officer. It's about the role of police in society, and the things they are willing to do if so ordered. It's about miners' strikes, and Hillsborough, and suppression of peaceful protest, and infiltration of activist groups, and systemic corruption and racism. The fact that your local bobby is friendly to your rich, white, middle class self has no bearing on this whatsoever.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Wolfsbane posted:

How do people fail to understand ACAB? It's really loving simple.

It's not a judgement on the personality of any individual officer. It's about the role of police in society, and the things they are willing to do if so ordered. It's about miners' strikes, and Hillsborough, and suppression of peaceful protest, and infiltration of activist groups, and systemic corruption and racism. The fact that your local bobby is friendly to your rich, white, middle class self has no bearing on this whatsoever.

That's one hell of an assumption brother (and the officers in anecdote:i were plain clothes and nothing like a 'local bobby').

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Wolfsbane you didn't need to make that assumption man, sometimes coppers aren't utter shitheads to everyone.

However, EV,

baka kaba posted:

'the police are systemically corrupt, closing ranks and defending abuses of power while punishing anyone who dissents'. That's because the police actually is a formal institution, one whose members occupy a position of power and authority in society. Sweeping paranoia and prejudice against members of minority groups is a little different

ACAB will be an absolute truth until they at least try to sort out the utter bullshit that is "only coppers can investigate coppers". Mark Duggan was lawfully killed for fucks sake. It is an institution of filth.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Cerv posted:

it's been hours since the last housing chat
how's this for a catastrophically stupid move:

Great, so it'll be a garden city composed of 15,000 foreign investor owned properties, all left empty to avoid the hassle of having actual tenants impeding the capital appreciation from endless house price inflation.

I really think we should ban foreign investors from buying property, like they do in Singapore. And anybody leaving a perfectly good property empty should have their council tax bumped up to £10,000 a month until they bloody well get someone in there.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Spangly A posted:

Wolfsbane you didn't need to make that assumption man, sometimes coppers aren't utter shitheads to everyone.

Fair enough. I've lived in Tottenham and Brixton, which has probably coloured (heh) my view of the average police officer. It was also tangential to the main point, which is that the problems with the police force are systemic and tied to the wider problems with the way we've chosen to set up our society, rather than anything to do with individuals.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EmptyVessel posted:

Just right-wing?

I don't actually think it's universal across right-wing politics (although you could possibly characterise ancap/market libertarianism as defining "Other" as "literally every other human being on Earth", rather than them not otherising) - it's certainly something much more common in right-wing politics though.

TBH I chose right-wing just to avoid a dull derail about how one particular brand of left-wing politics didn't fit that template (and that people who didn't would be the first against the wall) but as it's happening anyway, let's roll with it. I think it's found all across political speech because it's so easy. It's easy for the politician/demagogue, and it's easy for their audience too. German politics in the interwar period had lots of parties trying to be inclusive and healing but ultimately "IT'S ALL THE JEWS FAULT" won out as a platform. Modern British politics is spreading the poo poo around a bit but it still boils down to "loving immigrants/eurocrats/dole scroungers/chavs/jocks/sassenachs/sluts/BBC/[continue ad nauseum], if it weren't for them everything would be great".

I don't fall for the oft-touted opinion that people are inherently racist/hateful/greedy/whatever (any more...), but that it's a really easy button to push in people's heads. It's way easier to explain away problems as being the fault of Them. After all I'm not one of Them, am I? And I certainly wouldn't allow these things to happen, so it must be Them. Our brains like nice, simple explanations like that, and that's a weakness, but not one that's inevitable.

In days gone by of course this weakness was recognised by politicians and fought against simply by using that self-same liking of the human brain for stories to bring forward the disgusting situations people found themselves in - from Booth, through Dickens, to the early Labour Party, all used simple, human stories to explain the horror of the condition of the poor. Amazingly even the press got in on it - while at least part of it was prurient "poverty tourism", the Daily Mail - yes, them - were a powerful force for good in the late 19th and early 20th century with their reporting on the rookeries of the East End and the conditions of the workers in factories.

Now of course - particularly with the Blairite total reliance on focus-grouping - no attempt is ever made to change the story or the narrative other than for the worse, to tighten the Other down to as small a group as possible while still being electable. This is what's ultimately killing British (and most Western) politics, and it's a process that only accelerates with the smaller and smaller portions in which people get their news and form their opinions.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

EmptyVessel posted:

So an individual's value can be determined by which box or label another group puts them in? And you would be fine with a similar approach being taken towards yourself?

gently caress you, if I could choose to not be trans, and stop the hatred, I would, but I can't, a cop chooses to be a bastard and you know it.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Spangly A posted:

However, EV,

baka kaba posted:
'the police are systemically corrupt, closing ranks and defending abuses of power while punishing anyone who dissents'. That's because the police actually is a formal institution, one whose members occupy a position of power and authority in society. Sweeping paranoia and prejudice against members of minority groups is a little different

ACAB will be an absolute truth until they at least try to sort out the utter bullshit that is "only coppers can investigate coppers". Mark Duggan was lawfully killed for fucks sake. It is an institution of filth.

Absolutely agree that the institution is very sick and needs drastic surgery applied by genuinely objective external parties if it is to be salvaged meaningfully.
However, even this observation is not equally true across the entire country and the different regional police bodies are not all equally shite, both currently and historically. (London is as usual a special and truly horrible case and has been for decades. I'm old enough to remember Sus and the SPG, and the police facilitation of cheap smack to keep the underclass quiet.) Overlooking this and applying a broadbrush universal condemnation of all Cops everywhere forever gives those individuals in the institution who may agree with the position that they are part of a broken thing that needs change precious little reason to think they might be able to work with you to improve it.

(Wow a lot more words to read..)

@SybilVimes I was not trying to trivialise your position (or anyone else's) but I'm sorry, F. you if you think all cops join the force because they want to be bastards. I'm ancient and when I was finishing High School, in the late 70s, I had good friends who ended up joining the Force and the Army simply because there were no other options there at all if you didn't have the results to make Uni or College possible.

E: @ goddamnedtwisto Absolutely agree, the negative reflex Othering into simple categories of hate is really, really Easy and as such is a human trait that is exploited by Bastards of all stripes. It's the easiness that makes me uncomfortable - if it's that simple to catalogue whole groups you probably haven't thought about it in depth, if at all. Your last paragraph is bang on - the reliance on smaller and smaller gobbets of 'information' to form and shape opinion (personal, communal, national, global) is something that makes it harder and harder to resist the call of "Burn Them All" cynicism. loving human beings, who would be one?

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 21, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah I think some people are having trouble with the difference between voluntarily-joined institutions with specific remits, and disparate groups of people who happen to share certain characteristics.

This thread's gone over it before and I think we've all agreed more than once that ACAB doesn't mean literally every peeler on the planet was born to unwed parents. It's an indictment of the institutional problems which the police make special effort to protect, either by stopping things coming to light, by fobbing the people off with milquetoast excuses, or ultimately through sabotaging reforms as far as possible.

Most people like the idea of the police in principle. I do. I want effective and dedicated people out there tracking down muggers and rapists and murderers (putting aside what we do with them once they're convicted). In actuality a large part of their role is as an institution used by the powerful and elite to protect themselves from the dissatisfaction of the poor, disenfranchised, or otherwise dissatisfied, and as long as they do that there's not much incentive to reform them.

In my anecdotal experience most peelers are decent enough and genuinely want to do some good. Hell, I imagine many of the ones who are outright bastards still do some good in the world when they're not being bastards. All but the worst are going to be honestly dedicated to cracking pedophilia rings or finding brutal killers, for admittedly hyperbolic example. That doesn't absolve them of complicity in the deep and shocking institutional problems within the police force. That's the key right there - the police force. It is ultimately a violent institution and whilst there may be some necessity to that, emphasizing and normalizing it leads us to the current and worsening situation where it's quite acceptable for the police to kill people like de Menezes or Tomlinson. When things do cause an outcry the efforts to uncover the truth are stymied or outright annihilated, and there are few if any consequences both for the crime itself and for the efforts of police to cover up for themselves and each other.

Nobody expects a perfect organization that never makes mistakes. We do expect an organization that admits to its mistakes and moves rapidly and effectively to deal with corrupt, inept, or vicious bastard officers. Until we get that, all cops will remain bastards.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A fine piece of Tory local election propaganda came in the post today. For context, this is an area in which the Tories have no seats. It's Labour-controlled (34) with the LibDems a close second (23). I believe it has been similar for a long time (though I can't confirm as I'm trying to research it but am having trouble digging up records).

This is the first peep I've heard from the Tories regarding the local council but I'm surprised to hear anything at all, given the gently caress-all chance they have. They seem to be of the opinion the LibDems will go extinct here.

Their paper is the "Haringey Guardian". I don't know why they chose to pretend they were the guardian national newspaper, what with that lower-case g and near-identical font face. Are they trying to trick liberals or something?

The betting shop 'article' is standard rubbish (full of poo poo puns for some reason) but it's the other things that win it for me. I particularly like the "The LibDems can't win here" - and the Tories can? With their zero seats? At least the LibDems exist. If people are going to turn away from the LibDems in droves I doubt it will be to vote Tory instead. On the second page they drive the point again with the two horse race bollocks. I like how the blue horse is ahead of the red horse.

Then there's the "democracy needs opposition!" article in which the Tories decide they will usurp the LibDem's second place and keep an eye on labour, lest Haringey become a one-party state like North Korea (implied, but not exactly subtle) :psyduck:

A random mugshot of Boris on the front even though the council elections have no bearing on the mayoral elections. But then he's a legend so why not. As for the other mug.... :stonk:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Surely too you must factor that a core part of liberal/leftist identity is the idea of social forces and redemption. All coppers are bastards because the force is corrupt. All tories are bastards because they continue with conservative or regressive views in spite of the harm they cause because they benefit them or comfort their worldview. Flat Earth News has a chapter on Blair's progressive policing reforms and how fantastically they worked: by attempting to understand the complex social interactions that lead to crime, you can find a critical weak point in the chain and poke it. It gives an example of reducing city-wide muggings by strategic placement of park benches, essentially in the same way that CCTV is supposed to function as a deterrant with the key difference of a) it actually working and b) not raising questions of intrusive surveillance.

ATAB comes into it when the Tories began to yammer on about falling arrest rates, deliberately ignoring that arrests in relation to reported crime was increasing as a percentage, because crime began to fall with innovative solutions and structured community relations.

But to bring this to redemption, all coppers are bastards, and all tories are bastards, but this has no basis in biology and can be changed permanently while providing a better quality of life for all involved. Queers and immigrants and poors do not get to choose their birth circumstance and life after. Every Tory can stop being a horrible poo poo, and every police offer can also be redeemed. That they make no attempt to do so in spite of solutions being present and understood is why they are bastards.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

KKKlean Energy posted:

A fine piece of Tory local election propaganda came in the post today. For context, this is an area in which the Tories have no seats. It's Labour-controlled (34) with the LibDems a close second (23). I believe it has been similar for a long time (though I can't confirm as I'm trying to research it but am having trouble digging up records).

This is the first peep I've heard from the Tories regarding the local council but I'm surprised to hear anything at all, given the gently caress-all chance they have. They seem to be of the opinion the LibDems will go extinct here.

Their paper is the "Haringey Guardian". I don't know why they chose to pretend they were the guardian national newspaper, what with that lower-case g and near-identical font face. Are they trying to trick liberals or something?

The betting shop 'article' is standard rubbish (full of poo poo puns for some reason) but it's the other things that win it for me. I particularly like the "The LibDems can't win here" - and the Tories can? With their zero seats? At least the LibDems exist. If people are going to turn away from the LibDems in droves I doubt it will be to vote Tory instead. On the second page they drive the point again with the two horse race bollocks. I like how the blue horse is ahead of the red horse.

Then there's the "democracy needs opposition!" article in which the Tories decide they will usurp the LibDem's second place and keep an eye on labour, lest Haringey become a one-party state like North Korea (implied, but not exactly subtle) :psyduck:

A random mugshot of Boris on the front even though the council elections have no bearing on the mayoral elections. But then he's a legend so why not. As for the other mug.... :stonk:

You missed the irony of them deriding gambling on the front page, yet positively promoting a horse racing metaphor on the second.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Eat horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Semprini posted:

What can we expect in new week's MoS? "Our reporter called 999 and complained of the symptoms of a heart attack. But he was actually reading the symptoms off the INTERNET and bungling NHS chiefs sent out an ambulance for his MADE-UP claims!"

(page 9: child dies as ambulance doesn't arrive soon enough)

This was brilliant

• Locked thread