Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RME
Feb 20, 2012

I didn't know there was a legacy version of Melira Pod but I'm also not all that surprised i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Yeah there's a legacy Pod deck but it only does well against fair decks from the lists I've seen.

edit: It's apparently Nic Fit deck with some pod stuff. http://www.twitch.tv/deathstarmtg/b/467131960

Korak fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 20, 2014

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

At the SCG open, elves went off but the craterhoof's ability got stifled. So now he's just playing his entire deck to win next turn. It's hard to tell, but I think he has 17 creatures in play at the moment. It's pretty great.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Drew Levin had a sweet legacy pod brew with Orcish Lumberjacks a couple weeks ago. Caleb has written some good stuff about possible pod lists for legacy and I always like seeing people give it a try.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

That Zealous Persecution was SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
"Plow his mother to go up to 1" might be the most unfortunate phrase I've heard all day.

Also goddamn what a blowout from Zealous Persecution.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Maverick coming back to win? :drat:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

TheKingofSprings posted:

Could you talk us through it? Persecution is a card I've thought of playing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Could you talk us through it? Persecution is a card I've thought of playing.

Maverick player has two Mother of Runes out, one with SoFaI on it, the other with summoning sickness against three Nimble Mongoose at 4 life. Maverick fetches, goes down to 3 putting in lethal range (leaving the RUG player scratching his head). RUG weighs his options and swings in. Cue a block from each Mother, and Persecution comes down, resulting in the summoning sick mother trading, the active one tapping to kill the mongoose, and the Maverick player taking 2.

Net result 2 creatures down, 2 life lost and control of the board established.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

"Plow his mother to go up to 1" might be the most unfortunate phrase I've heard all day.

Come on, "I Plow your Mom" is a joke as old as Urza's Legacy!

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So looking over some possible JOU deck lists and one thing that keeps popping up is the Bearer of the Heavens Devotion Big Red type of list. It's a 10/10 for 8 with only 1 colored mana requirement. This thing could be castable in both a big red deck or even a green deck. No one wants to kill this thing in a deck that has some limited burn or 2 mana haste creatures. It can still be messed with in other ways but if they don't have those ways its getting chumped a bunch or it's winning in 1-2 turns. It's definitely a high risk vs reward type of card but 8 mana might not be too terribly hard to get to in some of your games.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Korak posted:

So looking over some possible JOU deck lists and one thing that keeps popping up is the Bearer of the Heavens Devotion Big Red type of list. It's a 10/10 for 8 with only 1 colored mana requirement. This thing could be castable in both a big red deck or even a green deck. No one wants to kill this thing in a deck that has some limited burn or 2 mana haste creatures. It can still be messed with in other ways but if they don't have those ways its getting chumped a bunch or it's winning in 1-2 turns. It's definitely a high risk vs reward type of card but 8 mana might not be too terribly hard to get to in some of your games.

It's a 10/10 that costs infinity and in the games where you'd theoretically live long enough to cast it, it's either going to get Thoughtseized out before you get to cast it, Detention Sphered immediately or just countered.

It's a cool creature for EDH, but unless you can cheat it out somehow it has zero practical applications.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Korak posted:

Not really, though.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
e: disregard this post i'm an idiot

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 21, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

a dozen swans posted:

Whip of Erebos actually triggers its death effect for just 2BB. that makes it into more of a combo deck, but it's much closer to fast enough.

700.4. The term dies means “is put into a graveyard from the battlefield.”

Whip exiles

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

a dozen swans posted:

Whip of Erebos actually triggers its death effect for just 2BB. that makes it into more of a combo deck, but it's much closer to fast enough.

Does it? I thought the replacement effect to exile the card prevents it from dying.

e;fb

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Chapin and Sullivan are my favorite commentary team, true name nemesis chat, burning tree into burning tree into burning tree while your opponent has a hand of Bile Blight and a bunch of mutavaults with only a swamp in play... Just ridiculous.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Korak posted:

This post is adorable.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
The latest Making Magic seems a little confused, Maro is talking about Eidolon of the Great Revel 'rewarding' you for playing cheap spells. Either there's some interaction there I'm missing or he hasn't actually read the card?

Edit: And also he thinks Godsend is an enchantment.

ThirdEmperor fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 21, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ThirdEmperor posted:

The latest Making Magic seems a little confused, Maro is talking about Eidolon of the Great Revel 'rewarding' you for playing cheap spells. Either there's some interaction there I'm missing or he hasn't actually read the card?

He also thinks the closest precedent for Aegis of the Gods giving players hexproof is Ivory Mask.

I guess the explanation could be that he's recounting a really old conversation but surely Theros block wasn't in development before M11?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Something I found really cool about the pre-release: appearently you, by accomplishing various tasks, can get one of several ability stickers to paste on the artifact you get as one of the pre-release cards. When they were spoiled, I thought they had just edited out some sort of ability they wanted to keep secret, but no, you customize it. That's really neat to me.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ThirdEmperor posted:

Mirror Universe in M15 confirmed.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Drew Levin had a sweet legacy pod brew with Orcish Lumberjacks a couple weeks ago. Caleb has written some good stuff about possible pod lists for legacy and I always like seeing people give it a try.

I think there was something like that for Vintage as well, and it was really interesting - Ruric Thar on turn 2 can be really cool.

Also Nic Fit is best :colbert:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

ThirdEmperor posted:

He probably hasn't actually looked at these cards since he sent the set off for development 2 years ago and none of the cards had the same text as they do now.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ThirdEmperor posted:

Maro is talking about Eidolon of the Great Revel 'rewarding' you for playing cheap spells.

I'm not even seeing that one on it; did he remove it entirely?

quote:

quote:

So it was decided that Elspeth needed a weapon, and a very potent one at that. The weapon came from Heliod, so it had to be white. It needed to seem powerful, so we gave it a big power/toughness boost. It had to be capable of killing a God, so we gave it an ability that exiled any creature blocking or blocked by the equipped creature. Finally, as the card was already exiling creatures, we added one more ability to make sure things killed by the Godsend stayed dead. Hopefully, some of you will know the true rush of wielding Godsend.

Either he edited that section as well or you're confusing "it had to be white" with "its an enchantment"

JerryLee posted:

He also thinks the closest precedent for Aegis of the Gods giving players hexproof is Ivory Mask.

He said precedent, not closest precedent. Ivory Mask is a really old card, which is kind of the point of a 'precedent'!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zorak posted:

He said precedent, not closest precedent. Ivory Mask is a really old card, which is kind of the point of a 'precedent'!

Fair point, he didn't say closest precedent, it's just kinda weird that he went 'oh yeah, we've done shroud on players and hexproof is basically the same thing' rather than 'oh yeah, we've done hexproof before.'

Is it massively important in either case? No, I was just adding to the discussion.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Zorak posted:

I'm not even seeing that one on it; did he remove it entirely?

Either he edited that section as well or you're confusing "it had to be white" with "its an enchantment"

Yeah, the article's definitely been edited to remove the Eidolon and the reference to Godsend being an enchantment. (Though that makes me wonder if they'd ever print an Enchantment Artifact - Aura Equipment. Probably not.)

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Want to see one of the most cringe worthy MTG videos ever? Well, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY8nZR7Zj6I

Guy opens a beta starter deck worth $5000 and gets no rare from it. It was painful to watch. :(

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I think one of the design guys, maybe Maro himself, said Godsend wasn't an enchantment because the type line would be too long. Also if you make something an aura *and* an equipment, there's gonna be some ugly rules things to clear up.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

vOv posted:

Yeah, the article's definitely been edited to remove the Eidolon and the reference to Godsend being an enchantment. (Though that makes me wonder if they'd ever print an Enchantment Artifact - Aura Equipment. Probably not.)

Under the current rules, an Equipment Aura would still be put into the graveyard as soon as it was no longer attached to anything, effectively making the "Equipment" part pointless. Fixing that is really complicated, and it's likely that you're better off not using both subtypes and instead using a (potentially keyworded) ability on the card to achieve the effect you want.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

vOv posted:

Pretty quick coverup there. And they might someday print an Enchantment Artifact - Equipment, but there plain isn't room for a Legendary one.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
This post is probably going to sound like a little bit of a brag, but I wanted to mention some of what I've been doing recently.

For the last few months at my local store, I've been doing things to improve the experiences of kids playing magic on Friday nights.

I started with putting together what I call 'new player packs', which is a 3x5 ziplock bag stuffed full to bursting with commons and uncommons (nothing expensive, just extras from my collection when I have more than 6 or 7 of them), which I pass out to players either new to the game, or 15 and under. Obsoletely Fabulous got a few of them in a package recently, just for fun.

Sometimes, I'll throw a few bucks to the store owner, and have him pass out a couple extra dollar repacks to the kids, especially when the top 8 is filled with people who've got top tier decks at the store.

Once in a while, if a new player is playing without a deckbox, and just has his deck shoved in his pocket, I'll give the store owner the money for one, and have him send the kid over to pick it out off the wall(never more than three bucks)

Also, if a kid's struggling with shuffling his deck, I'll buy him a pack of penny sleeves.

None of this stuff adds up to much, of course, usually averaging 4 to 8 bucks each time I go.

If I'm playing against a new player, I introduce myself, smile, shake hands, and when we're playing, I compliment them on good plays they make, and make sure I explain what each card I'm playing does. I always make sure to shake hands post-round. After our round is over, I ask if he wants to switch decks and play again, for fun, and to see if I can help him figure out new lines of play, as well as to let them not have to sit around bored for 20 - 35 minutes.

Two or three weeks ago, a kid came in with a deck he'd thrown together that was basically 5 packs with extra basics, half of them non-standard-format. The store owner mentioned that to me, and I looked at the cards I've got, and realized I could put together decks for four colors that had won or placed in recent tournaments. I dug out the cards, and put them together, sans mutavaults, as I only have one playset, and substituting similar cost cards if there's some multi-colored cards that are in more than one of the decks, and I only have enough for one deck. I've told the store owner what I've done, so he can send the kids and their parents over to ask for a deck, and I loan them out, so the kids can have a bit more fun than they would otherwise. This has been a pretty big hit, and we've started getting more kids coming in to play.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

kizudarake posted:

If I'm playing against a new player, I introduce myself, smile, shake hands, and when we're playing, I compliment them on good plays they make, and make sure I explain what each card I'm playing does. I always make sure to shake hands post-round. After our round is over, I ask if he wants to switch decks and play again, for fun, and to see if I can help him figure out new lines of play, as well as to let them not have to sit around bored for 20 - 35 minutes.

I also do this when I play at FNM's and I agree that it is the best thing. It's definitely something that everybody should do!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Oh, it's also fun to piss off trade sharks when they're trying to convince a 13 year old that a Champion of Stray Souls and a Duel deck Vraska is a good trade for the Mutavault the 13 year old just pulled from his entry pack. The kid told his mom what I did after he went to her car, and she came in and thanked me for that.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Did someone post the guy eating his Marsh Flats yet? He said if a specific card wasn't in the next set he would eat a Misty, but he already sold it and reddit allowed him to eat a Marsh Flats instead.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Samael posted:

Want to see one of the most cringe worthy MTG videos ever? Well, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY8nZR7Zj6I

Guy opens a beta starter deck worth $5000 and gets no rare from it. It was painful to watch. :(

Is there even a way for that to be worth $5000, outside of something absolutely insane like opening multiple pieces of power? Seems like it would be a really bad price 99.9% of the time, and not even that big of a profit in the extremely slim chance that you do hit the jackpot.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there even a way for that to be worth $5000, outside of something absolutely insane like opening multiple pieces of power? Seems like it would be a really bad price 99.9% of the time, and not even that big of a profit in the extremely slim chance that you do hit the jackpot.

It's "worth" $5000, as in that's an estimate of what a collector would pay for the sealed product. Since someone looking to add it to their collection is never going to open it anyway, the value of an unopened starter deck is much higher than the expected value of the cards it contains.

There's a video on YouTube of a guy cracking a sealed Unlimited booster and opening a Mox Ruby - and when you do the math, he still lost money opening it. (On the other hand, the mox is probably way easier to find a buyer for). I would imagine that a beta starter is similar in that you're always going to lose value by opening it, the question is how much.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Jabor posted:

It's "worth" $5000, as in that's an estimate of what a collector would pay for the sealed product. Since someone looking to add it to their collection is never going to open it anyway, the value of an unopened starter deck is much higher than the expected value of the cards it contains.

There's a video on YouTube of a guy cracking a sealed Unlimited booster and opening a Mox Ruby - and when you do the math, he still lost money opening it. (On the other hand, the mox is probably way easier to find a buyer for). I would imagine that a beta starter is similar in that you're always going to lose value by opening it, the question is how much.

I get that, I guess I'm asking why the unsealed product would be valued that highly when the contents have like virtually no chance of reaching that mark. I mean the deck that guy opened could sell for what, $150? $5000 seems like an absolutely outrageous premium to pay just for the sake of it being "sealed" when it sounds like the average deck is going to skew way more towards "worth almost nothing". If people are willing to pay it, I guess that's what determines fair price in the end, though.

Though I'm curious how easy it would be to fake sealed product like that. I can't imagine a basic shrink-wrapping machine is too expensive, especially if you can spend like a hundred bucks, re-pack it, and sell it for five grand.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Though I'm curious how easy it would be to fake sealed product like that.
Likely much easier for the older sealed product like that. More modern boosters packs have special packaging and plastic and what have you that would make it much more expensive to counterfeit.

In fact, the processes Wizards uses to create and package their products are actually all very costly, and only profitable when done on a very massive scale. They also turn out a very visually pleasing product, packaging wise (except for Dragon's Maze orange) and that kind of quality helps to both sell product and deter knock-offs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Older sets just had regular shrinkwrapping (rather than the WOTC branded stuff they use now) and up until Ice Age (I think it was there) they didn't have the shiny inner surfacing on the booster packs. So you could push up the back card (the rare) and shine a bright light at the pack and you could see through it.

That is why you generally don't buy old packs to open them. Also, beta starters had the possibility of containing Alpha rares. I don't quite know if that is good or bad. I suppose Alphas are more valuable now.

• Locked thread