Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Started playing the demo of March of the Eagles, assigned Prussia and immediately began kicking the poo poo out of Denmark for Baltic ports. Three big questions: First, how does supply work? Not the traditional supply limit/attrition mechanics, but I seem to have supply brigades and once got a significant 'out of supply' penalty. Do I need supply routes? Secondly, are sieges decided the same way as in EU? The screen is very opaque. Thirdly, does controlling non-city provinces matter at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a nice article on the Paradox front-page about the Darkest Hour developers facilitating a wargaming exercise at the US Marine Corps War College. That it's broken down into slides also makes it one of best and most concise AARs in the Paradox forums ever :v:

On a separate note, I feel pretty good about Paradox making the big leagues as far as Diablo 3 having references to Crusader Kings and Hearts of Iron.

Ok, in the AAR this was pretty cool

quote:

Interestingly, the Soviet team became emotionally
invested in the Allies opening a Second Front. There was great consternation by the Soviet
players at the delay in an Allied landing in Italy or France. They were desperate to draw
German forces away from the Eastern Front. The Soviet players even grew suspicious of
US/UK intentions, setting the seeds for a potential Cold War.

Edit: Wait, ahahahaha

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?770718-2014-dh-mcwar-wwii-aar/page4

quote:

The guy who played Roosevelt was LtGen Van Riper

Van Riper for those who don't know, is the "instantly teleporting bike messengers" and "fishing boats armed with cruise missiles" guy from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 21, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nckdictator posted:

Van Riper for those who don't know, is the "instantly teleporting bike messengers" and "fishing boats armed with cruise missiles" guy from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002

So did he resort to infantry spam and cruizerg fleets for this exercise? :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nckdictator posted:

quote:

Wow, this is ridiculous. Joint Forces Command is extremely short-sighted, the whole notion of infallibility is simply bizarre. Thumbs up for Mr Van Riper for showing some creativity and initiative.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nckdictator posted:

Ok, in the AAR this was pretty cool

That Soviet team getting pissed at the US/UK team was amusing.

It's rather amusing watching how people replay WWII in teams like that given we have hindsight of how it played out. The first moments of the game were extricating from real life botched strategy, some of which worked and others didn't. Given time I think the Axis team may have been able to pull off a win. Germany was doing stellar in the Eastern Front and Japan was doing some rather audacious moves into India and Siberia.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I think the Allies diversion at Rotterdam was pretty good, kinda surprised the German player fell for it though. The Axis attempt to withdraw from Africa ASAP was a good choice but then again the entire Italian Navy was sunk... I wonder if the German player could have divverted air units from the Eastern Front or from Germany itself to try to cover the evacuation and if that would have made any difference. Not sure how many units they lost in Africa but those would certainly have helped hold Italy up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In the long run the Axis were doomed there, just like in real life. The Axis players' familiarity with DH and unified command (i.e. they were played by one experienced DH player rather than a team of inexperienced players) gave them the chance for an extra offensive campaign, which they really seized on, but by the end of the LP they were being pushed back on pretty much every front.Japan in Siberia might seem audacious until you realize it's tying up tons of their ground forces to take worthless enormous provinces when those forces could have been used in India or defending the Philippines (it's noted in the endgame AAR that the Allies' next plan was invading Taiwan, which with the Japanese fleet incapacitated would be pretty devastating). As for Germany, by the end they were being pushed back slowly by the Soviets and that was before they would have to transfer significant forces to fight in France and Italy.

Still though, that was really cool and it's a shame they didn't have the time to actually go through to the end, or at least to a more decisive point. I wonder if the DH guys will be able to set up any more wargames like that.

Also, I never knew the USMC had a dedicated wargaming laboratory designed to just run computer games like that.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
That was a great event, I'm really surprised at the ingenuity of the US/UK doing a feint for the liberation of France.

Had Japan not been constrained by fuel and able to finish off India I wonder how it would've changed operations. Japan I think did extremely well in the scenario versus how they did in real life.

I agree that the whole set-up is really fascinating. Shame they weren't able to play to a decision. I'd be really curious if the USMC does anything with Paradox in the future. Anyone know what USMC thought of the whole thing?

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 21, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

YF-23 posted:

If Code Geass is an AAR then a WizLP is Legend of Galactic Heroes. :colbert:

Of course that doesn't mean we'll miss on fabulous capes...

No complaints here; LoGH is rad.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

axeil posted:

That was a great event, I'm really surprised at the ingenuity of the US/UK doing a feint for the liberation of France.

It worked, but I'd have hated to be one of the guys landing in Rotterdam. The only thing worse than doing Omaha Beach is doing Omaha Beach with no objective for you beyond "Lose convincingly."

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Hearts of Iron 2 is on Steam weekly sale and I've never played the series before. I'm new to grand strategy games, but I hear HoI3 is disappointing. Would I be better off starting with HoI2 or HoI3?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Makeout Patrol posted:

Hearts of Iron 2 is on Steam weekly sale and I've never played the series before. I'm new to grand strategy games, but I hear HoI3 is disappointing. Would I be better off starting with HoI2 or HoI3?

I'm one of the only HoI3 fans in the thread, but even I think that HoI2 or even Darkest Hour would be better if you can get past their dated UIs. Vanilla HoI3 is terrible, but with Semper Fi and For the Motherland it becomes a fun, if overambitious and a micromanagers nightmare kind of game. Be warned that the series doesn't have a learning curve, it's more like a learning cliff with a poo poo tutorial that tells you the very basics of the game.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I'll second the recommendation for Darkest Hour over either HoI2 or HoI3. It's basically HoI2++.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

There's honestly no point in getting HoI2 today. Get AoD or DH. I prefer DH myself.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Darkest Hour is the current go-to favorite for the Hearts of Iron franchise, and is worth the :10bux: for the Kaiserreich mod alone.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tomn posted:

It worked, but I'd have hated to be one of the guys landing in Rotterdam. The only thing worse than doing Omaha Beach is doing Omaha Beach with no objective for you beyond "Lose convincingly."

Yeah, I don't know how you sell that one to the troops. Or the public.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

You don't tell them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Autonomous Monster posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieppe_Raid

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Drone posted:

Darkest Hour is the current go-to favorite for the Hearts of Iron franchise, and is worth the :10bux: for the Kaiserreich mod alone.

If Kaiserreich didn't exist, I'd say they're both good, it just depends on how much you've gotten used to how recent Paradox games look and feel, but Kaiserreich basically makes it hard to suggest anything over DH + KR unless HoI4 gets its own KR mod.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I know this thread is about Paradox games, but can anyone recommend similar high quality games by other publishers?

It's starting to feel like all I play these days is Paradox games, Eve and Hearthstone.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Rapner posted:

I know this thread is about Paradox games, but can anyone recommend similar high quality games by other publishers?

It's starting to feel like all I play these days is Paradox games, Eve and Hearthstone.

Is a game being turn based or 2D a problem? If not, the grog games thread may be for you.

My personal recommendations for Paradox people: Hannibal: Rome & Carthage, Decisive Campaigns: WtP, and Commander: The Great War.

Frankly, Paradox are the only game in town when it comes to high quality, semi-historical 3D RTS games.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Grognard games thread is just what I'm after, thanks!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Alikchi posted:

Is a game being turn based or 2D a problem? If not, the grog games thread may be for you.

My personal recommendations for Paradox people: Hannibal: Rome & Carthage, Decisive Campaigns: WtP, and Commander: The Great War.

Frankly, Paradox are the only game in town when it comes to high quality, semi-historical 3D RTS games.

Oh Combat Mission is very good, you should try that out if you like the look, Rapner. Here are some other strategy games I like not mentioned by Alikchi:

The Operational Art of War series
(Turn based, lots of scenarios in different wars, hex map)
Similar to War in the East (same publisher) as far as I remember but less overwhelming

Dominions 4 (its on Steam)
(Turn based, fantasy godgame with some RPG elements)
Has an active goon multiplayer community

Seven Kingdoms 1 or 2 (3 is bad)
(Real time strategy, fantasy)
For some reason this model of RTS lost out to Age of Empire clones, which is a shame, it has much better detail, scale and complexity

King Arthur: the Roleplaying Wargame
The King's Crusade
(Turn based strategy/real time tactics, lots of RPG elements, similar to the Total War series)
Published by Paradox but developed by someone else. The King's Crusade strips out the fantasy elements of King Arthur

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Rapner posted:

Seconding Dominions 4 as a good, if complex game. It's more Civ style with clear early/mid/end-game play, though.

If you're going to get into grog games, take a look at Distant Worlds. It's sold on Matrix games for a ridiculous sum of money, but it is the best space 4x since MOO2. It has the most advanced automation system I've ever seen--focus only on the parts of the game that you like and the AI will handle the rest with no problems. Example: if I just want to find which planets to colonize next or focus on building more resource mining stations, the AI can handle building a military fleet for me, suggest new ship building projects, and even suggest military targets for my new fleets to attack. It's really loving smooth.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
If you thought Aztecs in CK2 generated tears, you should try changing anything to do with HoI:

Darkrenown posted:

I'd describe myself as a pretty big fan of the HoI series (and bear in mind I did not work here until a while after Semper Fi was released, so it's not a "because I worked on them" thing), but re-arranging the leaders of the German army every game quickly went from a cool detail to a chore to something that made me want to kill myself half way through it. Use auto-assign? It wouldn't make the same choices I would make, it would not be optimal, I have to do it manually! I don't think I am alone in that. While we could spend time making much better auto-assign AI with the end-goal of letting players ignore a feature (except even a super good AI would not know your thoughts and you would likely have to tweak it anyway), that seems like a waste of resources. Features that are not fun should be made fun or removed, not shuffled off to be automated. Now I'm sure for some, assigning leaders was a task that was enjoyed every time, and I am sorry those people are losing a feature they liked, but we need to make what we think is a fun game.

Angry guy posted:

I have a better idea. How about you be replaced?

Simple truth: You cannot get rid of Major Generals because they were the lowest rank that could command a divisional sized unit.
Simple truth: Divisional sized battles occurred in real life all the time. See: North Africa. See: Amphibious assaults.

Also: WTF makes you think we want your definition of "fun"?

I regret to inform you this isn't Call of Duty. There is a certain type of person who likes these kinds of games and there are people who don't. The people who play this game are the same kinds who enjoy the depth of high-level chess. We are fine with depth and complexity.

There is a huge difference between an annoying feature, and an annoying implementation of that feature. What you are paid to do is solve is a user interface issue. Not to cut out content. Go work at Activision if you want to cut out content. Go work at Blizzard if you want to cut any content from previous successful renditions whatsoever. Seriously you belong at companies like those with your mentality.

I buy a Paradox game for complexity, not for a game I cannot even stand to play. I enjoy complex gameplay and mechanics, if I want simplicity there are plenty of other companies that do that. I could go play the Star Trek Armada 3 mod for Sins of a Solar Empire. Its much more "simple" and yet is still able to bring depth.

The issue really is that you have no understanding of what "fun" is for too many of your customers. Get out. I don't want you designing games from my favorite franchises and your mentality makes it obvious you belong in other genres and with other companies. Perhaps you should go play for the makers of WarGame? Same country I think. Also I think DICE would be perfect for someone of your preferences. I hear they are making a new StarWars BattleFront. Shooters is where you belong.

And if you are going to make "simple" game play then don't bank it off the success of a franchise. Hearts of Iron will sell many copies just because its Hearts of Iron. If you take your design ideas and try to start a brand new franchise (maybe in the Roman Era?) using the gameplay format from EU/HoI/CK there is a very high chance that it won't be popular. Your gameplay sells because of the work of others not your own talent. Dustin Browder at Blizzard is experiencing the same effect.

If you are actually so good as to know better than this many complaining customers then you would be able to at least match HoI2 sales on a brand new franchise using the same engine and basic gameplay format. I think you should be pulled from HoI4 and paradox gives you the opportunity to try. Then we can find out for certain whether your "ideas" and "concepts" are actually any good.

I've seen EU4 ruined for me, a very long time Paradox customer, by your exact mentality (and probably by you personally from the sounds of it) and I don't want my second favorite franchise of all time ruined by the same mentality.

Please stay away.

Shooters is where I belong :(

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Darkrenown posted:

If you thought Aztecs in CK2 generated tears, you should try changing anything to do with HoI:

loving casual Hearts of Iron shooters :argh:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Is it true Darkrenown?

Did you personally ruin EU4?

e: you should ask him if the level of betrayal he feels right now has torn something from him that he'll never be able to recover.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As if "go back to WarGame European Escalation" was an insult. Obviously a game that's already on its 3rd incarnation (4th if you count RUSE) is a horrible failure.

EDIT: Announcing Hearts of Iron V as a first-person shooter where you play a Major General that sits behind a desk all the time would have been a great April Fools.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Release an "extra micro-management" dlc: when it's on it adds tons of totally ridiculous micro management options to the division level but in the end the many many options the player NEED to actually setup don't do anything except that for the fact a division will just turn to poo poo in term of fighting ability if the players don't spend 20 seconds just setting up all the options. Add ridiculous stuff to choose like "unit mascot", "division chaplain". You didn't choose between 20 types of animals as a mascot for the division? Massive morale loss!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Paradox is getting better at making more concise game designs with less cruft.

Everything is ruined.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

I love how he talks like a representative for all Grand Strategy players.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON GENERALS! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

But seriously, I'm fine with raising the focus for campaigns but I hope there's a way to use whatever leader assignment system you come up with to handle lower ranks for battle scenarios.

On a side note, the Darkest Hour players and modders who are angry about this apparently missed the part in the last patch where the command limits for Major Generals and Lieutenant Generals were upped from 1 to 3 and 3 to 6 to deal with the very problem removing the system is trying to deal with. The old Hearts of Iron system has its drawbacks.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Darkrenown posted:

At least you have your work cut out for you for next HOI4 dev diary. Grab a bunch of devs, record a session of CoD multiplayer (the first one of course) and release it as a video of HOI4 gameplay.

EDIT: Add lens flare as needed.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

gradenko_2000 posted:

EDIT: Announcing Hearts of Iron V as a first-person shooter where you play a Major General that sits behind a desk all the time would have been a great April Fools.

Clausewitz as you've never seen it before!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Disco Infiva posted:

At least you have your work cut out for you for next HOI4 dev diary. Grab a bunch of devs, record a session of CoD multiplayer (the first one of course) and release it as a video of HOI4 gameplay.

EDIT: Add lens flare as needed.

Don't tempt me. I could be angrily exclaiming that it is too micro-intensive to reload and that we need to cut bullets...

YF-23 posted:

Clausewitz as you've never seen it before!

Podcat and I actually briefly designed "Horses of Iron" a few weeks ago, a game where you manage the supply of German army horses and the war develops based on how well supplied you keep the units on each front. I think it has potential.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkrenown posted:

Podcat and I actually briefly designed "Horses of Iron" a few weeks ago, a game where you manage the supply of German army horses and the war develops based on how well supplied you keep the units on each front. I think it has potential.

Don't toy with my feelings, Darkrenown! I've often wondered what it would be like to have a game where you're an industrialist/armaments minister in charge of industry, infrastructure and logistics and the war simply progresses as lines on a map relying on your ability to stamp out tanks and artillery as fast as possible and rail cart them to the front

Something like a more fleshed out and playable Stalin's Dilemma

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I wonder what features ruined EU4 for him. Maybe it was the removal of the fantastic EU3 trade system, wherein you found the most profitable CoT and clicked a bar until it turned green? Or perhaps the loss of the horde system, lauded for bringing a historical use for colonists to landlocked, eastern-European countries. Or maybe he pines for the days where you had to manually calculate your yearly income and compare that to your yearly loss in order to figure out whether you were going to go bankrupt before the year's end. Darkrenown, when you removed these critical features, you must have known that you were gutting the very heart of Europa Universalis.

(interesting note: Eugen Systems, which makes Wargame, is actually based in Paris. [EU4 Swedish Paris joke] I do find it interesting that for a guy so obsessed with detail and minutiae, he couldn't be bothered to check to make sure France isn't the same country as Sweden).

e: some of the posts in that thread are pretty :psyduck:. There are people who didn't like assigning division leaders, but who still want division leaders in the game, just with a vastly improved automated assignment and promotion AI. If you're not going to meaningfully interact with division leaders in any way, why demand a complex sorting algorithm to automate them? Why not just get rid of them?

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 22, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

BBJoey posted:

e: some of the posts in that thread are pretty :psyduck:. There are people who didn't like assigning division leaders, but who still want division leaders in the game, just with a vastly improved automated assignment and promotion AI. If you're not going to meaningfully interact with division leaders in any way, why demand a complex sorting algorithm to automate them? Why not just get rid of them?

That was my initial reaction, actually. Remove divisional leaders? But they are important for ~my immersion~! then I remembered that the only time I spent a moment on them was when I clicked "autoassign" (and occasionally to assign Old Guard Generals to defensive units guarding France). I don't think I am the only one. If a large percentage of your playerbase only hits a single button in a system to turn it off, it can probably be discarded entirely (and the effects of assigning the right General rolled into the basic unit stats).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

BBJoey posted:

I'm going to go ahead and guess it's a sentiment similar to that towards healing items in JRPGs where you store a dozen elixirs that you never use because they are rare but you keep "in case you might need them". You may not want to bother assigning divisional commanders, but what if you need to to minmax your way to a victory? Otherwise, maybe they want them for flavour, or because they care about assigning a handful of figures and forgetting about the rest, maybe.

Darkrenown posted:

Actually implementing supply management would be rad. Just make sure to add a horse feeding minigame for good measure. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I think I am a lost cause because I think that a Papers Please-esque late-war military logistics/procurement sim would be amazing. Every morning you receive a report on what factories were destroyed in the latest raid and what there are shortages of. You need to somehow find enough old military surplus weapons to equip the growing volkssturm while at the same time trying to keep the regular forces of the Wehrmacht in something approaching good supply. Every now and then a member of the Nazi brass will wander in and demand funding and material support for his latest wunderwaffe that's totally going to turn the war around. At the same time you have to decide what to do as the Soviets close in on Berlin; will you attempt to escape with your family to British or American forces, or hold firm in the belief that things will turn around? If you choose to escape, when? Too early and the Germans will be too organised to slip past; too late and you may find yourself leaving Berlin to run straight into a Soviet soldier. Do you attempt to leak documents to the Allies in an attempt to curry favour and speed their advance through Germany, or are you too afraid that you'll be discovered?

• Locked thread