Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I didn't really pay attention to the FS1 prelims and skipped the fight pass ones, but what fight exactly were they harping on all night in regards to the lovely judging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Ariza posted:

I didn't really pay attention to the FS1 prelims

Too Cool for good fights.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Jordan Mein's split decision was pretty atrocious.

Bell the Cat
Apr 5, 2004

Dirty pool old man. I like it.

Ariza posted:

I didn't really pay attention to the FS1 prelims and skipped the fight pass ones, but what fight exactly were they harping on all night in regards to the lovely judging?

The one that stood out the most to me was the judge that awarded Travis a round. Ridiculous.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bell the Cat posted:

The one that stood out the most to me was the judge that awarded Travis a round. Ridiculous.

And no 10-8s in that fight.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

quote:

Khabib Abdulmanapovich Nurmagomedov (Russian: Хабиб Абдулманапович Нурмагомедов; Avar: ХIабиб НурмухIаммадов; born September 20, 1988) is a Avar Dagestani-born Russian undefeated mixed martial artist, a multiple Combat Sambo World Champion, Junior Russian Bear Wrestling champion and a Judo black belt who is currently fighting in the lightweight division for the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I don't see how anyone thought he had a striking advantage over Werdum except for the very real chance of catching him with some flailing spaz strike, or how anyone thought that he would be very tough to take down.

It wasn't an unreasonable assumption because nobody had done it before, and I don't think Werdum's takedowns are even close to as touted as his overall game on the ground. As to the striking, Rogan and Goldie were talking on the commentary like they were totally stunned that Werdum was winning there, but I can't actually think of anybody who said that Browne was better at striking than Werdum--just that he was so weird and unorthodox that he might get a weird knockout, which is what he'd done in his previous three fights. Werdum was always going to be the more technical striker, but injuring Browne early made it a walkover for him. I said this before the fight but basically Browne's only asset is that he's pretty athletic for a heavyweight and moves around a lot and throws a lot of wild strikes, and the busted rib totally took that away. He looked terrible.

quote:

Also, how were they saying he'd never been taken down in the UFC when I remember Bigfoot taking him down twice?

Bigfoot attempted one takedown and probably would have completed it but Browne defended with maybe the greatest cage grab of all time--he actually reached up and over the fence to grab hold of it from the outside! Then later after his leg died, Bigfoot knocked him down with strikes rather than doing a wrestle. Browne really did have a perfect takedown defense record until last night, but it looks like that was more down to scheduling and chance than skill. I think in his career up to now he just hadn't fought anybody who would really pursue the takedown aggressively apart from Barnett and Gonzaga, and he knocked them out before they could complete a takedown.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

The bear wrestling champion is the best. Just give this guy a title fight and teach him Ivan Drago quotes.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
[quote="EvanSchenck" post="428570267"]
It wasn't an unreasonable assumption because nobody had done it before, and I don't think Werdum's takedowns are even close to as touted as his overall game on the ground.
[/quote

Werdum isn't particularly good at takedowns, but he still landed them pretty easily. I'm not really trying to say Browne is a bad fighter because he is coming off first round knockouts of three pretty good fighters, but with heavyweights especially, being good at winning fights isn't necessarily the same as being good at fighting overall.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Yuriy posted:

Meltzer had this to say about the disappointing ratings for Saturday's Fox card which had the worst/lowest ratings yet.

They're the fast nationals, which do not account for the overrun (which was significant and was most of the badass headliner) and include the West Coast ratings only for whatever was on at 8-10 PM on the West Coast, and not the show. The final numbers will be out on Monday or Tuesday and will be higher.

That being said, the fast nationals do not look good at all.

They really should have played up this being a #1 contender's match. I expect from now on the Fox cards will get (lesser) title matches almost exclusively. Jose Aldo would be a good dude to give the Fox rub to, ala Mighty Mouse.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I'm not really trying to say Browne is a bad fighter because he is coming off first round knockouts of three pretty good fighters, but with heavyweights especially, being good at winning fights isn't necessarily the same as being good at fighting overall.

Tyson's got a quote somewhere that knocking a guy out fast doesn't mean you're a good fighter, it means you beat the guy to the punch. I think I'm oversimplifying but I trust Iron Mike.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Romero's elbow was pretty great

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bean Fried posted:

They're the fast nationals, which do not account for the overrun (which was significant and was most of the badass headliner) and include the West Coast ratings only for whatever was on at 8-10 PM on the West Coast, and not the show. The final numbers will be out on Monday or Tuesday and will be higher.

That being said, the fast nationals do not look good at all.

They really should have played up this being a #1 contender's match. I expect from now on the Fox cards will get (lesser) title matches almost exclusively. Jose Aldo would be a good dude to give the Fox rub to, ala Mighty Mouse.

It remains to be seen if Fox is actually successful in making stars - iirc Bendo/Pettis didn't do very well at the box office and I remain skeptical that Mighty Mouse can become a PPV draw despite having great fights on Fox.

Aldo probably doesn't even get PPV points but has a baseline of like 250k buys, so I think they're okay with having him headline weaker events.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Aldo probably doesn't even get PPV points

What on earth makes you think this

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I always assumed that the only fighters making points were ones who actually drove PPV buys?

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I'm more surprised that over 2 million people were watching a rerun of Mike and Molly and I've never seen an episode or know what its about

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Novum posted:

Tyson's got a quote somewhere that knocking a guy out fast doesn't mean you're a good fighter, it means you beat the guy to the punch. I think I'm oversimplifying but I trust Iron Mike.

God knows Tyson knows more about boxing than I ever will, but its not like beating a man to the punch is devoid of skill. If you can anticipate his (or her) move, then you can beat them every time. Look at Machida. A guy like Rashad throws a punch, and Machida counters him twice before Rashad's punch even reaches him.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

I always assumed that the only fighters making points were ones who actually drove PPV buys?

That'd seriously gently caress up their incentive structure and make it relatively easy to be outbid by, say, Bellator.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It was a calculated counter program featuring Goldberg crashing the Vegas party scene while turnt up on pure mdma

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

It remains to be seen if Fox is actually successful in making stars - iirc Bendo/Pettis didn't do very well at the box office and I remain skeptical that Mighty Mouse can become a PPV draw despite having great fights on Fox.

Aldo probably doesn't even get PPV points but has a baseline of like 250k buys, so I think they're okay with having him headline weaker events.

It did terribly live but 270,000 was a little better than people expected after Evans/Hendo and Zombie/Aldo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Count Roland posted:

God knows Tyson knows more about boxing than I ever will, but its not like beating a man to the punch is devoid of skill. If you can anticipate his (or her) move, then you can beat them every time. Look at Machida. A guy like Rashad throws a punch, and Machida counters him twice before Rashad's punch even reaches him.

Yeah I'm currently trying to think of a recent knock out where the better fighter was on the receiving end of just getting "caught" so to speak. I can't really think of any.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Mighty Mouse has 'em.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Well I didn't know that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

Mighty Mouse has 'em.

I was under the impression he didn't when he was quoted as saying he didn't care about fighting on PPV and liked just being on Fox (or something to that effect.) It's cool that he could be making more money but is happy with his positioning.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BlindSite posted:

Yeah I'm currently trying to think of a recent knock out where the better fighter was on the receiving end of just getting "caught" so to speak. I can't really think of any.

That reminds me of a Jack Slack article, where he was talking about Condit vs Hardy:

Most fans and the press were saying Condit just hits harder, or Hardy had a weaker chin. Slack pointed out that Condit had consistently had the better footwork for the fight, and in this final blow Condit was more firmly planted than Hardy.

After re-reading that section, I remember its even cooler than that. Hardy wasn't properly planted on his lead leg because Condit had been oblique-kicking him the knee the whole fight, forcing Hardy onto his back leg.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/11/15/3648778/jack-slacks-cheat-sheet-carlos-condit-georges-st-pierre-ufc-154

Condit is great. Jack Slack is great. MMA is great.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bean Fried posted:

Jose Aldo would be a good dude to give the Fox rub to, ala Mighty Mouse.

I've always wondered if it's just a matter of contractual obligations with Aldo or just scheduling that he hasn't been on a FOX card yet.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Count Roland posted:

I wish I could find the interview again, but he said it more as a way to make the point that KOing someone really fast isn't a proper fight. A fight is a back and forth and that's where the test is. Considering the guy's career, like I said, I'll have to take his word on it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Novum posted:

I wish I could find the interview again, but he said it more as a way to make the point that KOing someone really fast isn't a proper fight. A fight is a back and forth and that's where the test is. Considering the guy's career, like I said, I'll have to take his word on it.

With Tyson it's entirely possible that he said one thing and meant another. My feeling would be that if a fighter gets KO'd in the first minute or two of a fight and its a flash KO it's not a great gauge as to who's really the better fighter.

One I can think of would be Dos Santos KOing Cain but then again Cain improved his head movement the second and third times around and Junior read his jab well and set it up with body bunches before hand.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was home for Easter and asked my mom to DVR the Fox show since I'd be getting in late last night. I guess my dad didn't feel like changing the channel and watched the main event.

He thought "The South American fighter" was really good but "the other guy" looked really bad and was questioning if all heavyweights were that bad. One fight in and he's already learning! He was bummed I deleted it from the DVR after watching it so I had to DVR the replay so he could watch the rest.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

Mighty Mouse has 'em.

Before the last FOX card Mighty Mouse did an interview where he says he makes more money fighting on FOX than he does with PPV. Either DJ's points are fewer than someone like Cain's or he's self-aware of his own drawing power. Either way, he owns and he has PPV points but chooses not to worry about them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

Before the last FOX card Mighty Mouse did an interview where he says he makes more money fighting on FOX than he does with PPV. Either DJ's points are fewer than someone like Cain's or he's self-aware of his own drawing power. Either way, he owns and he has PPV points but chooses not to worry about them.

Mighty Mouse fought on one PPV where he was semi main or higher and that is when he won the title. UFC usually re-negotiates after a title win rather than before so he's probably never fought on PPV under his current contract.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MassRafTer posted:

Mighty Mouse fought on one PPV where he was semi main or higher and that is when he won the title. UFC usually re-negotiates after a title win rather than before so he's probably never fought on PPV under his current contract.

DJ doesn't strike me as a dumb guy, I feel like he could probably do the math on this, unless he's not even vaguely familiar with the terms of his contract.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It was a calculated counter program featuring Goldberg crashing the Vegas party scene while turnt up on pure mdma

You have no idea how much I wouldn't pirate this show and buy everything on bluray and any merchandise it may inspire

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jack of Hearts posted:

DJ doesn't strike me as a dumb guy, I feel like he could probably do the math on this, unless he's not even vaguely familiar with the terms of his contract.

What I mean is if he says he's made more on TV than PPV that's unsurprising since he's fought on free TV as champion while he never has on PPV. UFC is also a company that has offered guys more money before to fight on free TV (JDS/Cain I as an example) so he could have free TV incentives too.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

MassRafTer posted:

I went and dug up the interviews, and while you're correct that DJ hasn't fought on PPV since he won the title, DJ doesn't beat around the bush about PPV points:

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson sees value of fighting on FOX rather than PPV

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: PPV points not all they're cracked up to be

In both interviews he says guys like GSP get paid millions of dollars for PPVs but he knows GSP built his way up to that stardom. He knows it's going to take time for him to get there, so he's fine taking more money now and with a few years of good performances his popularity might reach GSP's level. So he's probably been offered PPV spots but chose to headline shows that would reach a bigger audience.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

I went and dug up the interviews, and while you're correct that DJ hasn't fought on PPV since he won the title, DJ doesn't beat around the bush about PPV points:

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson sees value of fighting on FOX rather than PPV

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: PPV points not all they're cracked up to be

In both interviews he says guys like GSP get paid millions of dollars for PPVs but he knows GSP built his way up to that stardom. He knows it's going to take time for him to get there, so he's fine taking more money now and with a few years of good performances his popularity might reach GSP's level. So he's probably been offered PPV spots but chose to headline shows that would reach a bigger audience.

Mighty Mouse is a cool smart dude and I will keep picking against him in every one of his fights so he is always champion.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I was under the impression he didn't when he was quoted as saying he didn't care about fighting on PPV and liked just being on Fox (or something to that effect.) It's cool that he could be making more money but is happy with his positioning.

He specifically said that HIS ppvs wouldn't do enough buys for him to make more money than he does fighting on FOX. Dana and Lorenzo have already said that guys with ppv points who fight on free shows get compensated for the fact that they're on free shows.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

He specifically said that HIS ppvs wouldn't do enough buys for him to make more money than he does fighting on FOX. Dana and Lorenzo have already said that guys with ppv points who fight on free shows get compensated for the fact that they're on free shows.

That makes me wonder about Aldo & Barao, since they seem to have competent management and choose to fight on PPV even though their buyrates aren't going to get them tons of extra money. I'm guessing it's because their management is wise enough to know that Aldo & Barao becoming stars in North America is going to be an uphill battle, but they're important for UFC to draw in Brazil. So they might have some deal worked out with UFC where their PPV money is low but they get compensated for doing tens of millions on Globo TV in Brazil.
Maybe.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I bet they're pretty stoked to afford food and not live in a favela. Also wore sneakers with a suit one time. Jus sayin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
It's true Jose Aldo hasn't quite been Aldo since the Faber fight (except maybe Mendes and TKZ, both in Brazil), maybe he's really is the real people's champ and only fights cool on free tv.

• Locked thread