Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Kjermzs posted:

poo poo, just got my 5th blue OBW cover and the purple cover from the PVE event will be my 5th as well, what's the recommended spec and max level for her?

3/5/5 is generally the recommended build. I've been doing fine with 5 in purple and 3 in black, though; the purple takes longer to get going, but makes it easier to use multiple times in a fight, and all you're missing out on with lower black is extra damage when she matches, and I don't generally rely on her for damage anyway.

I've never had enough of her covers to actually make a choice with her, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

My first Lazy Cap, hooray! gently caress off Yelena.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Arschlochkind posted:

What are the best or worst usernames you've seen so far in MPQ?

Right now I'm a couple of spots behind "eat.me.peepee" in my Hotshot bracket. The name I usually use in games was already taken so I'm going by my backup "CoolDude69".

Nothing too bad. I did have a good laugh at an alliance called 'ISO horny' though

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Joshlemagne posted:

Serious question. How does somebody get a roster that looks like this:

'Cause that's just weird.

I sold all my 1-stars because the OP said 2-stars are the bread-and-butter heroes. Really regretting it since I'm not able to level them much at all. I did see the part where the OP said to level Iron man, but I thought I was being clever by skipping a step. I am not clever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeaah you hosed up buddy.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

Yeaah you hosed up buddy.

The punchline is I have like 10 1-star covers in my recruiting list that I'm delaying a decision on because I don't want to lose my precious 2/3 star guys and I can't afford to expand my roster. If I hadn't sold off all my starting heroes, I'd easily have a few 3/2/3-ish dudes by now. As it is, I could still correct my mistake by bringing in some of the 1-star guys, but I have to make a decision on which 2/3 stars to lose to make room. I'd welcome any advice on that front. You can all see my wall of shame, so if you see any obvious turds, let me know & I'll start rebuilding Ironman/Widow/Hawkeye 1-stars.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

fishtobaskets posted:

I sold all my 1-stars because the OP said 2-stars are the bread-and-butter heroes. Really regretting it since I'm not able to level them much at all. I did see the part where the OP said to level Iron man, but I thought I was being clever by skipping a step. I am not clever.

Well I figured you must be pretty new and were using Wolverine to carry you through the early fights. But you seem to have a lot of three star characters and I can't figure out how the heck you got them, unless you're really lucky with tokens. But yeah, you should probably sell your Bag Man and start trying to rebuild Iron Man or Storm because both are pretty solid at 1 star.

Edit: You posted while I was replying but definitely Bag Man. And try and focus on 2 star Wolverine and Storm as well because the prologue gives you a lot of covers for them.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 21, 2014

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Joshlemagne posted:

Well I figured you must be pretty new and were using Wolverine to carry you through the early fights. But you seem to have a lot of three star characters and I can't figure out how the heck you got them, unless you're really lucky with tokens. But yeah, you should probably sell your Bag Man and start trying to rebuild Iron Man or Storm because both are pretty solid at 1 star.

I chucked $10 at the game, and did get pretty lucky with my daily deals & basic covers.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

fishtobaskets posted:

I chucked $10 at the game, and did get pretty lucky with my daily deals & basic covers.
If you enjoy the game you might consider dropping a few more bucks and applying it only to roster slots so that you don't lose any 2/3 stars (even lovely Bag Man might get reworked some day). Eventually you will want more than 30 slots. Restocking your 1 star guys will be cake; they drop like candy in the prologue and from standard tokens.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Maybe we're due for a new thread with a tweaked/updated OP? I also sold off some 1-stars that I have since reclaimed, and am now collecting Juggs/Venom covers, which goes against the advice of the OP.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

fishtobaskets posted:

The punchline is I have like 10 1-star covers in my recruiting list that I'm delaying a decision on because I don't want to lose my precious 2/3 star guys and I can't afford to expand my roster. If I hadn't sold off all my starting heroes, I'd easily have a few 3/2/3-ish dudes by now. As it is, I could still correct my mistake by bringing in some of the 1-star guys, but I have to make a decision on which 2/3 stars to lose to make room. I'd welcome any advice on that front. You can all see my wall of shame, so if you see any obvious turds, let me know & I'll start rebuilding Ironman/Widow/Hawkeye 1-stars.

Bag-Man, drop Bag-Man, he's terrible. If you need more space, I'd consider either Wolverine. 4* is too rare to really get a full one, and regular Wolverine is okay, but you've got heavy hitters lined up anyway.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Bob Socko posted:

Maybe we're due for a new thread with a tweaked/updated OP? I also sold off some 1-stars that I have since reclaimed, and am now collecting Juggs/Venom covers, which goes against the advice of the OP.

I'm slowly working my way from a maxed 2-star team to 3-star MMR Hell and I still have Venom in my roster and bust him out more than you'd think, even if it's just in a relief role or for low-end stuff.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT
Wanting a cover I don't have and more ISO was good motivation. I've got 515 points in Hotshot. Right now I'm at #47 and I'm hoping most people are sleeping off ham dinners or something so I can stay at or above 50.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

DrowningHarvey posted:

If you are looking people solely for Hotshot, I'm still shielded at 881 and at the moment it seems that G.O.O.N. doesn't have enough active folks for the cover.

If you're around post your in game name

E: I'll open your spot for AgentsofGOON shortly.

Matryx don't flip out you already are full on punisher covers and I'll get you back in.

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 21, 2014

DrowningHarvey
Mar 24, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If you're around post your in game name

DrowningHarvey

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not having a LazyThor isn't hindering me that much; I'm still within Top 50 in the main event and manage to get at least Top 100 for each sub-event.

Also a LazyStorm would be so loving good. I would replace my Punisher in a heartbeat with her if she came out. Sure, battles would get a lot longer, but it's Storm, dammit.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hotshot token for 300 rank points, Human Torch, yes! Guess I found where all my PAD luck went this week. :v:

gently caress off, Hawkeye.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!

BGrifter posted:

This thread just got a whole lot more entertaining. :munch:

Seriously. Thank god I didn't drop money on HP to join an alliance here only to have some neckbeard boot me because he decided I wasn't "contributing enough" on a particular day.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Mr. Met posted:

Seriously. Thank god I didn't drop money on HP to join an alliance here only to have some neckbeard boot me because he decided I wasn't "contributing enough" on a particular day.

The rank of Commander is required to open a new slot. Commanders cannot be kicked out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, it's ground floor members that are on the line, bored/fed up goons notwithstanding.

That's why I work my rear end off... :patriot:
I need to stop forgetting to shield once I reach <25 though. I just lost my shot at a second punisher cover. :sigh:
I guess I can use a third C. Storm green.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 21, 2014

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Wow. This last hour of Hotshot I've run into a massive streak of poo poo enemy cascades. At the end of the match, I had spent all 5 heals and the following were dead: IM40, OBO, Thor, Storm Classic, 2* Wolfy, Dr. Doom, Hulk.

Only maxed Moonstone +Daken pulled me through the last two rounds.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I realize that shields are probably their #1 revenue source now but I'm getting pretty sick of the bullshit with them. Today I shielded at #5, dropped to #11 which sucked but I had a few 30+ point battles saved up. I unshielded at 15 minutes before the end, fought a battle to grab a 32 point win, and in the two minutes it took, I dropped over 200 loving points. :suicide:

Then I get a text from my friend who grinded to #9 in their bracket and in the time it took him to press the loving shield button he'd dropped 50+ points to #12 and his shield was wasted.

This game is such a horrible shitheap

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The 8 hour shield pays off the best if you can manage to make the most of it. People aren't really bum-rushing the tournament with 8 hours to go but they sure as hell do within 3 hours.

Matryx your spot is open once again if you want it.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
Well I've just woken up, so I'll be re-applying shortly once I've fed my animals. Same name as always!

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

Oh. Except it doesn't let you re-apply if you were booted out out something? Anyone know how long you have to wait to get back in again?

Here's what you see btw: http://imgur.com/7u4iup7, but you get no notification in game that you have been removed.

Presumably it is so when people get booted for things like offensive names or being a jerk, the alliance doesn't even have to acknowledge they exist.

matryx fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 21, 2014

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

The 8 hour shield pays off the best if you can manage to make the most of it. People aren't really bum-rushing the tournament with 8 hours to go but they sure as hell do within 3 hours.

This is totally my strategy. I join at around 1 day left, get up to about 500 points then shield at 8 hours left. Normally get some extra points from people losing to me and end up with a 3* cover pretty much each time. Never seem to get crabbed as that happens later, and grinding up the points is quicker as there are lots of people worth 35+ points per match. The hero points I earn from doing this pay for the shields pretty much.

Also, I don't get this talk about selling covers. Surely the goal of the game is to collect all of the covers? And even bag man would be useful if he was required for an event.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

matryx posted:

Oh. Except it doesn't let you re-apply if you were booted out out something? Anyone know how long you have to wait to get back in again

Supposedly it's an hour cooldown from being kicked. Maybe it's a client side check so it may have only started counting after you opened the game. I'd try again.

VVV: I've never hit 900 but I almost always get top 10. Join in at weird times to get a less competitive bracket.

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 21, 2014

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This whole "Grind to 900 to be in the top 10" is bullshit. I don't lose any matches, it's a matter of how much time I want to sink in at this point.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Supposedly it's an hour cooldown from being kicked. Maybe it's a client side check so it may have only started counting after you opened the game. I'd try again.

VVV: I've never hit 900 but I almost always get top 10. Join in at weird times to get a less competitive bracket.

Well I've been trying all day so far (>7 hrs) and I'm still getting the same message. Even had the whole application shut down and phone rebooted during this time too.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
It's probably done as a way to keep people from cheesing events by cycling in certain people during specific events to game the point system.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

GTO posted:

Also, I don't get this talk about selling covers. Surely the goal of the game is to collect all of the covers? And even bag man would be useful if he was required for an event.

If there was infinite slot space, sure. But unless you're spending a lot of money on HP, that's not going to be the case. I just had to sell my modern Storm for like the fourth time to make way for an unexpected Punisher cover. The fact that they keep adding new characters every few weeks doesn't help.

Are two star characters ever required for an event? I've only ever seen three or four star characters for the essential stages, and if something's required in pvp they'll give you a basic one so you can compete.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, my run of good luck yesterday also got me a Red Ragnarok. Sure, not very good, but I didn't have one yet so that's always a plus. Three 3-Star covers in a day though, I'm going to be getting Bag Men for weeks. :v:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

matryx posted:

Well I've been trying all day so far (>7 hrs) and I'm still getting the same message. Even had the whole application shut down and phone rebooted during this time too.

From what I read it could be anywhere from 1 hr to 1 day... or it could be bugged right now... If you can't get it to work by around 30 minutes to whatever time the tournaments end for UK people then I'll send in a ticket on your behalf.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Joshlemagne posted:

Are two star characters ever required for an event? I've only ever seen three or four star characters for the essential stages, and if something's required in pvp they'll give you a basic one so you can compete.

The Heroic difficulty events have always limited the roster to a small handful; usually the most recent new 3-star, maybe a couple others and/or one of the 4-stars, and a selection of 2- and 1-stars. Never "essential," though.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

What's the consensus regarding Punisher builds? I'm at 5/4/4 right now and am pretty happy. It's pretty easy to spam black, the strike tiles are decent (albeit chaotic), and the red hits hard for its cost and is nice against tanks. Am I really missing much by not going 5/5/3 instead?

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
So... 2 Psylocke covers today from an Assault Team token and a Standard token. Maybe the engine is trying to tell me something?

Also, I'm liking the increased participation in Wailing Fungus. We're getting that sweet daily ISO bonus and better rewards from the events, finally.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just went 3/5/5. Going from 4 to 5 in Green is a big difference, especially if you're Punisher is max level. It's an extra 100 damage each turn, and multiple uses of it stack up damage even faster. It also sorta mitigates the random block destruction on repeated uses a bit. I mainly use his black for team damage and not for the attack tiles, so the decreased countdown doesn't really seem that great to me. If Black at 5 had a 1 turn countdown I might have gone 5/5/3 bur as it is I'm happy with my current setup.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
With Punisher you have to pick a 5/5/3, 5/3/5, or a 3/5/5 since the biggest boosts to the abilities happen with that last point. Each spec has arguable advantages but I would argue 5/5/3 being the most useful out of them all as that difference between 30% health and 40% health really isn't all that much. (except for hulks and PvE situations I guess)

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I didn't like the randomness of green so I maxed black instead. Max red is his main necessity for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I have him at 3/5/5. He was 5/3/5 before Wolvie got funbalanced, but changed him when RNG was throwing a billion Punisher covers at me.

I don't use his green much, but it's useful if Patch is unavailable and Punisher is boosted.

Molotov I mostly use as a finisher with Patch strike tiles, so for me there's no real difference between 3 & 5 black covers.