Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ashekaban posted:

Its because he wants to ruin Oliver's life, and everyones around him.

Its been stated that Death is too easy a release for Ollie. He already Broke Thea, Roy, Laurel (Which seemingly backfired at the end of the episode) and His Company, leaving him and his family with seemingly nothing.

His world's coming down around him, which is what Slade wants to do to Ollie, as Shadow dying, took Slade's world(with the help of the Mirakuru). He knows he can take out his group, so why do it if Ollie isnt broken yet. If anything, that would give Ollie more fight in him (And in which Sarah dying might cause that extra fight in him)

He was there for two reasons; just general be a dick to Oliver, and get the key that he needs to get the stuff that he needs to build the army that he needs to take the city away from Oliver. That's the final stroke, take the cithy that Oliver spent a year trying to protect. WRT TO THAT SPOILER IMAGE SOMEONE POSTED EARLIERIt's gonna be big and flashy, and involve a loving supervillian army in in color coded uniforms, and Oliver is going to defeat them, in public. He'll become an actual hero, and that'll be the transformation, Season 1: The Hood, Season 2: The Arrow, Season 3: The Green Arrow. He'll finally be a proper superhero.

That's my guess, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexal
Oct 18, 2007

It is best to avoid the power of a ninja
I'm binging through Supernatural now and came across Katie Cassidy's Ruby. She's pretty good actually though this was like 7 years ago.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Like the normals have always said, she's a fine actress but she was just given a poor script to work with on Arrow for a while. Lotz, on the other hand...

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 19, 2014

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Mexal posted:

I'm binging through Supernatural now and came across Katie Cassidy's Ruby. She's pretty good actually though this was like 7 years ago.

I couldn't believe it's the same actress! I really liked her Ruby. Agreed that Laurel is a poor part- I don't know how anyone could make it work.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Drifter posted:

I'm sorry I didn't stabilize the eyepatch, but I was only kinda feeling it tonight and I didn't want to go searching for quality images, I didn't double check for placement until I had flattened half the images already.
:negative:

Shoebill = the real Deathstork.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

If you're gonna say his reading is wrong, don't you maybe think you should supply a better counter-argument than "nuh-uh, it means nothing"? "It's blue because it's blue" is a nonsense statement. Themes are going to exist even if you don't look for them, and even if the author didn't intend them because anything an artist makes is going to reflect their view of the world.

Don't get me wrong, it's fine to enjoy a show without analyzing the themes, etc. I usually do. You can let others analyze a show without losing your ability to watch it straight-forwardly.

You're misunderstanding a significant portion of what I wrote. And before I go further I need to say I really enjoy this show. It's a very fun experience.

I'm not saying his reading of thematic elements is wrong (it actually sounds fine to me), I'm saying it's most likely not a deliberate thematic creation for the sake of the show, but rather a byproduct of it being a common trope from the simplified plots of these types of superhero comics. What that means is the writers haven't equipped themselves to do more than superficially reflect those particular themes onto their product. If those themes are present it's for the same reason you get wet when it rains - because that's just what happens as a side effect. So it’s like, the theme is there to be identified, but it’s not meant to be in any large degree and isn’t being utilized, so why discuss it?

If it were deliberate you'd have much more communicative interplay between Ollie and Diggle, especially concerning Ollie's ability to trust and express himself. Diggle's so rarely used, as a teammate, as anything other than either a deus ex machina or window dressing and the only understanding he has with Ollie is that Ollie does what Ollie wants - that's less a soldier's understanding and more an employment decision for the greater good. Diggle's history in the military has no particular bearing on his interplay with Ollie aside from one or two one-offs. Certainly it's not a developing or significantly explored interaction.

Diggle isn't anything new to the comic world, - a rich person's bodyguard/butler having military experience - in this case he's an Afghanistan vet because it fits his age and job and anchor to the real world. The backstory connections available are also a perfect connective chain to things like Suicide Squad and notS.H.I.E.L.D. I'm sure that was an aspect to his creation they designed. It's the only way to incorporate those elements while keeping Ollie isolated from authorities not his own. I would say Diggle's initially was a GREAT teammate on the show, but after a while he stopped being used as a teammate and went to window dressing.

Ollie's not battle hardened from years of torture, he's battle hardened from years of working with gangsters and being trained by military soldiers and whatever else the writers will decide to have in season 3 flashbacks. Maybe S3 will change all this, but right now it doesn't. Ollie's the hero from Far Cry 3 and Star Wars, not the chick from Last House On The Left. He's not Oh from Oldboy or anything.

There are COUNTLESS examples of comics exactly about violence and militarism (is that the right word?), though. The Shadow, The Phantom, The Punisher, Moon Knight, Batman (as Wayne he's pretty nonviolent with his resolution of problems though), Zorro, whatever and practically everyone else. And they all have military helpers. Ollie's wanting to make the city better, not seeking revenge - even in Season 1 with that whole book thing. He's confused and trying to vindicate his dad by transferring the blame of his dad's actions onto everyone else in the book.

He's also not really making the city better though, in terms of removing the big picture people from his dad's secret book. He's making it half better. He'd be investing in the city and be shown to actually do more than the superficial stuff he's been written to do. We'd see shows tackling the police corruption and having him reopen his Queen Co Factory among other things.

Ravager didn't change because of war, nor did Merlyn as the Dark Archer. The Count didn't. The dimension hopping President from Idiocracy also probably didn't. Clock King didn't, neither did Dollmaker or whatever his name was. All those business people from the book didn't. Hell, Diggle didn't change beyond the normal because of war; he just didn't want to be a cop (and wanted to find his brother's killer - now they're besties though so it's cool).

Any theme of war and loss is going to exist as an accidental function of creating the next combat scene or explosion, not as a deep exploration of character development. Those themes somewhat exist as a result, but they weren't deliberately created. And because they aren't deliberate, they aren't being appropriately explored to the point where they're particularly relevant as a discussion piece. Anything having to do with Ollie and his inability to be social is just him clearly having his heart in the right place, but his social skills/brain alienating him from everyone (Felicity just has Stockholm Syndrome and poor self-esteem - which makes her a fan favorite). We see him grow as an action hero, but not as a person outside the mask.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

The dimension hopping President from Idiocracy

Terry Crews hasn't been on the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe he means Black Dynamite?

Going back a bit, I wonder how they did the stunt where Slade caught Sara.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Maybe he means Black Dynamite?

Going back a bit, I wonder how they did the stunt where Slade caught Sara.

Backwards would be my guess.

A lot of grab stunts are actually performed in reverse as a pull.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Backwards would be my guess.

A lot of grab stunts are actually performed in reverse as a pull.

No, you could see her momentum carrying the rest of her body forward after the catch. I'd guess it's probably a harness that stops her at the exact moment where it looks like Manu's catching her by the neck. She was probably wearing a neck guard, too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe next time he does a Q&A someone should ask Stephen.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The show has shifted its focus around this year, but the original version of Arrow wrote several explicit scenes drawing parallels between Diggle and Oliver's "war-time" experience.

What's intriguing about Arrow is that the show has married a standard "playboy becomes a man" story with a focus on the human cost he's incurred both on and off the island.

Depending on your angle, Oliver Queen's life is either a triumph or a tragedy - and the show largely offers evidence to both camps.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Andrew Kreisberg had a minor panic attack at the showrunner panel at WonderCon today because he started talking about the reveal that Isabel's character is evil and mid-sentence completely forgot if the episode had aired or not.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She's evil? get out!

She's the under 30, female CEO of a fortune 500 company. SPOILER ALERT

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rocksicles posted:

She's evil? get out!

She's the under 30, female CEO of a fortune 500 company. SPOILER ALERT

More notable: she was introduced trying to undertake a hostile takeover of Queen Consolidated. The big reveal is that she used her new power to finish what she started.

The Slade connection is new, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

Terry Crews hasn't been on the show.

I checked a wiki. I meant the Mayor. The black dude with all the guns running the big gang trying to kill Brother Blood that one time.

And, yeah, however they do it, it's good editing for the midair stunt grab and throws.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is Caity's stuntdouble:

I'm assuming she's the one that did the stunt.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
wouldn't kick her out of bed.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

zoux posted:

This is Caity's stuntdouble:

I'm assuming she's the one that did the stunt.

Thought you meant the guy on the left and instantly thought of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwV61t_Tec8

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

wouldn't kick her out of bed.

As a goon, it usually goes without saying that the odd of someone getting kicked out of bed is less than the even lower odds of being able to get someone into bed in the first place.

The not kicking someone out of bed kinda goes without saying.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not all goons are 300 pounds of social anxiety dude.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rocksicles posted:

That's right, I'm only 200 pounds (but I am 6' 1")

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We are a diverse peoples.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

I'm sure it averages.

divers alarums

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

devmd01 posted:

And hilarious, he trashed everyone that came at him without breaking a sweat. Deathstroke owns. :black101:

He really did just Identity Crisis Justice League them. I sort of half expected him to break Diggle's fingers. But yeah, there has to be a move sometime this season when he takes a sword swipe at Oliver and misses, only to slice the quivers off all his arrows.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Jack Skeleton posted:

He really did just Identity Crisis Justice League them. I sort of half expected him to break Diggle's fingers. But yeah, there has to be a move sometime this season when he takes a sword swipe at Oliver and misses, only to slice the quivers off all his arrows.

A quiver is the case the arrows are kept in, the part with the feathers is called the fletching :mil101:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Sat in on the separate Q&A Panels for Stephen Amell & Manu Bennett at the Vancouver Fan Expo this weekend and both actors were warmly received

nice points to note:

Manu Bennett apparently has a reputation for actually landing his punches during physical roles in Xena & Spartacus. As such, they don't let him do many stunts, much to his chagrin.

There is video footage - hopefully in forthcoming blooper reels - of Deathstroke BREAK-DANCING during the outtakes, off to the side of the scene. It was the first time he suited up in the updated outfit.

Manu contends that the role of Spartacus came down to 3 guys: the actor who got the role, a then up and coming name actor out of New York who got drunk in a pub, made an rear end of himself shouting he IS Spartacus and was put on a plane home the next day....and Stephen Amell.

Keep an eye on this channel for footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2X7h1FB_Hc&list=UUA1FBlsot-32y1YeGgzheAA

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Would have been a good replacement instead of Liam. Gannicus and Oliver would have been a great team.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Liam was great, Amell got Arrow. Pieces fell where they fell.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
My name is Spartacus Queen.
After three seasons in a hellish arena,
I have come home with only one goal:
gratuitous violence and nudity.
But to do so, I can't be the gladiator I once was.
To honor my predecessor's memory, I must be someone else.
I must be... something else.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Whizbang posted:

My name is Spartacus Queen.
After three seasons in a hellish arena,
I have come home with only one goal:
gratuitous violence and nudity.
But to do so, I can't be the gladiator I once was.
To honor my predecessor's memory, I must be someone else.
I must be... something else.

Think of the Ab Status if Amell went from Spartacus to Arrow :stare:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Goddamn would Spartacus have sucked with Amell in the lead. Arrow is the perfect show for him - especially now with Lotz at his side to make him look good - and while McIntyre is no Andy Whitfield, he can out-act a plank of wood so everything worked out fine.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Honestly, Liam was much better than Andy ever was, but to be fair, Andy didn't have much to work with the first season.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Oasx posted:

Honestly, Liam was much better than Andy ever was, but to be fair, Andy didn't have much to work with the first season.

Quite the opposite. Season one had less action and most of the scenes focused on dialog and interaction between characters which let Andy shine as he gave a great emotional and dramatic performance. Liam took over and the show shifted heavily to action and not character development since they were rebels on the run which is why most people felt his performance was wooden, but people argue he was better at fight choreography.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
they were both good, hands off dicks.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So it looks like they're going full steam ahead on the 'Ollie loses all his money, becomes left-wing radical' storyline. :stare:

Also the scene between Laurel and her dad was really good.

But the supporting dudes from the Flash show (I guess?) were kind of dorky.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WarLocke posted:

So it looks like they're going full steam ahead on the 'Ollie loses all his money, becomes left-wing radical' storyline. :stare:

Also the scene between Laurel and her dad was really good.

But the supporting dudes from the Flash show (I guess?) were kind of dorky.

If they do lose all their money and Ollie ends up living in a little apartment and living off whatever money he gets from Verdant, I hope it gets brought every time Thea shows up that it's her fault.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

If they do lose all their money and Ollie ends up living in a little apartment and living off whatever money he gets from Verdant, I hope it gets brought every time Thea shows up that it's her fault.

Well the chips land where they land, hands off the dicks. We don't care for speculation around here.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

seravid posted:

Goddamn would Spartacus have sucked with Amell in the lead. Arrow is the perfect show for him - especially now with Lotz at his side to make him look good - and while McIntyre is no Andy Whitfield, he can out-act a plank of wood so everything worked out fine.

Plank will remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Amell doesn't have the right voice for Spartacus (unless he uses that voice modulator the whole time). Both Liam and Andy had manly-as-gently caress voices. Liam especially.

• Locked thread