Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hey have you heard of this really cool masterwork add-on? its called "dwarf fortress" or something

Toady One posted:

Fixed up all the crashes and other discovered vampy brokenness and did what I wanted to do with vampire rulers and pretend gods. That leaves a few of the options on the info screen to complete before we get to the bug pile. Thanks to all the birthday well-wishers... that was reasonably intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Building drop traps implies your fortress defence isn't simply a corridor of Automatic Factories with their input squares set to 'accept all'.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Are cage traps more manly?

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Flesh Forge posted:

Are cage traps more manly?

I like the idea of drop traps. Enemies try to conquer fortress, fall (symbolic!), and fail. Dwarves go in to paint the walls with their blood. Pump some water in so blood all gets washed out evenly spread across the bottom of the pit. If you're feeling more hands-off, you can just put a few weapon traps at the bottom of the pit.

Cage traps are kind of a hassle, but they give your trappers and mechanics more to do.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Cage traps are a pain in the rear end as you have to "process" all the prisoners afterwards. I'm planning on building something with lava so I still get their metal items and I don't have to do much.
What's the easiest way to build a latch in DF? I want the invaders to trigger a pressure plate that closes the door behind them, and can only be opened by a lever the dwarves control.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Just make the "extraction door" some stairs and a hatch in the ceiling of the killroom. Hatches cannot be smashed from below.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

scamtank posted:

Just make the "extraction door" some stairs and a hatch in the ceiling of the killroom. Hatches cannot be smashed from below.

I'm hoping to have a system where the invaders can path in to my fortress, getting as far as the killroom, and then are stopped where they are. Even with a hatch, I need some way of it being open (so they find a path) right up until they're in the killroom, and then it closes. Relying on dwarves to pull levers is a really great way of killing fortresses, in my experience.

edit: wiki saves the day: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Pressure_plate#Latching_Pressure_Plates

Splode fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 21, 2014

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Is there a way to mod/dfhack water wheels to work with magma? Because I've got a proof of concept megaproject weapon that I just finished, and I want to upgrade from water to magma.

Deki fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 21, 2014

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Deki posted:

Is there a way to mod/dfhack water wheels to work with magma? Because I've got a proof of concept megaproject weapon that I just finished, and I want to upgrade from water to magma.

Currently lava does not generate flow and water wheels can only be made out of wood, so you have a lot of modding to do if you're going to make this work.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Kobold encampment of Brownpants lives up to its name in the first year, barely surviving a full-on dwarven siege, thanks cage traps :)

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Splode posted:

What's the easiest way to build a latch in DF? I want the invaders to trigger a pressure plate that closes the door behind them, and can only be opened by a lever the dwarves control.

Minecarts, track rollers, and pressure plates. There's a decent guide to minecart logic on the wiki.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A way to make a drop trap work in MW has occurred to me: just leave some stairs back up to the start of the drop area at the bottom of the shaft, so invaders will have to path through it until they either a) make it through your line of dodge-proving traps without actually dodging off the bridge, or b) splatter

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I learned the hard way that water flow barely deters invaders. What it mostly does is train them to be champion swimmers in a few days. Thanks, Toad. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deki posted:

Nether-cap wood is magma safe. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Nether-cap

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Currently lava does not generate flow and water wheels can only be made out of wood, so you have a lot of modding to do if you're going to make this work.

He could change the base properties of whatever wood the wheel is made out of to make it magma safe. Pretty sure that would even work in an active save once you reload it. There's no way to make magma flow like water does though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

dfhack/liquids lets you force the "flowing stream" flag on any given tiles. Does it only work with water?

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Today I realized I had left a dwarf impaled on a spike trap for several years.

He's a vampire, though. So he was not too bad off.

Spoilers: So I was trying to make a vampire well, that way if I found my fortress in adventure mode my dwarf could become a vampire by drinking the vampire's blood. Made a well, set up spike traps all along the bottom, lure the vampire in there, and then the fortress threw enough water on them to make certain it wouldn't just evaporate out (3/7). I thought I had retracted the copper spikes after injuring the vampire. I guess not. Or if I did, I tried impaling it again later to get it to move from the bottom of the well or react in any way, but then the second time I forgot? Either way, not so much vampire blood as I hoped, and a lot of dwarf pus in the bottom of the well.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Eh, a little pus never killed anybody. Worst the dwarves will get is a bad thought, which should be countered by the masterwork statues of history's great vampires you'll no doubt install in the well room.

Or put in some tables and chairs and have an unholy cafe!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Today the drows brought an axe with an image of a blood soaked elf corpse on it.

One of my sergeants is now wielding it. I like to pretend she's going to show it off to the elf merchant guards next time they visit.

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013
I've watched a few "Let's Play" episodes of the Masterwork mod and everything about this game looks great. Is it even feasible to jump straight in to Masterwork or should I look in to the LNP first? The depth of Masterwork looks pretty amazing, but would it be easy to be overwhelmed if I jumped straight in to that?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

JBtheman posted:

I've watched a few "Let's Play" episodes of the Masterwork mod and everything about this game looks great. Is it even feasible to jump straight in to Masterwork or should I look in to the LNP first? The depth of Masterwork looks pretty amazing, but would it be easy to be overwhelmed if I jumped straight in to that?

Best way is to jump into it for sure. It will be frustrating at first but you'll get it, it clicks after a while

Try plump helmet men for food. Just be sure to bring a couple ropes to rope them in...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I dunno, I'd recommend you start with vanilla and at least get a grip on how the base game works. Masterwork doesn't exactly make the game harder but it takes an already-complex game and makes it dramatically more complicated, and not always in good ways.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

JBtheman posted:

I recommend starting with the Starter Pack (basically an updated LNP). Masterwork is great, but it adds quite a lot to the game and additional complexity is the last thing you want as a new player.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just start playing it, fiddle with settings to your liking. I like to turn harder mining, smelting, learning, and farming off, and also warlocks, automatons, and frost giants, because that stuff is just bullshit imo.

If you have a reasonable idea of what you're doing with vanilla you should be fine with Masterwork.

If you're totally new to the game I'd still say just jump in and try it, the worst that will happen is your dwarves will die.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 25, 2014

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Anyone have any tips to keep dwarves from drowning? There's a shallow brook (easily walked through) in my region. During winter I usually mine the ice for free mining experience. I have had a few dwarves drown this way and from what I can tell they sometimes just decide to loiter in the cold mud for no reason. I wouldn't care except that my original (embark) miner just managed to drown himself and it's kind of bumming me out.

Also, are arrow traps or spear traps a better way to spray blood? I'm trying to "decorate" a little, but I'm not necessarily trying to kill the source of blood.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Anyone have any tips to keep dwarves from drowning? There's a shallow brook (easily walked through) in my region. During winter I usually mine the ice for free mining experience. I have had a few dwarves drown this way and from what I can tell they sometimes just decide to loiter in the cold mud for no reason. I wouldn't care except that my original (embark) miner just managed to drown himself and it's kind of bumming me out.

Also, are arrow traps or spear traps a better way to spray blood? I'm trying to "decorate" a little, but I'm not necessarily trying to kill the source of blood.

Build some flood gates so when the brook melts you have time to get your dwarves out. I recommend building them both upstream and downstream, but just upstream would probably be fine.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any ETA on the next big update? It's what I'm waiting for before I get back into the game :(

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Sometime this year or maybe sometime next year. It's the answer you'll always get.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Saith posted:

Sometime this year or maybe sometime next year. It's the answer you'll always get.

Thanks, I appreciate getting an answer fullstop. I think I may just bite the bullet and play again, I miss this drat game too much.

Is Military still borked? Or has that largely been bugfixed. I remember there being a rather large issue with Military.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Splode posted:

Build some flood gates so when the brook melts you have time to get your dwarves out. I recommend building them both upstream and downstream, but just upstream would probably be fine.

In my experience rivers/streams flood from both ends at thaw. I was hoping to avoid any more floodgates; my fortress is lousy with 'em.

Loopoo posted:

Thanks, I appreciate getting an answer fullstop. I think I may just bite the bullet and play again, I miss this drat game too much.

Is Military still borked? Or has that largely been bugfixed. I remember there being a rather large issue with Military.

I think militia got mostly fixed before the last release, but soap and ton of other things are still bugged to Hell.

I'm not sure whether he left contagion/deadly dust in the game as a Forgotten Beast effect, though. I've just been avoiding them.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

In my experience rivers/streams flood from both ends at thaw. I was hoping to avoid any more floodgates; my fortress is lousy with 'em.

I think militia got mostly fixed before the last release, but soap and ton of other things are still bugged to Hell.

I'm not sure whether he left contagion/deadly dust in the game as a Forgotten Beast effect, though. I've just been avoiding them.

I've had soap working again somehow, but I do remember when it used to end with a bunch of dwarves comically slipping on the soap cancelling their clean self job forever.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Suicide Sam E. posted:

You could designate the traffic area on the river floor as restricted. That way they will path there to mine and then hopefully leave ASAP without hanging around.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Any ETA on the next big update? It's what I'm waiting for before I get back into the game :(

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Toady One posted:

I finished the options I needed to handle on the information screens today. That leaves me with my "issues" text file to work through. That's the next and final step for this release -- getting it up to a state where it isn't an utter and fundamental degradation of the currently released version. There are crashes, optimizations that need doing, dwarves that seem to potter off without thinking in between certain jobs, and all manner of other trouble.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I'd be happy if dwarves didn't frequently pick the longer route if given more than one option for moving through the fortress.

I am happy that dwarves are no longer constantly deconstructing/constructing walls, etc. in a manner which traps them until 1. you notice them or, 2. they die of thirst.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They always take the route with the lowest pathfinding cost. The catch is the method they use for determining which of a series of possible destinations is closest doesn't account for the pathfinding cost of getting there. If you have a workshop, and a relevant stockpile in the same spot one Z-level lower or higher, that stockpile will always be perceived as 'closest' even if your Dwarves have to walk 500 tiles to get there, versus a stockpile on the same z-level, 20 tiles away.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Just got the latest masterwork release and it's great. But one thing, is living stone bugged? I can't seem to get any actual living stone to come out of mining. Even the "fun" stuff isn't there!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

hailthefish posted:

They always take the route with the lowest pathfinding cost. The catch is the method they use for determining which of a series of possible destinations is closest doesn't account for the pathfinding cost of getting there.

There is a little exception in that dwarves bumping into other friendly creatures often stop and find a different path to avoid crowding? I guess? Whatever the exact reason if you have a 1x1 choke point in a high traffic area with alternate routes that's probably going to be a problem.

Kayle7 posted:

Just got the latest masterwork release and it's great. But one thing, is living stone bugged? I can't seem to get any actual living stone to come out of mining. Even the "fun" stuff isn't there!

I can't either actually.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

Kayle7 posted:

You need to have the extra ! FUN! option enabled, I think?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there any way to stop dwarves getting resources from other workshops of the same type? I have 2 furniture shops with the dwarves stealing the blocks from each other in an infinite loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Is there any way to stop dwarves getting resources from other workshops of the same type? I have 2 furniture shops with the dwarves stealing the blocks from each other in an infinite loop.

You can assign workshops to only pull from a certain stockpile?