Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I'm feeding a 2x3x1 bank of 6 crucibles with a single igneous extruder. The extruder is on top of one of the crucibles, exporting to all sides and downwards, and the other 5 crucibles have an itemduct on top of them.
From what I've seen, it seems like fire actually smelts crucibles faster than lava. One magmatic engine takes 1.5 constantly-fed fire-netherrack crucibles to power itself. So with 6 crucibles I'm feeding 4 magmatics and keeping an almost perfect equilibrium of stored lava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
So I've walled off a small portion of the nether in Agrarian Skies so that I can get some netherrack and glowstone easily, plus eventually maybe some nether ores. I'm curious - other than having poo poo like hellfish coming out of the walls and super-speed cracked-out zombie pigmen who hate you forever, does AS have any other dickery going on in the Nether? I mean, just the super-speed cracked-out zombie pigmen are bad enough...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Robhol posted:

Are you sure about the itemducts? Maybe I'm on a different version to you, but I can get itemducts to feed in cobble from the top fine.

That might be the problem. I tried feeding them from the sides. Makes my free power that much cheaper though now that I don't need emeralds and diamonds to power them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

axelsoar posted:

Here is an easier way to get bronze.

Just set the side where the input is coming in from to blue, the Induction smelter is smart enough to put the incoming items in the 2 slots.

Put the '3 copper + 1 tin = 4 bronze" pattern in the interface on the left, and you are good to go.

Holy poo poo, thank you. That recipe doesn't show up in NEI for some reason, so I didn't even try.

(The Galacticraft machines are still completely terrible, though.)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

President Ark posted:

So I've walled off a small portion of the nether in Agrarian Skies so that I can get some netherrack and glowstone easily, plus eventually maybe some nether ores. I'm curious - other than having poo poo like hellfish coming out of the walls and super-speed cracked-out zombie pigmen who hate you forever, does AS have any other dickery going on in the Nether? I mean, just the super-speed cracked-out zombie pigmen are bad enough...

Well, looking at the configs, there are always-infernal nitro creepers... and hellbats can be infernal too. Hey, I thought pigmen could spawn anywhere regardless of light level? Did you put slabs everywhere?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Well, looking at the configs, there are always-infernal nitro creepers... and hellbats can be infernal too. Hey, I thought pigmen could spawn anywhere regardless of light level? Did you put slabs everywhere?

You can also put down glass everywhere. Nothing can spawn on glass.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

President Ark posted:

Nether Ores. They explode. They explode extremely and will set off a chain reaction and probably kill you instantly if you're caught in the explosion.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Seems like walling off the nether would be more trouble than it's worth, especially considering that a small area wouldn't have much glowstone in it.
Me, I just get the Blood Magic air sigil and slingshot myself around the nether, flying over all the dangerous monsters in the event I need resources. But there's honestly not a whole lot in there I need. Though, I did harvest like a thousand soulsand from this one enormous deposit, mostly for sifting.

Serifina posted:

Nether Ores. They explode. They explode extremely and will set off a chain reaction and probably kill you instantly if you're caught in the explosion.
They're also likely to free nearby hellfish.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Seems like walling off the nether would be more trouble than it's worth, especially considering that a small area wouldn't have much glowstone in it.

The area the portal dropped me in was bordered on two sides by walls and a cliff on the third, so I only needed to build one wall. Future excursions will be getting on top of that wall and bridging to where I have to go so I don't have to walk on foot and get torn apart by pigmen.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

How do I catch the stuff coming out of the sifter when using an autonomous activator other than standing next to it?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

AceClown posted:

How do I catch the stuff coming out of the sifter when using an autonomous activator other than standing next to it?

Vacuum hopper above it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Any advice on good food combos? I started out by picking the carrot seed reward and drank carrot juice for ages. Then I got a potato farm going and I've been making fries. I feel as though I could probably start eating better food than that too. Candied pork, perhaps, but I don't have a pig farm set up yet.

Also, holy crap those cooking quests.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

AceClown posted:

Also, Direwolf20 built a flowing water trough* over his automated system that carried the items to a regular hopper. Seemed pretty nifty, though I'm not sure how it compares resource wise to President Ark's suggestion, though it can be expanded by more sifters per source block.

*Video is Pahimar's view, as I haven't actually watched DW20's videos in a long time.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

President Ark posted:

Vacuum hopper above it.

Thanks pals, was getting a bit boring just standing next to it :V

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Serifina posted:

Mining it with silktouch will prevent explosions, but will still aggro everything.

Also barrels and crucibles. They accept items from the top, liquids can be inserted, withdraw, from any direction, and items have to be pulled out from the bottom. This also means it's easy to make an automated source of clay or soul sand.

Also, if you are having problems with mobs not dying when falling in your tower mob grinder, you can line the floor with Punji sticks, or iron spikes, and if you don't care about the fire immune, pour liquid metal into it. Liquid metal will burn mobs, players, and critters, but won't burn items. It's lava that burns without the fire.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AceClown posted:

Thanks pals, was getting a bit boring just standing next to it :V

Also works to the side. The items come out of the top so vacuum hoppers work just about anywhere besides directly below the sifter. This lets you have multiple sifters in the range of the same vacuum hopper.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SugarAddict posted:

Also, if you are having problems with mobs not dying when falling in your tower mob grinder, you can line the floor with Punji sticks, or iron spikes, and if you don't care about the fire immune, pour liquid metal into it. Liquid metal will burn mobs, players, and critters, but won't burn items. It's lava that burns without the fire.
Or fly up to the clouds, grab a few cloud blocks, and put them at the bottom of the drop so that mobs constantly spawn even when you're right next to it, but don't die from the fall.
Then put an MFR grinder next to it. You get mob drops (even rare ones like trophies, spider eyes, and armor), plus you get more mob essence than you'll ever be able to use.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 21, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
In Hexxit, is there some weird shortcut key that makes it so that you can't drag and drop items in your inventory that I might have pressed by accident? Suddenly I can only quick swap items on my hotbar, instead of dragging things in and out of my inventory. :ughh:

Edit: I found the option in an inventory submenu, no idea what button it was, but I just turned the shortcuts off entirely. Geez.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
How are you all making your mob droppers? the one I used way back when used water to push stuff, and I imagine that just ends up having endermen port around if they have the room to spawn in there. Do they get hurt by other liquids? Can I push them to their doom with milk?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

axelsoar posted:

How are you all making your mob droppers? the one I used way back when used water to push stuff, and I imagine that just ends up having endermen port around if they have the room to spawn in there. Do they get hurt by other liquids? Can I push them to their doom with milk?

Minefactory Reloaded conveyer belts work great for this purpose.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

axelsoar posted:

Conveyer belts were practically made for this. You could also skip the drop and use grinders to just kill things as they appear.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

axelsoar posted:

How are you all making your mob droppers? the one I used way back when used water to push stuff, and I imagine that just ends up having endermen port around if they have the room to spawn in there.

I set up a basic water one really early on and yeah, endermen were EVERYWHERE. I didn't have a way to shut it off so I just dug the bottom out so mobs just fell into the void. That obviously doesn't work for endermen. I had at least two porting around at any given time. The fuckers would teleport directly into the middle of my screen and then get all pissy. It got so annoying I eventually had to use a charge out of a flight potion I got from a quest to fly up and light the inside up. I did make out with a couple of stacks of ender pearls, though.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Does the Railcraft boiler power the Big Reactor Big Turbine? or can it?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah I just let them spawn and wander around so I could get ender pearls. Eventually I will dismantle mine and make a grinder farm. Or put conveyor belts in there instead of water. Right now though, I'm about to set up a tree farm. As it so happens, I managed to somehow acquire an unusual sapling...

Should I? I definitely do not have the power to run my harvester full time right now but...

President Ark
May 16, 2010

axelsoar posted:

If the mob dropper spawn area is only two blocks tall, endermen can't spawn in it.

I think you also have to make the interior surface of the actual drop portion of the tower out of glass so that spiders can't catch it and break their fall. You'll have to then coat that in cobblestone again to keep the light out.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

President Ark posted:

If the mob dropper spawn area is only two blocks tall, endermen can't spawn in it.

I think you also have to make the interior surface of the actual drop portion of the tower out of glass so that spiders can't catch it and break their fall. You'll have to then coat that in cobblestone again to keep the light out.

You can just not have the drop portion enclosed. Light does not creep in from the bottom if the farm's dimensions are large enough.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I decided to take a break from the crushing tedium that is Galacticraft and instead head off and kill the Ender Dragon for the first time ever. The fight was kind of easy; Infernal Mobs has screwed me so many times I kind of assumed the final battle would be similarly amped up, but it didn't appear to be at all, and it turns out that Dragon vs. Iron Man On Steroids is a very short and uneven matchup.

Then I stepped through the ending portal.

What the gently caress did I just read :psyduck::lsd::catdrugs: is this the result of one of the mods or does this happen in stock Minecraft as well?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

What the gently caress did I just read :psyduck::lsd::catdrugs: is this the result of one of the mods or does this happen in stock Minecraft as well?

That giant pile of literary masturbation is Stock Minecraft. I didn't even realize or care that Minecraft had an end until I saw someone do a run of it in the Janurary AGDQ speedrun charity marathon.

Yes, someone did a speedrun of vanilla Minecraft.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Alkydere posted:

That giant pile of literary masturbation is Stock Minecraft. I didn't even realize or care that Minecraft had an end until I saw someone do a run of it in the Janurary AGDQ speedrun charity marathon.

Yes, someone did a speedrun of vanilla Minecraft.

Well it was a set seed and a donation goal. I think Notch himself kicked in $10,000 to make it happen so regardless of silly it is it was definitely for a good cause.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tracula posted:

Well it was a set seed and a donation goal. I think Notch himself kicked in $10,000 to make it happen so regardless of silly it is it was definitely for a good cause.

I think people at the time were certain they did it deliberately to get Notch's attention so he'd donate. Dude loves throwing cash around when charity is involved.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tracula posted:

President Ark posted:

I think people at the time were certain they did it deliberately to get Notch's attention so he'd donate. Dude loves throwing cash around when charity is involved.

Eh, if the guy likes throwing money at charities it was for a good cause and everyone had fun, and a lot of people (like me) got to see that Minecraft had an "end". I'm looking forward to the summer marathon and seeing how much money they raise then.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

There are people who have played even heavily-modded minecraft for years who are unaware The End exists or that there's a dragon. It's just so tacked on and has nothing to do with anything else going on in the game. Why not some King of the Nether, who is perhaps the origin of the undead and suicide bombers on the overworld?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

chairface posted:

There are people who have played even heavily-modded minecraft for years who are unaware The End exists or that there's a dragon. It's just so tacked on and has nothing to do with anything else going on in the game. Why not some King of the Nether, who is perhaps the origin of the undead and suicide bombers on the overworld?

I'd much rather some kind of OverCreeper, seeing as they're the most memorable/infamous enemy in the game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Either would have been more interesting than the half-assed End. I mean, I knew kinda about the end, but didn't know about the ender dragon until I saw it mentioned one time and looked him up. I was still not at all interested in going to a dimension full of the most annoying enemy and fighting him.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

chairface posted:

The dragon egg has been in the game for over 2 years and still has no function.
2 years.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

The dragon egg has been in the game for over 2 years and still has no function.
2 years.

Bragging rights? Something to show off to your friends as they deal with a randomly empowered zombie with enough health, regeneration and defense that three players (a wizard, a guy in power armor and a guy with a warhammer) can't kill it?

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 21, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

chairface posted:

Because dragons and slendermen :iamafag:

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Wasn't The End supposed to be an Indev style sky world at one point?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I seem to recall that as well and even seeing some tweeted pictures years back but for whatever reason he canned it. That does remind me of something and on the topic of mods. Friend of mine said the Aether is gonna be getting updated/closed beta/something soon? Are they devs for that still egotistical dickbags or have they managed to lighten up at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Line Feed posted:

Wasn't The End supposed to be an Indev style sky world at one point?

Tracula posted:

I seem to recall that as well and even seeing some tweeted pictures years back but for whatever reason he canned it. That does remind me of something and on the topic of mods. Friend of mine said the Aether is gonna be getting updated/closed beta/something soon? Are they devs for that still egotistical dickbags or have they managed to lighten up at all?

Notch had tweeted images of the terrain generation for the End before implementing Endstone and the like. Some magazine noticed it (PCGamer?) and decided to run an article that Notch was adding in sky islands based on at tiem popular player request without actually contacting Notch to comment. Notch immediately corrected them over twitter that it was for no such feature and was kind of ticked off that they decided to run the article without confirming what the image was (gaming journalism :v: ), but not a lot of people saw Notch's response because OMGSKYLANDS.

• Locked thread