Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Which is everything, FFX's postgame requires millions upon millions of gil to bribe enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Dr Pepper posted:

Which is everything, FFX's postgame requires millions upon millions of gil to bribe enemies.

and don't forgot, you need to pay gil to fight monsters. To farm all those special spheres

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Give Brother the Gun Mage dressphere and he'll cast it. Can you get it from that?

I gave it a try, but no-go. You normally can't learn Blue Bullets from your party members, anyway.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sefal posted:

and don't forgot, you need to pay gil to fight monsters. To farm all those special spheres
Don't they give you more money than it costs to fight them? Honestly the hardest part about the Monster Arena is when you run out of basic spheres to fill in the board with.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

Don't they give you more money than it costs to fight them? Honestly the hardest part about the Monster Arena is when you run out of basic spheres to fill in the board with.

I don't think so, it's been 5 years since I last did that, but I remember I would sometimes be broke after farming some monsters.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

The White Dragon posted:

No, none of the Monster Arena creations give any gil at all. The sole exception is Fafnir but that doesn't really count because it's a glitch that makes him technically free to fight instead.

Also if you run out of basic spheres, you fight Kottos. At that point, he's a chump and gives you 40 of whatever regular sphere you like.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I started the FFX remake the other day. Good lord what did they do to the eyes? And they fixed the kid saying he wanted to be a Blitzball. Apart from that, pretty great. Got to the first boat bit, trying out the Expert Grid this time.

Something occurred to me, that hasn't before. Gonna spoil it just in case somebody in this thread is slower than me and also hasn't played the original. Those two Crusaders outside the door on the boat to Kilika, are they guarding a Sinspawn for Operation Mi'ihen back there? What they say made me suspect it slightly, and Sin attacks you for seemingly no reason (that I can remember) and Sin is supposed to come back for its spawn.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Money isn't an issue in the monster arena because the equipment you get from the creations sell for more than the cost to fight them, particularly when you farm One-Eye over and over

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

McDragon posted:

I started the FFX remake the other day. Good lord what did they do to the eyes? And they fixed the kid saying he wanted to be a Blitzball. Apart from that, pretty great. Got to the first boat bit, trying out the Expert Grid this time.

Something occurred to me, that hasn't before. Gonna spoil it just in case somebody in this thread is slower than me and also hasn't played the original. Those two Crusaders outside the door on the boat to Kilika, are they guarding a Sinspawn for Operation Mi'ihen back there? What they say made me suspect it slightly, and Sin attacks you for seemingly no reason (that I can remember) and Sin is supposed to come back for its spawn.

Re: your spoiler: Yeah, it seemed fairly obvious to me that that's what was going on.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So now I have two games 1000/1000:

Dark Souls

and

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Also Lightning Returns is weird but I like it!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Final Fantasy needs chocobos singing their own theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d81qFaoe010

Fun fact: This is actually the original version of the theme featured in Final Fantasy II (back when chocobos looked like this), since all the games from III onwards used a longer version with the second part.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finally got around to finishing Lightning Returns and that final series of cutscenes was everything I wanted it to be. Robo God was a really dumb boss though and not nearly as fun as Barty or Caius.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finished the cactuar village sidequest, that only took a loving eternity

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

Newsflash: by far the easiest and quickest ultimate weapon to get besides kimahris, who a) sucks and b) his ultimate weapon is GARBAGE

It's so bad that the official strategy guide advises you not to get it. Because of how garbage it is

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

also change the thread title to "get no encounters equipment"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xenogenesis posted:

I got No Encounter armor yesterday. It's the best. :allears:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Xenogenesis posted:

wait what no encounters

gently caress

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Occupation posted:

Newsflash: by far the easiest and quickest ultimate weapon to get besides kimahris, who a) sucks and b) his ultimate weapon is GARBAGE
And Auron's which involves flying to the first few areas in the game and one-shotting everything until you have at least one of each monster up to Mushroom Rock Road.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

MrAristocrates posted:

wait what no encounters

gently caress

Ahahaha

1) Kill some Ghosts in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth, they have a small chance of dropping what you need, or

2) Rob the zombies in the Zanarkand dome until you have 30 Purifying Salts and glue them to an armour.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MrAristocrates posted:

wait what no encounters

gently caress

Geosgaeno, the boss at Baaj Temple when you visit with the airship, can drop a weapon with the ability.

Or you can customize it onto an armor with 30 Purifying Salts, which can be stolen from the Zombie Monks in Zanarkand

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The White Dragon posted:

And Auron's which involves flying to the first few areas in the game and one-shotting everything until you have at least one of each monster up to Mushroom Rock Road.

Auron's is easier but much, much slower

Also you'll want to get everything on the list not just the ten you need for his ulti

Ed: mra you did the cactuar village quest without no encounters

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you done hosed UP son

I hope everyone had capture weapons equipped at least

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
What's the absolute earliest you can get no encounter?
I usually get mine from geosagona. but I read a few years ago, you could get one around the thunder-plains?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dr Pepper posted:

Geosgaeno, the boss at Baaj Temple when you visit with the airship, can drop a weapon with the ability.

Or you can customize it onto an armor with 30 Purifying Salts, which can be stolen from the Zombie Monks in Zanarkand

You get 99 of them if you catch enough monsters to make Fafnir.

Really though, just kill Geosgaeno until he drops a weapon with it on - it's a 50/50 shot so it's not gonna take more than a few tries. The character he drops it for doesn't even have to be one of the active 3 for it to work, just as long as it's equipped.

E:

Sefal posted:

What's the absolute earliest you can get no encounter?
I usually get mine from geosagona. but I read a few years ago, you could get one around the thunder-plains?

Like YggiDee said, Ghosts from the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth rarely drop 'em. If you really want it for Gagazet, catch one and then fight it in the monster arena until it gives you what you need.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 21, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Every play through of ffx I've done, which is four, I always had one by the time I was ready to butterflies/omega temple/jecht spheres/ cactuar village

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Jecht shot, venom shot, venom shot. 3-2 overtime win. Eat poo poo goers

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Well it's Catcher Chocobo time. Time to spend an hour or two getting hit in the face by birds. Oddly I did the butterfly catching in about 15 minutes this time, when I distinctly remember it pissing me off immensely first time around. Having a map helps, plus I think the HD version makes it a bit easier overall since the higher resolution makes the butterflies easier to see.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trying to back track for the Jecht Spheres after beating Sperimorph but the elevator by Mushroom Rock/Mi'hen doesn't work. Am I missing something obvious to get back?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KDdidit posted:

Trying to back track for the Jecht Spheres after beating Sperimorph but the elevator by Mushroom Rock/Mi'hen doesn't work. Am I missing something obvious to get back?

Yeah, run up the wreckage on the shore.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, run up the wreckage on the shore.

All the way back there? Doh.

Edit, am past that, meant the elevator right by the Jecht Sphere at Mushroom rock.

KDdidit fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 21, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I'm seeing this girl and she asked me what video game I was playing

I told her Lightning Returns

She asked, "oh what's it about?"

I was at a loss for words trying to succinctly explain the plots of both ffxiii and ffxiii-2 that wasn't either incomprehensible gibberish or making me look like goonlord supreme

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Genocide and dress-up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

And here's thhe thing: I really like the series! Like ffxiii is my second favorite ff behind vi! But wow is trying to explain it and especially its sequels convoluted nonsense to someone else especially a romantic interest makes you feel like the biggest dumb ever

That's the nice thing about every other ff, they all (besides VIII) have relatively simple throughlines

Ffiv? You're a former bad guy doing good to save the world
VI? You're a half monster lady trying to save the world from a psychopathic clown
X? You have to kill your dad who's now a crazy world destroying monster
XII? Nothing. Nothing happens
But XIII? Well you see there's this thing called l'cie, and this goddess called Etro...

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 21, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno, it doesn't seem that hard to think up short summations of the basic plot for each game.

XIII: Your party is cursed and they set out to try and break the curse.
XIII-2: The sister of the main character from XIII travels through time to find out what happened to her sister.
XIII-3: You're on a mission from god to save the world in thirteen days.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

S-Alpha posted:

I dunno, it doesn't seem that hard to think up short summations of the basic plot for each game.

Wrong. Never once are they trying to break the curse. The first 9 chapters they're just running away and then they're trying to ignore The Pope and then they decide to do the pope's bidding by killing him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

S-Alpha posted:

XIII-2: The sister of the main character from XIII travels through time to find out what happened to her sister.

That's roughly what I went with although I disagree with your summation of xiii-2, serah knows exactly what happened to her sister (or at least thinks she does), most to all of xiii-2 is spent more on fixing the fallout of what happened then trying to figure out what happened to lightning

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zero Star posted:

I never thought I'd enjoy FFX-2, but the Creature Creator is such an addiction for me. I've just completed the Besaid sphere hunt in Chapter 1 and my lineup looks like this:

Tonberry
Zuu
Behemoth
Iron Giant
Protochimera
Chocobo
Adamantoise
and one free slot

Also if you complete an Iron Giant's fiend story, the ending cutscene shows that it was really being controlled by PuPu from FF8 the entire time. Meanwhile, Tonberry's fiend story is just him letting you know how happy and carefree Tonberries are. They all live underground and spend their days goofing and joking around with each other. :3:

This sounds amazing and now I really want to get around to FFX2 again. I did most of it back on the PS2 but the International version never came out in English. How does the whole capturing thing work? Or does the game explain it well enough.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

S-Alpha posted:

And technically in LR you're not trying to save the world. The World is hosed and everyone knows it. You're just trying to collect as many souls as possible before it ends.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There I got the Chocobo race done and over with as soon as possible.

Never again.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Semantics, semantics, and also semantics. Making a perfectly accurate, short, pithy description for a plot with multiple twists and turns over the course of tens of hours is impossible, so just cutting it down to its barest of minimums is kinda required. Otherwise the description for FFVI/IX/etc would be hell to type out.

(And you are trying to save the world in XIII-3, just not the planet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This sounds amazing and now I really want to get around to FFX2 again. I did most of it back on the PS2 but the International version never came out in English. How does the whole capturing thing work? Or does the game explain it well enough.

All the monster capturing stuff is done from a menu, so it's reasonably straightforward. Just note that whatever you catch will be the averaged level of Yuna/Rikku/Paine. There's some ridiculous prizes for the Fiend tournaments as well but they'll kick your rear end early on.