Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Holy poo poo is Steven Wilson motivated :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I can't find the interview now, but Steven Wilson said he only takes about a week making those 5.1 remixes for an album. That's pretty impressive considering how great a lot of them sound. I wish he could have done the Genesis remixes that were made a couple of years ago.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Attitude Indicator posted:

I can't find the interview now, but Steven Wilson said he only takes about a week making those 5.1 remixes for an album. That's pretty impressive considering how great a lot of them sound. I wish he could have done the Genesis remixes that were made a couple of years ago.

He actually said it takes him a week for the whole process, it was 5 days for the stereo remix and 2 days for the 5.1 mix. I hope he gets a new album out before the end of the year, this year is looking good already between Opeth, Anathema, etc releases.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but my sister-in-law is a deadbeat loser who refuses to pay for concert tickets. We now have an extra Dream Theater ticket for the show on Sunday in Mesa, AZ.

I would rather give it to someone else for free than take her. Anyone want it? There are two other people going with me. Send me a PM.

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 18, 2014

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

So prog thread - what are people's views of The Flower Kings? I've haven't heard any of their stuff yet, but snagged a copy of Stardust We Are we are at a Record/CD Fair the other day and it's on my to listen pile.

I figure I'll probably like their stuff (and if not, was cheap) given what wiki says about their style. Having more sprawling double albums is a plus too. Just never really seen any talk about them.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

There really isn't much to say about Flower Kings in my opinion. They're talented musicians who make unremarkable and derivative prog rock. It's perfectly listenable, but I don't know why you'd want to.

Except for Roine Ztoltz zpecial way of pronouncing when he zingz, of courze.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I keep trying to listen to The Flower Kings but their music is so forgettable. It's not offensively bad, but I usually turn off their albums because I'm just bored by them. The title track of Stardust We Are is probably the only melody I can even recall off of the top of my head.

What are people's favorite Porcupine Tree-esque bands? I've really gotten into their older stuff especially. PT and Phideaux are my favorite "dark" prog bands right now.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 19, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Declan MacManus posted:

Is the Peter Banks stuff getting remastered? I can't find any information on it and that's always the most overlooked period of Yes.

Also I went back and listened to ABWH and while they're better than the Rabin incarnation of Yes, it's not... great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUjsSgIUoHQ

Rick Wakeman is using default patches on that keyboard or something because it sounds dated as hell and Howe has like zero energy. Jeff Berlin and Bill Bruford kill it, and Jon Anderson and his voice are ageless. So I'd listen to 60% of this band I guess? (I absolutely would have listened to a Jeff Berlin/Bill Bruford/Jon Anderson supergroup)

I wish there was a video recording of them with Levin. It would have been cool seeing him and Bruford jamming out with those long sticks on his fingers. I do agree though, ABWH wasn't as good in hindsight. The best part of the concert was the opening with all of them doing their solos going into Long Distance Runaround. But between Bruford's 80s digital drums, Wakeman's cheesy 80s keyboard sound and Howe's less energetic playing style, I'll take the Yes of 1969-80 any day over ABWH. But, at the time, it was awesome. The 80s sound didn't sound as dated as it does today and it was great hearing the old classics again after the overly poppy 90125 and Big Generator tours. A few more great things about ABWH live: They brought back the acoustic guitar opening to And You And I, and this may be the best Starship Trooper live version I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKcWGDiC5oQ

Howe seemed to have some of his old energy back here.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 19, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

There really isn't much to say about Flower Kings in my opinion. They're talented musicians who make unremarkable and derivative prog rock. It's perfectly listenable, but I don't know why you'd want to.

Except for Roine Ztoltz zpecial way of pronouncing when he zingz, of courze.

A better band than Flower Kings (but in the same vein) is Black Bonzo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZfTGbajLM

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Gianthogweed posted:

A better band than Flower Kings (but in the same vein) is Black Bonzo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZfTGbajLM

I like this song, but the band has the same problem as a lot of other "modern" prog bands in that they just ape stuff from the seventies. When the genre started it was all new and about experimentation and not really setting limits for yourself and whatnot, and now it's 40 years later and people are just copying it. It doesn't really make it bad, but it definetly makes it less interesting.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

tankadillo posted:

What are people's favorite Porcupine Tree-esque bands? I've really gotten into their older stuff especially. PT and Phideaux are my favorite "dark" prog bands right now.
Which era of Porcupine Tree? I figure there are at least three distinct eras within their music, with completely different "this sounds like" recommendations for each.

If you like their mid-period stuff like The Sky Moves Sideways, I really really recommend an instrumental Swedish band called Gösta Berlings Saga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAMW7YgY7Xc

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Thought I'd pop in with some balalaika goodness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qcgpe1UMmE
It's actually Liquid Tension Experiment, though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

tankadillo posted:

The Pineapple Thief

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Paladinus posted:

Thought I'd pop in with some balalaika goodness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qcgpe1UMmE
It's actually Liquid Tension Experiment, though.

I'm sending this one to TL.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
How bout The Tangent? I have their debut and like it fine...is it worth continuing?

funny story: I bought that album b/c I'd heard the name a bunch and really wanted to hear something without Roine Stolt on it...I thought they were American!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rust Martialis posted:

I'm sending this one to TL.
My friend's already twitted it to Portnoy, I think. But those guys deserve some exposure.

JAMOOOL posted:

How bout The Tangent? I have their debut and like it fine...is it worth continuing?

funny story: I bought that album b/c I'd heard the name a bunch and really wanted to hear something without Roine Stolt on it...I thought they were American!
I've tried to get into them several times, but ultimately found them a bit too bland and Swedish for my taste. If you like things like Kaipa, though, you'll probably love them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Little Man in particular is very Porcupine Tree; Snowdrops especially would fit seamlessly in Lightbulb Sun.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Yeah as many others are I'm very undecided on the whole Swedish prog scene - the playing seems to be excellent and the songs are often well thought out, but there's 0 fire whatsoever and I'm kinda sick of Roine Stolt's voice cropping up on everything. I like the two Flower Kings albums I have fine but rarely seem to want to actually listen to them!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

Yeah as many others are I'm very undecided on the whole Swedish prog scene - the playing seems to be excellent and the songs are often well thought out, but there's 0 fire whatsoever and I'm kinda sick of Roine Stolt's voice cropping up on everything. I like the two Flower Kings albums I have fine but rarely seem to want to actually listen to them!
I can't find a nicer way to put this, but are you deliberately avoiding Sweden's eclectic prog scene to focus on Kaipa derivatives? Anekdoten, Änglagård, Gösta Berlings Saga, and Morte Macabre all have way more "fire" than most of the world's prog bands.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

They're OK, I used to be a fan until I got bored of them. I'd check out The World that We Drive Through and A Place in the Queue. Those are pretty good albums, but they do have the same problem as I mentioned earlier with just copying other better bands. Very much Caravan influences, pluss KC and Genesis.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Misogynist posted:

I can't find a nicer way to put this, but are you deliberately avoiding Sweden's eclectic prog scene to focus on Kaipa derivatives? Anekdoten, Änglagård, Gösta Berlings Saga, and Morte Macabre all have way more "fire" than most of the world's prog bands.

I wasn't aware that they were all Swedish! Anglagard is definitely on my "to listen" list as I've seen them talked up so much. I know of Anekdoten and they are definitely good but perhaps not so much up my alley. Don't know about the other two. I love that prog seems to be alive and well over there though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Misogynist posted:

Well, it's like when people say Finnish power metal or Norwegian black metal. Even though not all bands are Sonata Arctica or Gorgoroth, it's a handy shortcut for identifying genres and describing what a band sounds like.

Anekdoten and Morte Macabre are awesome, by the way, so I'll take a look at other bands.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Speaking of swedish prog, here's a golden oldie. Kvartetten som Sprangde (The Quartet that blew up) only released one album as far as I know (Wikipedia doesn't have a page for them) and it's hard to come by. They recently re-released a limited run of 500 copies on vinyl and I think that's about what you can find of them in the physical format (I have one of these :smug:). But it is on Spotify anf Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kvartetten+som+spr%C3%A4ngde

Instrumental, prog and jazz fusion stuff with a lot of swedish folk music undertones. poo poo's good.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Well, it's like when people say Finnish power metal or Norwegian black metal. Even though not all bands are Sonata Arctica or Gorgoroth, it's a handy shortcut for identifying genres and describing what a band sounds like.

Anekdoten and Morte Macabre are awesome, by the way, so I'll take a look at other bands.
Heh, fair point, I hadn't quite considered it from that perspective.

thehoax
Feb 23, 2011

Well, then.

Speaking of swedish prog, here's a golden oldie. Kvartetten som Sprangde (The Quartet that blew up) only released one album as far as I know (Wikipedia doesn't have a page for them) and it's hard to come by. They recently re-released a limited run of 500 copies on vinyl and I think that's about what you can find of them in the physical format (I have one of these :smug:). But it is on Spotify anf Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kvartetten+som+spr%C3%A4ngde

Instrumental, prog and jazz fusion stuff with a lot of swedish folk music undertones. poo poo's good.

That's really good! But so short. Shame they didn't release anything else. Can you recommend anything similar (and preferably similarly obscure)?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Flower Kings reminds of Big Big Train in a way, but a bit more guitar-oriented. I think I like BBT's songs better though.

Has anyone checked out Pure Reason Revolution? I picked up their EP, "Cautionary Tales For The Brave," and I'm really digging it a lot. Some great melodies, and good vocal harmonies.

In other news, I'm not sure I get Gong. I have two albums by them: Expresso, Vol. 2 which is quite jam-oriented, classic 70's fusion - this album I like a lot. And Camembert Electronique, which has mostly vocal songs, lots of gonzo psychedelic craziness. It's kind of weird...you'd think the albums were by two different bands if you didn't know otherwise.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Seventh Arrow posted:

Has anyone checked out Pure Reason Revolution? I picked up their EP, "Cautionary Tales For The Brave," and I'm really digging it a lot. Some great melodies, and good vocal harmonies.

I recommend picking up the complete version of The Dark Third as both the original British and American releases are lacking some of their best tracks.

I'm also at odds with most PRR fans in that I think the followup album, Amor Vincit Omnia, was their best work. It's way tighter, full of energy, and catchy as hell, but their sound shifted away from progressive rock toward synthpop.

Their third album, Hammer and Anvil, is a total embarrassment. There is, however, a pretty good EP (Valour) that's comprised of edits of the few good songs from that album, their last new track, and couple decent odds & ends.

Also they really can't pull off their lovely ensemble vocals live and sound awful and out of tune. Speaking as someone who was actually at the show, don't get Live at NEARfest 2007.

quote:

In other news, I'm not sure I get Gong. I have two albums by them: Expresso, Vol. 2 which is quite jam-oriented, classic 70's fusion - this album I like a lot. And Camembert Electronique, which has mostly vocal songs, lots of gonzo psychedelic craziness. It's kind of weird...you'd think the albums were by two different bands if you didn't know otherwise.

They are two different bands. Daevid Allen and Gilli Smyth left after You, they had an awkward/interesting transitional album in Shamal, and then they became Pierre Moerlen's Gong, though they didn't start calling themselves that until Downwind. Gazeuse! and Expresso II are very much Pierre Moerlen's Gong albums, though. Daevid and Gilli put together a new, somewhat punkish lineup of Gong that existed concurrently with Pierre Moerlen's Gong and I think only released one album (Floating Anarchy).

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 21, 2014

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King
Here's a quick list of Swedish prog. I havent listen to a lot of this music in a long time, so I might be a bit off in the genre-description.
The list ranges between hyper-obscure and well known, mostly old and a few new bands.

Arbete & Fritid - Psych/jazz/folk music/improv/hippierock. Several albums.
Archimedes Badkar - Psych/jazz/improv, played together with Arbete & Fritid. Several albums.
Atlas - Symfonic prog, one album; Blå vardag
Autumn Breeze - Mellow symfonic, folkprog, one album; Höstbris
Baby Grandmothers - Psych, hippiejam. Only one hyperobscure single. Released a doubble LP with old live recordings recently on Subliminal Sounds
Baltik - Heavyprog, one self titeled album.
Berits Halsband - Prog/jazz/rock, great stuff! one self titeled album.
Blå Tåget - Well known for their political songs. Folkrock.
Blåkulla - Heavyprog/symfonic. One self titeled album.
Bättre Lyss - Heavyprog/folkrock, a bit soft. One album.
Contact - Psych/pop/folkrock. Rather popular, variable quality. Three albums.
Dag Vag - Reggea artist. Very popular, not prog but part of the swedish "prog comunity".
Dice - Obscure symfonic prog. Resealed one self titeled album in 1978 but in 92 an album was released originally recorded in 77.
Dimmornas Bro - Heavy symfonic progrock. Two albums. I like this very much.
Dungen - Psych-rock, new band with several releases.
Egba - Probably the most well known jazz-fusion band. Several albums.
Fläsket Brinner - Psych/hippiejam/folk music. Two albums and one 4 CD live compilation.
Bo Hansson - Organ player, jazz/psych, several albums, a few concept albums as well. Appears on several albums with other artists.
Hoola Bandoola Band - Perhaps the best known band from the swedish progg-movement. Quite good at times, folkrock with a hint of psych. Several albums. Band members went on to fame and fortune as solo-artists. Disregard and avoid!
Horizont - Symfonic prog/fusion. Two albums.
Isildurs Bane - Several releases earliest are symphonic prog, later more avantgarde.
Lars "Lach'n" Jonsson - Experimantal musician, played in Zut Un Feu Rouge and Ur Kaos in the 80's, also released a few solo albums (everything highly recomended) and in 2002 released one exelent album with the band Förträngt Hushållsarbete.
Kaipa - Best known of course for being Ronie Stolt's first band. Symfonic prog, allthough their first album is quite different. Active up untill recently.
Kebnekajse (or Kebnekaise) - Swedish folk music with hippiejams. Active in the 70's but have reseased a few exelent albums recently as part of their reunion.
Knutna Nävar - Political folkrock.
Kornet - Jazz/prog, three albums.
Kräldjursanstalten - Experimental stuff. Beefheart-ish.
Kultivator - Released one masterpiece LP of genious Zeuhl music!
Kvartetten Som Sprängde - Jazzprog. I see they are mentioned in a previous post. Originaly released on a tiny label (even by swedish prog-standards) and thus hyper rare!
Made In Sweden - Early albums psych but moved towards prog/jazz and fusion. Several albums.
Motvind - Heavy rock with a hint of prog.
Nationalteatern - Another well known political folk-rock band. Lots of albums.
November - Heavy rock, Swedish answer to Black Sabbath and Deep Purple.
Nynningen - Political folkrock, at times pastiche-songs.
Peps Persson - as with Dag Vag, a popular reggea-artist associated with the movement.
Philemon Arthur & the Dung - If they are not prog then what are they? Nobody know who they were, one album was released. As a joke? By people in the movement? By stoned hippies with a cassette recorder? Who knows, who cares, instant cult classic!
Psynkopat - Moving into punk-territory now, but too experimental for punks, one album.
Ragnarök - Mellow, pastoral symfonic prog. They released four albums + one reunion album, I have only heard the first.
Resan - One self titeled cult album, super obscure but have been re-released lately. Psychedelic stuff, folk-rock with some jamming.
Råg I Ryggen - Heavy rock with hints of prog.
Röde Kapellet - Political folk-rock.
Samla Mammas Manna - Later known as Zamla Mammaz Manna and Von Zamla. Experimental/jazz/prog/circus/improv. Lots of releases, everything fantastic but might be a bit offensive to symphrock-fans, later associated with the RIO-movement. Several side projects and solo albums also highly recommended:
-Lars Hollmer - Several solo-albums, simpler almost childish.
-Ramlösa Kvällar - One live album whith Hollmer and Apetrea released during a SMM hiatus
-Coste Apetrea - SMM-guitarist only one record; Nyspolat, jazzrock
-Greg Fitzpatrick - Two albums
Splash - Jazz/prog/folk music arranged for brass. A bit forgotten, good musicianship. A few albums, three I think.
Trettioåriga Kriget - Heavy prog. Changed their name to Kriget and became new wave. Released a few albums in the 70's early 80's (three first are recommended) and then later a few old recordings and reunion albums have been released which is almost a back to form.
Träd Gräs och Stenar - Psych/hippiejam. Released four albums in the 70's but the band never really split up, there have been released several live records lately and even studio albums. The band was called Pärsson Sound in the late 60's and there exist a tripple LP of live material on subliminal Sounds. Before TG&S they were called International Harvester and they released one album under the name Harvester. So the chronology is Pärsson Sound -> International Harvester -> Harvester -> Träd Gräs och Stenar, all in the same musical vein.
Turid - Female folk singer, several albums.
Vildkaktus - Pop/jazzrock/prog. Three albums.
Wasa Express - Ranging from interessting arrangements to bland fusion. several albums.
Älgarnas Trädgård - One obscure collectors item released, kraut-o-rama! Second album released in 2001.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Holy poo poo, thanks for this post. I'm rather an aficionado of Swedish prog and I haven't heard 2/3 of this stuff.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

They are two different bands. Daevid Allen and Gilli Smyth left after You, they had an awkward/interesting transitional album in Shamal, and then they became Pierre Moerlen's Gong, though they didn't start calling themselves that until Downwind. Gazeuse! and Expresso II are very much Pierre Moerlen's Gong albums, though. Daevid and Gilli put together a new, somewhat punkish lineup of Gong that existed concurrently with Pierre Moerlen's Gong and I think only released one album (Floating Anarchy).

Don't they also have an album with Allan Holdsworth on it?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yeah, Holdsworth's on Gazeuse! and Expresso II, but I think that's it. The only album on which he's credited as a composer is Gazeuse!

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 22, 2014

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Rama Lama Magnus posted:

Fläsket Brinner - Psych/hippiejam/folk music. Two albums and one 4 CD live compilation.

That's a great list, lots of bands i've never heard of there.
I've singled these guys out because their grooves are hypnotic and they sound like an early Zappa band at times too.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

I like this song, but the band has the same problem as a lot of other "modern" prog bands in that they just ape stuff from the seventies. When the genre started it was all new and about experimentation and not really setting limits for yourself and whatnot, and now it's 40 years later and people are just copying it. It doesn't really make it bad, but it definetly makes it less interesting.

I agree, but there's some good stuff that these new old sounding prog bands are doing that's worth listening too. It's sort of like listening to a new album from a jazz group. It's an old style of music that's not been popular for decades, but it's still good to listen to new stuff from an old genre. The problem is the label "progressive" since it isn't actually progressive anymore. Initially, progressive rock was meant to describe a way psychedelic artists of the 60s were pushing popular music beyond the standard 3 minute pop song to new frontiers. But in the mid seventies it became identified with a specific sound and after that it sort of grew stale and gradually loss its popularity. The same could be said of genres like new wave, alternative or indie. All of them started out as pop music that was outside the mainstream and pushing the limits of the rock genre, but they all eventually became identified with a particular sound and gradually lost their popularity thereafter. In truth any new uncharted genre should be considered progressive.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 22, 2014

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Pure Reason Revolution

Theres a pretty rare (1000 copies?) EP called "Victorious Cupid" that was released in a magazine or something that only has 4 songs, but it has the first (and my favorite) version of Victorious Cupid, a remix of it, and acoustic versions of The Intention Craft and Nimos & Tambos. It is by far my favorite thing of theirs. I got really lucky and got a copy on ebay.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I actually don't like that version of Victorious Cupid (kinda sparse and sloppy, I think), but the acoustic tracks are so good.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
This is new to me, and I'm really interested. Thanks!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Chocobo posted:

This is new to me, and I'm really interested. Thanks!

You should definitely check out all their stuff, just going chronologically. Starts off really strong and only gets better (though I'm still not really familiar with their 3 newest albums yet). Other highlights for me include We Subside, Light Up Your Eyes I, Wednesday 6th November, and Little Man

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I'm nearly through the whole Crim 40th catalogue now. Wilson better not be working on the 45th or something.

I have everything from Court Of to Discipline except Starless and Bible Back. I have no idea what post-Discipline stuff is like and I've not really heard anything of Starless. Thinking which way is best to go - finish off the immediate chronology and grab Starless or carry on with post-Discipline.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I've not heard the 40th anniversary of Starless and Bible Black, but it's one of the essential King Crimson albums, and one of those rare albums that manages to amaze me in the first ten seconds. The title track (which is an improv piece) and Fracture are taken from the same show as the live album The Night Watch, and I remember preferring the rawer sound of that mix.

I think it's probably easiest to appreciate the post-Discipline studio albums if you listen to them in order.

I also have to reiterate that the live album Absent Lovers is the single best post-'70s Crimson release, and I don't feel like I fully appreciated '80s Crimson until I heard it. Also all the ProjeKct releases are kind of mess to sort through, but I highly recommend listening to ProjeKct Three's Masque if nothing else.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

DaWolfey posted:

That's a great list, lots of bands i've never heard of there.
I've singled these guys out because their grooves are hypnotic and they sound like an early Zappa band at times too.

One of my favourites as well! Check out Arbete & Fritid, Archimedes Badkar, Pärsson Sound/International Harvester/Träd Gräs och Stenar and Baby Grandmothers if you are interested in more imrov-madness.
Also there's this Danish band called Dr Dopo Jam that sounds a bit like the early Mothers, at least on their first album, "Entree". The other albums are a lot more polished an unexciting.