Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There's got to be something funky about Florida registration rules or property taxes, because I'm up in New England and even in the dead of winter when the snowbirds are all long gone I'd still say one in ten cars has Florida plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phone posted:

Towing a motorcycle cross country with a Miata, nothing can go wrong, right guys?
Well... no? There's nothing at all wrong with this? It'll be just fine if he doesn't take the piss with how much he puts in the trailer.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Snowdens Secret posted:

There's got to be something funky about Florida registration rules or property taxes, because I'm up in New England and even in the dead of winter when the snowbirds are all long gone I'd still say one in ten cars has Florida plates.

It's super cheap compared to excise tax + registration rates in New England, so anyone that can get a Florida plate usually tries to.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Well color me informed. I've always assumed that they scrutinized the hell out of anything with wheels out there. I always thought that from reading about the guys that have trouble making something with relatively non threatening mods road legal. So a screeching, wobbling jalopy gets ok'ed as long as its got all the necessary emissions equipment? Is it an annual thing or just when a title changes hands?

My impression of the non inspection states comes from seeing photos of horribly unsafe poo poo heaps on these forums and the frightening tales of barely functioning death traps my sister saw during her time in Florida. Now that I think about it most of the scariest stuff that I can recall seeing had Florida plates. I just imagine going there and having to dodge mad max style heaps as they crabwalk across the lanes. Every other minute one careens over the center barrier trailing flames and oily smoke.

Georgia has no safety inspections and outside of Metro Atlanta and Savannah, no emissions checks either. Your description is a fairly accurate representation of traffic here.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah I'm not seeing the issue with towing a bike across country with a Miata either. Granted, I keep up on the maintenance schedule for mine rather religiously and use high quality lubricants in the diff/trans/motor. I'd say as long as the gross weight isn't above 1500lb he's probably alright.

I have a hitch on my Miata for my Hobie Cat, and I once towed a 2.5ton pickup truck across town. The only thing that was permanently damaged was the clutch disc; taking off from stoplights was a real doozy :haw:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Beach Bum posted:

The only thing that was permanently damaged was the clutch disc; taking off from stoplights was a real doozy :haw:

No hills where you live?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The only suggestion in the thread is to buy an oil cooler. Yeah.

I think the OP has a 1.6L car, so stopping a combined 3500+ lbs on 1.6L brakes is all sorts of aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

TacoHavoc posted:

It's super cheap compared to excise tax + registration rates in New England, so anyone that can get a Florida plate usually tries to.

No inspection means you basically never have to bring it "home" to get it up to date, either. Of course if los federales catch you, the state of mass dings you hard for tax evasion.

I would probably try something like that... if I knew anyone in florida I trusted enough to send paperwork for vehicles to. I don't.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If they're snowbirds, they could live in Florida ~183 days out of the year and get away on a technicality probably.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

No hills where you live?

North Florida so not really. I also planned my route to minimize taking off uphill at a light.

I did get a lot of folks taking pictures or pointing/laughing/:stonk:'ing so I expect to see my car posted here from Jalopnik or something any day now.

kastein posted:

I would probably try something like that... if I knew anyone in florida I trusted enough to send paperwork for vehicles to. I don't.

Hey there buddy :heysexy:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 21, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Beach Bum posted:

Hey there buddy :heysexy:

Way to keep up the fact that nothing but old people, criminals, deadbeat dads , future criminals, and awful CS:GO players live in Florida.

Phone fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 21, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Florida has no state income tax, so many wealthier people who enjoy vacationing there buy property and designate it as their state of residence (even when they don't spend enough time there to qualify and/or are renting out the property on the side). Part of keeping up that farce is a florida license and tagging your cars there.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Galler posted:

Tow the Miata with the bike.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

PainterofCrap posted:

My son's guitar teacher bought a Hummer during the tax writeoff insanity.

Three years later, he bought a Fourtwo.

We all live in New Jersey, where inspections have been pared down to a five-minute ride through the state facility. The last car I sent through was a warmed-over '74 Dart, which was missing the exterior rearview mirror (the entire assembly), one windshield wiper, and the horn did not work. It passed.

That's amazing. I grew up in NJ, and the inspection process in the early 80's was extremely thorough. MY mom's car failed when the HEADLIGHS were misaligned by a few degrees.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Pretty much any engine modification (unless the part is specifically approved by the California Air Review Board, for a specific model of car) is illegal. Motor swaps are fine.
No, they're not. How on earth did you get that idea?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

No, they're not. How on earth did you get that idea?

I think he's referring to the fact that they are...if the engine is the same model year or newer and retains all original equipped emissions equipment?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

the poi posted:

I think he's referring to the fact that they are...if the engine is the same model year or newer and retains all original equipped emissions equipment?

Yeah, they're a pain in the rear end (your swapped vehicle is now, for emissions purposes, whatever the engine came from - and you can't put a truck engine in a car) but by no means are they impossible.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

the poi posted:

yes

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, they're a pain in the rear end (your swapped vehicle is now, for emissions purposes, whatever the engine came from - and you can't put a truck engine in a car) but by no means are they impossible.

and, of course, this leads to hosed up situations where you can turn your Volvo 240 into a diesel Volvo 240 by swapping in a D24, and then be free to do absolutely anything you want to the car afterwards without having to get it smogged... because old diesels are smog-exempt! hooray california

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm sure getting it referee'd with the swap is a bit of a headache, too, but the "no truck motor in a car" bit is what always gets me down. All the good cheap motors are out of trucks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

nitrogen posted:

That's amazing. I grew up in NJ, and the inspection process in the early 80's was extremely thorough. MY mom's car failed when the HEADLIGHS were misaligned by a few degrees.

Yeah, I remember; I've lived here since '85, when I took my '65 Plymouth Fury through five times in an hour, fixing everything that was failing in the lot outside. After trip #5 & it passed, I got a standing O. :kimchi:

Headlight aim, brake skidpad test...gone.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://11foot8.com/

I'm not sure if I saw this first in AI or not. I feel bad for laughing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Slim Pickens posted:

http://11foot8.com/

I'm not sure if I saw this first in AI or not. I feel bad for laughing.

They need to add a sign underneath that says, "No, seriously, 11'8""

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Edit: I'll just let the video do the talking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6BiAr1hAyM

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 22, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Hahaha people are still driving poo poo into that bridge? loving owns.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

You'd better hope the thief doesn't know how to float gears I guess.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
You need to do something like this to get some idiots to pay attention...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nitrogen posted:

Better use of money would be some kind of cell tower that sends a special message to the driver's cell phone that flashes STOP.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Actually, it would be "No, seriously, 11'10.8""

nitrogen posted:

Just imagine if they installed those at all major stop lights. . .

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 22, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
One would think the 'ole PVC bar on chains hanging 11'6" a few carlengths ahead of the bridge itself would get the job done.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Snowdens Secret posted:

One would think the 'ole PVC bar on chains hanging 11'6" a few carlengths ahead of the bridge itself would get the job done.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? They have one that says "If you hit this, you WILL hit the bridge!" And they do and, well, they do.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nitrogen posted:

They already have a blinky sign that detects if the truck is overheight and freaks out, I'm more of the opinion that one of these babies should pop up in their lane to make it easier for first responders to clean it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNVnCLjKrA

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
There's a group of bro-trucks that congregate in a group outside my building every once in a while and in general bro-truck it up (burnouts, rev it up, one has an airhorn that plays Dixie), and whenever they get together, I usually spin my webcam around, because they always will end up doing something crazy. Today one guy was standing in the bed of another dude's F250, and the guy starts driving off. The guy in the back didn't crouch low enough and found out what rolling coal means as both of the truck's stacks blasted him in the face.

edit: Also, just found this on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZFCHk1XCDY (7:20 on is the most interesting part)

Ulfhednar fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 22, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man I bet the differential loved that.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

You'd think the giant "OVERHEIGHT WHEN FLASHING" sign would be enough... but no.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Posting this here because it goes so far beyond just Craigslist.

Someone shoot the bastard that did this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's loving hilarious. Please tell me he listed it as a 1970 chevy SSR

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Powershift posted:

That's loving hilarious. Please tell me he listed it as a 1970 chevy SSR
WHOA WHOA HEY NOW. Don't you dare besmirch the Chevy SSR by associating it with this travesty, it wasn't that terrible :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think that looks pretty cool :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Posting this here because it goes so far beyond just Craigslist.

Someone shoot the bastard that did this.

I kinda like it :shobon: