Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Yeah, that's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

jeffullrich posted:

Thanks for asking. I decided to write this tonight after reading your post and getting a few other similar questions.

This might be a really stupid question/suggestion, but have you ever explored affiliate programs for advertising? It realize it's not something traditional media would do, and it may not seem as professional, but it would allow you to choose your own advertisers.

For example, rather than advertising for GoDaddy, who have the reputation of being thieving cocksuckers in the IT world, you could sign up for an affiliate program for a company with a good reputation, like namecheap.com in the domain name business. You could sign up as an affiliate for Kaspersky anti-virus, which has been considered one of the best if not the best anti-virus programs for over a decade now and get 20% of all sales that come through you. You would not only be helping out your listeners, you would be furthering your reputation as an advertiser of trustworthy products. For basically every IT service or piece of software, there are a couple "best in class" products and almost all of them have affiliate programs that pay you for referrals.

I know more about IT stuff because that's the industry I work in, but I think this would translate to other industries and products too. Find an awesome product or service, see if they have a program that pays for referrals, and cut out the middle men.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
That seems like it'd require a lot more personnel to evaluate such a vast array of products.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
nah, just post a thread in SH/SC

a few more off the top of my head... newegg.com: pretty much everyone knows they are the best online source for computer equipment and electronics (or at least the benchmark for all other sites). They give 2.5% of sales which could really add up. http://www.newegg.com/info/affiliates.aspx

For cloud services I'd go with Rackspace: https://www.rackspace.com/affiliates/ You really can't go wrong by recommending the company with the absolute best customer support in the IT industry.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 18, 2014

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
Doesn't Earwolf already do this with Amazon and a few other companies?

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

I got a little bit drunk the other night and tweeted directly to Scott Aukerman that I wanted some loving T-shirts; the next morning I deleted the tweet and borderline blasted my twitter account off the internet, but the point stands, hey Scott, hey Scott—how about some loving T-shirts

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Goddamnit, why the gently caress aren't more people listening to Hollywood Handbook. Literally every listener who enjoys CBB and I4H will be bussin up hard over the show and it makes me so ticked off they seemingly don't know about it :mad:

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

HOW do we promote Hollywood Handbook? I'm thinking a Kickstarter

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zsinjeh posted:

Goddamnit, why the gently caress aren't more people listening to Hollywood Handbook. Literally every listener who enjoys CBB and I4H will be bussin up hard over the show and it makes me so ticked off they seemingly don't know about it :mad:

I can't seem to get into HH. I download it every week but I never care to listen. I put it on and some episodes are good but none have been great. Maybe those great ones have slipped past me but I never felt the desire to listen to every episode.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
As a diehard Hayes and Sean fan, I do feel that HH is a step down from the greatness that is RSS. But the decline seems to be inherent in the premise. RSS will never be at a loss for material as there will always be new episodes of the next crazy reality show to mock whereas the boys need to generate most of their own stuff to talk about on HH and are more locked into characters. HH is still a great show, however, as this latest episode demonstrates.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

The Ape of Naples posted:

While I personally didn't care about the Snus ads I do appreciate that you, stood up for doing what you believe is right and also took the time to explain your position.

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

nah, just post a thread in SH/SC

a few more off the top of my head... newegg.com: pretty much everyone knows they are the best online source for computer equipment and electronics (or at least the benchmark for all other sites). They give 2.5% of sales which could really add up. http://www.newegg.com/info/affiliates.aspx

For cloud services I'd go with Rackspace: https://www.rackspace.com/affiliates/ You really can't go wrong by recommending the company with the absolute best customer support in the IT industry.

I wouldn't say never (and yes, we do it with Amazon), but it's a hard way to make money. If we had a more narrow vertical, it would work better.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks for the U Talkin' U2 2 Me goon recommendations. I blasted through all 8 eps in a few days. Good poo poo. Great poop, even.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

drainpipe posted:

As a diehard Hayes and Sean fan, I do feel that HH is a step down from the greatness that is RSS. But the decline seems to be inherent in the premise. RSS will never be at a loss for material as there will always be new episodes of the next crazy reality show to mock whereas the boys need to generate most of their own stuff to talk about on HH and are more locked into characters. HH is still a great show, however, as this latest episode demonstrates.

Keeping in mind that I like HH, I think the problem is that they're not making fun of specific movies and TV shows. In an earlier episode, they tear into the Don Juan trailer and it's great. They just don't do that kind of thing often enough.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

crimedog posted:

Keeping in mind that I like HH, I think the problem is that they're not making fun of specific movies and TV shows. In an earlier episode, they tear into the Don Juan trailer and it's great. They just don't do that kind of thing often enough.

That's true. Movie oriented podcasts can have large followings, and they certainly have a niche style to offer.

I miss the sincerity that came through in RSS. Also Antigua and monster trucks.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I have a bmw, a porsche, a monster truck and 30 companies. suck my dick.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'm chowing down on a beautiful baked potata

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Guys stop quoting it or I'm just going to go listen to all the RSS episodes again AND I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

My parents said "Tierra, you have a sparkle, don't let those girls take your sparkle away"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The description on RSS of Scott Disick and Kourtney Kardashian's relationship is so on-point and funny.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GraPar posted:

Possibly my favourite of the 100 running jokes in You Talkin' U2 To Me is their increasingly extreme vilification of 'Old Sourpuss' Brian Eno as being the source of all problems for the band.

I don't see who else could be responsible, surely you're not thinking it's on the lads from Liverpool themselves?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Guys stop quoting it or I'm just going to go listen to all the RSS episodes again AND I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT

What are you so busy with? Do you have 30 companies?

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

i don't, but, neither did kristin though.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Based on y'all's recommendations, I've spent a decent chunk of my weekend (and pre-weekend!) burning through back episodes of Hollywood Handbook, and lemme tell ya, I'm pretty sure I've got a read on why no one listens to it.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Improv4Humans just put out a special 4/20 with Sanz, Gabrus, Gemberling and Still where they're all high/smoking weed during it. Amazing birthday present for myself and dead Hitler.

Really funny episode, pretty much non-stop giggling from everyone not currently talking.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 20, 2014

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

jeff ulrich now that you're posting here please never cancel hollywood handbook because it would break my heart to pizzas. thank you.

DrunkDalek
May 20, 2003

Drinking beer to make music to drink beer to.
The main thing I miss from RSS is that once in a while they'd tip their hand a little and the disdain/snark/mockery would bleed thru when they were ripping into some reality type you can tell they sincerely loathed. Usually this would happen when they were bussing up too hard to keep it together.

With HH, the permasealed hermetic irony just doesn't allow for the sharpest tip of the blade to slip thru into their target.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Man, this 4/20 episode of I4H is a beautiful mess.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Poopy Palpy posted:

And a monster truck. Suck my dick.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Lugaloco posted:

This entire thing is amazing.

Shitghosts!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lugaloco posted:

Seriously I was kinda cringing when I read it because I'm so used to 'lol we're so hiiiiigh' jokes being the laziest thing ever but instead it was just a bunch of legit hilarious people getting high and doing improv and that's kinda the best thing.

"DOES A GOAT LOOK MORE LIKE A HORSE OR A HUMAN?!"

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

"It's just like a turd going in backwards."

"Oh, ok"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I seriously love how after they start getting high all the bits are entirely based off misunderstandings and random tangents rather than the suggestions.

"I have been sober for three days, my name is Ishitori"

"Cut to three days later at the strip club..."

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"Cut to three days later at the strip club..."
Your coupons are o good here. This is Dusty's Drip Tub.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

jeff ulrich now that you're posting here please never cancel hollywood handbook because it would break my heart to pizzas. thank you.

There are no plans to cancel the show. Seriously.

But I'm curious, if we lose $15,000/year doing the show (and our production expenses are not high), why should we keep doing it? Instead of, say, investing in another show with greater potential, using it for employee bonuses, etc. Or I could take some money for a change, I have a young daughter and living in LA is expensive. For that kind of money, I could send her to the best international school in the city. Or upgrade from my Hyundai to, well, most anything else (I would of course choose the school).

Again, I love the show and don't have plans to cancel it, but your comment made me feel like it was fair for me to ask the question. There are real costs to real people to make these shows.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

jeffullrich posted:

But I'm curious, if we lose $15,000/year doing the show (and our production expenses are not high), why should we keep doing it? Instead of, say, investing in another show with greater potential, using it for employee bonuses, etc. Or I could take some money for a change, I have a young daughter and living in LA is expensive. For that kind of money, I could send her to the best international school in the city. Or upgrade from my Hyundai to, well, most anything else (I would of course choose the school).

Again, I love the show and don't have plans to cancel it, but your comment made me feel like it was fair for me to ask the question. There are real costs to real people to make these shows.

IMO, Do What Thou Wilt

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
man improv420humans was amazing, so giggly and silly.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

scary ghost dog posted:

IMO, Do What Thou Wilt

yeah, HH is a pretty good show but don't let us keep you from your cool car or w/e jeff

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

jeffullrich posted:

That's a super hard question to answer and probably one that only someone intimate with your particular situation (ie you) could answer. If HH is literally the only thing standing between you and sending your daughter to a great school, then it'd be pretty hard for me to say you should keep HH. But I have a feeling it's much more complicated than that.

What I'm trying to say is you should cancel HH and use that money to get Bono on U Talkin U2 To Me? so he can finally get the Scotts some tshirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
None of this would be a problem if more people would just listen to HH. Wake up America!