Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What happens to make you have to restart Crystal B? Every single ship is Zoltan/auto for the first three sectors and you find literally no weapons? The thing starts with a goddamn cloak and boarderd that let you disable the enemy weapons in like 20 seconds.

The only reasonable one I can think of is "Zoltan ship with an insanely awesome loadout in the first sector" but that would gently caress up most ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I finally did it. Stealth C on hard.

Two Defense I drones helped a ton during the first two phases. I switched out a Defense drone for the Anti-Personnel drone in phase 3 figuring it would be nice against the boarders. It wasn't. Turns out it considers mind controlled crew an enemy and will happily fight with them and there is nothing you can do about that short of disabling it, at which point I guess it's a decent punching bag for the mind control victim.

Stealth A is up next :pervert:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

a!n posted:

I switched out a Defense drone for the Anti-Personnel drone in phase 3 figuring it would be nice against the boarders. It wasn't.Turns out it considers mind controlled crew an enemy and will happily fight with them and there is nothing you can do about that short of disabling it, at which point I guess it's a decent punching bag for the mind control victim.

That's actually a pretty good idea.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Well the problem is that it has to do it just when you want it to do it. It might just decide to target a boarder first when you would want it to stop your Mantis crew member from tearing apart the shield room.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh is getting a drone recovery arm in the first three sectors mandatory for an Engi A ship or am I just doing something wrong? RNG! :argh:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Arglebargle III posted:

Ugh is getting a drone recovery arm in the first three sectors mandatory for an Engi A ship or am I just doing something wrong? RNG! :argh:

Or another weapon, or a boarding crew + teleporter, there isn't some linear formula to win with a given ship.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've only just started playing this game, I've got to the flagship several times with Engi A, unlocking all 3 achievements in one run and slaughtering everything in my path, then the flagship rips me open like a wet paper bag every time, never even seen its third stage. On Easy too. Getting to the flagship and fighting the flagship is like night and day, good fun though.

I unlocked Stealth A somewhere along the way, but no shields looks scary, so I guess I'll go back to the Kestrel for a bit to try and get my first win.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Konsek posted:

I've only just started playing this game, I've got to the flagship several times with Engi A, unlocking all 3 achievements in one run and slaughtering everything in my path, then the flagship rips me open like a wet paper bag every time, never even seen its third stage. On Easy too. Getting to the flagship and fighting the flagship is like night and day, good fun though.

I unlocked Stealth A somewhere along the way, but no shields looks scary, so I guess I'll go back to the Kestrel for a bit to try and get my first win.

You really have to be preparing the whole game for the flagship if you want to defeat it. After having only beaten the game once, ever, back when it first came out, I actually racked up two wins last night, Slug C and Mantis B. Both times I was preparing for the flagship long before I got to it. It was especially noticeable on the Mantis ship, where I had a Breach 2, Glaive, and Pike that I didn't use more than a half a dozen times before I got to the flagship, because I was boarding everything anyway. So even though I didn't need them at all I still had them usable because I knew I'd need them eventually. It was a hell of a fight even then, check it:

May the four brave souls that perished on the enemy ship as my glaive beam rent it asunder rest in peace.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

And with that, I consider this game officially beaten so I don't have to put up with its bullshit anymore :colbert: I know I used crystal B I don't care lalalala

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

A jargogle posted:

And with that, I consider this game officially beaten so I don't have to put up with its bullshit anymore :colbert:

No, now you have to do it with every ship. :v:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Playing this game just to beat the flagship is like masturbating just to feel friction on your dick.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Not to mention there are now encounters which are (in my opinion) more deadly than the flagship in the penultimate sectors.

The other day I ran into a Slug ship with cloaking, 4 shields, a Vulcan, and 2 regular missile launchers. It also had 45+ evasion. The only reason I won was because I had a good boarding party and had hacking to cut the evasion and whittle down their weapons system.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Two flaks and a Vulcan:

No damage taken at any point. I didn't even get the Vulcan until sector 8, but yeesh. Zoltan are now a #1 buy for me. Also, stealth weapons + pre-igniter.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is there a way to direct the Combat Drone to attack a specific target?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Nope. Also, no way to direct the path or landing of a Boarding/Ion Intruder drone, no way to dictate the timing of a beam drone, etc. That's the trade-off of using drones.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Whats the trade on with them? I find drones to be completely useless. In this game, timing and picking your shots are everything. Being able to choose when and where your shots are going is paramount, because enemy defenses get ridiculous fast. You have to be able to learn how to do so if you want to win; its the difference between a hopeless fight and a winnable fight, often.

Drones don't do that. They can't be counted on to do the right things. That ion drone is taking down their mind control unit while they have a vulcan cannon spooling up. The beam drone won't time its shots to hit when I take the enemy's shields down. Etc.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Probably my best ship ever. It had a weapon pre-igniter and a reconstructive teleport too.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Davincie posted:

Probably my best ship ever. It had a weapon pre-igniter and a reconstructive teleport too.

Jesus Christ

You know something's wrong when you leave your Burst Laser II unpowered because it's the worst weapon you have.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Slaan posted:

Whats the trade on with them? I find drones to be completely useless. In this game, timing and picking your shots are everything. Being able to choose when and where your shots are going is paramount, because enemy defenses get ridiculous fast. You have to be able to learn how to do so if you want to win; its the difference between a hopeless fight and a winnable fight, often.

Drones don't do that. They can't be counted on to do the right things. That ion drone is taking down their mind control unit while they have a vulcan cannon spooling up. The beam drone won't time its shots to hit when I take the enemy's shields down. Etc.

Defensive drones are great. Defense 1 has an extremely high chance to negate missiles. Defense 2 has an even better chance of knocking down missiles, and when there aren't missiles, it shoots down lasers and might as well be an extra layer of shielding. (powered and recharged independently from the shield system)

Internal drones are kind of mixed. System Repairers are super handy, esp. for putting out fires (un-burnable, very effective) and hull breaches. They're kind of obsolete when you get 6+ crewmans, though. Anti-personnel drones are a little underwhelming. If you get an ion boarding drone into their ship (which is easy - they pierce shields) you are basically neutralizing two random enemy systems. They do get some nifty blue+ happy options on events, though. Using a boarding drone to deal with Giant Alien Spiders is one my favorite bits.

Offensive drones don't have selective timing or targeting, but in terms of shots per time, they're mightier than ship weapons. A Shooty 1 attack drone will take shots about as often as shields recharge - so you're pretty much negating a pip of the enemy's shield. And that's on a power/upgrade/system track separate from your guns. And if you do take down their shields, you can finish them off all the faster. (limiting their opportunity to get off any parting shots, missiles, or possibly escapes) Beam & Firebeam drones - if you're able to take down the enemy's shields, they will eviscerate the innards much faster than equivalent weaponry.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Slaan posted:

The benefit is that they fire faster than your ship's weapons. If you have enough firepower to drop the enemy's shields for more than a few seconds, a drone can do a lot of damage.

That said, I never use offensive drones outside of Engi A. For the cost of a good drone build you might as well board for the extra scrap. I keep wanting to make a fire drone worthwhile, but I never find the right supporting weapons.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Another good thing to be said about drones is that they're additional fire power that isn't tied into upgrading your weapons, and just having a Drone Control system gives you a lot of options based on the stuff you find/buy.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Davincie posted:

Holy moly :stare: Only thing I could think to add to that is a heal bomb just for maximum boarding goodness and maybe a hull drone just incase you somehow take any real damage. Not that any of that is needed.

Oh and a crystal guy :getin:

Edit: time to play crystal B again and gently caress up weapon rooms drat this thread.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Davincie posted:

I'd swap out the med bay for a clone bay but even so holy poo poo.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Well that was easy :)

Stealth C is a beast if you can make it past the first sector. The shield drone is enough to get you through almost anything. Get cloak before shields. The whole game I was looking for a second shield drone so I wouldn't even have to buy regular shields. Oh well, maybe another game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Beam drones are good with stackable ion weaponry. They do damage very rapidly and dead ships can't fire back.

I can't really justify fire drones though, they're just way too slow for 3 power. I guess they're good for that one ship burning achievement.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Any ion weapon + any fire weapon, drone or not, is an absurdly powerful combination. The fire beam is great but it takes 20 seconds to fire! If your ion shot to drop shields misses that's 20 seconds + ion recharge time.

With a fire drone you can be laying waste with your first ion shot which can happen as soon as 4 seconds into a battle.

Judge Bread
May 31, 2012

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED.
What's better for a Zoltan B run, Halberd beam or pike beam?

Judge Bread fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 21, 2014

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Inadequately posted:

Nope. Also, no way to direct the path or landing of a Boarding/Ion Intruder drone, no way to dictate the timing of a beam drone, etc. That's the trade-off of using drones.

There absolutely is a way to dictate the timing of a beam drone - tactical powering. Turn it off just before it finishes crossing over the enemy ship, take down the shields, then re-power it. It takes a little practice but it can be done reliably.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
FIRE EVERYTHING!

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

:(

I feel like a bad person a lot when I have a clone bay

Judge Bread
May 31, 2012

I seriously love the Zoltan B. Just had my first normal difficulty victory.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
First run with Rock A (on easy), not a bad result:

-Unlocked Rock B by killing an enemy with defense drones using only missiles, and finding the secret sector
-Unlocked the Crystal Cruiser in said secret sector
-Unlocked the Stealth Ship by killing the enemy flagship

I now have all A-type cruisers. Still need to unlock B-variants of Lanius, Crystal, and Stealth, and I only have the C-version of Kestrel and Mantis. Quite a bit of work left!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

BloodWulfe posted:

I'm fast becoming a clone bay-only player both because it just has far more utility than a med bay but also because all of the blue events involving it are twistedly hilarious!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Engi B, get all the way to the last jump before the last stand. Engi C is the last ship I need to unlock. Yeah, sure I run out of fuel and have the rebel fleet catch me. Ugh this game.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Wow, someone with a good reason to get angry about ponies.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Woah,

um, that was close

This was seconds after a power surge that absolutely ravaged me because cloak was down and my engines were damaged.

I had to think long and hard about selling my starting bio beam for that hull beam but it was the right choice, I could not have won without it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

BloodWulfe posted:

I don't think trying to take the ponies ever works out for you.

At least you were able to mitigate the consequences of your bad decisions, though. An invaluable thing in a roguelike.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Someone tell me how to not suck with Slug A please. I've only done a couple of runs, but they all end when I can't manage to pull out enough offense or defense to keep up with enemy ships. I like the bio beam, but without better weapon support I end up in a situation where I can't get through shields to use it.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Nighthand posted:

Someone tell me how to not suck with Slug A please. I've only done a couple of runs, but they all end when I can't manage to pull out enough offense or defense to keep up with enemy ships. I like the bio beam, but without better weapon support I end up in a situation where I can't get through shields to use it.

Slug A sucks took me forever to beat the game with it. Only use the biobeam (which also sucks) for the first couple of sectors, then sell it for real weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So that link to the file for all the ships doesn't work anymore. Anyone got a new link?

• Locked thread